The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mobile Game Development

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Hey guys,

I am currently in the beta stages of my game and have got 20 people to test already.

Before I started building the game I started the instragram account and have now grown it to 30k followers who are all directly in the same niche of my game.

Question: How should I go about capitalizing the released on my game when having 30k followers?
What kinds of things should I do to promote the game to this audience? All ideas are weclome!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
How big is your interaction? Are those followers organic?

You can create a really great trailer for it and post the trailer.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
How big is your interaction? Are those followers organic?

You can create a really great trailer for it and post the trailer.

My interactions with my followers is great. I get about 1k likes per post.

And yeah I can definitrly make a trailer and share it but I also think I can do more things things to as well to get the most downloads.

And why would I want to contact influencers when my account is very large.

Bk2498

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 16, 2017
Canada
If you have developed a following on your Instagram, then leverage that audience as much as you can without coming on too strong. Unless you are planning on saving it for the launch, posting in-app screenshots leading up could do you a lot of good. It gives potential users a preview and at the same time it plants a seed in their head, so that when you do release it and they have an opportunity to download the game, it will not be a brand new idea. If it is not a foreign concept to them, they won't have to spend as much time processing the picture, and in turn will be quicker to begin the "download or not to download" reaction in their head. The difference between a cold lead and "somewhat warm lead" is bigger than you might expect.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
My interactions with my followers is great. I get about 1k likes per post.

And yeah I can definitrly make a trailer and share it but I also think I can do more things things to as well to get the most downloads.

And why would I want to contact influencers when my account is very large.

You could give your followers an incentive, eg. Free 50 crystals, free cosmetic item.

Well, 30k is big but you're looking at it seriously wrong here. 30k followers might lead you to 500-1000 downloads, if you target someone that has 300k followers in a proper niche, it can net you 5k-10k downloads. Those numbers are obviously just random numbers but you get the point.

You get 1k likes, that means roughly 1 in every 30 interacts with your post. Let's say that even with a 10% download rate (being pretty generous), you'd have 100 downloads -- 1 in every 3 actually stick around; you've got 33 users. The more you scale, the higher your numbers will be. Simple.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
If you have developed a following on your Instagram, then leverage that audience as much as you can without coming on too strong. Unless you are planning on saving it for the launch, posting in-app screenshots leading up could do you a lot of good. It gives potential users a preview and at the same time it plants a seed in their head, so that when you do release it and they have an opportunity to download the game, it will not be a brand new idea. If it is not a foreign concept to them, they won't have to spend as much time processing the picture, and in turn will be quicker to begin the "download or not to download" reaction in their head. The difference between a cold lead and "somewhat warm lead" is bigger than you might expect.

You could give your followers an incentive, eg. Free 50 crystals, free cosmetic item.

Well, 30k is big but you're looking at it seriously wrong here. 30k followers might lead you to 500-1000 downloads, if you target someone that has 300k followers in a proper niche, it can net you 5k-10k downloads. Those numbers are obviously just random numbers but you get the point.

You get 1k likes, that means roughly 1 in every 30 interacts with your post. Let's say that even with a 10% download rate (being pretty generous), you'd have 100 downloads -- 1 in every 3 actually stick around; you've got 33 users. The more you scale, the higher your numbers will be. Simple.

Thanks so much guys for the advice. So right now the plan in terms of marketing is:

1). Do a beta launch of the game - Done
2). Start dropping information about the game, such as screenshots, GIFs, etc. up until the launch data. Maybe once or twice a week- In progress

Additionally this comment:

Lead me to think about this solution. When I release the game I'm thinking about running some type of contests for the game. Since the game is a competitive style game where it would be easy to do this type of thing. Maybe letting people compete to get the highest score, etc. and they must DM the photo to us to enter the content. The winner will be randomly picked and win some type of prize.

I think this may help with getting people to download it and also may help word of mouth.

thoughts?

Sinjen

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jan 8, 2013
You could create an App Install ad on FB and IG. When you develop the game, make sure you or your dev integrates the FB SDK (the whole thing, not just FB login). The SDK allows deep analytics and also for you to be able to run FB Audience Network ads. The reality is that while 30k followers is great for many products, a successful app would have that many downloads in a day.

As for contests and such...that's just a headache...your game will likely already have leaderboards so trying to cobble together a way for people to send you screenshots etc is going to be a nightmare. If you want some kind of interactivity with the audience maybe just do a giveaway. Tell them they need to comment on a post and a random winner will get a $5 or $10 iTunes gift card.

Influencers are a great idea with apps. It's easier with YouTubers as you can get a direct download link in the video, as opposed to IG where there's more friction. But if you get someone with several hundred thousand or more followers to give you a shout (or better yet, a video), it's just a matter of math to see how well it works. Organic downloads are still the best way to get up the charts on the store(s).

