The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Young dropout from Sweden

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
Hello, everybody!
17 years old from Sweden. Dropped out from High-School in January for different reasons, but shortly. I can just say that my whole time in school since 4th grade has been quite a mess. Yes, I've had meetings with the counselor, principal, school nurse and everything like that, in different schools as well.
I got too tired of all this mess which ended with me dropping out, ever since I've kinda been self-developing myself and recently I decided to get myself to read TMF . I am 2/3 into the book and decided to join the forum now :)

I am hoping to get started with my business later this year and be able to travel around the world with the money I earn monthly later on from that business. When I've travelled til I get bored and wanna get home, I'll probably end up selling my business and starting up another one. But we'll see when I get there ;)

Hope to get in contact with some great people here who can help me with different stuff and I shall do my best to help others as well if I feel I can jump in with some different insights or knowledge

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Hello, everybody!
17 years old from Sweden. Dropped out from High-School in January for different reasons, but shortly. I can just say that my whole time in school since 4th grade has been quite a mess. Yes, I've had meetings with the counselor, principal, school nurse and everything like that, in different schools as well.
I got too tired of all this mess which ended with me dropping out, ever since I've kinda been self-developing myself and recently I decided to get myself to read TMF . I am 2/3 into the book and decided to join the forum now :)

I am hoping to get started with my business later this year and be able to travel around the world with the money I earn monthly later on from that business. When I've travelled til I get bored and wanna get home, I'll probably end up selling my business and starting up another one. But we'll see when I get there ;)

Hope to get in contact with some great people here who can help me with different stuff and I shall do my best to help others as well if I feel I can jump in with some different insights or knowledge
Hi and welcome!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Hello, everybody!

Welcome to the fastlane. Now that you quit school you can start on your real education. You have a lot of life lessons to learn. Blaze your trail and show us what you can do.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Why did you drop out?

Because honestly, running and building a business is way harder than school and in the real world, no one gives a shit about you. To say you're going to build a business, travel, sell it, and build another with 0 experience is more based in fantasy than in reality which is common for young ambitious teens... Reality sets in and you realize there is nothing that comes easy. All im recommending, from experience is to make sure you have a solid base to build from

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
Hello, everybody!

Hey man :)

Welcome on TMF

You know the way you want, that's cool... so GO AND GET IT !!

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Why did you drop out?

This is the most important question for you to answer. If you think that running a business is easier than school, then you're wrong.

Being 17, without a high school diploma, broke, and likely filled with false hopes -- is a terrible place to be in. Do a self-assessment and figure out who you are, where you want to go, and if you can actually get there; as in: what's your plan, and what are you doing today to make that goal a reality?

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
I hope you find a good mentor

Good luck!

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
Why did you drop out?
I dropped out due to how my school years was ever since 5th grade. I have a disease called Hypothyreosis, and for some reason when I moved to a new city. The doctors decided (that hospital had a professor researching the subject) that my test results were good enough to be put off the medicine. Truly it is right in between what's "accepted" and what's not "accepted". If you are healthy at 4, and they give you medicine at 3.5, I was literally at 3.6. That was in 5th grade, I had recently moved to a new city and didn't really have any social life. I was absent 50% of school ever since I was put off medicine and they didn't reinstate my medicine until 1 ½ years ago. The second half of the year before I went to HS.
I still managed to get "ok" grades. Meaning that I never failed a class even if I had 50% absence whole time in school the last 4 years, but of course, I can't have top results when I am not presence for half the time. During these years I also switched schools 3 times which also affected things.
Last year (2015) we decided we were gonna move again, we were "done" with our current city. So during the summer I had no idea what I would do in school, see here in Sweden we can't ask to go to another school outside our current county unless we have a residence in that county as well. Which we didn't for the time. So I had to apply for multiple High-Schools (old city) reject their acceptance, apply to other High-Schools (new city) and then they had already accepted the pupils for that whole year. So there were few spots over in many schools.
Basically, I was limited in my school-choosing already from the beginning, limited knowledge in most subjects due to my massive absence and I did not have the possibility to choose what I truly would have wanted to have done in HS as my grades didn't really help me.
When I finally started HS (one week later than everybody else) I felt I've made the wrong choice. I did not like my classmates and I felt like I chose the wrong major, which did not truly give me a challenge (Other than my absence, I was never challenged by school and repeatedly were a top student and bored of school). I felt mediocre and I wasn't comfortable with how the ways were. I started looking to change major in that school itself or if any other school would accept me if I thought it could be better where I currently was. I got in contact with 5 different schools but none of them could accept me for either it being too late in the semester, or they had the maximum amount of students already.
I got in contact with a distance school (yes a f*king distance school) which said (WTF) that they can't take me in due to not having any spots left over??

