The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Killing Obesity!!! (A plan)

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Being fat sucks

Eating like your fat doesn't

The end.

Just kidding.

Obesity rates in America are still on the rise despite the fact that the fitness industry has and is growing at an exponential rate! So what's up with all the blobs? The answer is hidden in time.

*Flashback*

After the agricultural boom in the late 1800's and early 1900's obesity increased; obviously, but only in small margins (≤1.2% Annually from 1880-1939). But if you'll take a peek at the graph below that displays a timeline of obesity in the U.S you'll see where it all goes to chubbish hell.

sugars-a.jpg

Notice that sneaky little cunt SUGAR

It's no coincidence that the correlation between availability of sugar and obesity levels are so strong. But if you'll look at this graph.

Obesity-trends-over-time-chart.png

Something clearly happened in the early 90's to make Americans a bunch of obese little piggies! Now what could it be? Here are some of the MOST POPULAR FOODS IN THE 90's

35 snacks that will take you back to the '90s

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar.....

Oh look!

Some more F*cking SUGAR!!!!

Sweet Jesus I feel like I'm listening to "The Archies" on repeat

The-Archies-Sugar-Sugar-Foto02.jpg

Well, okay spicymememan! Sugar is bad! But why?

Sugar is bad for everyone, BUT ESPECIALLY MEN!

Studies have shown (Real studies like this one: Abrupt decrease in serum testosterone levels after an oral glucose load in men: implications for screening for hypogonadism. - PubMed - NCBI) (Remember lads, if it's not science, it's a sales pitch) that sugar significantly decreases the big
"T"

That beloved Bullshark Testosterone that makes the world spin and has developed cultures! Packs on the gains, helps you make the hanky-panky, keeps you alert and feeling like a man!

Sugar comes and kicks your t-levels in the balls (Ba-dum-chh)

Plus, sugar spikes INSULIN

Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in your body, which is good, IF, you're trying to repair tissue and muscle. Sadly the more often you eat some sugary substance, the more insulin levels rise in your body, the less insulin resistance you have (Which can lead to diabetes and a plethora of other health problems)

Ok, Spicymemegod, what do we do about it?

We replace it with meats and unprocessed breads (Brown rice is pretty much the most pure of pure grains you'll find)
Proteins regulate cell growth and fats will regulate and optimize your hormonal outputs!

BUT

Animal husbandry is on the decline, which means prices for meat are on the rise!
The return to the good old "Eggs and bacon!" diet would set the WHOLE country on a better track (Along with fewer meals per day)

To accomplish this there'll have to be a way to do the following:

1.) People are ADDICTED to sugar: How can we stop this

2.) How will we fund more meat producing businesses'?

3.) How can we make it the economical choice for all income levels?

I hope this thread sparks some ideas as to how we can help developing countries (Not just the U.S) with their obesity problems. Feel free to chime in!

Cheers!- Grayson. J​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Great write up! Oddly enough, we were discussing about a client(Working to get my Physical Therapy Degree) with Type 2 Diabetes.

An article that was brought up(Published on PubMed) stated that those who went on a vegetarian diet, opposed to a standard diet that included meats, significantly improved their health compared to those on the standard diet. Now, this is only in those with Type 2 diabetes. However, obesity and Type 2 diabetes closely correlates.

Just food for though.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Great write up! Oddly enough, we were discussing about a client(Working to get my Physical Therapy Degree) with Type 2 Diabetes.

An article that was brought up(Published on PubMed) stated that those who went on a vegetarian diet, opposed to a standard diet that included meats, significantly improved their health compared to those on the standard diet. Now, this is only in those with Type 2 diabetes. However, obesity and Type 2 diabetes closely correlates.

Just food for though.

This also traces back to lack of sugar in the diet, I'm not for or against vegetarian diets. What I am saying is that meat (Despite it's relative controversy in the political correctness of the day in age we are in) is GOOD for you, especially leaner cuts that aren't fried. But what you are saying is correct, a diet without SUGAR is healthier!

