The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Thank you @Fox for this incredible amount of value.
You've sparked my interest in looking into this again.
I have some basic coding/website knowledge, since I've studied IT, and have a few clients on the top of my head who could use a website (improvement).
(My former boss actually doesn't even have a website for his restaurant.. lol)

You said you don't work with WordPress and the likes; Do you choose regular (HTML) templates and just customize them?
For the restaurant example I imagine getting a ton of stock photo's for the food, or manually making them myself if need be.
Do you show the clients a few template options and then go from there? Or do you choose one for them, based on their wants etc?

Keep up the good work!

Blackthumbum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Aug 19, 2016
It has taken me a long time to have time to create this thread and for that I apologize. I have been getting PMs for months and while I helped a lot of you out with detailed responses I wanted to start a thread so everyone would have access to the same information.

*** This isn't exact Fastlane, at least not in the beginning, but its a great way to earn 5 figures a month, learn the skills to create and run your own FL business while building a network of top business people***

Back at the beginning of the year I packed up everything I owned in Canada and moved to South America. I was keen to make enough income to stay down there while also building my own Fastlane business. Problem was I had no online skills, no idea what to do and have never ran a successful business before.

I just launched my business last week and I am still down here living happily so I guess I could say things have gone very well. Hopefully this information helps others achieve similar success and allows them to start pursuing their dreams.

So first things first:

- I started with zero coding knowledge in January of this year. I didn't know how to host a website, I didn't know what HTML or CSS was, I made a tonne of really basic mistakes and figured it all out by myself. I didn't take any expensive courses, had no mentors and probably only spent a few hundred dollars getting set up.

It took me a while to refine my niche but what I now focus on is building simple yet powerful websites that get huge results. No crazy interactive code, no fancy graphics, just simple, clean, professional websites that add huge value to the clients who hire me.

In the last few months I have
- built a website that landed a $1 million pus contract for the guys who hired me (they hadn't worked in over 8 months - oil company)
- built a website that helped get a pro athlete into a world tournament and increased pay from his sponsors (social media profile increase)
- Built a website that has a lawyer making over 1k a week on consultations

While I made good money on these websites its nice to know that the value I added is many times more and all my clients have been very satisfied.

I am still in the early stages of figuring this all out though so as this thread goes along I will still update with what I am learning and what has changed. Right now my problem is scaling, I need more top sales people on the ground selling websites for me. I will come back to this in another post maybe.

So how to begin:

So todays lesson is on how to get started at the very start. You know nothing and you want to get in on this action too. Some quick notes - I build "custom" HTML websites 99% of the time, I don't use wordpress except in some rare cases for add on blog/news sections to my sites. Why? Most of my clients are very busy, non tech people. They don't want or have time to update their websites. They want it built well and they want it to run itself. HTML is a lot better for this and when done right looks way more professional.

How to begin with HTML:

Take the HTML and CSS lessons on https://www.codecademy.com/.

You can also do the JS section but I didn't and have been just fine.

Next take the following UDEMY course:

https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

https://themeforest.net/item/foundry-multipurpose-html-variant-page-builder/11562108?s_rank=9

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

So how do you build a website that gets great results?

Good question.

As @Andy Black would say you want sales not a website. I am going to meet him half way with you want to build a website that gets sales. Not a website that looks amazing, has cool videos and sections, talks about the companies recent gold tournament or how they really wanted to do X since they were 5. Now it might do one or all of these things but only IF it helps gets sales.

Every page, link, click and action on the website is to help facilitate the growth of the company and sales.

Lets take for example an immigration lawyer website...

Is the goal of the site to teach you about immigration law?
Is it to show you stats of work, trade and education within the country?
Is it to teach you about what to do when you first arrive, what to pack, what to expect?

No.

The whole purpose of that website is for the user to either book a consultation or contact them regarding their services. Which both lead to that person hiring them as their immigration lawyer.

Now it might use some of the above to help with that goal but it only has one main purpose. Everything we do for that client must help with that goal or if it doesn't help... be removed.

