The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Marketing, social media, advertising

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
Such a saturated niche where I live.

I chose a niche; relationships w a specific focus on codependency and attachment-related issues.

In short, I'm the guy who helps you get unstuck in your relationships.

I'd created my own website (www.lighthousecounselling.ca) - please feel free to critique it (never mind the constipated looking photo of me I am changing it asap).

Anyhow, apart from SEO, advertising on sites such as Yelp, Google, & Facebook (lighthousecounsellingvancouver), I can't help but feel I am missing a large part of my demographic (people struggling in relationships). I have several current clients who are providing me w positive reviews to both my FB and Yelp business pages.

I've created cards and postcard adverts and have distributed them in coffee houses and upscale grocery stores advertising my services. Some 'carrots' that I'd included are "Online counselling available. Free consultation. Flexible hours".

I think a good way to fill my pipeline is to introduce myself to professionals who may have clients and can act as referral sources for me.

This is my first business so I feel a bit overwhelmed with where to focus first. Currently I work as a counselling associate at a friend of mine's practice (his speciality is motor vehicle accident related trauma). He uses FB extensively generating lots of likes, and has coupons on Groupon. I've contacted Groupon several times to no avail.

I do plan on generating original content such as VLOGs on hot button topics - for example '5 ways to not lose yourself in a relationship' other popular topics re relationships such as how to be vulnerable with yourself (and partner) and offering practical advice to these abstractions ppl often talk about.

I am in the process of writing a short article about attachment types, and I'll post this on other sites linking it to my website.

I can't help but feel as though I am missing something obvious - its just my gut.

Does anyone have any advice as to what other things I can do to maximize my exposure? My clients will be local.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015

I chose a niche; relationships w a specific focus on codependency and attachment-related issues.

I'd created my own website (www.lighthousecounselling.ca) - please feel free to critique it (never mind the constipated looking photo of me I am changing it asap).

Anyhow, apart from SEO, advertising on sites such as Yelp, Google, & Facebook (lighthousecounsellingvancouver), I can't help but feel I am missing a large part of my demographic (people struggling in relationships). I have several current clients who are providing me w positive reviews to both my FB and Yelp business pages.

For online ads, places like PsychologyToday. They get a lot of traffic from people who go to read articles on relationship issues they're struggling with, etc. Would track that against yelp and Facebook.
Your website looks busy at first glance, but I will look some more and may reply later...but just on the first glance, free consultation is prominent. What about doing free talks or groups, also get to know and provide help to doctors or other prescribers. Just some quick thoughts.

Last edited:

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
A person I am close to is a shrink. He has done 4 things to really fill his schedule:

1. PsychologyToday. When you get to the first page of PsychologyToday, it shows a list of providers in your area. There is a short span of copy next to their name. He has taken advantage of this copy area to attract clients. If you look at most of his competitors, they all have cute quotes or something, he SELLS instead.

2. He goes to medical provider mixers and gets his name out there with local medical providers to get their referral business. He also networks with other shrinks and counselors to get referrals. For instance, he treats kids, and a lot of providers don't, so they send the kids his way.

3. He gives his time at our local military base treating PTSD and such. He gets paid for this, but it's less than half his normal rate. This often leads to word of mouth referrals, or the military personnel coming to him for issues that the government will not cover, so then he gets a higher paying client.

4. He's in a large professional building with lots of other businesses in it. He advertises the hell out of the fact that he is in this building that allows discrete appointments. He doesn't even have his name on the door to his office, so no one will know why you are there. It's a great selling point for those that feel shame about getting treatment.

Hope something in there helps.

PurpleMonkey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 17, 2016
Check out the I Love Marketing Podcast. It is about Direct Response marketing but it discusses marketing in general.

The first 10-15 episodes give the backgrounds to the presenters, their stories of building 'local' businesses and how what they have done can apply to you is well worth a listen.

It tends to be about educational based marketing rather than broadcasting the 'brand'.

Fukuokasan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jan 8, 2016
Spain

I've created cards and postcard adverts and have distributed them in coffee houses and upscale grocery stores advertising my services. Some 'carrots' that I'd included are "Online counselling available. Free consultation. Flexible hours".

I think a good way to fill my pipeline is to introduce myself to professionals who may have clients and can act as referral sources for me.