Btw can you link me that PubMed link if you still have it?

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
This is common knowledge but an interesting topic. Blame the marketers who keep pumping out ads about the new Doritos and oreos etc.

Sugar is Fastlane. It sells. People buy it because they enjoy the dopamine reward.

If there was a way where we can make carrots, lean meat, and brown rice sexier/rewarding through advertising, that would be great. Maybe we can package broccoli snacks similar to Hershey's kisses?

The hard thing about diet is everyone is genetically different. I think it's challenging to target the masses to eat healthier and avoid sugar. Psychologically, some people are addicted to it.

One more thing, sad to say, but majority of people hate eating boring, bland, tasteless food. They much rather prefer McDonald's. Shout out to McDonald's new Grand Mac, Big Mac, and Mac Jr. special. Fastlane baby.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
This is common knowledge but an interesting topic. Blame the marketers who keep pumping out ads about the new Doritos and oreos etc.

Sugar is Fastlane. It sells. People buy it because they enjoy the dopamine reward.

If there was a way where we can make carrots, lean meat, and brown rice sexier/rewarding through advertising, that would be great. Maybe we can package broccoli snacks similar to Hershey's kisses?

The hard thing about diet is everyone is genetically different. I think it's challenging to target the masses to eat healthier and avoid sugar. Psychologically, some people are addicted to it.

One more thing, sad to say, but majority of people hate eating boring, bland, tasteless food. They much rather prefer McDonald's. Shout out to McDonald's new Grand Mac, Big Mac, and Mac Jr. special. Fastlane baby.

These damn white people, if only they added spice to their meals they wouldn't only love the packaged foods.

But in all seriousness, yes sugar is fastlane. But it's also a fastlane problem that can be solved for it.

We could either

A.) Like you said, make better foods more appealing

B.) Mass hypnotize the populace into loving their greens

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
These damn white people, if only they added spice to their meals they wouldn't only love the packaged foods.

But in all seriousness, yes sugar is fastlane. But it's also a fastlane problem that can be solved for it.

We could either

A.) Like you said, make better foods more appealing

B.) Mass hypnotize the populace into loving their greens

Yeah, it can be done.

We need to make our vegan cookies packaging look very similar to Oreos.

We need a Ronald McDonald type clown who inspires magic and fun through healthy eating.

We need to alert people about the rewards of eating healthy greens.

Healthy eating awareness needs to be revolutionary and innovative tho. I think there's progress happening across the country but it's not significant yet.

Imo, we need "fast food" healthy eating styled restaurants, grocery stores that carry healthier organic products, and programs that condition people to eat healthy.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Yeah, it can be done.

We need a Ronald McDonald type clown who inspires magic and fun through healthy eating.

Healthy eating awareness needs to be revolutionary and innovative tho. I think there's progress happening across the country but it's not significant yet.

Imo, we need "fast food" healthy eating styled restaurants, grocery stores that carry healthier organic products, and programs that condition people to eat healthy.

Genetic modification for taste, not a bad idea.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If there was a way where we can make carrots,

Baby carrots are not baby carrots

I've always loved the history behind baby carrots. Turned a vegetable into a somewhat sexy and more interesting food.

The guy that invented these things saw a few NEEDS in the form of farm waste (discarded carrots), lack of sales for his retailers, and convenience for the end consumer, and responded.

His invention more than doubled carrot consumption in the USA in the following 12 years.

Fastlane indeed.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yeah, it can be done.

I think the real problem is price. Eating healthy can get pricey, especially when u get into organics. Mass marketed food products are generally processed, unhealthy and cheap. It seems that the masses would rather save money than live a long healthy life.

Fastlane opportunity: Offer healthy, affordable eating.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
I think the real problem is price. Eating healthy can get pricey, especially when u get into organics. Mass marketed food products are generally processed, unhealthy and cheap. It seems that the masses would rather save money than live a long healthy life.

That's what I'm thinking!

