The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

First time creating my own product to sell on Amazon

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

DarrenW

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 7, 2017
New York
After a few days of no response, the manufacturer finally got back to me...

I was able to talk them down on the price. And now, instead of $1.99/unit, it is now $1.88. Not a big difference, but I'll take it.

I've also asked the manufacturer @OldFaithful question from before, "How many parts can be produced from the large mold before it will need to be replaced?"

Here was their answer:

"For silicone parts, one production procedure is estimated to produce around 15pcs or maybe more. It will be knew after mold making finished."

Not a definite answer, but it seems to me like a single-cavity mold. I could be wrong. Thoughts?

But despite whatever it is, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and place the order. We got all the details down and they seem to understand exactly what I want.

I will be asking for their PayPal info in my next email.

Will keep this updated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
After a few days of no response, the manufacturer finally got back to me...

I was able to talk them down on the price. And now, instead of $1.99/unit, it is now $1.88. Not a big difference, but I'll take it.

I've also asked the manufacturer @OldFaithful question from before, "How many parts can be produced from the large mold before it will need to be replaced?"

Here was their answer:

"For silicone parts, one production procedure is estimated to produce around 15pcs or maybe more. It will be knew after mold making finished."

Not a definite answer, but it seems to me like a single-cavity mold. I could be wrong. Thoughts?

But despite whatever it is, I think I'm ready to pull the trigger and place the order. We got all the details down and they seem to understand exactly what I want.

I will be asking for their PayPal info in my next email.

Will keep this updated!
There is still some mystery about the mold type and capacity. If it is a single cavity and is only expected to last for one production run of 15 pcs, the cost is way too high.

Walter

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Quick question because I'm still a bit confused.

If it's a single-cavity mold, the price would be the same for the same units every time correct? And if it's a multi-cavity, the price would be lower for next production?

Why are you still confused on whether it's a single-cavity mold or multiple-cavity mold? Not to be a dick, but half of this thread has been devoted to you "figuring this out". You've had several top members here analyze this for you, and ten days later still have no clue.

You need to know your costs. And if you don't know your costs, then you need to ask your supplier - not forum members that don't work for the factory. They can make assumptions for you, but don't know that factory specific lingo, etc.

So let me help you out. Email this:

"Hi. I just want to be clear: The mould can be used for more than 25 units, right? For example, if I want to produce 10,000 units, then I only need to pay the one time mould fee of $221, correct?"

It's as easy as that.

Stop being worried about coming off as an amateur. The purpose of process is to constantly improve until you get to the point where you're good enough. Ask stupid questions. Learn. Improve. Stop asking stupid questions. Make money.

Also a tip: Notice how I structured the question above to be to your benefit. Structuring yes/no questions is the easiest way to communicate with foreign suppliers, so when you do, make sure you push the question to your favor. For example, if you said "I just want to be clear: The mould can only be used for 25 units, right? Then I have to pay again?" then the question would be structured to the supplier's benefit. They start thinking about how much money they make off of you. Whereas in the other scenario they say either "yes, you're right"; or: "Oh F*ck, no, but we feel really bad that you thought it was going to be cheaper so we'll lower the costs for you."

tl;dr: Ask your supplier. Stop wasting time.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Yes, this is clearly a single cavity mold that will produce 15 pcs "or maybe more". They really won't know how many pieces it can produce until they've made and used it. They will continue using the mold and pulling parts out until the mold is worn and part quality has diminished. Glad you got that figured out!

DarrenW

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 7, 2017
New York
After taking @AgainstAllOdds advice to heart (thank you), I've asked a bunch of questions about the costs in regard to the mold.

And they got back with a clear answer. One that made made me sure I can turn a profit on.

"Mold cost will be paid only once ($221). And then after, for each silicone unit, it will cost $0.088.
No need to pay mold cost again for the second production procedure. No need to replace the mold. It can be used forever(if we don't want to change the design or specification)"

I've sent my payment already for the mold and 25 units. And they should be starting mold production as soon as possible.

I'm glad I got this out the way. Thanks for the kick in the a$$.

I guess now we wait...

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Mold cost will be paid only once ($221). And then after, for each silicone unit, it will cost $0.088.
No need to pay mold cost again for the second production procedure. No need to replace the mold. It can be used forever(if we don't want to change the design or specification
That is quite a change in part price, wow! Please update this thread and let us know how it's going.

Best wishes.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
After taking @AgainstAllOdds advice to heart (thank you), I've asked a bunch of questions about the costs in regard to the mold.

And they got back with a clear answer. One that made made me sure I can turn a profit on.

"Mold cost will be paid only once ($221). And then after, for each silicone unit, it will cost $0.088.
No need to pay mold cost again for the second production procedure. No need to replace the mold. It can be used forever(if we don't want to change the design or specification)"

I've sent my payment already for the mold and 25 units. And they should be starting mold production as soon as possible.

I'm glad I got this out the way. Thanks for the kick in the a$$.

I guess now we wait...
That unit price is in line with the guesstimate I posted om April 9 that cost of that amount of silicone would only be a few cents. The 8/10th of a cent part of the quoted price tells me that they are charging on a cost plus basis, rather than on what the market can bear basis. This gets you off to a good start with this supplier.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.