The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The most depressing post you will read this month

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
So as I was going through my daily ritual of browsing the web in search of business opportunities, I ran into this Reddit post

"... [Does Anyone Else] ever hear their alarm go off in the morning and immediately start rationalizing quitting your job or dropping out of school in order to stay in bed?"

It immediately reminded of what my life felt like before I hit the "F*ck it" button and became self employed. Horrific memories of me questioning my life choices in between snoozes; then proceeding to drive my financed entry level Cadillac into morning traffic, while a strong feeling of nausea and fear was growing in me as I was getting closer to my job's parking lot.

Every day literally felt like I was waking up only to drive myself to the abattoir, die a little, only to start over the next day. I remember thinking: "This can't be it. Life cannot suck that much. There's got to be some other way. I'm not accepting this shit anymore."

Back to the Reddit post.

I was expecting to hear tales similar to mine. You know... Human beings who didn't like something, then reacted accordingly. Nope, none of that. All I saw was people trying to figure out how to suck it up and make it less painful. "Take a hot shower!" one said. "Maybe you need anti-depressants!" said the next one. "Sleep more!" and so on... Everyone was trying to numb the symptom, but no one was addressing the problem. If you wake up everyday wishing you were doing something else, well... has it occurred to you that maybe you should?

It fascinantes me that society's stigma of following the preordained path is so strong people can't see they have other options. I've personally been self employed for 3 years and about to start my first real business. It's not been easy to break free from "conventional wisdom" and face violent headwinds everyday, but it's been totally worth it. I don't expect going in business to be easy, but the potential reward massively outweighs the effort. Hell... even failing at business is more enjoyable than working most jobs, so why not take a shot at it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

KrisB

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Feb 13, 2017
San Francisco
Society is engineered to create worker bee consumers. If that is your dominant paradigm, it's incredibly difficult to envision something that subverts it, and there's a wealth of 'solutions' to your 'problem'. That's why:

- psychiatry is a multi-billion-dollar business
- pharmaceuticals are a trillion-dollar business
- alcohol is a trillion-dollar business
- get-rich-quick schemes are a dime a dozen
- self-help books are a dime a dozen
- suicide rates are higher in 'modern' countries

Once you take off the blinders, you can't go back. You change. Or, you agree that you're just too chickenshit to change, and willingly lead a miserable life. Many people choose the latter - the choice to change is always 100% there, and always 100% yours.

motosnipe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 20, 2016
Pennsylvania
This is how I felt up until recent. I try not to make excuses, and I look for every possible way to start my own business, or at least take the jump into a career that allows more freedom. My only reasons for not doing so yet are strictly financial. My credit is shot due to a bankruptcy, so acquiring a loan for even as little as $3k isn't an option.

What kills me most is when I told my mom my vision about starting my own mobile detailing business, she was so quick to shut me down and tell me I needed to keep my secure job, collect the weekly check and keep saving up in my 401k. No matter how hard I tried, I could not convince her. Now, that will not stop me from doing whatever I have to in order to succeed, but I do respect and understand her opinion and concern, being I have two young children, and she is looking out more for them than myself. That, with her working retail her whole life, I see where she is coming from.

As soon as I can save enough and figure out 110% what it is I am going to jump into, I will take that leap.

So I can relate to that post, it just took me longer to realize how much more to life there is.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
My friend and I were talking today about stress and how he's trying to let loose a little bit as far as being tight with his money and doing nothing except saving for his IRA. He's about as much of a slowlaner as you can get and has no ambition or care to do anything else.

Anyway, we were talking about how it can be stressful knowing there is more out there whereas some people just float along going through the motions. And it's true.

For me, I work a very comfortable slowlane job and get paid well. I work with all very slowlane people. But for me, I want to start a business. I know there is more out there and I know that the fastlane brings unlimited upside potential. I'm literally at the point where I don't know how to not want to go after more. I have no idea how people are just comfortable working a 12 hour shift for a couple days in a row and then just become zombie consumers during their couple days off before they have to go back in to work. I don't know how to turn my brain off to not want more for my life.

