The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
I've used Camtasia on my PC. It was simple enough and a lot of people swear by it.

I recently used that www.evaer.com to record a Skype screenshare where I looked over someone's shoulder at their AdWords account. I'll import it into Camtasia and edit it and let you know how it turns out (or you can see for yourself if I drop it into the forum).

Talking to yourself doesn't quite have the same dynamic as talking to someone else I find. More for the mindset of you, the person presenting.
If you ever heard bill burr on a podcast he does a pretty good job just rambling HA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
BUT they almost always need to get multiple meetings and approval for any purchase, just like government bodies.

Good point. Try and avoid any company that will need a meeting to decide on things. You want one boss or maybe partners.
Family owned businesses are a little different but usually good to work for.

A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then quietly strangled
Sir Barnett Cocks

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Larger deals in general have a long sales cycle. But they are in many ways an easier sell because if you deal with price sensitive people no matter the industry, you get higher churn rate, higher returns, higher nickpicking and handholding. god couldnt tell you some of the assholes i dealt with selling a $19 plan (on sale as a test for data from my company for a limited time). The $5k or $15k deals weren't as troublesome. But they did take longer. And once you start getting past $10k, you may find that you're dealing with budgets that are set and structured and possibly partners or board that have to decide on things.

Also for anyone wondering just throwing it out there, nonprofits have no money. Well, they say they have no money always but they do have a fixed budget. it's sometimes bigger than you think .. BUT they almost always need to get multiple meetings and approval for any purchase, just like government bodies.

Yes, thanks for the caveats.

In my space, I'm dealing with small companies of at most 10-50 people. Typically there is only one or two decision makers.

I fully expect that if I were selling to enterprise level clients, the process would be longer with more moving parts. I don't expect that it will be any more difficult - in the sense of encountering stronger objections - just longer.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

In my space, I'm dealing with small companies of at most 10-50 people. Typically there is only one or two decision makers.

I fully expect that if I were selling to enterprise level clients, the process would be longer with more moving parts. I don't expect that it will be any more difficult - in the sense of encountering stronger objections - just longer.
I won't touch enterprise level clients anymore. They constantly remind me of why I left the enterprise level workplaces years ago.

I would much rather deal with business owners than employees.

For me, I'm going *down* the food chain rather than up. Most of the reasoning is in the call with Lex, but one I neglected to mention is that I have a stronger affinity to the one-man band or someone near the start of their journey. (Not people who haven't started btw... help the people in motion).

Wanting to help the smaller guy could be my Achilles heel, but at least I can choose eh? :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
so ... much ... gold....

I'm doing something parallel, which is boot strapping an AdWords agency for a single class of verticals.

Everything Fox is saying is spot on here. His coaching clients will do well if they just follow instructions and push the flag forward every day.

One thing I would add, that I don't know if I've seen here, is that closing larger deals is no more difficult than closing smaller deals.

I just closed my first $2,500/mo deal, when the previous deals were around $400 / mo. It was no more difficult to do the sale, but is 6x more profitable. It has allowed me to hire my first employee who can start taking some of the delivery off my hands, while I focus on developing systems and selling.

Time to a) deliver to the new big client and b) go forth and get 10 more just like him.

Never again will I work for peanuts.

Thanks @Fox - you're an inspiration to many on the forum.
Very clever. Stick to one vertical and leverage what you've learned.

Always think: "How many times can I sell this widget?"

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia

There are two types of enterprises, first is steadily declining (150 layers of management, primary decision maker is on vacation on Bahamas 10 months out of 12), second one is steadily growing (few decision makers who need 10 minutes on the phone to talk with others, each can be reached within 10 minutes directly).
I deal with both and as long as I can contact a primary decision maker - closing is a matter of 2 handshakes.

I think the best advice I can give to anyone dealing with bigger kinds of companies is not to play their game by their rules. They are ineffective because they operate that way.
Your goal is to reach a person who wants results, take their hand and let them emerge as fast as possible.

Last edited:

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
How long have you had that domain and have you been doing any bulk emailing from it?

It's possible it's blacklisted for some reason.

Don't know much about the GoDaddy service specifically.

I would avoid using a personal email if you can. We get sales emails a lot and as soon as I see someone trying to sell web related services from a gmail/hotmail/whatever account, it's a major red flag for me.

