The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hello everyone!

I've been reading a great number of threads, posts, and flipping through several books this past week as I try to tackle the beast that is "market research," one of the more daunting tasks involved in the early days of entrepreneurship. I had my goal set - I knew that I want to make $3,000/month for myself. So all the week I had been brainstorming different ideas (you know, like an idiot) and desperately searching for ways to validate them on a shoestring budget. Then, several of your comments peaked their ways around the corner of my skull and jumped into the field.

I was given the great advice, advice that made me feel very uncomfortable at the time of hearing it, that I should focus on customers - not dollars. I was told to focus on getting a product that people want - not focusing on "ways to make $3,000/mo." In short - I had fallen astray from the two wisest words in business as all of my energy and focus was spent trying to find ways to accrue value instead of the infinitely more important task of providing value.

Upon this revelation - I knew that I needed to restructure my goals. I spend a good portion of my book talking of goal setting - so it's important to me that I set myself right. As MJ said - we're looking to grow trees here. If you're looking to grow a tree - you want to make damn sure your seed is in the right soil!

So I broke down, big or small, what are my financial goals? Big - $60,000,000 banked. Small - $3,000/mo. net.

Then, instead of looking for ways to directly earn these dollars, I began to ask, how many people do I have to help at what price in order to achieve this goal. I restructured my goal to be customer-focused and look for the exact number of people that I would have to provide value to.

There are several ways you can make $60,000,000. You can provide $1 of value to 60,000,000 people, $2 of value to 30,000,000 people, etc, etc. A little ways down the list with my business in mind - I found a comfortable range. I felt confident that I could either provide $120 worth of value to 500,000 people - or $240 to 250,000 people.

With these numbers in mind, for my monthly goal, I either need to provide $120 of value to 25 people, or $240 of value to 13 people.

Then - to set the goal, we simply smash these two together. We find an applicable range, and our goal becomes helping the highest number of people in that range at the highest price therein. My goal is to provide $240 worth of value to 500,000 people. Those who will be my competitors in the language learning space either offer inferior (clunky, unorganized, or irrelevant) products at high prices. I am absolutely confident that I can provide better content at a cheaper price.

From here - we go on to set our plan of action, and we get grinding! Once I learned I needed to help 500,000 people (though, early on, a modest 25 per month,) I hopped into Google's Keyword Planner tool - and began searching for applicable languages that I could point my focus towards, and begin building a product.

So if you're struggling in the early stages of your business - whether you're unconfident in your idea, or you don't have an idea at all, try setting your goals up to see how many people you need to provide value to instead of directly looking at how much you need to make.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
One thing that reminds me of this concept is the person who sold 1,000,000 pixels of advertising for $1 each.
It's a very tangible way to remember this.
And breaking down your goal like this also makes it obvious that you must separate your time from it.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
A little ways down the list with my business in mind - I found a comfortable range. I felt confident that I could either provide $120 worth of value to 500,000 people - or $240 to 250,000 people.

Perfect.

One of the companies I am part owner of, we have the goal of helping 50,000 people.

At our current $95 net each, that's $4,750,000

Another way to look at it, that's only .00015% of the US population. Not asking for much.

Only 49,900 more to go haha.

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
Becoming more focussed on providing value...

This is a great way to think about it!

I've been playing around with ideas for cultivating a mindset of providing value. This seems like a simple solution. It's easy to get caught up in financial goals:

I want to make this much money by <goal date>.
I want to be financially free.
I want to own a business that does <large #$ of sales a month>.

I, I, I, and NO focus on providing value.

-----

But with the mindset you talk about, the focus changes from:

"I want to make <large #$>"
to
"Let's start with trying to provide value to someone."

It becomes both a more generous value-giving mindset and makes for better incremental goals.

-----

Overall, great way of breaking it down Dillon!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Hello everyone!