The lower income people of America are actually getting (Statistically) hit harder because it's easy to buy some bread and a *Hamburger* from McDonalds' than it is to purchase some grass fed beef and some vegetables.

Genetic modifying to make some veggies taste better and grow faster, huh huh huh!?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Eating healthy can get pricey

Putting aside organic for a second, eating healthy can be dirt, dirt, dirt cheap.

The problem largely boils down to 3 issues:

1. People don't know how to cook
2. People don't know what to cook
3. When people do cook they waste most of what they bought

And IMHO #3 is the big one. Healthy food gets very, very expensive when you throw away 90% of what you buy. It's only dirt cheap when it's used.

Older generations were AMAZING at finding a use for every shred of food in the house and this and it's frankly a lost art.

Although it doesn't help either that so many recipes out there have blown up into "ingredient monsters" that use either too many ingredients or too many "weird" (or "one-off") ones.

If you ever look at really old cookbooks each recipe is like 4-5 ingredients tops, and used things everyone had in the house and things that many, many other recipes called for. Big "throw it in the pot" recipes were also super common. If you had leftover veggies you made simple but tasty stews, soups, chili, and stir fries. All the recipes also focus on the cheapest cuts of meat and spread it as far as it would go. It used whole cuts (like an entire chicken) instead of broken down parts that are more expensive. It wasn't rocket science.

I would genuinely challenge anyone who says that cooking healthy is expensive by simply asking them what they buy and what they throw away. Because that will likely point to the problem. If you aim for buying as "unprepared" as possible (whole pork shoulder, whole chickens, dry beans, traditional rices, making your own sauces, individual spices instead of mixes, etc...) and use everything you buy, it's pretty damn hard not to come out WAY ahead of any pre-packaged garbage.

And of course eating a proper amount helps. If you eat 3x more than you should it is obviously going to cost you 3x more than it should.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
The problem largely boils down to 3 issues:

1. People don't know how to cook
2. People don't know what to cook
3. When people do cook they waste most of what they bought

I will add to this:

They don't to plan their meals
They don't know how to shop
Their choices driven by convenience (frozen microwave dinners)

I believe you are correct and perhaps eating healthy is just perceived as expensive. I work for a major grocer and know that the vendors with the deepest pockets get the most promotions, best placement on the shelf and the most point of sale marketing material. When a customer shops the store with a flyer in hand, they are bombarded with deals that "they can't refuse". Pop, chips, frozen pizza, processed meats, sugary cereals, and on and on.

Also, most people are on a budget, not that they actually follow it, but they only have so much to spend on food. So when you load up on frozen pizza cause it's on sale, it doesn't leave much $ for carrots and celery.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
If you eat 3x more than you should it is obviously going to cost you 3x more than it should.

It's also how you become a fat bastard. I was already way out of shape from being so sedentary and overeating, and it got worse when my wife got preggers and there was a neverending supply of shit food in the house. I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in a month or so last night, and he's like "I see you're still losing weight, what are you doing?"

Me: I'm not eating so damn much.
Him: Really, I've tried, (lists a bunch of diets which I too have tried),...
Me: Seriously, I don't eat outside of meal time, and at meal time I don't go get "seconds",... also stopped drinking liquid sugar.

My super scientific plan for not being a fat bastard: Don't eat like a fat bastard. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sean Haddad

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 8, 2016

Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in your body, which is good, IF, you're trying to repair tissue and muscle. Sadly the more often you eat some sugary substance, the more insulin levels rise in your body, the less insulin resistance you have (Which can lead to diabetes and a plethora of other health problems)​

Just to fix your statements here so no one gets confused. Higher insulin resistance is what leads to diabetes, not less. You probably meant less insulin sensitivity.

As a budding strength coach and nutritionist, I preach the same message. Although, demonizing sugar isn't the answer, in my opinion. Everything health related is about balance. Glucose is an important source of energy for the body.

Great thread though. I'm all for it!