This is my first business so I feel a bit overwhelmed with where to focus first. Currently I work as a counselling associate at a friend of mine's practice (his speciality is motor vehicle accident related trauma). He uses FB extensively generating lots of likes, and has coupons on Groupon. I've contacted Groupon several times to no avail.

I do plan on generating original content such as VLOGs on hot button topics - for example '5 ways to not lose yourself in a relationship' other popular topics re relationships such as how to be vulnerable with yourself (and partner) and offering practical advice to these abstractions ppl often talk about.

I am in the process of writing a short article about attachment types, and I'll post this on other sites linking it to my website.

I can't help but feel as though I am missing something obvious - its just my gut.

Does anyone have any advice as to what other things I can do to maximize my exposure? My clients will be local.

1) Offer Skype consulting. (scale)
2) Record the consulting and ask for permision to your client, at the end of the consultation, to upload it in to your Youtube channel ( you can hide the face of your client if he or she want to be anonimus). Tell your client that doing this he can help other people in the same situation to solve by his own the same problem. (what is true)

By doing this, people (possible clients) will see if you are able to solve their problems too, and you will grow a reputation. Don't say what you are able to do (adds), show people what you are doing (solving real problems).

If you think this can't be done see the Youtube chanel of Calogero Grifasi for example. Calogero Grifasi
You can also check his fees and wait list.
Obviously, he didn't did it in three days.

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
1) Offer Skype consulting. (scale)
2) Record the consulting and ask for permision to your client, at the end of the consultation, to upload it in to your Youtube channel ( you can hide the face of your client if he or she want to be anonimus). Tell your client that doing this he can help other people in the same situation to solve by his own the same problem. (what is true)

By doing this, people (possible clients) will see if you are able to solve their problems too, and you will grow a reputation. Don't say what you are able to do (adds), show people what you are doing (solving real problems).

If you think this can't be done see the Youtube chanel of Calogero Grifasi for example. Calogero Grifasi
You can also check his fees and wait list.
Obviously, he didn't did it in three days.
I agree Skype counselling may be a good thing to promote on my site + advertising campaigns.

Not sure about posting client sessions online, even if I do have their permission and blotch them out it is definitely in the grey area of ethics where I am at.

I am thinking doing some VLOGing on hot button topics, sort of like what this guy has done here
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbYYgIAwZ2U

I agree with the demonstrating rather than saying part, 100%

I want to create that no nonsense warm vibe people gravitate towards.

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
Check out the I Love Marketing Podcast. It is about Direct Response marketing but it discusses marketing in general.

The first 10-15 episodes give the backgrounds to the presenters, their stories of building 'local' businesses and how what they have done can apply to you is well worth a listen.

It tends to be about educational based marketing rather than broadcasting the 'brand'.
Will do, tnx

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
A person I am close to is a shrink. He has done 4 things to really fill his schedule:

1. PsychologyToday. When you get to the first page of PsychologyToday, it shows a list of providers in your area. There is a short span of copy next to their name. He has taken advantage of this copy area to attract clients. If you look at most of his competitors, they all have cute quotes or something, he SELLS instead.

2. He goes to medical provider mixers and gets his name out there with local medical providers to get their referral business. He also networks with other shrinks and counselors to get referrals. For instance, he treats kids, and a lot of providers don't, so they send the kids his way.

3. He gives his time at our local military base treating PTSD and such. He gets paid for this, but it's less than half his normal rate. This often leads to word of mouth referrals, or the military personnel coming to him for issues that the government will not cover, so then he gets a higher paying client.

4. He's in a large professional building with lots of other businesses in it. He advertises the hell out of the fact that he is in this building that allows discrete appointments. He doesn't even have his name on the door to his office, so no one will know why you are there. It's a great selling point for those that feel shame about getting treatment.

Hope something in there helps.
Definitely helpful especially the idea of going to mixers w potential referral sources - this is huge in fact right now i work with trauma and all my clients come from a doctors referral

I do offer a free consultation and online counselling. I also have 3 locations so I have access to a wide demographic.

I've only just started advertising via fb, yelp, and distributing postcards of my business around town.

Getting on counselling directories def seems to help especially theravive, good therapy, psychology today etc though they do cost $ and I am a bit crunched for funds (may have to take a part-time counselling gig at an agency to re invest in my brand/practice).

