The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ecommerce Monthly Contest. Who sells the most?

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Is this a dumb idea?
I would be interested in a free website where ecommerce people can do a friendly competition posting their monthly sales figures. It could be similar to a football league with divisions. Those divisions could be divided into amazon, ebay, shopify, etc. It would be easy for people to see the latest ecommerce trends (best platform, sales channels, sourcing).
upload_2016-10-25_14-3-50.png

The discussion of sales/strategies could take place on a single thread on this forum. The website link would be on the thread.
Everybody likes competition right? If you are competing against your peers you would feel the need to work harder.
--
For the record, I'm not advertising an existing site like this (couldn't find one), and I would rather not build it myself at this moment. But it's a free idea for somebody out there that could benefit a lot of people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I'm a complete noob on this front, but this sounds like a lot of fun! But I'm not sure if people on this forum would be comfortable sharing their figures.
Yes that crossed my mind. It would be more for new-mid experience.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
What would stop anyone from comming on there and just posting a mil in sales?

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
What would stop anyone from comming on there and just posting a mil in sales?
There would be nothing to gain. And they would have to be a member on this forum. B.S. would be detected immediately and they would be deleted.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
There would be nothing to gain. And they would have to be a member on this forum. B.S. would be detected immediately and they would be deleted.
Well there are a lot of people that like to troll, so be carefull about that. All in all I like the idea.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Is this a dumb idea?
I would be interested in a free website where ecommerce people can do a friendly competition posting their monthly sales figures. It could be similar to a football league with divisions. Those divisions could be divided into amazon, ebay, shopify, etc. It would be easy for people to see the latest ecommerce trends (best platform, sales channels, sourcing).
View attachment 13415

The discussion of sales/strategies could take place on a single thread on this forum. The website link would be on the thread.
Everybody likes competition right? If you are competing against your peers you would feel the need to work harder.
--
For the record, I'm not advertising an existing site like this (couldn't find one), and I would rather not build it myself at this moment. But it's a free idea for somebody out there that could benefit a lot of people.
I personally wouldn't participate. There is only one person's numbers I am wanting to beat, and those are mine from last year. There are tons of people doing better than me and tons that do worse. If someone is grossing a million a month awesome but my comparing my revenue to his doesn't do anything to help my business or sales increase. If your reason to work harder is because you have to beat another person's numbers than you need a new reason IMO.

mazo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Sep 12, 2016
Got to agree with @Ecom man on this, I can't see the benefits to myself. Would rather see what mistakes others are making so I could go on and better them. Now this would have benefit to all us.

Chimp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 30, 2016
Is this a dumb idea?
View attachment 13415

--
The bolded part could be full of value but seeing random people with their sales numbers won't help anyone. I think if you want to create the most value you should just create a thread.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I personally wouldn't participate. There is only one person's numbers I am wanting to beat, and those are mine from last year. There are tons of people doing better than me and tons that do worse. If someone is grossing a million a month awesome but my comparing my revenue to his doesn't do anything to help my business or sales increase. If your reason to work harder is because you have to beat another person's numbers than you need a new reason IMO.
I read your entire 80+ page thread. You have plenty of traction to not need the extra edge.
My motivation problem is that I have to wait forever for my first real batch of products to come in from china. That's really pivoting me to look for things I can source locally and engineer myself.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I read your entire 80+ page thread. You have plenty of traction to not need the extra edge.
My motivation problem is that I have to wait forever for my first real batch of products to come in from china. That's really pivoting me to look for things I can source locally and engineer myself.
I can see your site being valuable to people putting their first product onto market - but it also might be dangerous. Competition should push people from 0 - month 3 or 4 but if it turns into a swinging dick contest people may push harder on ads just because, regardless of ROI. So maybe, instead of revenue you focus on profits. Revenue month 1, revenue month 2, profits month 3, profits month 4,...the "Winner" is total profits. How to analyze that? Who knows

Best of luck. Competition is fun but if it's driving people to push unprofitable sales to victory that's not good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.