You are going to learn to take the value of threads of here regarding copywriting, sales and the Fastlane Mindset and apply it other peoples businesses to help them achieve massive results. This just happens to take the form of a website. You are really selling sales and results.

Once you sell results there is no limit to what you can charge and achieve.

If you have read all this and want to start follow the above links, compete them fully and then follow along with the next stages. There will be a lot to cover but I will outline everything you need to know to be making over $10,000 a month with 6 months*.

*Assumes actual work ethic, being able to do some learning by yourself and filling in the gaps. I will give advice but I won't be holding anyones hand step-by-step.

Next lesson... Client selection.
Hey man first off I love this post it's gold, I have been dabbling in Web Development for over a year I just felt like I couldn't actually get a job with my skills. My main problem is finish a project I get an idea and just get lost and all the small details weeks later I'm left with a half finished website and no motivation to complete it. After reading this post I'm gonna work on my discipline to actually finish and get a few sites under my belt, also have you ever used bootstrap? I find it helps me build a decent site without too much work I'm thinking of going that route and using bootstrap to make most of my sites.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
Web design is an easy side hustle for copywriter guys. I see myself as a combination of both with a lean towards web design. It makes up a decent portion of any website and the rest is just design and coding basics.

Try partner up with someone on this thread who might be decent at web design but not great at copy. I don't need a copy guy but there will be someone here who does. Or just do both yourself.
I love this idea. I'm a copywriter and have earned a full time income off it for almost a full year now. I'd love to get in touch with a web designer. Anyone on here that's a web designer and needs help copywriting, message me on here if partnering up interests you.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Just a reminder to people: this isn't that easy.

Keeping people month after month requires that you instill confidence in the process with every meeting, especially if you're in the lead gen/biz dev space.

People will care about how they feel about working with you, more than their results. Seriously. I keep on learning this.

Competence is key, but it's actually the bare minimum requirement. You gotta make them FEEL like working with you is the best decision they've ever made. Otherwise, they're going to treat you like a one-off, whether you're a single person or a big agency with hundreds of employees. (I feel like agencies fail at this more than freelancers do, to be honest)

Most people see websites (and web marketing) as a line item expense, rather than a revenue-generating tool. Even if they have websites that generate revenue, they figure that any old website will work so long as it looks good and it has functional forms. They see online ads as part of their marketing budget. If their business is profitable overall, they'll keep running them.

Most businesses aren't as analytical as a lot of us are, looking at how each click results in revenue. They're not interested in EPCs or CPAs; they're interested in revenue minus COGS minus ad expenses.

Knowing this, you can be an excellent salesman and close nearly all of your meetings... and still be unable to control whether or not they stay with you.

I realized this last night when I saw how many people dropped off (nearly all of them!) and how this has affected my income. In some cases, I screwed up. In most cases, I delivered the results as promised and yet they still moved on and wanted nothing to do with other things I've offered. Some quit the project even when my numbers indicated that they were profitable.

Emotions management, I've discovered, is one of the biggest parts of my job.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Just a reminder to people: this isn't that easy.

Keeping people month after month requires that you instill confidence in the process with every meeting, especially if you're in the lead gen/biz dev space.

People will care about how they feel about working with you, more than their results. Seriously. I keep on learning this.

Competence is key, but it's actually the bare minimum requirement. You gotta make them FEEL like working with you is the best decision they've ever made. Otherwise, they're going to treat you like a one-off, whether you're a single person or a big agency with hundreds of employees. (I feel like agencies fail at this more than freelancers do, to be honest)

Most people see websites (and web marketing) as a line item expense, rather than a revenue-generating tool. Even if they have websites that generate revenue, they figure that any old website will work so long as it looks good and it has functional forms. They see online ads as part of their marketing budget. If their business is profitable overall, they'll keep running them.

Most businesses aren't as analytical as a lot of us are, looking at how each click results in revenue. They're not interested in EPCs or CPAs; they're interested in revenue minus COGS minus ad expenses.

Knowing this, you can be an excellent salesman and close nearly all of your meetings... and still be unable to control whether or not they stay with you.

