The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Gathering directory data?

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
Question - @MJ DeMarco might be a good person to chime in with his limo directory he built. If you're looking to build a directory for service providers in a given niche, where would you start for a basic starting list? Scrape an existing directory?

I have a few ideas and I'm trying to decide which one to focus on and put all of my effort into.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm bumping this thread because when I was trying to build a directory this part drove me crazy.

SIC code lists. Everyone's selling them (for way too much money) but where do they get them from?

If all businesses fall into a SIC code, there's got to be some repository or database everyone's pulling them from.

What is it?

My dev recommended that we scrape google, but you'll most likely need to outsource that.

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
The more I look into it the more I think a lot of it would have to be manually built out. Still possible but makes it more difficult. And then after I built it someone could scrape my directory. Hmmm...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Years ago I bought a tool called Yellabot. It would scrape the yellow pages.

You can buy lists of businesses in specific verticals too. 118 118 sells them in the UK I think.

What are you going to do with that directory of business details though?

@Scot - where was that post where I asked you to consider which side of the marketplace to start with?

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal

You can buy lists of businesses in specific verticals too. 118 118 sells them in the UK I think.

@Scot - where was that post where I asked you to consider which side of the marketplace to start with?
The idea would be to create a niche directory for specific services that is currently fragmented. It doesn't look like scraping YellowPages or Yelp would even make sense - and it would violate TOS anyway. Would have to be mostly manual. I'm trying to gauge the NEED for it though via keyword planner, FB groups and forum posts.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

It's buried somewhere in my progress thread but we definitely elaborated more on this on our Skype call here Sales, Silence, and Building Marketplaces

gemike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 27, 2017
France
I use OutWit Hub for this kind of extraction jobs. It is pretty straightforward to set up and use, you don't need a server and if you don't want to bother creating scrapers yourself, they can do it for you.
Data is key in a start-up so until we have an IT department, it's good to have powerful and simple tools to do the job...

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I use OutWit Hub for this kind of extraction jobs. It is pretty straightforward to set up and use, you don't need a server and if you don't want to bother creating scrapers yourself, they can do it for you.
Data is key in a start-up so until we have an IT department, it's good to have powerful and simple tools to do the job...

This is cheaper than any list I've seen. Great resource. Rep ++

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.