The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Remember When" Thread...

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Remember when you had to make your socks into ankle socks during the summer time because you didn't have ankle socks? The struggle was real.

Remember when drinking Capri sun and you accidentally punctured it?

30mrghi.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
I remember when it was customary to give a Christmas gift to your mailman and paperboy. (at least where I grew up.)

Being in ecommerce, my Mailman pickups/delivers so much shit for me every day.

I gave him a 12 pack of Miller for Christmas... it's gone a long way. We're on a first name basis now, and he throws toys to my dog.

Be kind to your mailman.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Remember when you had to text message based on a numerical keyboard? And 1 letter sometimes equaled 444?

T9 was a big improvement to numerical keyboard texting. One click per letter, and it guessed what word you trying to input.

I'm still faster at T9 texting than I am at iphone. Also, you can do T9 texting with your eyes closed. You can feel the buttons.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Remember when AIM was how you talked to your friends:

AIM.gif

Remember when Myspace was your social network?

hooker1_small.jpg

Remember when Facebook was only for college kids?

111012121051-facebook-changes-2005-super-169.jpg

Remember when you typed out your angsty thoughts on Xanga:

xanga-profile-picture.png

Remember when you could listen to 120 songs on a CD with an mp3 cd player?

$_35.JPG

Remember when you got your music (and viruses) from:

Kazaa
Napster
Limewire

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Remember when you got your music (and viruses) from:

Kazaa
Napster
Limewire

All while chatting up that cute girl down the hall on AIM. Dammit, you made me nostalgic. I was probably listening to Oasis on my gross headphones the whole time too.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
I went past the water pistols at the store over summer, all sorts of weird looking quasi cannons with fancy names and extra tanks, but no Super Soaker 50s. Lightweight, reliable, ok it leaked a bit but how has technology gone backwards that much in 25 years?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
I gave him a 12 pack of Miller for Christmas... it's gone a long way. We're on a first name basis now, and he throws toys to my dog.

Gave ours a couple cigars, and now he'll double back if I call his cell.... and he tells me stories that are way too personal. Never thought I'd get a play by play of a vasectomy.... there's a downside to kindness.

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
This thread is depressing, but I love it.

I'm about to get all political on yo' asses.

- Remember when there were 2 genders
- Remembers when you could tell a joke without 75% of the people in the room getting offended

Okay now for the less political ones.
- Remember when your biggest problem was trying to beat that Super Mario or Donkey Kong level
- Remember when you played with toys - not iPads/iPhones
- Remember all those cartoons that you used to love - Biker Mice from Mars, Street Sharks, Mighty Max or even those aerobics shows early in the morning before Cheez TV

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
even those aerobics shows early in the morning before Cheez TV

Sounds like somebody else woke up early before school to watch those bikini girl workout shows on ESPN :rofl:

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Who remembers this cable box and its secret channel? ;) :rofl:

25hzgwh.jpg

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
And from the dawn of the internet...

I remember buying my first 386 and THEN discovering over-clocking only to discover that I needed the upgraded 486 motherboard and cpu to jumper the board. I remember overclocking a P66 to way up over P100 or something...heady days indeed.

I remember one day after work (welder) a friend of mine asked me around to see the internet. Not sure if you can remember but there used to be little side bar/window on the left of the IE main window and we couldn't understand how to use it. There was a search bar there so we entered something in but it displayed the results again in that narrow sidebar to the left leaving the main window blank. We gave up in frustration and I can distinctly remember asking "What are you going to use the internet for anyway?"

Once I'd figure the internet out I had to go down to the local computer shop and buy internet hours. I was there every few days buying more time. I remember staring at the brand new 33.6k modem and wishing I could afford it. I skipped straight past it to grab the even newer and blistering fast 56k - oh happy days.

I remember html in notepad and my first refresh to see "Hello World" in a browser. Then I added <b>bold</bold> and was stunned to see my text turn magically to bold.

I remember "You don't have a key!" Zork.

I remember watching colour black and white TV. My uncle bought a plastic screen that was hung in front of a black and white TV that had a strip of blue hue across the top (to simulate sky) and brown across the bottom for dirt. That was it - colour TV. It stayed on and we watched it like that for ages.