Now this isn't all information, there is a lot more to my story that I am not comfortable sharing on the internet, or at all.
But I did not drop out "cause I didn't wanna go to school". All of the people I met above (counsel, principal, school nurse and such) all said that I was a paper that unfortunately had gotten away from the paper pile. No, I am not approaching this from a victim mentality but, of course, I am a bit pissed off on how things went out the last year. It wasn't exactly as I had planned it ;)

When I felt there was no other way (if I didn't wanna stay in the current school) that's when I decided to drop out. That was in January and ever since I have been self-developing and that's when I stumbled upon 4HWW, TMF and many other books that I've taken use of. I had no plan of starting a business when I dropped out, that's a process (not an event) that led me to the "decision" (an event caused by a process) that I truly wanted to start a business.

Now, I completely understand that running a business isn't a game, but I wouldn't get myself into something I don't think I can pull off :)

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I wouldn't get myself into something I don't think I can pull off
How about high school?

I'm from Sweden too. I know how our system works and I can feel your mindset. But buddy, you're 17 - It is ok for you to feel abandoned and lost.

For your own sake, and I am not saying this because I think that schools rock (they don'), but get your shit together and go back to school.

"why?"

Because you will face struggles in your life that will crush you in every way possible. If you are not used to persistence when the hard time comes, you are inevitably going to fail.

Listen to the guys above me when they say that high school < business when it comes to difficulty.

Go back to high school, learn to deal with it and don't blame papers, doctors or some other shit nobody cares about. Learn different aspects of business on the side, when you get home.

I'd recommend you to do 3 things:

1. Finish high school
  2. Start learning the basics of business
  3. Join a team sport and play a supportive role
You can contact me here or PM and we can talk over skype.

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
How about high school?

Listen to the guys above me when they say that high school < business when it comes to difficulty.
  1. Finish high school
  2. Start learning the basics of business
  3. Join a team sport and play a supportive role
You can contact me here or PM and we can talk over skype.

I appreciate your honesty and insights :)
Nice to see another Swede here as well ;)

But I wanna make one thing clear, I didn't drop out because I couldn't handle High-School. I know I could and I could probably make it with good grades.

I dropped out because it wasn't right for me. Now I haven't ever stated I won't get back into school, I still have that back in my head. But the best decision at the time (January) was (at least in my opinion) to drop out, if not for getting into the ideas of starting a business just to find myself more. I was majoring civics even if I have no interest in it, I should have gone economics or science. I don't wanna live a life where I choose wrong major and then take a work where I have to work with something I'm not interested in, so even if I were to go back to school I can now take a better decision on what school/major I should go as I've gotten new experience. Now, of course, it would be a bit late to start in school again this year. But next year if I were to have started a successful business and I wanna travel I can always take a distance school/course. Therefore I get my HS degree and I get to do what I want (travel). I am engaged in different activities where I have leader roles, and that's truly something that gives me an opportunity to grow in myself.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I appreciate your honesty and insights :)
Nice to see another Swede here as well ;)

But I wanna make one thing clear, I didn't drop out because I couldn't handle High-School. I know I could and I could probably make it with good grades.

I dropped out because it wasn't right for me. Now I haven't ever stated I won't get back into school, I still have that back in my head. But the best decision at the time (January) was (at least in my opinion) to drop out, if not for getting into the ideas of starting a business just to find myself more. I was majoring civics even if I have no interest in it, I should have gone economics or science. I don't wanna live a life where I choose wrong major and then take a work where I have to work with something I'm not interested in, so even if I were to go back to school I can now take a better decision on what school/major I should go as I've gotten new experience. Now, of course, it would be a bit late to start in school again this year. But next year if I were to have started a successful business and I wanna travel I can always take a distance school/course. Therefore I get my HS degree and I get to do what I want (travel). I am engaged in different activities where I have leader roles, and that's truly something that gives me an opportunity to grow in myself.

You dropped out in January, what have you done since then? Ten months?

ReeZ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Oct 9, 2016
You dropped out in January, what have you done since then? Ten months?
Short answer I've been working on myself. Getting a better understanding of myself, who I am and what I need to improve. These months have been mostly about improving myself, either in mindsets/beliefs or just how I can "read" people better with the use of body language. It wasn't really until during/after the summer I got "hardcore" into wanting to start a business.

This has kinda been my "sabbath year" that year that young people tend to take when they are done with school and are deciding on a university.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.