The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This book was mentioned previously, but I am reading

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

Super interesting. It's the type of book that entrepreneur geeks love, myself included.

Great story with INSIDERS insights into the founding, methodology, and operation of Amazon.

Highly recommended, especially for anyone who plays in the eCommerce channel.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
This book was mentioned previously, but I am reading

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon

Super interesting. It's the type of book that entrepreneur geeks love, myself included.

Great story with INSIDERS insights into the founding, methodology, and operation of Amazon.

Highly recommended, especially for anyone who plays in the eCommerce channel.

Any idea where I can buy a copy?

(-:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Interesting book, but I think other creativity book is better than this one. For example, Thinkertoys

I just rediscovered Tinkertoys to try to get my brain in the right mood again for the next season. Christmas stuff is in the books, it sells or not, not much more to do. I really like this book, strategies to look at problems and products from different angles.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
Just started "The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing" by Al Ries & Jack Trout. It's a short book: 130 pages and fun to read so far. Lots of common sense reminders that make it a great tool to keep on your desk.

Also, "Four Stroke Performance Tuning" by A. Graham Bell because it reads like a textbook, helps me fall asleep.

_Master_Shake

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Nov 28, 2016
Illinois
"How to win friends and influence people" by non other than Dale Carnegie.

Yes, its a classic but still relevant today. Really helps to show you how to deal with clients, customers, and people in general. I never read it (I know it was a required book for many college majors).

Mr.Donnerhuhn

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Aug 2, 2015
"The Way of Men" by Jack Donovan

It's a pretty compelling book. I got the audiobook with my monthly audible credit. Made me want to form a gang and go out into the woods and cut down a tree.

OliverR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 28, 2012
EU
What I've read since August (By reading I mean listening in audiobook format and usually in 2x speed which helps alot)
Added book title/author and some of the key takeaways I got

Mindset

Carol Dweck
- Great book to identify limiting beliefs,
Have a growth mindset, you can learn anything if you want, ask the right questions, failure is ok, it’s how we learn.
Edit: Also a great read if you have children and how some of the things you say and do to encourage them might actually be f*cking up their life

Money: Master the Game
Tony Robbins
- All weather portfolio, the only thing in your control is assets allocation, trying to time the market or pick a winner is a fools game, also investigate the 5 driving forces of men

Man's Search for Meaning
Viktor Frankl
- Find meaning in even the bad things that have happened to you

The Obstacle Is the Way
Ryan Holiday
- Good book on philosophies that have driven great men

Linchpin
Seth Godin
- Most valuable thing I took was him identifying the negative voice in the back of your head and how to fight back, don't let the resistance hold you back

The 4-Hour Work Week
Timothy Ferris
- Create your muse, build the business, know how it works in every aspect and then come up with systems to automate and free your time, follow the 80/20 principal in whatever you do, find the 20% that produce 80% results and focus on that.

The Millionaire Fastlane
MJ DeMarco
- The book that set me on my journey.

Meditations
Marcus Aurelius
- Probably need to read again as was difficult to capture over audio, a lot of thoughts

Mastery
Robert Greene
- Embrace the apprentice mindset and find a mentor. Study different fields and make unique connections. Mastery takes a lifetime of dedicated effort

The 48 Laws Of Power
Robert Greene
- Lot's of good insights into human behaviour difficult to pick one main thing I picked up

Start With Why
Simon Sinek
- Look up the golden circle theory when marketing a product or service, start with why and move outwards. Don’t start by talking about features and how you are better. We are innovators who just happen to build/do X.

Think And Grow Rich
Napoleon Hill
- Create a mastermind group and check out goal setting procedure from there

ReWork
Jason Fried & David Heinemeirer Hansson
- Found loads of good insights difficult to summarize in one point, maybe one thing that stood out was that you don't have to take massive amount of VC to be successful. Hustle your way to the top.

The E-Myth Revisited
Michael Gerber
- Great read after TMFL and FHWW to tie things together and how to approach building a business that is sellable (liquidation event)

Last edited:

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
60 minute brand strategist.

Expensive for a short book, but well worth it. I'm on my second reading because although it is short it is heavy on information.

I previously took a course on marketing that wasn't as well rounded or as dense as this book.

jessicalovejoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 4, 2016
I liked it. Classic business book. Affirmations sort of help me but not really sure how it all fits into place yet.
A better book to help you understand how it fits together would be "What to say when you talk to yourself". It places emphasis on using positive self talk to help generate your beliefs, which in turn generate your attitudes, which in turn generate your actions which in turn generate your habits.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Just finished winning through intimidation.

STarting two books simultaneously.

1 is SOROS on open society
and the other is The strategy focused organization.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
A better book to help you understand how it fits together would be "What to say when you talk to yourself". It places emphasis on using positive self talk to help generate your beliefs, which in turn generate your attitudes, which in turn generate your actions which in turn generate your habits.