Sean Haddad

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jun 8, 2016
It's also how you become a fat bastard. I was already way out of shape from being so sedentary and overeating, and it got worse when my wife got preggers and there was a neverending supply of shit food in the house. I ran into a guy I hadn't seen in a month or so last night, and he's like "I see you're still losing weight, what are you doing?"

Me: I'm not eating so damn much.
Him: Really, I've tried, (lists a bunch of diets which I too have tried),...
Me: Seriously, I don't eat outside of meal time, and at meal time I don't go get "seconds",... also stopped drinking liquid sugar.

My super scientific plan for not being a fat bastard: Don't eat like a fat bastard. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's funny because it really should be basic common sense. I mean, the ancients new this shit thousands of years ago, even though nutrition as a field and industry is relatively new.

It's amazing how much ignorance there still is in the world.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Really good write up @Spicymemer45!

The sugar addiction comes from the newly released controversy where Coke was paying researchers to make fats the villain in diet not sugar. So as long as you avoided egg yokes and sucked down a 6 pack of Coke you were fine... right?

I was just thinking yesterday about the simple trend of healthy food restaurants. But you know what's still missing? Healthy drive through. If someone could come up with the idea of good healthy drive through, it could be huge. Serve Korean lettuce wraps, protein shakes, baked sweet potato fries, turkey burgers on protein bread.

We have plenty of quick service places that do healthy food, but have you ever tried eating a salad or quinoa bowl going 75 mph on the highway?

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
It's amazing how much ignorance there still is in the world.

To be fair, a lot of this is major marketing nonsense and not necessarily the (entire) fault of people in general.

My in laws still talk about the food pyramid and how everyone should be eating more fruit. They look at my egg eating habits like I'm going to die at any moment from cholesterol poisoning. They are bombarded by very convincing health experts that flaunt nonsense. Even Dr. Oz claims to be a medical doctor with the goal of helping people who does little more than shill other people's products and ideas. Best selling books written by hacks are endorsed by trusted sources. Infomercials star well known athletic figures claiming this new thing is "the shit".

People ARE ultimately responsible for not being ignorant but I also find it hard to blame them. When the government, doctors, experts, books, tv, and other authority sources all start spouting bullshit under the guise of reality it's not hard to believe that people are going to get really mixed and f*cked up ideas of what they should be doing.

And to make matters worse the "above average" folks know enough about the bullshit going on that it becomes extremely hard to convince them what is actually real.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Even Dr. Oz claims to be a medical doctor with the goal of helping people who does little more than shill other people's products and ideas.

This guy. It still blows my mind that I see Dr Oz on in actual doctor's waiting rooms on a daily basis. Dr Oz really should lose his license.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
This.

I travel a LOT, and it is so freakin' difficult to eat well on the road.

This would be a literal life saver for me.

(I was trying to quote @Scot haha)

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This.

(I was trying to quote @Scot haha)

I'm in my car 8-10 hours a day and days when I'm not doing a lunch meeting, if I don't bring my own food, it's a matter of which burger looks the least disgusting.

I avoid food ideas like the plague, especially the idea of running a restaraunt because I know how challenging it is. But man, if someone could conquer the challenge of healthy handheld food and serve it through a drive through,I think that would be ground breaking.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

I avoid food ideas like the plague, especially the idea of running a restaraunt because I know how challenging it is. But man, if someone could conquer the challenge of healthy handheld food and serve it through a drive through,I think that would be ground breaking.

There are some people doing things in this space restaurant-wise. Snappy Salads is growing fast in TX - there is market demand for a restaurant that is healthy yet tasty and not head-up-its-a$$ douchey. There is huge opportunity here.

As for hand held, I have a CPG food idea that I think will fit in this space, but I can't find a damn co-packing scheme that will make it work, and I don't have the time and energy to do it myself in a commercial kitchen.

You guys have already seen some of my struggles with the current food company I'm at, and I'm already thinking about starting another one on the side. How much must I hate myself?

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
There are some people doing things in this space restaurant-wise. Snappy Salads is growing fast in TX - there is market demand for a restaurant that is healthy yet tasty and non-head up its a$$ douchey. There is huge opportunity here.

