The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Speed may be your worst enemy to the Fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

LouieLouie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
May 30, 2014
Fort Collins Colorado
Maybe some of you have the same problem as I do?
I understand that sticking with one thing and consistently producing day after day is the road paved to success.

Process over event.

BUT

By default I am not like that at all!

See if there are two people that I could potentially invest in.

The one wasn't the smartest guy, but he has a clear track record of producing (his thing) everyday without exception. I would bet on this guy vs the the smartest guy in the room who randomly works on whatever he is hyped about.

I am trying to become THAT guy, who plugs away at his thing everyday.

But how to do it?

Isn't that the big question.

I thought I would share a story from last summer on how I worked at this problem.

My goal:

Consistent output (of my thing) over a LONG period of time.

So I said to myself. If I can learn to run consistently every single day. This will do two things.
It will make me mentally tougher, and it will directly translate to my ability to stick with things like copywriting every day..

So I took up running. (jogging is probably more accurate)

I had only one criteria.
How many days I could go without missing a day.

So I measured only one thing.

I put a red X on a calendar for everyday I went and went months without missing a day.

You see it didn't matter if I only got out and ran a half a block as long as I got out and ran it counted.
Secondly I began to extend my runs just a little everyday. I didn't really try hard I just went a little further every week as I got into better shape. Until I was running 6 mi a day frequently. (I was having fun, because I wasn't over doing it)

Then something happened.

A cousin of mine found out I was running and he wanted me to get the Nike + app so we could share our runs.

So I did.

Now his goal was way different then mine. He was dreaming of running a marathon.

I didn't think anything of it, we are both into running. Motivating right?

But there is a key distinction right here.

He was focused on speed.
I was focused on process.

So every time we would call and talk, he would talk about his fastest mile, and I began feeling really lame.
I told him I was doing some thing like a 12 min mile and he was like. "That can't be right thats just a little more then a walk"

So then my focus began to shift. (I am competitive.)

I began focusing on speed.

I did get faster and faster.

BUT

I began to miss days.......
I would have high days, then I would get tired and not run, because I was burned out.

Now up until the point before my focus shifted, I had been running for like 7-8 months and loving every min. of it.
Just the fact that I was mastering a discipline of being out there everyday was awsome.
And I never pushed it that hard, I simply had one rule. NEVER EVER MISS A DAY.

But once I began focusing on speed, (the end event, over process) all the fun was gone. I didn't have the endurance for year after year daily process. (It wasn't sustainable )

In fact I quite running for a few months completely.

But once I realized what went wrong I started again.

Here is the lesson I learned.

To create a consistent process.
Measure the right things.
So that your focus will be on the right things.

Measure Process not event.

Measure daily action not speed.

You see speed is a byproduct, it is not actionable.

If you focus on speed vs process you will try short cuts that don't work

Daily process can be a pile of fun!!! If you aren't in to big of a hurry to enjoy the journey.

Good Luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe some of you have the same problem as I do?
I understand that sticking with one thing and consistently producing day after day is the road paved to success.

Process over event.

BUT

By default I am not like that at all!

See if there are two people that I could potentially invest in.

The one wasn't the smartest guy, but he has a clear track record of producing (his thing) everyday without exception. I would bet on this guy vs the the smartest guy in the room who randomly works on whatever he is hyped about.

I am trying to become THAT guy, who plugs away at his thing everyday.

But how to do it?

Isn't that the big question.

I thought I would share a story from last summer on how I worked at this problem.

My goal:

Consistent output (of my thing) over a LONG period of time.

So I said to myself. If I can learn to run consistently every single day. This will do two things.
It will make me mentally tougher, and it will directly translate to my ability to stick with things like copywriting every day..

So I took up running. (jogging is probably more accurate)

I had only one criteria.
How many days I could go without missing a day.

So I measured only one thing.

I put a red X on a calendar for everyday I went and went months without missing a day.

You see it didn't matter if I only got out and ran a half a block as long as I got out and ran it counted.
Secondly I began to extend my runs just a little everyday. I didn't really try hard I just went a little further every week as I got into better shape. Until I was running 6 mi a day frequently. (I was having fun, because I wasn't over doing it)

Then something happened.