Jessica! Welcome to the Fastlane forum!

I'm currently re-reading the Power of the habit, great light read and keeps you mindful of what types of habits you can form just from typical everyday routines

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
another good read is tim ferris tools of titans,

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
Currently reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.

I'm only on chapter 8 and it's a fascinating read so far.

It answers many interesting questions, such as:

- What is the one human ability, above all, which allowed homo sapiens to conquer the world?

- Did our Stone Age ancestors have monogamous relationships and nuclear families?

- Why is it possible for millions of humans to cooperate and work toward common goals, but not chimpanzees?

I highly recommend Sapiens to anyone interested in understanding how humans evolved up to our present day selves (and how technology is leading to the next great revolution).

Here's a TED talk by the author:

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
I'm currently reading Shoe Dog by Phil Knight and it's INCREDIBLE. It's not the fact that he took Nike from $8000/year from 1964 to $43bn/year in 2016 which in itself is madness. It's the spiritual journey that took him from dreams to reality. He talks about everything I believe in and follow. He had the same anxieties as me. He's human.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
The Art Of The Deal. Whatever your political beliefs are, I highly recommend it.

1) i learned Trump's philosophy in a dating program by Gary Brodsky

his philosophy is well known of traders in wall street : " he who cares less win"

traders philosophy is : " yes we made a fortune today , so what ? " and " yes we have lost a fortune today , so what ? "

they want money but they are not emotionnaly attached to it so they win in the long term

2) i am reading neville Goddard's books

if his teachings is right, i will say farewell next month on this forum

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
What I've read since August (By reading I mean listening in audiobook format and usually in 2x speed which helps alot)
Added book title/author and some of the key takeaways I got

Mindset

Carol Dweck
- Great book to identify limiting beliefs,
Have a growth mindset, you can learn anything if you want, ask the right questions, failure is ok, it’s how we learn.
Edit: Also a great read if you have children and how some of the things you say and do to encourage them might actually be f*cking up their life

Money: Master the Game
Tony Robbins
- All weather portfolio, the only thing in your control is assets allocation, trying to time the market or pick a winner is a fools game, also investigate the 5 driving forces of men

Man's Search for Meaning
Viktor Frankl
- Find meaning in even the bad things that have happened to you

The Obstacle Is the Way
Ryan Holiday
- Good book on philosophies that have driven great men

Linchpin
Seth Godin
- Most valuable thing I took was him identifying the negative voice in the back of your head and how to fight back, don't let the resistance hold you back

The 4-Hour Work Week
Timothy Ferris
- Create your muse, build the business, know how it works in every aspect and then come up with systems to automate and free your time, follow the 80/20 principal in whatever you do, find the 20% that produce 80% results and focus on that.

The Millionaire Fastlane
MJ DeMarco
- The book that set me on my journey.

Meditations
Marcus Aurelius
- Probably need to read again as was difficult to capture over audio, a lot of thoughts

Mastery
Robert Greene
- Embrace the apprentice mindset and find a mentor. Study different fields and make unique connections. Mastery takes a lifetime of dedicated effort

The 48 Laws Of Power
Robert Greene
- Lot's of good insights into human behaviour difficult to pick one main thing I picked up

Start With Why
Simon Sinek
- Look up the golden circle theory when marketing a product or service, start with why and move outwards. Don’t start by talking about features and how you are better. We are innovators who just happen to build/do X.

Think And Grow Rich
Napoleon Hill
- Create a mastermind group and check out goal setting procedure from there

ReWork
Jason Fried & David Heinemeirer Hansson
- Found loads of good insights difficult to summarize in one point, maybe one thing that stood out was that you don't have to take massive amount of VC to be successful. Hustle your way to the top.

The E-Myth Revisited
Michael Gerber
- Great read after TMFL and FHWW to tie things together and how to approach building a business that is sellable (liquidation event)

Some great books on this list. I have E-Myth and Meditations on the bookshelf now. I'm currently reading Shoe Dog by Phil Knight.

oimate

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Jul 8, 2015
Currently reading S.U.M.O (Shut up, Move on)

Recommeded

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Currently re-reading our flagship book TMF , and digging through all of the Afrikaans grammars I can find.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'm currently reading Shoe Dog by Phil Knight and it's INCREDIBLE. It's not the fact that he took Nike from $8000/year from 1964 to $43bn/year in 2016 which in itself is madness. It's the spiritual journey that took him from dreams to reality. He talks about everything I believe in and follow. He had the same anxieties as me. He's human.

Agreed, it's one of my absolute favourites. Very well written, lots of drama, excitement, and humor.

PeteA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Feb 15, 2017
Miami, FL
About to get started on The Lean Start Up... I just got finished with Tim Ferriss's 4 Hour Body, certainly changed the way I diet and exercise.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
The Future of The Mind - Michio Kaku

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.