The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Job Can Literally Kill You

Anything related to matters of the mind

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
.... or drive you to kill someone else.

Disclaimer: This post is a product of my experiences over the last couple days, and contains tangential references to politics. Please don't go on a political rant. Them's the rules, and it would be missing the point.

Victim, Gunman Identified In Dallas Workplace Shooting

TLDR: A 60 year old man distraught from being fired, shot his boss then shot himself. A person felt so helpless that they killed themselves and murdered someone else over a job loss. He probably pinned his sense of security and well being on a series of lies: namely "job security" and "retirement", and then felt hopeless and despondent when those lies were pulled out from under him.

The same day this happened in a building not far from where I work, I listened to my coworkers sit around the lunch table and bemoan the actions of a certain prominent politician who shall remain nameless. These people: Intelligent, able-bodied, and not-homeless feel a sincere sense of helplessness because of a single person sitting in an office 1,000 miles away.

I went home. Now perusing social media I see another crowd who support aforementioned nameless politician. They believe that the wrong guy was sitting in that chair 1,000 miles away for the last 8 years and they're hopeful the new guy will solve their problems. They'll be despondent just like the crowd at my office when somebody from the other party is in that office in the future.

We put our trust and hope in: A job. A boss who doesn't care that you're 60 and too old to find another decent job. A politician that doesn't know you. We put our confidence in everyone but ourselves.

I'll admit, it's easy to put confidence and blame on something/someone else. Sometimes I catch myself doing it. Anytime you're tired or feeling up against the wall, society/friends/family have a ready made list of where to place the blame, and where to look for salvation.

Put your confidence in yourself. You can do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
well i mean politicians do enact laws that affect us lol so it feels personal.
but yes moaning about things u can't change is a colossal waste of time.
how did that serenity prayer go again? oh yea:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
You're preaching to the choir. But then I think that you may have just been venting.

.... or drive you to kill someone else.

Disclaimer: This post is a product of my experiences over the last couple days, and contains tangential references to politics. Please don't go on a political rant. Them's the rules, and it would be missing the point.

Victim, Gunman Identified In Dallas Workplace Shooting

TLDR: A 60 year old man distraught from being fired, shot his boss then shot himself. A person felt so helpless that they killed themselves and murdered someone else over a job loss. He probably pinned his sense of security and well being on a series of lies: namely "job security" and "retirement", and then felt hopeless and despondent when those lies were pulled out from under him.

The same day this happened in a building not far from where I work, I listened to my coworkers sit around the lunch table and bemoan the actions of a certain prominent politician who shall remain nameless. These people: Intelligent, able-bodied, and not-homeless feel a sincere sense of helplessness because of a single person sitting in an office 1,000 miles away.

I went home. Now perusing social media I see another crowd who support aforementioned nameless politician. They believe that the wrong guy was sitting in that chair 1,000 miles away for the last 8 years and they're hopeful the new guy will solve their problems. They'll be despondent just like the crowd at my office when somebody from the other party is in that office in the future.

We put our trust and hope in: A job. A boss who doesn't care that you're 60 and too old to find another decent job. A politician that doesn't know you. We put our confidence in everyone but ourselves.

I'll admit, it's easy to put confidence and blame on something/someone else. Sometimes I catch myself doing it. Anytime you're tired or feeling up against the wall, society/friends/family have a ready made list of where to place the blame, and where to look for salvation.

Put your confidence in yourself. You can do it.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Accountability and responsibility are so damn important, I absolutely can't stand it when people play the victim.

Don't ask "why me?"... ask "what can I do to change the bad situation I'm in?"

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
The scary thing about this election wasn't who was elected or who wasn't, it was realizing how many people personally identify their state of well being based on who sits in the white house. That is terrifying.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
This reminds me a few years back when I was in my social problems class and my professor had the whole entire system on the board, and I was arguing the case, connecting the dots, saying how it all needed to be revamped from the inside out. And he looked at me, and said, "Who is going to do? You're right!!" His point was that most individuals are worried about losing their job, conform to the rules, regulations, and won't do anything because they need to survive. Which this amounts to fear! If you're the whistle blower, revolutionist, rebel, you get bashed and killed sometimes.

You have to look at the Revolutionists in history, many of them do get killed, and so then you have society that feels victimized, helpless, and afraid to do something different. I think it's easy to say personal power, believe in yourself, and even be Mentally Tough, but bottom line, you will always find resistance when you're breaking down systems, breaking down barriers, and some will even take you aside, and say we just don't think this is the appropriate time for changes. You have investors, boards, people who have more power, and unless they all agree, you're kind of screwed.

A one man army isn't always as effective as a whole team that takes action. That's usually the way things are changed when groups decide together.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.