As for hand held, I have a CPG food idea that I think will fit in this space, but I can't find a damn co-packing scheme that will make it work, and I don't have the time and energy to do it myself in a commercial kitchen.

You guys have already seen some of my struggles with the current food company I'm at, and I'm already thinking about starting another one on the side. How much must I hate myself?

But when a cheeseburger is like $2, and a salad is $10...ya know?

Plus, it's impossible to eat a salad on the interstate. I have to hold the bowl with one hand, the fork with the other, which is fine...but how am I supposed to text too?

The problem is grain products (bread, tortilla's, etc) make food much more convenient to eat.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

I honestly think this is always going to be the case, and I don't know that there's a market solution for f-ed up priorities. Conversely, a gym membership is cheaper than cable, but everyone has cable and not everyone has a gym membership. People will spend money on what's truly important to them.

Plus, it's impossible to eat a salad on the interstate. I have to hold the bowl with one hand, the fork with the other, which is fine...but how am I supposed to text too?

Your dad never taught you to knee steer?

The problem is grain products (bread, tortilla's, etc) make food much more convenient to eat.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Being fat sucks

Eating like your fat doesn't

The end.

Just kidding.

Obesity rates in America are still on the rise despite the fact that the fitness industry has and is growing at an exponential rate! So what's up with all the blobs? The answer is hidden in time.

*Flashback*

After the agricultural boom in the late 1800's and early 1900's obesity increased; obviously, but only in small margins (≤1.2% Annually from 1880-1939). But if you'll take a peek at the graph below that displays a timeline of obesity in the U.S you'll see where it all goes to chubbish hell.

sugars-a.jpg

Notice that sneaky little cunt SUGAR

It's no coincidence that the correlation between availability of sugar and obesity levels are so strong. But if you'll look at this graph.

Obesity-trends-over-time-chart.png

Something clearly happened in the early 90's to make Americans a bunch of obese little piggies! Now what could it be? Here are some of the MOST POPULAR FOODS IN THE 90's

35 snacks that will take you back to the '90s

Sugar, Sugar, Sugar.....

Oh look!

Some more F*cking SUGAR!!!!

Sweet Jesus I feel like I'm listening to "The Archies" on repeat

The-Archies-Sugar-Sugar-Foto02.jpg

Well, okay spicymememan! Sugar is bad! But why?

Sugar is bad for everyone, BUT ESPECIALLY MEN!

Studies have shown (Real studies like this one: Abrupt decrease in serum testosterone levels after an oral glucose load in men: implications for screening for hypogonadism. - PubMed - NCBI) (Remember lads, if it's not science, it's a sales pitch) that sugar significantly decreases the big
"T"

That beloved Bullshark Testosterone that makes the world spin and has developed cultures! Packs on the gains, helps you make the hanky-panky, keeps you alert and feeling like a man!

Sugar comes and kicks your t-levels in the balls (Ba-dum-chh)

Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in your body, which is good, IF, you're trying to repair tissue and muscle. Sadly the more often you eat some sugary substance, the more insulin levels rise in your body, the less insulin resistance you have (Which can lead to diabetes and a plethora of other health problems)

Ok, Spicymemegod, what do we do about it?

We replace it with meats and unprocessed breads (Brown rice is pretty much the most pure of pure grains you'll find)
Proteins regulate cell growth and fats will regulate and optimize your hormonal outputs!

BUT

Animal husbandry is on the decline, which means prices for meat are on the rise!
The return to the good old "Eggs and bacon!" diet would set the WHOLE country on a better track (Along with fewer meals per day)

To accomplish this there'll have to be a way to do the following:

1.) People are ADDICTED to sugar: How can we stop this

2.) How will we fund more meat producing businesses'?

3.) How can we make it the economical choice for all income levels?

I hope this thread sparks some ideas as to how we can help developing countries (Not just the U.S) with their obesity problems. Feel free to chime in!