Sure, it would be absolutely less stressful to just be comfortable knowing that my paycheck was coming every two weeks. I don't know how to do that. As @KrisB said, once you take the blinders off, you can't go back.

I'm on the right track now with starting a real business and I'm confident that it could turn out well, but I won't lie. I get a little anxious thinking that I'll be giving up the comfort of the slowlane job when it provided so much for me in changing my life and putting me in the position that I am now. At the same time, I hope it's sooner rather than later.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
What kills me most is when I told my mom my vision about starting my own mobile detailing business, she was so quick to shut me down...

Several years ago I was in a rough place trying to find myself. I was beyond miserable at an old job, to the point where as soon as I would sit down at work I'd start to have an anxiety attack. After about a year, I couldn't do it anymore. I had to quit with no other plan B. I was fortunate to live at home, but it was tough. I spent 6 months agonizing over the decision, but when I made it and quit, it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.

From there I did some day trading for myself and worked from home for a family member. When those two things didn't work out, I decided I would try finding a job again. It was tough and I had zero confidence that I could find something outside of my hometown doing something other than what I had experience doing -- which was what I ended up hating.

I would tell my mom about a few jobs I applied for and she would say, "you can't do that." Meaning, I had no experience in those fields. It really makes you realize how powerless you are. You're putting all of your self-worth in the hands of someone who is going to decide your future based on a piece of paper. Every denial of a job brought a little voice in the back of my head, "you can't do that," or "see, you're not good enough."

My mom is amazing, don't get me wrong, but those words, "you can't do that" stuck with me for so long. And they still do.

Starting my business now, I am not telling anyone outside of my inner circle. I'm not sure what my parents think, but they know I want more out of my life. They are supportive and I will be forever thankful of them. Beyond that, I'm not telling anyone I work with because I don't want anyone to treat me differently and I don't want anyone to tell me I can't do it or I shouldn't do it or try to talk me out of it.

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
Maybe it's just me and the fact that I hate working but the thought of having to go to work the next day always makes me sick. I'm serious.

Horrific memories of me questioning my life choices in between snoozes; then proceeding to drive my financed entry level Cadillac into morning traffic, while a strong feeling of nausea and fear was growing in me
This is what I go through too. Every morning at 6 am I wake up to my alarm clock with a headache and just want to turn it off and go back to sleep, but instead I get up and rush to be out the door for 7. Still half asleep I drive to work. It's dark out, cold, roads are empty. (I don't work a 9-5 so there's no traffic on my way there, just back)

I put up with this for $1000 a month.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
There is more stress and anxiety in operating your own business than there is on a job. If someone cannot find it in themselves to get up and get to their job then they do have a serious problem. I doubt that the answer for them is to start their own business.

I split out on my own because it was a fun challenge. The job did not have anything to do with it other than teach me skills.

You are correct that most of society does not understand the fastlane approach to life. But the alternate approach will not take most people's problems away.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
I don't understand people. I really don't.

Why do people want to live like this?

I'm pretty sure mediocrity is not as painful for most people as it is for entrepreneurs. People sure complain a out it, but most of them are not uncomfortable enough to take a leap of faith .

As they say: when there is a will, there is a way...

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Maybe it's just me and the fact that I hate working but the thought of having to go to work the next day always makes me sick. I'm serious.

This is what I go through too. Every morning at 6 am I wake up to my alarm clock with a headache and just want to turn it off and go back to sleep, but instead I get up and rush to be out the door for 7. Still half asleep I drive to work. It's dark out, cold, roads are empty. (I don't work a 9-5 so there's no traffic on my way there, just back)

You know one thing that fascinated me when I quit my job and became self employed? The Pay! Some professions have very little operational costs and you can get set up in just a few days.

- Hairdresser
- Trainer
- Computer Technician
- Uber
- Lawn Mowing/Snow Plowing
- Pet Groomer
- A thousand other

None of things Fastlane, but it's a great way to stop the pain until you start an actual business. 1000$ is very easy to earn when money is moved directly from the customer to your own pocket.

