The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Has anyone bought a semi-passive ecommerce biz?

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I have a very successful real estate business but would like to diversify a bit with a semi-passive investment into an ecommerce biz. I'm looking for something priced under $500,000 that nets at least $100,000 without much time required. Does something like this exist?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
Terrible first post.
Lol Jon I remember when you flagged my first post. I think that many people new to forums or online communities forget that they must introduce themselves as they would in physical settings.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
Sorry, I didnt think anyone ever read "introduction" posts. I know I never do.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Sorry, I didnt think anyone ever read "introduction" posts. I know I never do.
Stop posting until you look around a bit longer and see if you think that you'll fit in here. Follow that link that I dropped.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have a very successful real estate business but would like to diversify a bit with a semi-passive investment into an ecommerce biz. I'm looking for something priced under $500,000 that nets at least $100,000 without much time required. Does something like this exist?

To answer your question, if you are looking to pay $500,000 for a business that nets $100,000 there are plenty of people who would sell a business like that to you instantly.

But with that said, if you paid even $300k for a business that made $100k today, and you spent little time on it, you would never get your $300k back. This is because a $100k ecommerce store today will become a $30k ecommerce store in less than 3 years if you just let it plod along and die.

The landscape moves so fast that your store you be in the old ages in 2020. Think about 3 years ago, 2014. Where was Facebook ads? Where was Instagram?

FreshStart87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 28, 2013
New Jersey
To answer your question, if you are looking to pay $500,000 for a business that nets $100,000 there are plenty of people who would sell a business like that to you instantly.

But with that said, if you paid even $300k for a business that made $100k today, and you spent little time on it, you would never get your $300k back. This is because a $100k ecommerce store today will become a $30k ecommerce store in less than 3 years if you just let it plod along and die.

The landscape moves so fast that your store you be in the old ages in 2020. Think about 3 years ago, 2014. Where was Facebook ads? Where was Instagram?
I guess its safe to say that that is a good thing for someone on the hunt for oppurtunities. Have you ever bought a store and if so what the due diligence process for online retail stores. Actually thats a broad question, but what are main things you would look for.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I guess its safe to say that that is a good thing for someone on the hunt for oppurtunities. Have you ever bought a store and if so what the due diligence process for online retail stores. Actually thats a broad question, but what are main things you would look for.

Yes, I have bought some small stores. Back that was a while ago. I usually looked for traffic and its traffic sources (Google rankings). Back then, there was no facebook or social media, but today I would look at likes and followers too. Today, I would focus more on the store's products and how I could import a better product to sell in the store.

QDF

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Jan 1, 2014
Yes, I have bought some small stores. Back that was a while ago. I usually looked for traffic and its traffic sources (Google rankings). Back then, there was no facebook or social media, but today I would look at likes and followers too. Today, I would focus more on the store's products and how I could import a better product to sell in the store.

I agree with biophase - I wouldn't fork over that much money for an ecommerce store. Actually, if I were to look at buying an ecommerce store, I would look for stores with large social media followings, and few products, or products that the margins can be expanded on a lot (e.g. if a store is buying products wholesale or something, switch to manufacturing and branding it yourself). Or a store with a great product to build on, but lacking marketing (not on Amazon, etc.).

In real estate, I would say the equivalent is buying a shitty run down property and fixing it up before renting it out (as opposed to buying a ready-to-go rental property). Little bit more effort, but larger return on your money.

Either way, I wouldn't fork over that much for an ecommerce store if I had it. ecommerce has great time and scale factors, but is inherently lacking in control in many ways, and the environment is still changing too rapidly to stretch a breakeven period for the purchase price to 3-5 years when there are better alternatives.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.