I remember the night we got our first colour TV. I stayed up all night watching TV with colour turned up to retina burning psychedelic. It also had the first remote control we had in the house. Two massive technological advances at once.

I remember metal tapes (with music) (I do remember the pencil!). They were like $20 each. TDK MA90...so clean and crisp. Lee Aaron never sounded so good.

I remember when car stereos had knobs for treble, middle and bass (if you were lucky you had all three). These days I can't look at at all the flashing messages and LEDs you get on new car stereos. Treble and bass please. That's all I need.

I remember when learning bass I'd have to stop and lift the needle to play it that bit of the song again hopefully grabbing the same spot or having to wait for it to come around again.

I remember when petrol bowsers had a little latch in the handle so you could click to leave it to fill by itself (hands free) and sometimes it'd just spill over when full, sometimes explosively - no biggie.

I remember jacked up muscle cars with rear shocks showing brightly and really fat 15x10inch Mickeys.

So much more. These "I remember" threads are awesome. When people ask me where I'm from, sometimes I reply..."I'm from the 80s" I think that the decade people were in in their late teens early twenties is the decade their "from".

I remember ICQ99B.

Keep 'em comin'!

Last edited:

KSR

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 28, 2017
Australia
Sounds like somebody else woke up early before school to watch those bikini girl workout shows on ESPN :rofl:

You're absolutely right I did hahaha! Sometimes even an hour before - not sure why I didn't just go back to bed...

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Somewhere there is a photo of me on Christmas with a big smile on my face because WE GOT A VCR! And we even had a TI 99 computer. Who remembers Minesweeper?

Gosh, I feel middle aged. Oh, wait, I am! :hilarious:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Remember when the parent would send their kid in to the store to buy them a pack of cigarettes? Remember when the teacher or the neighbor or anyone else in town that saw us do something wrong would spank us and then tell our mom? Remember when we were 10 years old and could stay out until 10pm without our parents having to worry about some pervert kidnapping us? Remember plopping down on the metal slide in the summer to be quickly reminded that metal attracts HEAT! Remember when we never had to lock the front door? Remember when the keys were left in the car so they wouldn't get lost? Oh wait... remember when the key went in to an ignition instead of just having to be in your pocket and you push a button?

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
I remember my first wage. $2 an hour washing meat trays at the local butcher after school and on Saturdays. I was about 13. I was happy there until one day a semi-trailer plowed straight into the front door.

My first instinct was to save it up because I'd never seen so much money before and I just wanted to see more of it. I couldn't even start to decide what I was going to spend it on.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyone ever rebuild a carburetor? If you got the floats wrong, you'd either flood it or starve it?

Man, unless they're into old cars...no one even knows what a carburetor is anymore.

...Spraying wd40 into the carburetor to get your car to start.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I got a few.

I remember when our new typewriter had a backspace button so I wouldn't have to liquid paper all my mistakes.

I remember when I finally got a new Walkman with auto reverse!

I remember driving around town to find an empty basketball court and then going to a pay phone to call my friends to tell them which park to go to.

I remember when I first got Doom on my 486. Game changer.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Remember desks were huge because computer screens were massive.

Remember "It's now safe to turn off your computer".

Remember when there were more than 2 search engines.

Remember I had to double the RAM of my pc (from 16 to 32 MB) to play Age of Empires II.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Frosted tips
Jincos
Duncan Yoyos
... rock hard stick of gum in a pack of Topps
Opening a pack of baseball cards with the anticipation of a redneck tearing into some scratch offs.

crueldeceiver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Mar 15, 2017
North America
- Answering machines. Remember the genuine excitement you felt when you came home and that red light was blinking on the machine?

- Payphones. And God forbid if you didn't have a quarter. Calling collect was only for the most dire emergencies.

- Looking up directions. Even pulling up Google Maps and printing out directions feels like a lifetime ago.

- Not being accessible. No email, texts, apps---if you were out of the house, that was it. Nobody expected to reach you instantly.

I totally feel this...brings back a lot of memories. LOL

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That was the 2000's

Yea, and it's already a "remember when." -- although 2000 was nearly 20 years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.