It now reminds me of a video on @MJ DeMarco YT channel. He talks about how he learned a wood painting technique in just a few hours and could easily deal that new skill for decent money if he wanted to.

Anyways, society has us think that quitting your job is hard, but it's pretty easy.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Sure, for some. But isn't it a great learning experience and life-changing process at worst?
Yes. I would encourage everyone to do so if they have an interest. The point was that it may not be a better way to go simply because you are stressed or not motivated enough to perform your job.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada

You can hustle your way to $1000/month, even on the side. Obviously I don't know your entire situation, so maybe it's not as easy as I think, but it won't get any easier as you progress through life and start earning more from your job(s). As @Fred Chevry said:

1000$ is very easy to earn when money is moved directly from the customer to your own pocket.

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Yes. I would encourage everyone to do so if they have an interest. The point was that it may not be a better way to go simply because you are stressed or not motivated enough to perform your job.

I think you and I come from a different place. I personally was stressed and not motivated at all while working a job. When I started my own thing I could work until I passed out. When I started having employees and more customers, I would work so much I didn't even have enough time to pass out.

I think it's fair to say that you can either get into entrepreneurship from pain or pleasure, but most likely from somewhere in between.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think you and I come from a different place. I personally was stressed and not motivated at all while working a job. When I started my own thing I could work until I passed out. When I started having employees and more customers, I would work so much I didn't even have enough time to pass out.

I think it's fair to say that you can either get into entrepreneurship from pain or pleasure, but most likely from somewhere in between.
Agreed. I worked many jobs and was neither stressed out or unmotivated.

How many people don't like their life but don't really have the tools to be running a business? You may be an exception rather than a rule.

Last edited:

McFirewavesJr

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
263%
Sep 27, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
You can hustle your way to $1000/month, even on the side. Obviously I don't know your entire situation, so maybe it's not as easy as I think, but it won't get any easier as you progress through life and start earning more from your job(s). As @Fred Chevry said:

A side project would be a great way to start for him (or anyone really). Not only it can bring that extra 1000$ fast, but also give a lot of meaning and fulfillment to anyone's life.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Start a business where you create an atmosphere for your employees to actually want to work. Maybe that will be your unfair advantage over your competitors... having employees wanting to serve your customers just as much as you do.

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
A side project would be a great way to start for him (or anyone really). Not only it can bring that extra 1000$ fast, but also give a lot of meaning and fulfillment to anyone's life.
Yeah jumping into import/export as a side hustle. Once I match my jobs pay I'm outta there. lol

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Since dropping out of college everyone that I have talked to has acted so worried about me lol. I live in a house with 3 other college students and while they now understand my perspective on quitting - it still comes up that basically I have put myself in a situation where if things don't work out I am F*cked. (not true).

It's sad because this essentially alludes to the fact that most people make their decisions out of fear instead of possibilities. College to prevent unemployment instead of to empower. A job to put food on the table instead of growth. The underlying feeling is that if you step away from herd mentality you will die (maybe a slight hyperbole). I believe that it is just a genetic inclination that we all have.

The thing that distinguishes most of us on the fast lane is that we had the balls to realize that the majority of the people we know can actually be wrong. That we aren't putting ourselves in any real danger by taking what they see as risks. After millions of years of evolution and successful procreation we were born. Our ancestors faced thousands of years of real struggle just against the elements, and there you are, sitting in your comfy chair wishing you were somewhere else. Why not use that noggin of yours, a jewel that you were endowed with just by the virtue of being born, to search for something better?

I guess it's all just the double-edged sword of self awareness. We have the ability to reflect and to take action, but you could also wallow in self-pity.

Liana

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jan 8, 2016
There is more stress and anxiety in operating your own business than there is on a job. If someone cannot find it in themselves to get up and get to their job then they do have a serious problem. I doubt that the answer for them is to start their own business.