A cousin of mine found out I was running and he wanted me to get the Nike + app so we could share our runs.

So I did.

Now his goal was way different then mine. He was dreaming of running a marathon.

I didn't think anything of it, we are both into running. Motivating right?

But there is a key distinction right here.

He was focused on speed.
I was focused on process.

So every time we would call and talk, he would talk about his fastest mile, and I began feeling really lame.
I told him I was doing some thing like a 12 min mile and he was like. "That can't be right thats just a little more then a walk"

So then my focus began to shift. (I am competitive.)

I began focusing on speed.

I did get faster and faster.

BUT

I began to miss days.......
I would have high days, then I would get tired and not run, because I was burned out.

Now up until the point before my focus shifted, I had been running for like 7-8 months and loving every min. of it.
Just the fact that I was mastering a discipline of being out there everyday was awsome.
And I never pushed it that hard, I simply had one rule. NEVER EVER MISS A DAY.

But once I began focusing on speed, (the end event, over process) all the fun was gone. I didn't have the endurance for year after year daily process. (It wasn't sustainable )

In fact I quite running for a few months completely.

But once I realized what went wrong I started again.

Here is the lesson I learned.

To create a consistent process.
Measure the right things.
So that your focus will be on the right things.

Measure Process not event.

You see speed is a byproduct, it is not actionable.

Daily process can be a pile of fun!!! If you aren't in to big of a hurry to enjoy the journey.

Good Luck!
Great story, thanks for sharing.

I used to do track athletics when I was a teenager. I ran my best times when I wasn't chasing the time.

I also remember having a speedo on my bicycle one time and seeing a very low speed as I was heading uphill into a wind. I ripped it off and threw it into the undergrowth.

I then just enjoyed the feeling of being in the countryside and in motion.

I chip away at my business, a little bit each day. I might meander down interesting trails, but I'm always heading in the same Westerly direction.

Recently someone told me "You can go slower than you think." I did a little video talking about it here:

One day I'll write a bit more about hitting numeric targets by breaking them down into daily targets and bite sized tasks. Basically how to eat an elephant one bite at a time.

I'm already doing what I want to do for the rest of my life. It will change slightly over time of course, but I'm enjoying the now, and not missing it while I fixate on the future.

Here's a very short video on that:

Last edited by a moderator:

Crissco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 3, 2015
New York
Quality over quantity. You do to much at one time something has to give, and that's usually the quality then once quality gives other things start to deteriorate as well. Hypothetically speaking, this isnt the case for everything just a general rule I came to notice. For me, I do one thing ALL OUT I find a road block then give up, thats is my short coming, to many ideas, tried to execute them ran into an issue gave up then went to the next idea. Thats actually one of the only things I like about a job it forces to you not give up in a lot of ways.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I did a lot of running in 2014. My goal was to run my first half-marathon. Prior to that, I hated running.

I started off on a treadmill not being able to run for more than 5 minutes. My shins would tighten up, my hips would tighten up, and I'd get so frustrated that I'd quit and limp to the locker room to go home. I stuck with it until my body became accustomed to the stress and my muscles got stronger.

Since I was new to running, I started with a 5k. I had so much anxiety thinking I would end up last or I'd make a fool of myself. I did it anyway and found that my fears were nothing more than just a fear of the unknown since I never ran a race before. My first 5k time was a little over 30 minutes and there was no way I was going to even come close to being last.

As you become accustomed to running slowly, your body will naturally adjust for speed. You will naturally push yourself to a point that keeps up with the same level of training that you're used to feeling. If you run slowly and naturally to a point of exhaustion, you're going to get stronger and faster. Doing that day after day, your endurance and stamina increases to the point where you will naturally push yourself to those limits you have felt in the past.

After I ran my first half-marathon, I said to myself, "This entire year has been dedicated to running this half-marathon. And now it's over." It was such a surreal feeling of emptiness. I asked myself, "what could I do next?" The answer? I signed up for another one in Las Vegas that was two months later!