I've had the domain for less than 2 weeks now, and sent less than 20 or so emails. So I hardly think I could have been blacklisted myself that quickly. Probably the server I'm on that's ruining things. It looks like only some email boxes flag it as spam, such as hotmail/live. Gmail or other email providers seem to put it in the regular inbox.

I sometimes (50/50) contact companies off my personal email. Especially if its a referral.
Seems to get a better response.
I think presenting yourself as a person is better then a company.

Makes sense. My "company" email and site is focused completely on myself though, to give it the personal touch, like you mentioned.

So far I'm not having much success landing new clients. I mentioned the active YouTube friend a few days ago; that's the only client I have but we're not meeting until somewhere in November (also, that one is for free).
Hopefully one of the 10 companies I mailed will respond, as I'm about to do my 5th free site and honestly all of their sites suck but no-one seems to have interest lol.
I noticed you recommend starting with small low paying website jobs on Upwork, though you don't seem quite fond of it because of the nitpicking. Should I still give it a shot?

Like you said in a post above somewhere, you prefer to work on sites for clients to get paid instead of work on your own, lol. Time to get paid for my work

Manumusashi

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 27, 2016
London, UK
Wow. This is an incredible thread guys.

There is just too much value here!

I wish I spotted the mentorship program sooner dammit...

Ah well. Hopefully there will be another one coming up soon, and until then, I'll be building up my coding skills!

Thanks again for all the input people!

Much appreciated.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So far I'm not having much success landing new clients. I mentioned the active YouTube friend a few days ago; that's the only client I have but we're not meeting until somewhere in November (also, that one is for free).
Hopefully one of the 10 companies I mailed will respond, as I'm about to do my 5th free site and honestly all of their sites suck but no-one seems to have interest lol.
I noticed you recommend starting with small low paying website jobs on Upwork, though you don't seem quite fond of it because of the nitpicking. Should I still give it a shot?

Like you said in a post above somewhere, you prefer to work on sites for clients to get paid instead of work on your own, lol. Time to get paid for my work

Are you giving them a "reply by" date?

Do you tell them you'll follow up with a phone call on X date? (And do it)

If you've done 5 free jobs, stop doing free jobs. You need to start figuring out how to get responses and results.

I'm coming in on the end of this, so not sure if you already asked for referrals. If you didn't, do it, and reach out to anyone they suggest even if they don't personally refer you and introduce you.

If they're not responding to your emails they either aren't getting seen or don't create value. PM me something you send them if you want and I'll take a look and see what you could adjust.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've had the domain for less than 2 weeks now, and sent less than 20 or so emails. So I hardly think I could have been blacklisted myself that quickly. Probably the server I'm on that's ruining things. It looks like only some email boxes flag it as spam, such as hotmail/live. Gmail or other email providers seem to put it in the regular inbox.

Makes sense. My "company" email and site is focused completely on myself though, to give it the personal touch, like you mentioned.

Have you looked closer to home? Often what we're looking for is right under our nose.

Family, friends, people you used to know, business owners you meet day-to-day.

There's so many ways to get clients.

Maybe watch this:

Last edited by a moderator:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I missed this since I was jumping on a Skype earlier.

Only do free jobs if they make sense. The idea is you are trying to fast track being a "high end" web company.
Instead of working your way in to an industry for months you do one or two for free and then use those as portfolio pieces to land the rest for real money.

It is easier to explain this talking but the idea is if you want to do high end engineering jobs it might take a long time to build a portfolio to convince one to take you on as a paying job. BUT* if you do one (or maybe two) for free you can "break into" that industry with instant credibility.

There are two times you can use free sites and have it make sense. The above example and also when you first start and you kind of suck at website design. If you are just getting going you want to practice for me. This is more training then it is actual work anyway.

If you have done 5 - stop. Something is wrong.

Are your websites good?
If you showed someone your website what price do they think a company paid for it?
When you show other companies your websites what are the reactions?

Depending on the feedback it could be your sales skills or it could be your design. I don't know.

If they say it looks cheap - your design. If they say it looks great but you can't get them to buy one off you - client selection and sales.

You are looking for companies that are getting killed online, losing money by the second. They should be paying. Again the only reason to do free websites after you know how to do websites is to dramatically step up your client list without having the prior portfolio to get a job.

