The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The most efficient way to consume books: Audio + Visual

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
I think it goes without saying that MJ's book will change the way you approach business. However, it also coincidentally changed the way I read books in general! while purchasing "TMDFL" on Amazon, I noticed that the audio book version was being offered for only a couple bucks more. I thought screw it, why not get both?

I decided to pair up the kindle and audio book version, and it floored me how quickly I got through the book, and how much I remembered. Normally when I read books, my mind wanders. When I listen to just audio, my eyes wander. When I do both at the same time, I'm able to concentrate on the words, and am forced to keep on going- because the narrator keeps going!

This is super exciting for me, because I realize I'll finally be able to get through all the books that i've wanted to read. I'm a little bummed I ONLY just discovered this, but I suppose it's better late than never.

What do you guys think about this? What is your favorite way to consume books?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kytro360

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Sep 28, 2016
Reminds me of my high school class where the teacher would play the tape of the book, and we'd have to follow along.

LiveHappy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Oct 15, 2016
Texas
What do you guys think about this? What is your favorite way to consume books?[/QUOTE]

I do a lot of annotating and hi lighting in books, if I perceive it as a really fundamental book, I will even create an outline for it. Because of this I usually only listen to some titles on audio (As an example I have MJ's book in print). Even then when I listen to audiobooks I try to take notes by using the voice to text feature. Anyhow, a couple of months ago I shared this with a friend told me he can't read that way, he just listens to audiobooks throughout the day, even when at work, but he will listen to them over and over, 2-3 times. After this I downloaded a new audiobook to listen during my commute. It was awesome. If I feel it didn't sink in enough or was distracted, I just rewind, this makes for less text to voice note taking. In any event, I enjoy reading both of these ways :)

LiveHappy :)

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
I think it goes without saying that MJ's book will change the way you approach business. However, it also coincidentally changed the way I read books in general! while purchasing "TMDFL" on Amazon, I noticed that the audio book version was being offered for only a couple bucks more. I thought screw it, why not get both?

I decided to pair up the kindle and audio book version, and it floored me how quickly I got through the book, and how much I remembered. Normally when I read books, my mind wanders. When I listen to just audio, my eyes wander. When I do both at the same time, I'm able to concentrate on the words, and am forced to keep on going- because the narrator keeps going!

This is super exciting for me, because I realize I'll finally be able to get through all the books that i've wanted to read. I'm a little bummed I ONLY just discovered this, but I suppose it's better late than never.

What do you guys think about this? What is your favorite way to consume books?

I started doing this with Audible earlier this year and have become an audio book junkie. I listen to them all the time, in the car, in shower, late at night with headphones. I can't get enough. I believe I might be a better audible learner as I often put off reading physical books, and even neglect the kindle.

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
You're absolutely right, engaging both eyes and ears is far more effective. My feedback is that people generally like the audio-book better than the PDF but they like the written book most over all. I think most people find reading extended texts on a screen is tough for an extended period of time with the exception being forums. People will read a lot of words on forums and often sit for hours reading so it's not reading off a screen per se, it's the format and of course the content but mostly the format that allows for easier reading because a forum is broken up between one post and another so you get a mental break between content.

I tried making a video-book once. I put it to one side as an idea. Didn't turn out that well because it was tough to make the page scroll as fast as I was reading it on the audio but it did engage the watcher and I suppose that's reflected in our love of movies and TV.

Speaking of reading really fast have you seen this --> Spritz check it out, it's amazing. Not sure how reading a full book would work but you sure can read a lot faster than you thought.

From their website:
Spritz vs Traditional Reading
Removing the eye movements associated with traditional reading methods not only reduces the number of times your eyes move when reading, but also decreases the number of times your eyes must pass over a word for your brain to understand it. This makes spritzing extremely efficient, precise, convenient and comfortable."

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
If I'm hardworking and have time to kill, I'll go the whole hog and read the whole book. Might as well enjoy the whole cake rather than a slice.
However, if I'm rushing, or busy, I go to Sparknotes, see Youtubers' summaries, Amazon comment quotes, SlideShare summaries and TFLF book discussions.
Audio can be quite uncomfortable, especially if the speakers are heavily accented. I favour videos with subtitles or transcripts.
But now to think of it, the forum books discussion section hasn't been quite active....no good books out there anymore to talk about?

@Sully1994 , MJ's book did change the way how I select books. Before TMF , I was a hog of a victim whom book gurus capitalized on for easy sales. Fortunately my budget was steep, so not much damage was done in terms of getting shit book material. Now I closely examine the reviews, bloggers and even the 1-star reviews before getting the book. Sample chapters offered by authors also improve my search.

MJ's bullshit-detector reasoning and critical thinking mastery in TMF and eventually UNSCRIPTED was, and will be what I always need. Yes, I am not kidding! TMF will give you amazing critical thinking skills! Critical thinking is very Fastlane, combined with execution.

Books choosing aside, I can declare that with the Fastlane Critical Thinking Weapons System, I can actually outperform most of my peers in college, when they are all just shoving info down their brains instead of understanding where in the heck all those facts came from, and why.

Best of all, with the Fastlane Critical Thinking Weapons System, I am free! Free to believe anything I want because I can find good principles and methodologies without any influence or BS peddled to me by some guru. I have control, and even though this control ain't earning me money, it's earning me my mental LIBERTY.

Last edited:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Looking into entrepreneurship and self improvement has really gotten me back into reading lately. I've never tried that method before but I'll have to give it a shot!

I've started to use evernote to actually take notes, as in the past I'd just read books and the knowledge would be diluted and/or forgotten in a few weeks. I'm currently reading Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and just trying to really expand my mind about how to be a successful entrepreneur.

Omerroz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Mar 31, 2017
israel
My Kindle is on my cell phone
So basically I take the book with me everywhere
Because you cant put headphones everywhere and listen to a book