I split out on my own because it was a fun challenge. The job did not have anything to do with it other than teach me skills.

You are correct that most of society does not understand the fastlane approach to life. But the alternate approach will not take most people's problems away.

I think having your own business is totally different to having a job you hate. When I was 21, I had to get up at 5.30am, walk to the station in the dark and usually the rain, take a combination of buses and trains and eventually get to work at 7.30am to get a coffee and start a 12-hour shift in a call centre where I had to deal with whiny colleagues, office politics and rude people telling at me on the phone all day until it was time to leave and commute 2 hours home, collapse into bed and get up and do the whole thing again. Who wouldn't wake up feeling depressed?

Now I work for myself and it's so different. I'm motivated because my business is MINE. It's like my baby. I'm not slaving away to make someone else rich, or working to help someone else achieve their goals. I can work a 12-hour day and end it feeling great because everything I did was for my business. I get to make all the decisions, I get to be creative, I get to fire clients who are rude to me, I don't need to suck up to a power tripping boss because I'm afraid of losing my job. I wake up excited about the day ahead and all the possibilities and opportunities. Not many people wake up excited to work in a call centre.

MakeMoreMoves

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 19, 2015
So as I was going through my daily ritual of browsing the web in search of business opportunities, I ran into this Reddit post

"... [Does Anyone Else] ever hear their alarm go off in the morning and immediately start rationalizing quitting your job or dropping out of school in order to stay in bed?"

It immediately reminded of what my life felt like before I hit the "F*ck it" button and became self employed. Horrific memories of me questioning my life choices in between snoozes; then proceeding to drive my financed entry level Cadillac into morning traffic, while a strong feeling of nausea and fear was growing in me as I was getting closer to my job's parking lot.

Every day literally felt like I was waking up only to drive myself to the abattoir, die a little, only to start over the next day. I remember thinking: "This can't be it. Life cannot suck that much. There's got to be some other way. I'm not accepting this shit anymore."

Back to the Reddit post.

I was expecting to hear tales similar to mine. You know... Human beings who didn't like something, then reacted accordingly. Nope, none of that. All I saw was people trying to figure out how to suck it up and make it less painful. "Take a hot shower!" one said. "Maybe you need anti-depressants!" said the next one. "Sleep more!" and so on... Everyone was trying to numb the symptom, but no one was addressing the problem. If you wake up everyday wishing you were doing something else, well... has it occurred to you that maybe you should?

It fascinantes me that society's stigma of following the preordained path is so strong people can't see they have other options. I've personally been self employed for 3 years and about to start my first real business. It's not been easy to break free from "conventional wisdom" and face violent headwinds everyday, but it's been totally worth it. I don't expect going in business to be easy, but the potential reward massively outweighs the effort. Hell... even failing at business is more enjoyable than working most jobs, so why not take a shot at it?

The life of:
Alarm, commute, different day, same shit

Is utterly meaningless.

So desperate to get out. I know it's not good to run a business on desperation, but I'm just dying to get out.

Pilot35

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
502%
Sep 2, 2016
oj6v50q.jpg

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
So desperate to get out. I know it's not good to run a business on desperation, but I'm just dying to get out.

Not saying to make rash decisions, but desperation can be great fuel to keep you working on your escape. I don't know why, but sometimes during my morning commute, I think about that final scene from the Shawshank Redemption. It makes me think about what Andy did, versus all the people that just accepted that they'd be in prison for the rest of their lives.