I've been reading a great number of threads, posts, and flipping through several books this past week as I try to tackle the beast that is "market research," one of the more daunting tasks involved in the early days of entrepreneurship. I had my goal set - I knew that I want to make $3,000/month for myself. So all the week I had been brainstorming different ideas (you know, like an idiot) and desperately searching for ways to validate them on a shoestring budget. Then, several of your comments peaked their ways around the corner of my skull and jumped into the field.

I was given the great advice, advice that made me feel very uncomfortable at the time of hearing it, that I should focus on customers - not dollars. I was told to focus on getting a product that people want - not focusing on "ways to make $3,000/mo." In short - I had fallen astray from the two wisest words in business as all of my energy and focus was spent trying to find ways to accrue value instead of the infinitely more important task of providing value.

Upon this revelation - I knew that I needed to restructure my goals. I spend a good portion of my book talking of goal setting - so it's important to me that I set myself right. As MJ said - we're looking to grow trees here. If you're looking to grow a tree - you want to make damn sure your seed is in the right soil!

So I broke down, big or small, what are my financial goals? Big - $60,000,000 banked. Small - $3,000/mo. net.

Then, instead of looking for ways to directly earn these dollars, I began to ask, how many people do I have to help at what price in order to achieve this goal. I restructured my goal to be customer-focused and look for the exact number of people that I would have to provide value to.

There are several ways you can make $60,000,000. You can provide $1 of value to 60,000,000 people, $2 of value to 30,000,000 people, etc, etc. A little ways down the list with my business in mind - I found a comfortable range. I felt confident that I could either provide $120 worth of value to 500,000 people - or $240 to 250,000 people.

With these numbers in mind, for my monthly goal, I either need to provide $120 of value to 25 people, or $240 of value to 13 people.

Then - to set the goal, we simply smash these two together. We find an applicable range, and our goal becomes helping the highest number of people in that range at the highest price therein. My goal is to provide $240 worth of value to 500,000 people. Those who will be my competitors in the language learning space either offer inferior (clunky, unorganized, or irrelevant) products at high prices. I am absolutely confident that I can provide better content at a cheaper price.

From here - we go on to set our plan of action, and we get grinding! Once I learned I needed to help 500,000 people (though, early on, a modest 25 per month,) I hopped into Google's Keyword Planner tool - and began searching for applicable languages that I could point my focus towards, and begin building a product.

So if you're struggling in the early stages of your business - whether you're unconfident in your idea, or you don't have an idea at all, try setting your goals up to see how many people you need to provide value to instead of directly looking at how much you need to make.

I have been having the same revelation. I am a money chaser by definition, but I'm learning to focus more on other people. Not just for monetary gain, but because it brings on a much more rich life experience. It's so simple. Treat others how you want to be treated. Somehow over the course of adulthood I lost that mentality. In my early twenties I learned that "nobody is going to take care of me but me", so my main goal became taking care of me. When I got better at life and better at taking care of myself I never went back towards being good to others. I forgot. Now, thanks to this awesome community, I am being reminded constantly that it's not just the right thing to do, but it's the way to be a successful entrepreneur.

I'm happy for you that you are making strides and getting better. Best of luck to you with your language teaching. I am sure that with the "helping others" mentality you will succeed.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
There is an exercise you can do to help you focus on others. Try going a whole day without using any self centered words. Start as simply as writing a web post using only words like "you" and "your" while trying to completely eliminate "I" and "mine" as a warm up. The practice of using language in a way that focuses on others while excluding "self words" shifts your focus outwards.

It's difficult, but a fun exercise. Try it.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
One thing that reminds me of this concept is the person who sold 1,000,000 pixels of advertising for $1 each.
It's a very tangible way to remember this.
And breaking down your goal like this also makes it obvious that you must separate your time from it.

That guy is called Alex Tew. A real genius.

Not only he made 1m $ with this concept, but it has been proven that companies which advertised on his website got a lot of traffic from it. Quite surprising that a pixel banner can send you visitors...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.