If you wanted to deal with the extra legwork, you could offer an ad free version (or free pro version if your app is free/paid). The recommendation upthread of giving away in game currency can be done fairly easily by having your dev create in-game incentives. Many games do this, eg. "100 crystals for liking on FB, posting on Twitter, etc".

Good luck

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
I think your problem is that you're hesitating in spending money to market your product. If you believe in your product -- you'll do anything to bring it to life with real active users, unfortunately usually that takes money (or luck, think Flappy Bird). Your app needs to stand out from the rest of the cluttered marketplace, so either run ads and/or incentives.

I think you should spend a couple hundred dollars and get an influencer in your niche to advertise it, gain users, gain feedback and implement changes according to good feedback, keep users happy and your product will spread by word of mouth.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
@Sinjen Thanks a lot for your feedback! I currently have Facebook integrated deeply and analytics as well. Currently my strategy is the game is free with in-app purchases, and rewarded video ads. Meaning the player can watch video ads and get in-game currency or some incentive.

I'm the developer myself(studying computer science). So i'll definitely be integrating this feature where the player gets an extra life or currency by sharing the game.

Thanks for your feedback.

@KSR I agree. It does take the right app/game, good timing, great marketing, and a good amount of luck to have a "successful" app(Depending on whats a success to someone). I definitely plan to invest some money into paid installs to get the ball rolling. More than likely I will be doing IG and FB app install ads.

I need to hire a designer to make some good ad creatives for me. So thats up on my list of things to do. And yeah the influencers in the niche of my game actually go for pretty cheap being that the niche is not highly in depend like the fashion industry or something similar. So to get a influencer to post about your app/game is fairly cheap. Under $100 in most cases, for 12 hours or more.

Sinjen

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jan 8, 2013
@Sinjen Currently my strategy is the game is free with in-app purchases, and rewarded video ads.

I definitely think that's the most effective strat these days. You seem like you're really putting in thought and effort and it's great that you're doing the development. I think there's so much to be learned about the business from actually (even if just initially) building the apps yourself.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
I definitely think that's the most effective strat these days. You seem like you're really putting in thought and effort and it's great that you're doing the development. I think there's so much to be learned about the business from actually (even if just initially) building the apps yourself.

Yeah absolutely. I'm definitely going hard at. Giving it all I got. I just finished up a beta test with some of the followers from my IG about 20-30 of them. No guarantees but hoping for the best. If I can make $400-$600 a month from the game I would call it success. I have a few other comp sci friends who have mobile games out as well who make $1k-$2k per month. When one of them originally released the game he was making $4k or more a day for about 8 months or so then slowly declined and now 2 years later he still makes about $2k a month or more from the game. Definitely has inspired me to keep pushing.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Progress update

I've sealed the deal with a partnership with one of the biggest brands on instagram. They have 8 social media pages with my target audience, totalling 1.3 million followers.

- The company will be giving me $4000 worth of advertisement on their pages. And we will also be running contests in which winners will get prizes. The prizes will come from the companies line of products(Bait, fish attractant, apparel, etc).

- In return, I will add their logo to the front screen of my game that will say "Powered by " and have their logo. I will also feature their fish attractant product in the game as a "bonus/power-up". When a player gets this, I will display "[Name of brand] power up". What I like about this, is that is not forced or feel like things are out of place. Everything fits nicely and effortlessly.

- I will be finishing the game this weekend/early this coming week and plan to release the game next weekend! Hopefully, all of this will get the game out there.

- For the game, I need to finish the following: Add the brands power up, create a nice presentation for the power up, fix algorithm for generating enemies(There should always be a path to escape), make boss fights more "juicy", finish adding analytics.

Pretty excited about how I networked on this and got a great partnership from it.

Lets rock and roll!

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Progress Update:

- One of the forum members here reached out to me offering his services to make my icon. Decided to use his services. So far he's an amazing designer. I'll be posting more about him and his work later. I think people would find him beneficial.
- The game is 98% complete. Just testing.
- You can now see the fisher who is trying to steal your bass.
- Fixed the algorithm for the fisherman. As he gets towards lower health he starts to fight a little harder to not die aka leave the fish.
- Decided to go with a logistic function in order to have the bosses difficulty grow but eventually cap off after a certain point.(The game only has 50 rounds/levels). Good thing I paid a little attention during Calc 2 class Lol
- Officially sealed the deal with the partners for the game who will be marketing the game strategically to their 1.3 million followers across multiple social media accounts.
- I also think im going to release this thursday just before memorial weekend.

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
I haven't updated this thread in a while because i've been super busy hustling.

The game was originally supposed to be release about 3 weeks ago, but I ending up delaying it a few weeks because the game was not ready yet and I refused to have a rushed product.

