The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hard work is irrelevant

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"The market doesn't pay for activity." (Blaise Brosnan)

What do you say when someone asks how things are going?

Do you say you're "busy"?

That's the wrong yardstick. The market doesn't care how busy you are.

You can't invoice for busyness - only output.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
"The market doesn't pay for activity." (Blaise Brosnan)

What do you say when someone asks how things are going?

Do you say you're "busy"?

That's the wrong yardstick.

The market doesn't care how busy we are.

We can't invoice for busyness - only output.
Nailed it.

Someone, make this guy a new minister in Ireland. This country needs this kind of people.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/43729...innovative-culture-lost-her-job-to-the-system

Tldr
  • Do whatever you want as long as you produce
  • Pay your people well and let them create systems to make themselves redundant
Interesting read, thanks for the share.

We're so used to measuring the inputs, and expecting to be paid for those inputs.

"I put 10 hours in, that should be worth $500."

"I bought it for $20 and the handling was about $5. Let's mark it up and sell it for $35."

That's a poor way to price.

The market might not value your output as highly as you want it to based on your inputs/costs (aka being unprofitable.)

The market might also value your output a lot higher than you'd think based on your inputs/costs (aka leaving money on the table).

If you're in B2B then your output is part of their input - it's part of their value-chain.

Find out how much your output is worth to others, and charge accordingly.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking the value of your output is based on how many hours you put in, how hard you worked, or how busy you were.

"You can't invoice for input." (Blaise Brosnan)

(That Blaise dude is a smart guy...)

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
culture-34-638.jpg

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Interesting read, thanks for the share.

We're so used to measuring the inputs, and expecting to be paid for those inputs.

"I put 10 hours in, that should be worth $500."

"I bought it for $20 and the handling was about $5. Let's mark it up and sell it for $35."

That's a poor way to price.

The market might not value your output as highly as you want it to based on your costs (aka being unprofitable.)

The market might also value your output a lot higher than you'd think based on your inputs (aka leaving money on the table).

If you're in B2B then your output is part of their input - it's part of their value-chain.

Find out how much your output is worth to others, and charge accordingly.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking the value of your output is based on how many hours you put in, how hard you worked, or how busy you were.

"You can't invoice for input." (Blaise Brosnan)

(That Blaise dude is a smart guy...)

Favorite quote by Musk: "You get paid in direct proportion to the difficulty of problems you solve."

There was another one, forgot who said it: "You need to be fired before you can hire."

I took a position at a company a few years back, and it was nuts how often I was just dragging out tasks to fill out the day. It didn't help that I automated half of the responsibilities, but that didn't matter to the manager. Work = productivity to them.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Favorite quote by Musk: "You get paid in direct proportion to the difficulty of problems you solve."

There was another one, forgot who said it: "You need to be fired before you can hire."

I took a position at a company a few years back, and it was nuts how often I was just dragging out tasks to fill out the day. It didn't help that I automated half of the responsibilities, but that didn't matter to the manager. Work = productivity to them.
Yes, in a job we're often measured by the hours we put in, or how busy we are. No wonder people have a tough time jumping from a j.o.b to working for themselves.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Truly software development is a field which encompasses this attitude more noticeably than others. All that matters is what you produce. No user cares or knows what tech stack you made it with. They don't care how long you spent on it, only that it's fast and friendly. All they see is an interface.

On a slight sidenote, exposure to Heroku was the first time I ever heard of a Platform as a Service. Here is a business model that sells automation of tedious tasks, such as setting up a web application for production use, and it was an absolute beast at the time (2013 or so -- now AWS is king). They used their engineering resources to sell shovels, so to speak. Why risk building an application that may or may not pickup and eventually make money, when you know everyone and their mother is going to try to do the same?

PS: Andy, I just read the 3 quotes in your signature in succession outloud. I now suspect the order is no coincidence =)

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Truly software development is a field which encompasses this attitude more noticeably than others. All that matters is what you produce. No user cares or knows what tech stack you made it with. They don't care how long you spent on it, only that it's fast and friendly. All they see is an interface.

On a slight sidenote, exposure to Heroku was the first time I ever heard of a Platform as a Service. Here is a business model that sells automation of tedious tasks, such as setting up a web application for production use, and it was an absolute beast at the time (2013 or so -- now AWS is king). They used their engineering resources to sell shovels, so to speak. Why risk building an application that may or may not pickup and eventually make money, when you know everyone and their mother is going to try to do the same?

PS: Andy, I just read the 3 quotes in your signature in succession outloud. I now suspect the order is no coincidence =)
Yes, the 3 quotes in my signature are in a certain order. To me they say this:

Help someone close to you. Have faith, the money will follow. Start now.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The work isn't hard, the war in my mind is.
Love this.

The subtitle to Blaise's third book?

"Win the debate in your own head."​

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I read the OP article and then found the powerpoint from Netflix. That was an excellent read. I'm keeping a copy of that ppt for future review. Thanks!

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I read the OP article and then found the powerpoint from Netflix. That was an excellent read. I'm keeping a copy of that ppt for future review. Thanks!
Found PPT too and will read it tomorrow. Article is great. Worthy read.

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
I love the premise of the thread but did anybody actually read the article? Seems to me that are bragging about firing people. F that, companies that run like that are the lowest of the low IMO

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

I see what you are doing there, Musk!
No wonder he wants to go to Mars!!!!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
http://www.npr.org/2015/09/03/43729...innovative-culture-lost-her-job-to-the-system

Tldr
  • Do whatever you want as long as you produce
  • Pay your people well and let them create systems to make themselves redundant
No wonder netflix is a success!

And you know what?
I really want to develop such a system like that for my Fastlane mechanisms!
A system that rewards output rather than time spent!
I like Netflix's style!
Wastage cut down, no wagonhoppers, no slackers!
I like the team-sport concept....too many businesses try to be friendly-friendly when the truth is, the market doesn't care, and it wants solutions now!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.