Also side note - don't build over 4/6 page websites for free. You are just trying to link your name with the companies name through a great website. A 3 page website does this 90% as well as a 30 page website. You are only going to lose time and burn yourself out.

Let me know if any of this isn't clear/ I don't want people getting taken advantage off.

Richy Rich

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Sep 29, 2016
Thanks for the amazing thread Fox!

I've been thinking of doing something like this, not so much for the income but more so as part of a networking strategy. The general idea is I offer to design simple 1-2 page Wordpress sites for local businesses. I would offer them for free or low cost. The purpose being to offer enormous value, build relationships with local businesses and hopefully get referrals for other marketing services I plan on offering later. It will also help me get some experience finding clients.

I've already reached out to a few businesses. So far I've found a local restaurant and a few personal trainers who are interested.

For the restaurant website, I imagine the most important elements would be:
- a prominently displayed call to action, phone number and address.
- high quality and appealing photos of their food and restaurant interior
- a menu on the website (not a PDF)
- about us page
- social proof - reviews and links to their social media
- a mobile responsive page with phone number and address prominently displayed (considering many users would already be out and looking for a restaurant nearby on their mobile)

For the personal trainer business:
-a prominently displayed call to action - 'book a session' or 'contact me'...
-clearly displaying their specialties
-prominently displayed phone number, location and email
-establishing authority - clearly displaying their qualifications or industry associations they belong to, also through their trainer bio/about us page
-social proof - testimonials, before & after photos and links to their social media

Is there anything I'm forgetting? Open to any suggestions!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I've been thinking of doing something like this, not so much for the income but more so as part of a networking strategy.

Personally I don't like to do business with people for free. Either - people doing free things for me or me doing free work for them.
I am talking business, not this forum or family or friends.
I recommend it only as a temporary move to gain access to niches that would take a long time to gain ground in otherwise. There is balance in that equation since you are getting value (portfolio) in return for the work. The client can see that and they are happy the deal is "closed".

Free business for networking raises a lot of questions for your client...

- What will he really want in return?
- What if I need support or changes?
- What if I don't like it? (But its free!)
- Who owns this?

And lots more

You will limit the type of deals you make, the effort you put in, the level of people you will be able to work with, and ultimately the value you offer a business.

Now if you are running a business well and you want to make a free website for a charity or a local family run business as a one off thats different. But as an ongoing strategy I think there would be huge issues. I am basing this a lot on the Law Of Reciprocity...

Persuasion by reciprocation is based on the law of reciprocity. It’s considered by many to be the most powerful law of human nature. Basically, it states that,

“If you do something nice for me I’ll do something nice for you. I feel obligated to reciprocate.”

For example, if we go out to lunch and I pick up the bill, you almost always offer to pay for it next time. Next time we go out to lunch, you insist on paying for the bill.

There are different types of reciprocation which I will explain below.

You are putting a lot of mental strain on your client to somehow pay you back. I think a much cleaner deal is to charge money and close the loop. You can still network, you will still develop business and it offers a lot more value to everyone involved.

There is no shortage of money. For you or your client. Don't be afraid to charge for websites, its helps there business more than it does yours (I hope).

.B.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Jun 18, 2016
Belgium, Europe
Side note for those who, like me, are starting to learn web coding :
The guy who made the Udemy HTML5 & CSS3 course that @Fox recommended has just released a JavaScript course.

I think it is worth mentioning here too, because I find that that guy has a very practical way of teaching useful stuffs. At least compared to the HTML course on Lynda that I started and was too academic for me.

I understand that knowing JavaScript is not needed to be able to deliver a valuable website to a client. Nevertheless it is said to complement well HTML&CSS skills for front end web development. And it can also be used for back-end.

His early-access launch is at 25$ instead of 195$ (offer valid till 27/10).
As mentioned in this thread, there will certainly be other promo codes to be found on the internet later.

Here is the early-access link he sent:
https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-javascript-course/?couponCode=EARLYBIRD2525&password=EARLYACCESS

Richy Rich

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Sep 29, 2016
Personally I don't like to do business with people for free. Either - people doing free things for me or me doing free work for them.
I am talking business, not this forum or family or friends.
I recommend it only as a temporary move to gain access to niches that would take a long time to gain ground in otherwise. There is balance in that equation since you are getting value (portfolio) in return for the work. The client can see that and they are happy the deal is "closed".