I realized this last night when I saw how many people dropped off (nearly all of them!) and how this has affected my income. In some cases, I screwed up. In most cases, I delivered the results as promised and yet they still moved on and wanted nothing to do with other things I've offered. Some quit the project even when my numbers indicated that they were profitable.

Emotions management, I've discovered, is one of the biggest parts of my job.

How do you think you might offset this in the future? Is there something you could add to your service upfront to minimize losses? Anything you might add to your service contract (I assume you have one). Also assuming you have a contract, could you lock them into a longer period up front, say 6 months?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
How do you think you might offset this in the future? Is there something you could add to your service upfront to minimize losses? Anything you might add to your service contract (I assume you have one). Also assuming you have a contract, could you lock them into a longer period up front, say 6 months?
Be a go-to for people.
It's the only thing that you can effectively do to gaurantee ongoing relationships.
Everything else will result in exactly the opposite in long run.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Nothing changes the fact that once you have people locked in, your job becomes to keep yourself irreplaceable. They can always quit after the 6 months. Not only that, companies can breach contract and you have to decide whether or not you want to pursue it legally. If they're overseas, you're F*cked and there's nothing you can do about it (i am not a lawyer, but after speaking with people with experience in this kind of thing, that's the kind of answer I've been given).

I have only lost money on two jobs so far.

By the way, my payment structure is 20-30% upfront and the rest is paid along milestones of the project, determined by myself.

Be a go-to for people.
It's the only thing that you can effectively do to gaurantee ongoing relationships.
Everything else will result in exactly the opposite in long run.

If you're 'the guy' or 'the agency' that specializes in doing X, Y, and Z for ABC companies, people will stay with you... until they feel like they don't need your service anymore. How that is determined varies widely.

If you're not the go-to guy, people will hop between companies and find the one they want to stick with. It's actually not dependent on competency more than it is dependent on the relationship that you or your agency's rep has with the company.

Even if you're one of 10,000 companies that do the exact same thing, if the relationship + the value provided is worth more than the value that another company can provide, then they'll stick with you.

So you don't HAVE to be the go-to guy to fix this problem... and it's not a PROBLEM, guys, it's a CHALLENGE; emotions management, relationship management, whatever you wanna call it, is a FACT OF LIFE in b2b and you CANNOT and WILL NOT escape it. Even if you have sales reps, then that responsibility will fall on them and they can F*ck it up too.

tl;dr value exists in more than providing revenue: you could do everything right on the actual delivery of the job and yet you could still be dumped, even without being replaced. Don't forget that your customers are PEOPLE, not businesses.

This isn't a pessimistic view of B2B, either, it's actually quite optimistic. It means that if you provide an awesome experience and keep a strong and positive relationship with your clients, you can become their go-to guy even in a crowded niche. Just don't get so caught up with 'building stuff' that you forget what your two jobs are: 1) deliver results and 2) make your clients love working with you rather than dread it.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@The-J Are you referring more to ongoing contracts? Good posts but I am not fully understanding the context.

Most of my jobs are one offs although I treat everyone as a long term client. My reviews have been excellent and my referral rate as well.

@Andy Black Let me know when that mic is ready. I think we got a lot of stuff to cover!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Are you referring more to ongoing contracts? Good posts but I am not fully understanding the context.

Yes, sorry. I was saying in response to people talking about upselling to retainer type jobs. However this works in any long-term job: people will quit before everything is done and call it a sunk cost just because they don't wanna deal with it (read: YOU) anymore.

It also works when it comes to referrals for one-off jobs. If the experience of working with you is excellent, they'll be more likely to refer you.

We also gotta remember that we don't determine whether the experience was excellent: the client does. They could be happy and smiling on the Skype call and still think in their mind "man I wish I didn't have to deal with this headache".

I don't mean to make this thread complicated or deter people from doing it (it really shouldn't deter anyone because emotions/relationship management IS THE OPPORTUNITY) it's just to help people see what actually goes on as you get past the stage where you're prospecting all the time.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Very very true.

