The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Calling all Materials Experts

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Hi Materials Experts,

I am looking for a textured plastic or cloth that has has some "give" with an adhesive backing. I have looked on Ali-Baba but am not sure what to call this and haven't found anything with its properties.

This is not the exact product, but let's say for arguments sake, that I am making a stick-on cell phone case enhancer that has the following properties:
  1. Could be plastic or cloth - preferably eco friendly
  2. Adhesive backing - sticks onto your existing cell phone case
  3. The plastic/cloth needs to have some "give" like the rubber part of an Otterbox phone case
  4. Allows you to grip it more - textured
  5. Can have designs printed on it
The hardest part is figuring out what to call it when searching and who to source it from right now...

PVC stickers won't work because they are not textured, unless I am missing something?

Thanks,
MG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

zhack

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 6, 2017
Philippines
interesting. how about vinyl?
Anyway, here are some terms I found:
  • Thermoplastic elastomers (TPE)
  • Ethylene vinyl acetate (EVA)
  • Polypropylene (PP)
  • polyethylene (PE)
  • Polyolefins (PO)
Hope you found what you're looking for, and if you do, please let us know.

Edit: (you may use acronyms and attach terms like sheet to search on alibaba i.e. EVA sheet)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Sorry I didn't respond earlier but I have been having problems with an erratic modem and finally it has died. Now with a new one I'm able to answer.

Flexible vinyl might be the answer, It can be molded with a textured finish. The OP's biggest concern should be the adhesive. I would specify 3M's Very High Bond (VHB) double sided adhesive. Good Chinese manufacturers will source that for you. Chinese adhesives might be OK but you would need to do serious testing.

Alternately, flexible vinyl can be bought with a pressure sensitive adhesive backing and embossed to produce a textured finish. This would be the lower cost option rather than molding.

Walter

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
Thank you everyone, I will continue my search!

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
The OP's biggest concern should be the adhesive. I would specify 3M's Very High Bond (VHB) double sided adhesive. Good Chinese manufacturers will source that for you. Chinese adhesives might be OK but you would need to do serious testing.

Alternately, flexible vinyl can be bought with a pressure sensitive adhesive backing and embossed to produce a textured finish. This would be the lower cost option rather than molding.

Walter

Hi Walter, I have been looking at manufacturers based on the recommendations on this thread.

Do the people that produce the plastics also apply the adhesive backing?

Are these folks typically one stop shops or in your experience, does your product need to be routed from one factory to another for processing and production?

Thanks,
MG

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Hi Walter, I have been looking at manufacturers based on the recommendations on this thread.

Do the people that produce the plastics also apply the adhesive backing?

Are these folks typically one stop shops or in your experience, does your product need to be routed from one factory to another for processing and production?

Thanks,
MG
If the suppliers doesn't apply the adhesive they are not the ones to buy from.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that debossing is simpler to do and should cost less than embossing. The difference between the two is:
Debossing = recessed
Embossing = raised.

An embossed texture will usually give more grip than a debossed texture, but I have seen plenty of debossed items that have good grip.

Walter

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
If I understand the spec correctly then either side of the material will have different properties. Try adding "Laminate" with some of the word phrases offered above- as it is often used if multiple layers of sheet material are combined.

also have a look at fabric laminated neoprene

Last edited:

caezlar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Apr 11, 2014
HK,China
the material is carbon fibre, can make it with different texture, translucent and self adhesion,. it be used for protect the back of phone.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.