Thanks for the response Fox. Good points, I agree it wouldn't be a good ongoing strategy offering free websites ongoing. I would probably only do the first few for free then start charging for my services.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Are you giving them a "reply by" date?

Do you tell them you'll follow up with a phone call on X date? (And do it)

If you've done 5 free jobs, stop doing free jobs. You need to start figuring out how to get responses and results.

I'm coming in on the end of this, so not sure if you already asked for referrals. If you didn't, do it, and reach out to anyone they suggest even if they don't personally refer you and introduce you.

If they're not responding to your emails they either aren't getting seen or don't create value. PM me something you send them if you want and I'll take a look and see what you could adjust.

Totally did not think of those points. Thanks, I'll make sure I add in a scarcity factor / time limit. The companies are all locals and close to my home, so perhaps I'll just stop by. See below for details on the free sites.

Have you looked closer to home? Often what we're looking for is right under our nose.

Family, friends, people you used to know, business owners you meet day-to-day.

There's so many ways to get clients.

Maybe watch this:

Thanks Andy. The companies I contacted are all within a 5 KM range from my home, which I found via Google.

I missed this since I was jumping on a Skype earlier.

Only do free jobs if they make sense. The idea is you are trying to fast track being a "high end" web company.
Instead of working your way in to an industry for months you do one or two for free and then use those as portfolio pieces to land the rest for real money.

It is easier to explain this talking but the idea is if you want to do high end engineering jobs it might take a long time to build a portfolio to convince one to take you on as a paying job. BUT* if you do one (or maybe two) for free you can "break into" that industry with instant credibility.

There are two times you can use free sites and have it make sense. The above example and also when you first start and you kind of suck at website design. If you are just getting going you want to practice for me. This is more training then it is actual work anyway.

If you have done 5 - stop. Something is wrong.
Some more details on this; the first 2 sites I did were my own (a webshop and my portfolio site).
The third was my first free website for a restaurant which has yet to be launched due to payment issues on their side (registering the domain). The 4th was a website I made for a company I used to work for and pitched it to them. Roughly translated, this was his reply:
"Not really impressed, I think it's a bit too playful. At some point I want to have a 'corporate identity' designed along with a logo etc."
When I asked for specifics or what he DID like/would like to see, I got ignored.
I've added the site to my portfolio site anyways, so that makes it the 4th free site.
After this I customized a template for a construction company (the companies I emailed) and used it to "pitch" them via email. 0 responses.
My main guess is that my emails end up in Spam so they don't read them, however I haven't been pushing hard enough on a CTA after reading the tips from Lex.

My next site will be the high traffic one for my friend who has a big YouTube audience.

Are your websites good?
If you showed someone your website what price do they think a company paid for it?
When you show other companies your websites what are the reactions?

Depending on the feedback it could be your sales skills or it could be your design. I don't know.

If they say it looks cheap - your design. If they say it looks great but you can't get them to buy one off you - client selection and sales.

Since I have not completed any real projects as of yet, I haven't received much feedback. The restaurant website "looked good" according to the owners, however they're Chinese and wouldn't dare say something negative lol.
Regarding the above website which got denied, I didn't want to put more time in looking for a different template since I got 0 feedback regarding what that guy actually wanted.
I offered a website, logo, etc, and get 0 in return. I'd be happy to help him get what he wants, but if he doesn't respond I guess that's that.

You are looking for companies that are getting killed online, losing money by the second. They should be paying. Again the only reason to do free websites after you know how to do websites is to dramatically step up your client list without having the prior portfolio to get a job.

Also side note - don't build over 4/6 page websites for free. You are just trying to link your name with the companies name through a great website. A 3 page website does this 90% as well as a 30 page website. You are only going to lose time and burn yourself out.

Let me know if any of this isn't clear/ I don't want people getting taken advantage off.

Thanks Fox. Most sites were 1 page, 1 was 3 pages.
I'm just having trouble starting off finding a paying client.

I guess I also feel like my sites are fine, but not worth a few hundred or thousand bucks. Maybe it's a lack of confidence.
Heres the sites I did so far;
portfolio: http://www.onlinemetjan.nl (sites are Dutch so bare with me)
construction: http://www.onlinemetjan.nl/wip/aannemer
(haven't completely finished this one but decided to use it in a pitch as is) still want to sort out the images but quickly added them in

Would love some feedback.