You're only gonna have the willpower to shimmy through a shitpipe if there's something deep inside of you desperate to get outta jail :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y_O094dGDU

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
This thread is about 2 different people.... my wife and I. My wife has always worked in the same field (we are both around 50 years old) and since graduating college only had 2 jobs. She loves her work and has steadily moved up and has 1 more position to go before she is at the top. That's where she wants to be. She is a 9-5er, dedicated to the people she works for. When we first got together 6 years ago she didn't understand how I made money yet I never cleaned (I owned a large residential cleaning business). She actually still has a hard time understanding profit from my current business but anyway... she still to this day doesn't understand how I could put together jobs for my workers and make so much profit at the end of the day and never lift a finger. She said she had never thought about how to do something like that. Some people just aren't wired like we are wired and they will never understand why we stay up until 1am thinking about business when their day was over at 5pm and they want to forget everything about the day. Some people don't want the responsibility of 12-15+ workers and making sure they continue to have work. They don't want that feeling of not having a paycheck go to their bank every 2 weeks. That feeling would actually make her sick. Where as me, I'm more like the guys above... I hated every waking moment of every job I ever had and couldn't wait to move on to another job. Do you know that guy in your family that never has a job and everyone looks down on him? I always tell people that if not for me starting my own business, I would be that guy in my family. No way could I still be going in to work at a set time every day to the same place... that's crazy. Since I retired and sold all my other businesses I have my own little appliance shop and I don't even have any hours posted on my website.... if you come by and I'm here, come on in. Most of the time if I'm working on the computer I won't even go in... I just stay at home naked posting my ads :) TMI TMI aaahahahaha

To the guy that needs to make $1000 a month, this is the test to see if you are all talk or all bs. You can make $1000 a month without really doing much. Start with reselling something small then grow it each time.... before you know it you can be in to cars or houses or what ever you want. If you've never read about One Red Paperclip you should google it and read the story. All it takes is a little effort and you can turn one red paperclip in to what ever it is that you want. You need to read the story to see what he ended up trading for.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
She loves her work

I'm assuming she's happy and that's all that really matters. The best path is what makes you happy. Like that dude in the Matrix who wants back in, some people aren't built for anything that outside the scripted system.

Since I retired and sold all my other businesses I have my own little appliance shop and I don't even have any hours posted on my website.... if you come by and I'm here, come on in.

Welcome to the forum -- I'm betting you have a boatload of good stories. Hopefully you can share some. :)

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014

i never understood this logic.
so you hate working.... but somehow think you're going to turn fastlane with that attitude? I dunno man, I think you gotta fix your priorities.

Drew D

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Feb 16, 2017
Canada, ON
so you hate working....
Jobs, yes. But then again I've only worked in unskilled labor and I've had a poor experience.

If you think I meant working, as in I wouldn't like working for myself, then you misunderstood. Probably because I worded that poorly. And although I don't like working my job, I do work extremely hard there.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I used to hate the word work... hated everything about it. Dreaded every single day that I worked and hated every minute of it. Then I just decided that if I was going to have to work, I needed to make all the money instead of $5.15 an hour. Ever since the 1st day 'working' for myself it has been a whole new world. I didn't know I would feel different. I just knew I wanted to make all the money. And then I figured out... hey, I can have someone else work with me and make more money. So I hired someone.... and then another and before I knew it I had 12 full time workers and 3 part timers and 2 part time workers in another business that was a sister business to my base business. I remember sitting at my desk in 2002 and my then girlfriend walked in and told me that I had just set a new record for myself (she did the books and honestly, I just spent money, I didn't pay any attention to how much I was making... I knew it wasn't no damn $5.15 an hour!!!). When I asked what record she said that I had $4100 coming to me that week. When she told me that, I was like 'WOW'. And that was the day that I knew I had to start paying attention to numbers. So I taught myself book keeping and how to keep track of everything in a business and know my numbers. Before then I just left it up to Lisa. So I think for just about anyone that doesn't like to work, if they become their own boss and see the money coming in, their total life outlook will change and it won't be 'work' any longer. Not everyone, but I think most. What do y'all think? Was it just me or does most everyone think like this?

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
Jobs, yes. But then again I've only worked in unskilled labor and I've had a poor experience.

If you think I meant working, as in I wouldn't like working for myself, then you misunderstood. Probably because I worded that poorly. And although I don't like working my job, I do work extremely hard there.

how do you know if you never tried? you might hate working for you self more than you hate working for someone else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.