So here's the latest:

- The game is set to be released this friday!
- I currently have a major fishing brand giving me over $4k worth of advertising on their social media pages with over 1M followers total, in exchange for product placement and some branding in my game.
- The sponsor also connected me with 3 other brands. 2 of them came on board, and one is actually a manufacture of a boat called Ultraskiff(Ultraskiff | Round Boat | Round Skiff | Round Watercraft | Round Boats | Roundboat | Ultra | Skiff | 360 | Round Watercrafts | Round Skiffs | Small Boat | One Man Boat | Sales | Dealer | Personal Watercraft | Portable | Fishing Platform | Kayak | Fishing). I offered the CEO of ultraskiff product placement in the game as well in exchange, they will give away a ultraskiff boat to the winner of our contest at the end! This will be the ultimate prize.
- The original sponsor will also be giving away prizes to every single person who participates in the contest.(Gift cards, tee-shirts, fishing gear, etc).
- The 3rd sponsor is a popular fisher who has a large youtube channel and instagram following. I offered him a place to be one of the power anglers(fishers) in the game and also have his famous boat that people recognize in the game as well. In return he will promote the game for 2 weeks on his IG(I gave him specific details on this), and he will also be recording 2 youtube videos of him playing the game as well.

- The game is ready to go and has been beta tested vigorously.

Overall, i've worked very very hard on the game and to secure the proper marketing efforts in order to give the game a chance to succeed.

I'll be updating with more after the game is released on Friday!

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Okay guys! So I released the game on Friday and here's the updates....

Overall this has been one of the most successful releases i've had out of my ten games.

I release last Friday after delaying the game 3 times. This was frustrating because after working 6 long hard months, I was ready to release.(Literally).

After working with my sponsors we created some really cool promos for the contest and some awesome videos. We started the ads friday and the first day the game got 960 downloads and made about $112 during the first 16 hours.

Saturday was another good day. We ran posts again on one of my sponsors 10 social media pages and the game got ALOT of traction. I received over 1,000 emails and DM's on Instagram from people telling me how much they love and are addicted to the game. Even my friends were addicted and sending me screenshots of their scores. Total downloads for this day were 1.6k downloads.

On Saturday the game made $230 and majority of this revenue came from in-app purchases and about 40% coming from ad revenue.

Sunday I thought it would be a low downloads day but actually turned out to be one of the highest. Total downloads were 2.5k. And revenue also a little less than doubled.

I have analytics installed in the game and so far retention is through the rough and the stats are really good. Over half of the users who install the game keep the game and play it daily. Each user is playing multiple times a day for 10-12 minutes per session.

I think the game has been most successful because of the game design and how much I really focused and studied the art of game design. I also became smarter in my marketing and manage to get sponsors for the game to promote it.

So far everything is going well and today is the 4th day the game has been released. The game is now starting to rank in the top charts on iOS and on Android. Its ranked at #40 on the Arcade games in the U.S Top Free Charts.

also, I want to give a shoutout to @fracturize who designed my games icon! He did an absolutely stunning job and I would like to attribute some of the games success to him creating a gorgeous icon for the game! I will definitely be using him as my designer for my future projects. If you guys have design work you need done, I highly highly recommend him!

Anyway, Here are some links for my game

IG Page: #1 Mobile Fishing Game (@hungrybassprogame) • Instagram photos and videos
App Store: Hungry Bass Pro on the App Store
Google Play: Hungry Bass Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

Last edited:

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I've heard that the majority of in-app purchases tend to come from iOS users, while Android users make up more of the ad revenue.

Does this seem to apply to your mobile games too? (if you don't mind sharing)

Good work!

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
I've heard that the majority of in-app purchases tend to come from iOS users, while Android users make up more of the ad revenue.

Good work!

Yes this would be correct

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
With 38 ratings & an avg of 5 stars, looks like the game has been very well received thus far...

Congrats & keep going!

Okay guys! So I released the game on Friday and here's the updates....

Overall this has been one of the most successful releases i've had out of my ten games.

I release last Friday after delaying the game 3 times. This was frustrating because after working 6 long hard months, I was ready to release.(Literally).

After working with my sponsors we created some really cool promos for the contest and some awesome videos. We started the ads friday and the first day the game got 960 downloads and made about $112 during the first 16 hours.

Saturday was another good day. We ran posts again on one of my sponsors 10 social media pages and the game got ALOT of traction. I received over 1,000 emails and DM's on Instagram from people telling me how much they love and are addicted to the game. Even my friends were addicted and sending me screenshots of their scores. Total downloads for this day were 1.6k downloads.

On Saturday the game made $230 and majority of this revenue came from in-app purchases and about 40% coming from ad revenue.