P.s. All of these are based on free templates.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Totally did not think of those points. Thanks, I'll make sure I add in a scarcity factor / time limit. The companies are all locals and close to my home, so perhaps I'll just stop by. See below for details on the free sites.

Thanks Andy. The companies I contacted are all within a 5 KM range from my home, which I found via Google.

Some more details on this; the first 2 sites I did were my own (a webshop and my portfolio site).
The third was my first free website for a restaurant which has yet to be launched due to payment issues on their side (registering the domain). The 4th was a website I made for a company I used to work for and pitched it to them. Roughly translated, this was his reply:
"Not really impressed, I think it's a bit too playful. At some point I want to have a 'corporate identity' designed along with a logo etc."
When I asked for specifics or what he DID like/would like to see, I got ignored.
I've added the site to my portfolio site anyways, so that makes it the 4th free site.
After this I customized a template for a construction company (the companies I emailed) and used it to "pitch" them via email. 0 responses.
My main guess is that my emails end up in Spam so they don't read them, however I haven't been pushing hard enough on a CTA after reading the tips from Lex.

My next site will be the high traffic one for my friend who has a big YouTube audience.

Since I have not completed any real projects as of yet, I haven't received much feedback. The restaurant website "looked good" according to the owners, however they're Chinese and wouldn't dare say something negative lol.
Regarding the above website which got denied, I didn't want to put more time in looking for a different template since I got 0 feedback regarding what that guy actually wanted.
I offered a website, logo, etc, and get 0 in return. I'd be happy to help him get what he wants, but if he doesn't respond I guess that's that.

Thanks Fox. Most sites were 1 page, 1 was 3 pages.
I'm just having trouble starting off finding a paying client.

I guess I also feel like my sites are fine, but not worth a few hundred or thousand bucks. Maybe it's a lack of confidence.
Heres the sites I did so far;

Would love some feedback.

P.s. All of these are based on free templates.
(Haven't look at the sites.)

These companies are within 5km of you. Have you rung them or popped in to have a chat with them?

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
(Haven't look at the sites.)

These companies are within 5km of you. Have you rung them or popped in to have a chat with them?
Negative, they are "construction"/contractor companies, very small, so most don't have an office. Perhaps a wrong or difficult customer to be targeting.
I will follow up on them tomorrow, that'll make it 2 full days after the mails.
Thanks.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Negative, they are "construction"/contractor companies, very small, so most don't have an office. Perhaps a wrong or difficult customer to be targeting.
I will follow up on them tomorrow, that'll make it 2 full days after the mails.
Thanks.
Try ringing them (now). Construction/contractors are well used to the phone. Emails less so.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Try ringing them (now). Construction/contractors are well used to the phone. Emails less so.

Just called every company I emailed. Unable to reach 3 and 1 where the person responsible/handling emails wasn't in the office.
The other 6 got my mails just fine. They weren't interested, were working on their site themselves (lol right) or someone else was still finishing up. 1 even said he thought my tips for his site were insulting, since his daughter built it lol. I'll definitely rewrite my letter though.

Funny how someone with a site like this says he doesn't think it needs improvement:
f6565a7a64.jpg

So, no issues sending emails apart from sending to Hotmail/Live accounts.

I think the lesson here is to find companies to target that are already spending/losing money on advertisements and poor Google ranking instead of randomly picking companies (which is what I did).

Sorry for the derail

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Someone in the last page mentioned a Udemy course on javascript, and it triggered my memory.

Right when I got laid off, I thought I wanted to do software development. Compelling arguments made here on the forum convinced me it wasn't a great idea, so I abandoned it.

The resource I used, and I still think is valuable for those looking to do more development than design, is free code camp.

it's a self guided code camp with a boat load of material, and a big support ecosystem (kind of like what we have here). When I was going through it, it culminated in doing some free work for non profits making full stack apps for them. Point being that it gave you some sort of real world experience you could use on a resume, and get a job with the experience.

