The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

General Q's about Filing LLC for e-commerce site

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
I've tried using the search function and have spent some time reading articles from Nolo and other legal advice websites, but I still have a few unanswered questions that I'm hoping somebody can help to address from their own experience.

Background:
- Live and work in California
- Business is e-commerce, selling products manufactured abroad through my own website
- Goods are received and shipped from warehouse in California
- Sales can come in from any of the states, and let's pretend anywhere in the world

I think that's enough information to go on here. So my partner and I want to form an LLC and we now need to determine whether to file the LLC within the state of California, or file within a more business-friendly state, such as Nevada or Delaware.

From what I've read, California really likes receiving their taxes, so my question is simple: If I were to file an LLC in Nevada, despite the business operations taking place in California, would I need to file a registration with California and still pay the minimum $800/year franchise tax to the state?

Second question, if you don't mind: If I elect to have my LLC taxed as a corporation, does any of this matter to California? We'd now be bound by corporate tax laws, so perhaps Nevada would be more favorable?

I intend to speak with an accountant and/or attorney before following through with anything, but I'm hoping to get a general understanding so that I can ask more specific and relevant questions to any professional.

Thank you for your time!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MetalGear

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Jan 24, 2017
Narnia
From what I've read, California really likes receiving their taxes, so my question is simple: If I were to file an LLC in Nevada, despite the business operations taking place in California, would I need to file a registration with California and still pay the minimum $800/year franchise tax to the state?

Thank you for your time!

Would talk to a tax pro, but from what I have read usually it is better to just file under the state where you are based

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've tried using the search function and have spent some time reading articles from Nolo and other legal advice websites, but I still have a few unanswered questions that I'm hoping somebody can help to address from their own experience.

Background:
- Live and work in California
- Business is e-commerce, selling products manufactured abroad through my own website
- Goods are received and shipped from warehouse in California
- Sales can come in from any of the states, and let's pretend anywhere in the world

I think that's enough information to go on here. So my partner and I want to form an LLC and we now need to determine whether to file the LLC within the state of California, or file within a more business-friendly state, such as Nevada or Delaware.

Second question, if you don't mind: If I elect to have my LLC taxed as a corporation, does any of this matter to California? We'd now be bound by corporate tax laws, so perhaps Nevada would be more favorable?

I intend to speak with an accountant and/or attorney before following through with anything, but I'm hoping to get a general understanding so that I can ask more specific and relevant questions to any professional.

Thank you for your time!

I'd post this question in Dianne Kennedy's Facebook group.
Facebook இல் உள்நுழையவும் | Facebook

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Doesn't matter where you file. If you do business in CA, you need to pay the franchise tax and all necessary taxes

UPDATE:

Under California law, all LLCs are required to annually file a California tax return and pay at least an $800 California franchise tax if they:

• Engage in any transaction in California for the purpose of financial gain or profit.
  • Are incorporated or organized in California.
  • Have qualified or registered to do business in California.
  • Are “doing business” in California, whether or not they incorporated, organized, qualified or registered under California law.
The Franchise Tax Board (“FTB”) takes the position that an LLC organized in a jurisdiction outside California is nevertheless “doing business” in California if:

• It is a member of an LLC that does business in California.
  • It is a general partner in a partnership that does business in California.
  • Any of the LLC’s members, managers, or other agents conducts business in California on behalf of the LLC.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.