Sunday I thought it would be a low downloads day but actually turned out to be one of the highest. Total downloads were 2.5k. And revenue also a little less than doubled.

I have analytics installed in the game and so far retention is through the rough and the stats are really good. Over half of the users who install the game keep the game and play it daily. Each user is playing multiple times a day for 10-12 minutes per session.

I think the game has been most successful because of the game design and how much I really focused and studied the art of game design. I also became smarter in my marketing and manage to get sponsors for the game to promote it.

So far everything is going well and today is the 4th day the game has been released. The game is now starting to rank in the top charts on iOS and on Android. Its ranked at #40 on the Arcade games in the U.S Top Free Charts.

also, I want to give a shoutout to @nellement who designed my games icon! He did an absolutely stunning job and I would like to attribute some of the games success to him creating a gorgeous icon for the game! I will definitely be using him as my designer for my future projects. If you guys have design work you need done, I highly highly recommend him!

Anyway, Here are some links for my game

IG Page: #1 Mobile Fishing Game (@hungrybassprogame) • Instagram photos and videos
App Store: Hungry Bass Pro on the App Store
Google Play: Hungry Bass Pro - Android Apps on Google Play

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Good work!

Been my experience as well

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Do you have any apps out?

Yes, if you search for Mega Rock, LLC, you'll find the portfolio I sold 2 years ago. Most of the apps are still live.

Here's one article about it. It's pretty easy to find more

techcrunch.com/2013/02/20/nextpeer/

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Yes, if you search for Mega Rock, LLC, you'll find the portfolio I sold 2 years ago. Most of the apps are still live.

Here's one article about it. It's pretty easy to find more

techcrunch.com/2013/02/20/nextpeer/

Wow! That's pretty awesome man. Are you still making apps? I also wanted to Integrate multiplayer into my game as well! Is nextpeer still around?

coder_for_life22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Apr 24, 2017
Washington DC
Update:

- Things have somewhat dropped since the weekend. Each day downloads are decreasing while my instagram and core group of players are still playing the game a lot.
- Revenue is still pretty good with the game even though downloads are not how they were for the first few days.
- this weekend my sponsors and I will be pushing social media posts a lot especially since its a holiday weekend and people will have more free time on their hands.
- I would also like to add some type of multiplayer feature to the game as well in an update.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Wow! That's pretty awesome man. Are you still making apps? I also wanted to Integrate multiplayer into my game as well! Is nextpeer still around?

Took a little break, but I am back in the game now... running various experiments while I plot my next move...

I want my next business to solve a problem a la TMF /UNSCRIPTED

As for Nextpeer, they were bought by one of those messenger services, Viber, a couple years ago. They were never able to solve the monetization problem & I guess Viber saw value. I'm sure there must be other solutions out there though, even if they are not as simple to plug & play

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
What are common pitfalls to avoid for an independant developer such as myself? I'm still learning how to code and I have a deadline of releasing my first app by at the latest, end of the year. I'm spending most of my time learning how to code, learning as much as possible about marketing the app, and designing a rough draft of the user interface (design is pretty new to me). Thanks for your insight...

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
What are common pitfalls to avoid for an independant developer such as myself? I'm still learning how to code and I have a deadline of releasing my first app by at the latest, end of the year. I'm spending most of my time learning how to code, learning as much as possible about marketing the app, and designing a rough draft of the user interface (design is pretty new to me). Thanks for your insight...
Not to discourage you at all, but it takes quite a while to become truly proficient at coding

Though you can continue if you're passionate about that aspect, the fastest path to results will be purchasing a source code & hiring a developer from upwork/freelancer so you can focus on the marketing aspect

Though it somewhat limits your options, you will get to market potentially next month as opposed to next year and be able to learn about the business side in real time much quicker

Some resources to check out:

-Bluecloud blog & podcast
-App Masters blog & podcast
-Daily Spark podcast (mine)
-appbusiness.co
-dailyspark.co/appsecrets

Best of luck, man

Last edited:

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Not to discourage you at all, but it takes quite a while to become truly proficient at coding

Though you can continue if you're passionate about that aspect, the fastest path to results will be purchasing a source code & hiring a developer from upwork/freelancer so you can focus on the marketing aspect

Though it somewhat limits your options, you will get to market potentially next month as opposed to next year and be able to learn about the business side in real time much quicker

Some resources to check out:

-Bluecloud blog & podcast
-App Masters blog & podcast
-Daily Spark podcast (mine)
-appbusiness.co
-dailyspark.co/appbusiness

Best of luck, man

Thanks for the advice. The app idea that I have are very simple for a very niche market. I can probably build it right now but I worry about the user experience. How did you beta test your game? How do you know if you have a great app with a great user experience? How did you market your app?I've been coding and learning everyday. I'll definitely check those resources out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.