If you are looking to learn javascript, and its litany of frameworks, feel free to check it out. It's a great resource.

www.freecodecamp.com

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just called every company I emailed. Unable to reach 3 and 1 where the person responsible/handling emails wasn't in the office.
The other 6 got my mails just fine. They weren't interested, were working on their site themselves (lol right) or someone else was still finishing up. 1 even said he thought my tips for his site were insulting, since his daughter built it lol. I'll definitely rewrite my letter though.

Funny how someone with a site like this says he doesn't think it needs improvement:
f6565a7a64.jpg

I think the lesson here is to find companies to target that are already spending/losing money on advertisements and poor Google ranking instead of randomly picking companies (which is what I did).

Sorry for the derail

Now you know some common objections. Gotta craft your pitch around them. You need qualifying questions too. Questions can crack the ice so you can get them talking about their pains. Open a dialogue with them and figure out where they're stuck and where they want to be. Really there's not much selling. Just show them some of how you would solve the problem and get them where they want to go. After that if they make excuses, you don't want them anyway so no need to hard sell or anything like that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

f6565a7a64.jpg

Sorry for the derail
Good. You don't learn unless you engage. Sending an email doesn't tell you as much.

I spoke to a client this morning saying I was going to try and improve his landing page. "Don't do that Andy! Everyone who rings likes the page."

Err... of course they like the page. That's why they rang.

No-one is going to engage and say you did a bad job with the website are they? Those are the people who you DON'T get to speak to.

Find out why it's NOT working.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Good. You don't learn unless you engage. Sending an email doesn't tell you as much.

I spoke to a client this morning saying I was going to try and improve his landing page. "Don't do that Andy! Everyone who rings likes the page."

Err... course they like the page. That's why they rang.

What caused the ones who didn't ring to NOT ring?

Make sense?
Why it's so hard to realize on their own ffs!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why it's so hard to realize on their own ffs!
Therein lies our opportunity.

Guys... get on the phone. Speak to people. Get out from behind your screen, get out of the building, and *engage*.

I guess a lot of people attracted to programming and graphic design are introverted in nature. I get it.

I also get it that if you don't start talking to people then you'll leave it to someone else to do, and they'll be the one making the coin.

Consider that building a business is all about building relationships, and then consider whether just sending emails will cut the mustard.

As @Fox says throughout this thread - it's not about technical skills, it's about being able to add value, and get paid for it (aka selling.)

The more uncomfortable you are picking up the phone, then the more likely it will help your business to do so.

The beauty of web design is it's a B2B service. Get speaking to business owners and "level up". No masterminds, mentors, "accountability", or networking needed.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
LOL I find it funny how bad many local businesses are when it comes to common sense in terms of marketing (websites are obviously a very important part of marketing in today's age).
Most of them also don't have an USP, they are just another small business with shitty marketing... and yet they manage to keep their doors open year after year.

I think one of the best things to do (because of overall so weak competition) at the moment is to ether learn a craft like roofing etc. + of course marketing / fastlane principles and crush pretty much any local market you enter or partner up with someone that is very good at the craft and manage the marketing side of the biz.
While the competition online seems to get better and better at an ever increasing rate local markets seem to be so slow moving it isn't even funny.

BTW @IceCreamKid is the perfect example. He is a great marketer that bought a local biz that was in trouble, and made it very successful.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
https://www.reddit.com/r/Entreprene...d_calls_i_went_from_nothing_to_120kyear_solo/

I thought this thread would be helpful here. Note that they had a success rate of 2.5 website sales for every 100 hundred calls, just to show the numbers involved when cold calling.
I suck at cold calling, so I end up doing a lot more in person meetings. I've ended up hiring for cold calling and it's worked out pretty well so far.

Might revisit my guy with the ideas and scripts in that link. Thank you.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
The only thing is cold calling has a really high turnover, it's not easy to keep staff if you decide to scale. And if you cant do it forever, it's a good jumping off point. Cold calling is not the end of the world but if you do it as the main method of gaining business you will burn out.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
The only thing is cold calling has a really high turnover, it's not easy to keep staff if you decide to scale. And if you cant do it forever, it's a good jumping off point. Cold calling is not the end of the world but if you do it as the main method of gaining business you will burn out.
Now that sounds like a nice problem that one could solve for (small) web developers / digital marketing agencies.
Cold Calling as a service.
Customers can choose how many cold calls they want you to make per month depending on how much customers they can service at any given time and
you bill the customers $x per call.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.