I have taken whole weekends off (round the clock) to fix hosting issues. I have left dates with my girl to return home to fix basic stuff. I am always on call for any small issue. Thats the price you pay if you want to be the best.

A HUGE way to get more jobs is to give exceptional service. I have written back detailed solutions within 2 minutes of a client emailing me. I have hosted them for free under my hosting if they wish. I always go the extra mile. People might think 15K a month is amazing but I earn it. I often feel like I undercharge.

The-J is on the money. This is a "last album" type gig where you are only as good as the last time they needed you.

JoeK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 30, 2016
Currently, I've built two websites for my businesses (just starting them out).

I use wordpress, specifically the DIVI theme. My hosting is ran through siteground.com, most of my research has led me to believe they are the best option for hosting wordpress sites.

The DIVI theme is great in that it is simple, effective, built in SEO, and allows you to customize your options and design.

This may seem like I'm asking for approval, but would there be any hindrance/disadvantages in using the Divi Theme and building such websites for clients?

EDIT: First post, but I've been researching around the forum for about a month before jumping into the discussion. I hope to learn a lot and hopefully share a lot with fellow members.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I use wordpress, specifically the DIVI theme. My hosting is ran through siteground.com, most of my research has led me to believe they are the best option for hosting wordpress sites.

The DIVI theme is great in that it is simple, effective, built in SEO, and allows you to customize your options and design.

This may seem like I'm asking for approval, but would there be any hindrance/disadvantages in using the Divi Theme and building such websites for clients?

EDIT: First post, but I've been researching around the forum for about a month before jumping into the discussion. I hope to learn a lot and hopefully share a lot with fellow members.

Welcome to the forum!

To be honest I have no idea. I don't do much with wordpress. If it works well for you though and you like the results you should be able to charge to help others with similar results. I know lots of companies that use only wordpress and do very well. I don't just cause I couldn't figure it out haha. I also really like HTML built sites. Use MJs advice on the last two pages and get started!

Side note I set a goal this year to reach over $15,000 in rep on this forum ( edit* I gave some away after this post). I know its only imaginary but I thought if I could reach that amount it would show I have given back and helped others out a bit. Nice to reach that goal early (I set it in March). I am glad this thread has given back a little for all the advice and motivation I have gotten out of this place. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

I've used Divi for a lot of websites. Overall I think it's really flexible, plus the price you pay includes a BUNCH of other free themes on top of Divi and for $30 bucks more you get all their plugins too. You can pretty much build anything on Divi and it's relatively easy to learn plus well-supported on the customer service side. It's a yearly fee, but considering what you get it's worth it. A LOT of developers use it now as a go-to theme for WordPress client sites.

JoeK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Aug 30, 2016
I've used Divi for a lot of websites. Overall I think it's really flexible, plus the price you pay includes a BUNCH of other free themes on top of Divi and for $30 bucks more you get all their plugins too. You can pretty much build anything on Divi and it's relatively easy to learn plus well-supported on the customer service side. It's a yearly fee, but considering what you get it's worth it. A LOT of developers use it now as a go-to theme for WordPress client sites.

Awesome! I went through elegantthemes.com and purchased their lifetime pass so I hopefully won't have to worry about paying for any other themes. I've yet to check out the other themes they offer, but from the demos, they're right up there with Divi.
I should download the additional $30 plugin, can you link it?
Also, with the new Divi update, I'm loving the real-time editor. It makes creating websites very easy.

I can design the website and create it, I'm just stuck on the "value-add" feature. I want to make them appear on Google and truly convert, this is an area I need to improve in.

Welcome to the forum!

To be honest I have no idea. I don't do much with wordpress. If it works well for you though and you like the results you should be able to charge to help others with similar results. I know lots of companies that use only wordpress and do very well. I don't just cause I couldn't figure it out haha. I also really like HTML built sites. Use MJs advice on the last two pages and get started!

Side note I set a goal this year to reach over $15,000 in rep on this forum ( edit* I gave some away after this post). I know its only imaginary but I thought if I could reach that amount it would show I have given back and helped others out a bit. Nice to reach that goal early (I set it in March). I am glad this thread has given back a little for all the advice and motivation I have gotten out of this place. Thanks everyone.