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
For online ads, places like PsychologyToday. They get a lot of traffic from people who go to read articles on relationship issues they're struggling with, etc. Would track that against yelp and Facebook.
Your website looks busy at first glance, but I will look some more and may reply later...but just on the first glance, free consultation is prominent. What about doing free talks or groups, also get to know and provide help to doctors or other prescribers. Just some quick thoughts.
If I can somehow offer 'carrots' to doctors even just 2 I' d be made.

The way it is here in my city people can get therapeutic services through the government auto insurance provider (this isn't advertised). All we need is a doctor's note that the person is suffering from motor vehicle related trauma to receive funding ($100/120 per 50 minute client session).

Right now I am working as a counselling associate at a friend of mine's business. I feel ambivalent as I've given up a few degrees of control working under him: depending on his mood that he send me clients (among the other 3-4 associates he has), and 2) the fact that he holds access to the one Dr we get all of our referrals through.

So naturally it'd be nice to have a few doctor referral sources of my own for the trauma end of things. My dad is also a doctor and has been in practice 40 some odd years (he has a ridiculously huge practice he'd built from scratch. He's challenging to talk to, and told me he knows of maybe 3-4 other GPs I can email. He's also sent me about 3-4 clients with MVA related trauma symptoms.

Beyond this my niche is working with codependency and attachment " I am the guy who helps you get unstuck in your relationships"

I'd just setup my FB business page a few days back and friended people, in addition to Liking a bunch of relevant groups. I plan to answer some questions in relationship forums and have it linked to my FB and website. At this point I don't have the funds to do paid campaigns, and I am not convinced they're necessary atm.

In addition I m expending lots of time doing SEO for my website, and I plan to compile a list of email address of doctors from yelp (and medical clinical websites) and cold email them with some sorta catchy subject to get their attention.

Still I can't help but think i am missing something really big opportunity wise....

E-Sharp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jun 9, 2015
Still I can't help but think i am missing something really big opportunity wise....

I would also recommend checking out Casey Truffo and her classes on therapy practice marketing. She has some great ideas and they work (plus she's a great example of using scale, time and control)

I'm a private practice therapist too, feel free to PM me.

jb5150

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 18, 2016
I would also recommend checking out Casey Truffo and her classes on therapy practice marketing. She has some great ideas and they work (plus she's a great example of using scale, time and control)

I'm a private practice therapist too, feel free to PM me.
Something I'd just started doing is making my own coupons using an online coupon generator and posting them on my FB business page, Craiglists, Kajiji and anywhere else I can. In addition, creating some target-directed advertisements. I'll take a bit of a pay cut to get some clients in the door. The coupons I've created are limited to 5 sessions per person.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Definitely helpful especially the idea of going to mixers w potential referral sources - this is huge in fact right now i work with trauma and all my clients come from a doctors referral

I do offer a free consultation and online counselling. I also have 3 locations so I have access to a wide demographic.

I've only just started advertising via fb, yelp, and distributing postcards of my business around town.

Getting on counselling directories def seems to help especially theravive, good therapy, psychology today etc though they do cost $ and I am a bit crunched for funds (may have to take a part-time counselling gig at an agency to re invest in my brand/practice).

I would measure your marketing returns in 2 different ways:

1. Ask each client how they heard of you. Write it down, see how many come from each marketing effort.

2. Further break down where each client was referred from with how many actually become a paying client.

So it might look like this:

Dr. Smith referred 12 people. 2 made it past the initial free consult and became paying clients.

Dr. Money Bags referred 5 people. All 5 made it past the initial consult and became paying clients.

PsychologyToday referred 6 people. 4 made it past the initial free consult and became paying clients.

(of course if you have a low rate of conversion from free consult to paying client across the board, that needs addressed outside of your advertising efforts)

This should help you see where your time and money for marketing is best spent.

Does Dr. Smith typically treat the economic lower class and therefore his referrals don't have the money to keep seeing you? Meanwhile Dr. Money Bags sent high conversion rate clients because his clients have money and then became your clients? So wouldn't you focus on your relationship with Dr. Money Bags?

You should definitely be setting money aside for marketing, and then evaluating that marketing to find the most effective and efficient ways to gain clients.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.