I eventually ended up running 2 half-marathons in 2014 and ran 1 in 2015.

My point in telling this story is that it was never about the speed. It was always about the process. The process achieved my goals. The speed came from building a habit over time.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
When hitting the fastlane is your life purpose, u don't have to be concerned about daily action, it's like breathing.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Running long distance is simply humbling.

It's quite possibly the epitome of process versus event. And, the further you go, the more this is compounded.

I'll be pacing a friend for part of a 100-mile race late in the year. You want to see process? Check out an ultra runner's processes.

It's down to the calorie per hour.

But it's not just on race day, but every single day up to the race. Everything has to be measured.

But there's something pretty cool about 99% of ultra runners which is very different from traditional runners: Not many of them give one shit about time.

They're almost always just trying to finish. The challenge is getting a perfected process so you can simply keep going. Nothing more.

Yes, you have your elites who are looking to set records, but a vast majority enjoy being out there among other ultra runners, and simply digging in and staying the course.

Imagine spending thousands of dollars, thousands of hours, and tens of thousands of calories to cross the finish line in the middle of nowhere where there's no medal, no money, and very few people to shake your hand. You get nothing more than a beer and a BBQ sandwich and a story to tell.

The pleasure is in the process. The pleasure is in the pain. The pleasure is knowing you can do what 99.99% of others never will.

Of course, it all started with the very first mile.

LouieLouie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
May 30, 2014
Fort Collins Colorado
The pleasure is in the process. The pleasure is in the pain. The pleasure is knowing you can do what 99.99% of others never will.
They're almost always just trying to finish. The challenge is getting a perfected process so you can simply keep going. Nothing more.

I love this!

It is what FastLane is built on.

Your right. there are a lot of parallels between ultra running and building a company.

The process is a long grueling race, and finishing is what 99.9% will never do.

Got to go run now !

PS: I drew a lot of inspiration from the book "born to run"

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France

that's the problem because we live in the age of speed .

just think of these sentences :

" need for speed " , " fresh hot pizza delivered under 30 minutes or its free"

" when it absolutely, positively has to be there overnight "

and so on.

in heaven or anywhere, our ancestors might think that we have become crazy because nature and the universe work on a slow pace.

while today, if the internet goes down for days or if we have lost our cell phone, we think it is the end of the world...

from a strategic point of view, time is one of the best tools and asset in 2017.

you will win by using time as a tool because people can't wait . they have forgotten how to wait.

time is both speed and stillness . yin and yang

with the right combination, the world is yours:

business deal ---> he who cares less wins .

new market --> he who enters faster wins.

chess online ---> he who can wait wins because people are tired to wait so they resign while you don't know how to play anyway

dating--> he who cares less wins again.

and so on

you are the strategist

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Speed is only dangerous when you use the wrong vessel to travel at at it.
Speed is only dangerous when you try to run faster than Usain Bolt with the body of a gluttonous 1000-pound guy who hasn't exercised since 2000.
Speed is only dangerous when you try to go a 100 km per hour in an antique Model T. The poor car will just fall into pieces.
Speed is only dangerous when you driving in a Lambo over the edge into the lava of Mount Doom. See where you are heading to!

For safe (and of course high speed), probably a few prerequisites would be a Fastlane business with a healthy money seedling, good cashflow and thousands of happy customers. And a Fastlane exit, a destination, a goal!

Speed is dangerous for the Slowlane (and Slowlane businesses). All they can do is to go slow. Any more, and probably their Slowlane engines will go bust! Never ride a bicycle in a car race, folks.
Speed is good, @LouieLouie. Speed just needs to be handled safely in the right manner, with the proper tools.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Never ride a bicycle in a car race, folks.
Speed is good, @LouieLouie. Speed just needs to be handled safely in the right manner, with the proper tools.

that's how 80 % of people view things : speed is the new god

that's why the other 20 % of people are the masters.

because the point is to own the frame, not to run in it.

i was reading an analysis about the capitalist system

it is very insightful.

masters of the system don't run like rats in a wheel

they follow 4 rules of the grand chessboard:

1) patience

2) a sense of timing

3) knowledge of the opponent

4) willingness to make any and all sacrifices

hunters don't run after rabbits in the field like stupids cave men.

they wait, aim, fire .