Thank you! Setting up reseller hosting is really easy through Siteground if you plan on using Wordpress haha
I still don't have any clients but I may do my friend's biz website for free so I can add it to my portfolio.

redthumb

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Aug 5, 2013
Texas
I

After this you will now know how to edit and work with HTML themes. What does that mean?

Well there is no point creating a website from scratch. That takes years of coding experience and a lot of time for each new clients. Luckily enough people have gone and created HTML themes - its an already coded website where you just rearrange, switch out the pictures and text and add in a few extra bits (I will show how to do all of this at a later stage).

An example of a theme is here...

https://themeforest.net/item/foundry-multipurpose-html-variant-page-builder/11562108?s_rank=9

It just a blank slate with a certain style that you work with. While this may seem like strange or cheating (I thought this was how to learn to build websites!??) its not. Anyone with an internet can create a website these days so that is not where we will be adding value. We add value by building a website with a purpose. We want to build websites that get results and make money, or whatever they are trying to achieve, for the owner.

Awesome thread Fox , I'm planning a trip to Bogota,Colombia in December with my girlfriend and would enjoy the chance to meet and too thank you for this thread and even practice your Spanish. I've followed your steps and I'm almost done with the udemy course, it's the Best 10$ bucks I've ever spent. This is my first time coding .I'm even planning to use the Omni website I created as part of my first portfolio to show clients. With some tweaks for practice of course. I have my eyes set on a few clients and will have an update within a week.

MY question is are you getting most of your templates from themeforest? Do you use a new one for each client or have a favorite you reuse?

Martinv678

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 6, 2013
This is an awesome thread. I would also say you should learn some kinda templating package like Handlebars and Node (and NPM) for the backend. Handlebars/Jade etc because they easily compile to HTML. This way if you have repeat code you can just drop in partials and it also means you don't have to learn PHP (I know people here will love it, but it's on its way out). If people want an easy boilerplate to start from I can throw mine up online that I use for projects which you can use and build from instantly. Literally create a file and a whole new page will be built.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Awesome thread Fox , I'm planning a trip to Bogota,Colombia in December with my girlfriend and would enjoy the chance to meet and too thank you for this thread and even practice your Spanish. I've followed your steps and I'm almost done with the udemy course, it's the Best 10$ bucks I've ever spent. This is my first time coding .I'm even planning to use the Omni website I created as part of my first portfolio to show clients. With some tweaks for practice of course. I have my eyes set on a few clients and will have an update within a week.

MY question is are you getting most of your templates from themeforest? Do you use a new one for each client or have a favorite you reuse?
I would recommend using something like Divi theme, its more of a builder that is very versatile and you can create anything you want with it, plus for 250$ you get a lifetime license and can reuse it as much as you want without having to pay for it for every website.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This is an awesome thread. I would also say you should learn some kinda templating package like Handlebars and Node (and NPM) for the backend. Handlebars/Jade etc because they easily compile to HTML. This way if you have repeat code you can just drop in partials and it also means you don't have to learn PHP (I know people here will love it, but it's on its way out). If people want an easy boilerplate to start from I can throw mine up online that I use for projects which you can use and build from instantly. Literally create a file and a whole new page will be built.

Can you explain that a bit more - Is that for HTML?

I have some sites up to 20 pages so for every page I add in I have to change the menu on all the other pages to include it. Can that resolve that issue?

Its probably the most annoying thing with HTML - changes to the menu or the footer.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Can you explain that a bit more - Is that for HTML?

I have some sites up to 20 pages so for every page I add in I have to change the menu on all the other pages to include it. Can that resolve that issue?

Its probably the most annoying thing with HTML - changes to the menu or the footer.
Current best practice is to use Javascript to inject html code. (don't use jquery solution)

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I would recommend using something like Divi theme, its more of a builder that is very versatile and you can create anything you want with it, plus for 250$ you get a lifetime license and can reuse it as much as you want without having to pay for it for every website.

