The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much sleep do you get?

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
auuggghhh! I'm on night shift and I'm a zombie if I have less than 7 hrs of sleep and became dependent on caffein (coffee) to keep me awake. Normally I sleep 5 hrs a day on average weekdays and 8-9hrs on weekends (beyond 9hrs and my head aches).

Kade

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 6, 2017
France
At the moment, it's around 8 hours. More and I'm wide awake in bed, less and my eyes won't open.

Workout in the morning or noon, not at night (all that blood pumping through your body)

Agree with all your points, except this one.
Getting your bloop pumping is good, there really is no time for it. Also it has the added benefit of pumping oxygen to your brain, which help you recover and sleep even better.
I second going easy on sugar, and not eating before going to bed.

Sleep is the result of being tired. If you do nothing to tire your body, you will get poor quality sleep. If your body is exhausted (within reason), you will get good quality sleep.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
8 hours.

Also this topic is dumb because it leads to this kind of thinking:

Sleeping less would really increase my free time.

Sleeping less doesn't make you more productive. Chances are you're already unproductive with the time you do have. Concentrate more on using your time well before adding more time.

For example, if you sleep 8 hours a day, that means that you have 16 hours of time to be productive. If you're a normal person, you're probably productive 2 hours out of that 16 hours. Concentrate on increasing that 2 hours to 10 hours instead of adding more time. Because let's say you sleep 4 hours a day. That gives you 20 hours of time to be productive. Do you really think you're going to hit 20 hours of productivity? If you're only being productive for 2 hours? At a maximum 10 hours?

To illustrate this point further - Lebron James and Roger Federer sleep 12 hours a day. It shouldn't be considered a coincidence that the greatest athletes in their sport, with minimal to no injuries, are also the ones that give their bodies the necessary time to rest. You don't need that much time for mental work, but the more time the better.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
At the moment, it's around 8 hours. More and I'm wide awake in bed, less and my eyes won't open.

Agree with all your points, except this one.
Getting your bloop pumping is good, there really is no time for it. Also it has the added benefit of pumping oxygen to your brain, which help you recover and sleep even better.
I second going easy on sugar, and not eating before going to bed.

Sleep is the result of being tired. If you do nothing to tire your body, you will get poor quality sleep. If your body is exhausted (within reason), you will get good quality sleep.

You're right, there's not much conclusive evidence that working out morning or night matters. (edited the post to reflect)

High intensity workouts are also great destressers, but I find morning to be more advantageous.

At night, you may be swamped or drained from the day. Doing it in the morning before the business day starts keeps me more consistent.

(This goes without saying, but I feel many people miss it. Everything you read from others' experience should be tested. Take what works for you, and apply it to your process.)

ehben

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 26, 2015
Without quality sleep, my whole day is over :/ Usually around 8.30 hours.

domefs

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Sep 4, 2016
Germany
Hahaha. All these motivational videos made me sleep like 3 hours for a year, then I burned out and my body gave me some
bad signs.
Eat good, work out and get some fresh air into your room before you sleep!
What has helped me was sleeping in a cold room.
Now I sleep around 5 hours during the week and 7 hours on weekends and everything is fine!
Wish you good sleeping guys - and don't play games with your health!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I sleep natural o'clock. I got to bed around 9-10 and trust my body to wake up naturally at the right time. Usually this is around 5-6.

I used to wake up at 3am for around 4 months. I got a lot done but I think it is quite hard to keep it going year round.

You need to master rest-work cycles to work effectively. We are not robots, we are emotional creatures and continuously have different needs. Trust your body.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
On the the topic of waking up without an alarm.

It seems whenever I tell myself I will wake up at "X" time, i seem to ALWAYS wake up plus/minus 5 minutes of that time

Just had to share

I have the similar thing. Except I usually wake up minus 2-20 minutes. But if I go to bed very late it doesn't happen.

same, I can generally get up at times I set my mind to before I go to sleep at night unless its really really late

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Question:

For those of you that do the 20-25 min nap in the day, HOW do you do this?

I might lay down for a 20 min nap, but I end up sleeping 2-3 hours and feeling groggy.

If I set an alarm to go off in 20 minutes, all that happens is I lay there in bed awake and then the alarm rings and I feel like I wasted 20 minutes being awake in the bed.

If I set it for 50 minutes, I end up going to sleep within 2 minutes or so and get into deeper sleep and wake up groggy.

Trying to find out how to really get it to 20-30 min of sleep.

Is there a device that KNOWS when I fall asleep and then counts down 20 minutes by chance?

Esoteric Wealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Oct 21, 2015
I go to bed at 10PM (sometimes a challenge to be in bed by 10) every night and wake up at 4AM. (6 hours)

First thing I do is take a few big gulps gulps of water from the daily gallon to replenish the lack of water from the 6 hours of sleep. This instantly makes you feel more awake. Water is so important. I never drink coffee, my energy comes from gulping water throughout the day.

Next, bathroom, brush teeth, then get number 1 and 2 done. Then, hop into a freezing cold 5-7 minute shower.

1 hour miracle morning. 30 minute breakfast prep and eat. At the gym by 6AM, out by 7AM.

Then off to MCD's or Starbucks for a little work before my 8AM slowlane.

Out at 4PM, 5-20 min nap at home, then off to Starbucks/Library for fastlane work for the rest of the day.

Question:
For those of you that do the 20-25 min nap in the day, HOW do you do this?

I usually set a 22-23 minute timer, gives me a little 2-3 minute buffer to fall asleep. I fall asleep very fast and can usually fall asleep anywhere though.
Optimal nap time is 5-20 minutes however, so even if I don't fall asleep in time for 20 minutes, I just tell myself even if I fall asleep for AT LEAST 5 minutes, I should be good. This lets me not worry too much about the timer, and just let myself rest and fall asleep.

Just make sure to GET UP after the timer goes off. You might feel like you want to keep napping obviously, but by JUST GETTING UP, you feel the benefits within just a couple minutes, more alert, clearer mind, more awake, etc. It literally feels like you drank a cup of coffee.

However everyone is different. You may be interested in 90 minute naps. This lets your body go through a light sleep cycle, to a deep one, and then back to a light one. 90 minute naps have shown to improve memory and creativity.

Last edited:

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I wake up 6 to 7 hours after I lie down. I'm awake after that, and it's difficult to push it any longer. It's a blessing in disguise.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Function well in anything between 6 and 8. I start noticing if I get less than 5 (I don't function at all)

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
5 hours per night and a 1 hour nap immediately after my miracle morning routine... Then get out and about to start my day.

I tried to do 5am wake ups and keep going the whole day, but I was always sleepy the whole way thru. Factoring in and taking that one hour nap has made all the difference in my energy and mood. And the hour always goes by sooo slow.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
6-7 hours typically.
Recently I hate to increase it by two as I had a temperature spike and bad cough. Flu season in my country apparently. Yikes.

Singh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Feb 27, 2016
UK
For me its 7-9 hours could be thats because I am still young and fairly active. Also I find that when I exercise a lot e.g. gym, I sometimes need 10 hours especially when training legs. I have in the past experimented with less and got by fine on 6 hours but that was during exam times at school where all forms of exercise and unrelated activites to studying were suspended hence I spent very little time not sat in a chair.

Its best to just experiment and your environmental factors and lifestyle have a major impact on the amount you need.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.