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
that's how 80 % of people view things : speed is the new god

that's why the other 20 % of people are the masters.

because the point is to own the frame, not to run in it.

i was reading an analysis about the capitalist system

it is very insightful.

masters of the system don't run like rats in a wheel

they follow 4 rules of the grand chessboard:

1) patience

2) a sense of timing

3) knowledge of the opponent

4) willingness to make any and all sacrifices

hunters don't run after rabbits in the field like stupids cave men.

they wait, aim, fire .
True, but even for the masters, speed still matters.
While most people see speed as rushing to get that next sales contact or that next million within X period of time, the masters of the systems see where all those speeders have to congregate.
Speeders got to eat, drink, halt at rest stops, fuel up....and mind you, there's where the masters will be, providing all those services!

However, there' a whole new playing field of competition even alongside the greats. Speed is more aggressive and tactical at that point. Remember Pepsi and Coca Cola? Virgin Airlines and British Airways? AirBnb and Craiglist? Speed still matters, but the masters have more controls, more tools, more leverage.

Your hunter analogy reminds me of the SCRIPTED reality that we are following an invisible Script to profit governments and corporate organizations. Check out MJ's sample chapters on UNSCRIPTED ... the beginning story part on the Slowlane life is much more creepy and heart-chilling than TMF ....:arghh::arghh::arghh:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
This post make a lot of sense. I am a life-long runner. If you want to be a good long distance runner, you must build a base. A good training program starts with lots of slow miles.

A good program requires that you prep your body. You must build all the components in the conditioning department. The muscles must have all the oxygen delivery and nutritional storage in place to keep everything working. This is built by long slow miles over time.

As you progress, the speed can be added in. If you begin adding speed work too early, the muscles may break down.

It will also be difficult to keep the motivation. Hopefully, the process is fun for you. It will be a lot more enjoyable if the speed part of the training does not break you down. Plus, if you have a good base, the speed part of the training will feel much more natural.

Even the best runners will go through cycles. There are times when they are only doing long easy runs.

Some people train by heart rate. Over time, you will run faster while maintaining the same heart rate. Which means you are getting more efficient and not working any harder to run faster.

Burnout and injury can happen to anyone that goes out too aggressively.

Mysterious

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Mar 13, 2017
Europe
Is this true about process, for example, if you got injury and try to build back yourself?
I don't enjoy the process much because I am limited of what I can do with my injury.
Or is there different angle on this problem? I would appreciate your insight.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
I don't enjoy the process much because I am limited of what I can do with my injury.

Napoleon Hill used to say that in every failure, there are always seeds for the next success.

modern translation: we have to reframe the situation with quotes like " if life gives you lemons then make lemonade "

the yin yang philosophy teaches that every situation tends to transform in its opposite.

failure -- > seeds of success

too arrogant with success --- > failure

when you are down on the ground ( ultimate yin ) , you can only stay there or stand up ( new yang ), you can't go down further.

and when you are at the top on the mountain ( ultimate yang ) , you can't climb up anymore, you can only stay there or go back to the valley ( new yin)

so you have to find what's the new yang ( strenght )in your injury ( yin)

which means : the new opportunity, the new mindset, the new approach of the problem, the new vision, the new action , the new way.

the new thing that nobody cand find but you

Last edited:

V8Bill

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Feb 9, 2012
Australia
What a great post and thread! You've refocussed me a little on some tasks I have on my list. I've always been an ASAP goal setter as opposed to a by-this-date goal setter. I enjoy the process and each day for what it brings. You cleverly and clearly illustrate that sometimes it's just pushing on and getting started that may lead to all the progress I need. Just getting out there and doing even a little bit is better than doing nothing. "One is better than none" is illustrated in this principle. Often I'd write way more than I planned just by sitting down to write a few more words so this philosophy/system of progress has already worked for me. I need to do it more. Just start.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.