The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Software Dev in Chicago

RJ the first

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 15, 2016
I'm a 40s software dev in Chicago. I've been working a slow lane job as a consultant, building enterprise applications for corporations. My main expertise is full stack development and architecture, but in my spare time for the past few years I've been working on mobile apps in my spare time for enjoyment.

I'd like to turn my interest in mobile apps and my experience in the industry into a fast lane business. My main motivations are ... money, I'm tired of being dependent on a fixed salary for my income, I'd like the ability to radically increase my earning potential. And I'm tired of working for other people, eventually I'd like to quit my job and be my own boss.

I have a lot of expertise in IT, and don't want to go into a completely different field for my fast lane business. For this reason right now I'm putting my efforts into starting my own mobile app development studio. I'm doing a lot of my own coding right now, to cut down on expenses, but eventually I'd like to spend more time managing developers and focusing on marketing and business management. And I'm not against using outsourced contractors as a way to speed up development.

As I see it I can -
1) Develop my own ideas for apps that generate profit through 'freemium' model, or in app advertising. I know of a couple of devs who have a large number of profitable apps (20-30) in the app store that make in range of $30k-$40k annually.
2) I can use the apps that I release as a portfolio and start marketing my services as a 'mobile app dev studio for hire', writing apps for small businesses. I know of a couple of devs who charge $50 or so per hour and make a sizable side income working for various clients.

My short term goals are to get a solid portfolio together and establishing the company. My medium term goals are to grow my profits til I'm generating a sizable side income. My long term goal would be to quit my job and do this full time, hiring additional employees, and eventually focusing on running the company and letting others do the sales and dev work.

I guess I'm on this forum to learn. I feel like I have solid technical skills, but I am lacking in - business knowledge, and knowledge of sales and marketing. I am also lacking in truly great ideas for apps that I can totally get behind, I'm especially interested in process of how to generate good app ideas and validate them before beginning development.

Thanks. I appreciate any comments on my 'plan' from people who have gone down this road. Cheers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm a 40s software dev in Chicago. I've been working a slow lane job as a consultant, building enterprise applications for corporations. My main expertise is full stack development and architecture, but in my spare time for the past few years I've been working on mobile apps in my spare time for enjoyment.

I'd like to turn my interest in mobile apps and my experience in the industry into a fast lane business. My main motivations are ... money, I'm tired of being dependent on a fixed salary for my income, I'd like the ability to radically increase my earning potential. And I'm tired of working for other people, eventually I'd like to quit my job and be my own boss.

I have a lot of expertise in IT, and don't want to go into a completely different field for my fast lane business. For this reason right now I'm putting my efforts into starting my own mobile app development studio. I'm doing a lot of my own coding right now, to cut down on expenses, but eventually I'd like to spend more time managing developers and focusing on marketing and business management. And I'm not against using outsourced contractors as a way to speed up development.

As I see it I can -
1) Develop my own ideas for apps that generate profit through 'freemium' model, or in app advertising. I know of a couple of devs who have a large number of profitable apps (20-30) in the app store that make in range of $30k-$40k annually.
2) I can use the apps that I release as a portfolio and start marketing my services as a 'mobile app dev studio for hire', writing apps for small businesses. I know of a couple of devs who charge $50 or so per hour and make a sizable side income working for various clients.

My short term goals are to get a solid portfolio together and establishing the company. My medium term goals are to grow my profits til I'm generating a sizable side income. My long term goal would be to quit my job and do this full time, hiring additional employees, and eventually focusing on running the company and letting others do the sales and dev work.

I guess I'm on this forum to learn. I feel like I have solid technical skills, but I am lacking in - business knowledge, and knowledge of sales and marketing. I am also lacking in truly great ideas for apps that I can totally get behind, I'm especially interested in process of how to generate good app ideas and validate them before beginning development.

Thanks. I appreciate any comments on my 'plan' from people who have gone down this road. Cheers.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your intro.

Make sure you read the book, and the first link in my signature.

I was in IT for 15 years before falling into online marketing, and I've moved from employee to contractor to freelancer to budding agency owner (business person).

I like that you're not averse to providing a service first. I find it a great way to meet and work with business owners (helping you level up quicker). It's also great to get paid to learn their vertical.

Some podcasts I found really helpful are:
You might find the two radio interview links that are bolded in my signature helpful too.

Good luck on your journey. You've a great technical skillset, now *just* to pick up marketing, sales, and business skills! :)

RJ the first

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Sep 15, 2016
http://www.avocarrot.com/blog/can-make-money-building-mobile-apps-developer-survey/
http://www.avocarrot.com/blog/can-make-money-building-mobile-apps-developer-survey/
So I've been reading articles like this and thinking about the 'business plan' that I detailed above. It seems to me right now that it is pretty difficult for an individual to make substantial money out of developing and selling apps on the App Store. Especially someone like me who does not develop games, although I'm not against learning Sprite kit or outsourcing that kind of development.

Do you guys still think the 'business plan' is worth it, given the effort involved and the odds of success? I don't want to spend so much effort for nothing. I'm still not adverse to generating money as a contractor or freelance mobile Dev for small business, although that seems to involve networking and sales skills I haven't even looked at at this point given all the time I've spent developing apps. My goal is a sizable side income and eventually financial freedom, I just don't want to be barking up the wrong tree.

In other news, I'm about to release a new app this week and am on track for 3-4 new apps within the next month. Thanks for any comments.

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
Full credit to those who make it big in the app space.

I had a little play but my market wasn't that big and really I skimped on the app itself.

<WHILE WRITING THIS I LOG INTO GOOGLE CONSOLE>

I hadn't logged into the console for about 10 months.

App is a bit broken and people cant buy anything anymore.

800 installs this month.

I need to go and sort this out.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think you should spend a bit more time developing sales and marketing skills. You've identified you need to in both your posts.

Developing apps but not being able to sell them isn't going to get you far.

Part of the problem is that you're very much thinking about this from your own viewpoint. Read your two posts and count how often you talk about your own needs and desires.

The first step is to change your viewpoint and try and see things from other people's viewpoints.

I posted earlier. Did you listen to any of what I linked to? What's your takeaways if you did? Why didn't you if you didn't?

Here's a very relevant post for you:

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.