Cheers!- Grayson. J​
I agree that sugar is an issue, but I would point my finger more heavily towards the simple increase in wealth and decrease in manual labor. When you are inactive and have money to blow - odds are a lot of it may go to food. It is only when individuals become health conscious that this is avoided. It is abundance and ignorance (and subsequently apathy) that is the root of this in my opinion.

I know people who eat "clean" and don't eat sugars because they think it is unhealthy, and yet they are still fat - which is more unhealthy than anything else. You should eat clean, and you should eat lots of fruits and vegetables, but above all else you need to watch how much you eat.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA

Eating organic food isn't as important as eating enough dark greens and fruits, limiting red meat consumption (to a degree), and limiting how much you eat. Also, I would call it a myth to say that eating healthy is expensive. It isn't. Rice is dirt cheap, along with granola, yogurt, chicken, turkey, whole bread, veggies, etc. I get by on about $30-40 per week for all of my groceries.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

I've never understood the economics of why salads cost so much at fast food joints, because I've seen the PO for produce. Bulk romaine is cheap. And you can buy bulk chicken to bake or grill for just as cheap as ground beef.

@G-Man yes, you obviously do hate yourself. But why not build your own thing?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Also @MidwestLandlord and @G-Man if you think about it, there's already a good model to base this off of.

Bodybuilder have been obsessed with clean eating for a while and have it down to a literal science. There are so many companies that are doing the food subscription/delivery business with clean foods. And the best part is, they've gotten creative. Take my favorite dish my wife cooks. Turkey burger on a sweet potato "bun" (it's just two slices of grilled seeet potato) with curry ketchup. Boom, handheld and healthy.

Take the creative menus bodybuilders and fitness junkies use and turn it into a fast food menu.

Then buy a large wheel barrow and burlap sacks with dollar signs to bring that money to the bank.

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I've never understood the economics of why salads cost so much at fast food joints, because I've seen the PO for produce. Bulk romaine is cheap. And you can buy bulk chicken to bake or grill for just as cheap as ground beef.

My best guess is they are 1) capitalizing on a trend 2) reaping huge margins on slow moving items.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
This.

I made a commitment to myself last year, to eat healthy no matter what while on the road. No more fast food. It means I pay 2x-3x as much for a sit down place, (or order carry-out and wait 15min), then so be it.

Healthy fast food would be a game changer for me. Not sure if there would be enough demand to sustain the biz, especially in the small towns dotted along the interstate. They would have to knock it out of the park with their menu/price/convenience.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
I know that diet is probably the biggest cause of obesity, but inactivity is another contributing factor.

The chart in the op coincided with the industrial revolution and the on-set of automobiles.

The bicycling/walking/horseback riding of the past has been replaced with 70mph la-z-boys. The rise of surburbia and urban sprawl from the 1950s onwards has only increased the amount of time americans spent in their la-z-boys. It's to the point where 60 mile drives are "not that far".

I spent last summer in Copenhagen, Denmark and southern Sweden. I saw one obese person every week or two. Not exaggerating.

The couple of times I went out into the country, I observed that the percentage of obese people went up slightly. City-dwellers were simply just not obese, at all.

Yes, their diet was better. There was some processed stuff in the grocery store, but not much. The stuff that was, wasn't near as prominent... except for candy at checkout. That was the same as the U.S.

There were vegan/vegetarian only restaurants everywhere... and they were packed. My wife was in heaven.

Even the beach-side snack shacks were serving up plates of (damn good) meatballs and mashed potatoes. No shitty burgers or hotdogs in sight. Museum food was out of this world fantastic. It was straight up gourmet. In comparison, last week, the brand new museum in Dallas served me a plate of grease with a side of pizza.

But here's something else: the cities were set up for biking, and everyone biked. It was faster and more convenient to bike to your destination, than it was to drive. The last statistic I read was that only 29% of Copenhageners even own cars.

Coming back to the USA, the very first thing I noticed when I got off the plane in Houston was fat people everywhere. It was shocking.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.