The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do (Have patent, want to sell license)

JMC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 1, 2017
US - Georgia
Hello
Please share your advice. I am an independent inventor with an issued patent. I have an informative website including a contact page. While viewing site Analytics I can only see Internet provider information with the exception of a few assumed "self served", which brings me to my dilemma. I receive many repeat visitors from a couple of conglomerate companies. I am very interested in selling or licensing my patent. As I mentioned I do have a contact page on the website and there have been no attempts to contact me through the website. I have researched the companies searching for and affiliation that could be interested with no luck. I would like to ask if anyone has any advice for reaching out to this type of company and hopefully learning the interest.
Thank you in advance for your advice
JMC

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JMC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 1, 2017
US - Georgia
Advertise?

Google Adwords, Facebook Ads...
Thank you for your advice. So far most funds have been used for design & development, IP, website and YouTube video. Additional funds for advertising are included in the near future.

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
Hi JMC

It is far better to have a crappy site with paying customers than a pretty site with no customers. This isn't 2000 anymore. Build it and they will come is a strategy to fail. You might have the next best thing after sliced bread! (or cake! :) ) but if your potential customers don't know about you, you are going to fail.

I would suggest that you rethink your strategy. What is your objective with your invention? Do you want to sell? If yes, who is your ideal customer? Where are they? How do you reach them? What's a good reaching strategy?

JMC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 1, 2017
US - Georgia
Hi JMC

It is far better to have a crappy site with paying customers than a pretty site with no customers. This isn't 2000 anymore. Build it and they will come is a strategy to fail. You might have the next best thing after sliced bread! (or cake! :) ) but if your potential customers don't know about you, you are going to fail.

I would suggest that you rethink your strategy. What is your objective with your invention? Do you want to sell? If yes, who is your ideal customer? Where are they? How do you reach them? What's a good reaching strategy?
Of course it's "Cake" .:) I haven't yet offered my product for sale. Still refining the design. The website is mostly about the product and for me to learn public interest. I do have a near future plan
to take it to the next level including advertising . As I mentioned I receive many repeat visitors from a couple of "conglomerate " companies. Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for reaching out to that type of company to learn their interest.
Thanks
JMc

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
As I mentioned I receive many repeat visitors from a couple of "conglomerate " companies. Just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for reaching out to that type of company to learn their interest.
If your analytics show visits from large companies, and you want to communicate with them, research those specific companies. Google is your friend.

A) Which divisions might be interested in your product? Search the product lines of the various divisions.
B) Search LinkedIn for contacts in that division. Look for engineers or purchasing reps.
C) See if any of the engineers have experience listed that aligns with your product. They might be future decision makers. Contact them or their direct supervisors if possible.
D) Contact the purchasing reps and ask them if you can help them by offering your product. Find out what they need but can't find...it might be your product.

Perhaps you would get some feedback if you make it easier to contact you. Perhaps you would get contacts if you offered them something in return for writing you or entering their email...a white paper on your technology, a solutions analysis, an entry into an Amazon gift card raffle, etc.

Do you have any updates over the last month?

JMC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 1, 2017
US - Georgia
If your analytics show visits from large companies, and you want to communicate with them, research those specific companies. Google is your friend.

A) Which divisions might be interested in your product? Search the product lines of the various divisions.
B) Search LinkedIn for contacts in that division. Look for engineers or purchasing reps.
C) See if any of the engineers have experience listed that aligns with your product. They might be future decision makers. Contact them or their direct supervisors if possible.
D) Contact the purchasing reps and ask them if you can help them by offering your product. Find out what they need but can't find...it might be your product.

Perhaps you would get some feedback if you make it easier to contact you. Perhaps you would get contacts if you offered them something in return for writing you or entering their email...a white paper on your technology, a solutions analysis, an entry into an Amazon gift card raffle, etc.

Thank you for the great advice. I have used google to try to find an affiliation that may have an interest in my product. I may have identified an affiliation with one of the companies although it's not a division, it's more of a community interest group. I have also searched LinkedIn, so far I haven't been able to connect with individuals from those companies. I like the white paper Idea and haven't thought of that. I also haven't thought of the gift card idea. I will take your advice and offer a gift card raffle in exchange for contact information or signing my guestbook (including email address). The only update since my original post is that the companies continue to regularly visit.
Thank you again for the great advice, I'll post an update to report results of your suggestions,

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain
I don't think FB ads or AdWords are appropriate for this situation. You have to find someone inside the company.

Use LinkedIn/Google to find relevant people within those companies. For example if you are looking to licence a patent look for the name of the marketing manager, marketing vp, sales manager, etc.

Try calling the company and getting in contact with said person or use this tool to find emails Find email addresses in seconds • Hunter (Email Hunter) (call, then email is preffered)

There's a book on this called ''One Simple Idea'' by Stephen King which I recommend to anyone looking to pursue licensing.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You have to find someone inside the company.

Can you create a FB ad campaign that targets only employees of the companies you aim to reach? LinkedIN? (Haven't advertised on either recently so I'm genuinely curious if this is possible.)

PS: I've edited the thread title to be more descriptive.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Can you create a FB ad campaign that targets only employees of the companies you aim to reach? LinkedIN? (Haven't advertised on either recently so I'm genuinely curious if this is possible.)

Yes, you can target people who are employed by specific companies. just type the company name in the box as you would a set of 'likes' and if there's an audience available the grey text in the right-side of the audience dropdown will say 'employers' as opposed to 'interested in'. You could also (assuming you knew this) geo-target a specific city to try and get to only employees in a specific office location. The only caveat is obviously the people have to list their employer in their fb profile - if they don't they won't see your ad unless they match some other part of your targeting.

HTH

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

juanalou

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 13, 2016
Barcelona, Spain

Yes it is possible, but this person must have their employer and position listed on FB and then you have to hope that he clicks on your ad. I think reaching out to the actual person is more likely to succeed.

Interesting approach tho, maybe it could work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.