The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMA: Experienced developer will anwser questions about coding

flyingdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 24, 2017
London
Hi,
I would like to contribute to this excellent community.
I am experience developer, I have deep Ruby on Rails, Golang, Javascript experience. I also used to teach on Ruby training classes, mentor team members and I am mentor to someone started learning programming from scratch and recently found job as Junior Developer.

So, ask me anything!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cosepreziose

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 12, 2015
Hello flyingdev!!
Thanks so much for caring to help others :)
What I'd like to know may be a pretty banal question but I couldn't find the answer anywhere on internet: Do youknow how to add sub-menus on shopify? (I have already tried to add it via the navigation menu, as shown in many youtube videos, it just doesn't work)
Perhaps I should change the code somewhere? I'm using Minimal theme.
Thanks again for taking the time to help others, it's an awesome thing :)

flyingdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 24, 2017
London
What I'd like to know may be a pretty banal question but I couldn't find the answer anywhere on internet: Do youknow how to add sub-menus on shopify? (I have already tried to add it via the navigation menu, as shown in many youtube videos, it just doesn't work)

Hi,
I was never using Shopify, only opensource libraries they created - they give back to dev community. But maybe one of this would help:
* try to use different shop/playground if there is one to experiment
* do you really need submenu? Does your shop will have better UX thanks to this?

Best

Cosepreziose

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Dec 12, 2015
Hi,
I was never using Shopify, only opensource libraries they created - they give back to dev community. But maybe one of this would help:
* try to use different shop/playground if there is one to experiment
* do you really need submenu? Does your shop will have better UX thanks to this?

Best
They would make the navigation easier but are not essential. Thanks for your help :)

corius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Nov 16, 2016
Nebraska
After 12 years in construction, mining and driving, I am seeing allot of bigger companies trying to increase production by improving automation. But the technology is lacking because the individual writing the code doesn't have the experience running the machines or working in the environment.

My question. What languages will be the best to learn if you were going to write code for automation? Specifically remote control heavy equipment or even self driving equipment.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

ActionMonth

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
414%
Apr 14, 2016
Texas
Big question, how do I get a job in programming/coding? I finished my certification for HTML & CSS and have the ability to create websites. I am also a photographer with my own website that serves as a portfolio. I have been trying to get jobs in Web design where I can shoot photos/videos as well. I had a couple of interviews but no call backs. I also have a friend who spent months learning Linux and took a few tests and received a couple of certifications for them. He's also had a handful of interviews, but no takers. I want to get out of warehouse jobs and do something I can at least enjoy while earning a decent amount of money to use for my fastlane endeavors. I make just enough to pay the bills and it's hard to save up for anything fastlane.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

flyingdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 24, 2017
London
After 12 years in construction, mining and driving, I am seeing allot of bigger companies trying to increase production by improving automation. But the technology is lacking because the individual writing the code doesn't have the experience running the machines or working in the environment.

My question. What languages will be the best to learn if you were going to write code for automation? Specifically remote control heavy equipment or even self driving equipment.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
Hi @corius
This is interesting question and interesting need. What I see here, question is does this automation require machine learning or not? In general, from my experience, I see here such options:
* C/C++ for crucial operations which require perfect timing
* Java/Scala/Go for operations which need to be performant
* Ruby/Python for scripting - but probably only on development environment

IHMO, important element here is hardware. I thing you would need to use lot of sensors which passes data to code to make decisions, and then you would need to use some microcontrollers to pass code decision to machines steering.
To build a prototype, I would use Arduino with whatever sensors you need. To code Arduino using language based on C. Its not very complicated to code - you probably would spend most of time with pen and paper prototyping you code. I am going to build some arduino robots when my son will be older!

Hope thats helps.

flyingdev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 24, 2017
London
Big question, how do I get a job in programming/coding? I finished my certification for HTML & CSS and have the ability to create websites. I am also a photographer with my own website that serves as a portfolio. I have been trying to get jobs in Web design where I can shoot photos/videos as well. I had a couple of interviews but no call backs. I also have a friend who spent months learning Linux and took a few tests and received a couple of certifications for them. He's also had a handful of interviews, but no takers. I want to get out of warehouse jobs and do something I can at least enjoy while earning a decent amount of money to use for my fastlane endeavors. I make just enough to pay the bills and it's hard to save up for anything fastlane.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

Hi @ActionMonth
I see you are from Texas. I am not very familiar with job market there. Maybe you should move somewhere else like California? What I noticed, it often takes time to get first job - there would be often someone with more experience. My advices or actions would be:
* try to write your own proof of concept for some html framework like bootstrap and put it on github - it will be quick if you have all skills and you will learn when you lack some
* did you tried to call back the interviewers - they might give you some feedback - push for it. Ask "I really would like to start job as a dev, please tell my honestly your feedback regarding our interview" - some will, some don't, but you have to try.
* if you have time, build portfolio - I found the best method for it is to 'copy' interesting websites - you should try to make the website look exactly same as original, but without looking into original code - you can only use inspector to check colors fonts, etc - nothing more. (you know what browser inspector is, right?)
* I would say to focus on webdesign or video editing - not both at the time, but good to have both!
* Certification - I would say nowadays its less and less important - its quite easy to check someones skills

Regarding Linux, will write something later!

Good luck, hope it helps!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.