I've seen people here on the forum talk about Beaver Builder as well.

Have you had any experience with it too?

I'm looking to buy a Wordpress theme and seem a bit confused. Some say to go with Divi, others with Beaver Builder.

I would love to hear your input

Last edited:

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Current best practice is to use Javascript to inject html code. (don't use jquery solution)
And the reason being? Just curious.

Best rated answer on your link is jQuery.
Code:
<html>
  <head>
    <script src="jquery.js"></script>
    <script>
    $(function(){
      $("#includedContent").load("b.html");
    });
    </script>
  </head>

<body>
     <div id="includedContent"></div>
  </body>
</html>

The JS version on that page is ugly af.

I do like this idea.

Code:
<script>
  $(function(){
    var includes = $('.include');
    jQuery.each(includes, function(){
      var file = 'views/' + $(this).data('include') + '.html';
      $(this).load(file);
    });
  });
</script>

I use jQuery all the time and with any decent hosting the load isn't an issue.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
And the reason being? Just curious.

Best rated answer on your link is jQuery.
Code:
<html>
  <head>
    <script src="jquery.js"></script>
    <script>
    $(function(){
      $("#includedContent").load("b.html");
    });
    </script>
  </head>

<body>
     <div id="includedContent"></div>
  </body>
</html>

The JS version on that page is ugly af.

I do like this idea.

Code:
<script>
  $(function(){
    var includes = $('.include');
    jQuery.each(includes, function(){
      var file = 'views/' + $(this).data('include') + '.html';
      $(this).load(file);
    });
  });
</script>

I use jQuery all the time and with any decent hosting the load isn't an issue.
Because you don't need to load a whole javascript-based library just to inject html. JS version is perfectly fine.
However, the best solution would be to just copy html code to every page, because if your visitor has js disabled - he'll see a broken website.

For a website with a 100kb .css file, that loads in under 200ms, making an additional 85kb http request is always an issue, with no http2 and no CDN use it's really bad. I recommend reading my thread on the right approach to websites.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
I've seen people here on the forum talk about Beaver Builder as well.

Have you had any experience with it too?

I'm looking to buy a Wordpress theme and seem a bit confused. Some say to go with Divi, others with Beaver Builder.

I would love to hear your input
I have personally never used beaver builder, but from a quick glance it looks like a front end builder which Divi 3.0 just introduced.

In divi you now have both front end and back end builder, and the options are i wouldn't say limitless but you can create anything you want after you learn the UI and get to know it.

Divi also has a strong community on facebook of about 20k members that is very helpful on answering any questions you have or just getting feedback for a created website.

Plus, when you buy divi, you don't just buy divi you get another 87 themes with it. And as I mentioned above, you only need one license for unlimited reuse.

In my opinion you should go with divi for sure, I have been using it for couple of months now and I am able to recreate almost any themeforest theme with it in couple of hours.

If you do decide to go with divi and need some help staring out, feel free to PM me.

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Pretty relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogr..._list_of_technologies_i_use_to_create_static/

Also, has anyone had any problems with cold calling? I have done it around 30 times (I know, very little) but I don't get any results at all, people just say no or hang up. It might be cause I say "Hi this is name, is name there? Hi name, how are you doing today?" The moment they hear the "how are you doing" they figure I am a salesman and change the attitude.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Pretty relevant: https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogr..._list_of_technologies_i_use_to_create_static/

Also, has anyone had any problems with cold calling? I have done it around 30 times (I know, very little) but I don't get any results at all, people just say no or hang up. It might be cause I say "Hi this is name, is name there? Hi name, how are you doing today?" The moment they hear the "how are you doing" they figure I am a salesman and change the attitude.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/i-recorded-my-cold-calls-heres-the-video.69776/

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Because you don't need to load a whole javascript-based library just to inject html. JS version is perfectly fine.
However, the best solution would be to just copy html code to every page, because if your visitor has js disabled - he'll see a broken website.

For a website with a 100kb .css file, that loads in under 200ms, making an additional 85kb http request is always an issue, with no http2 and no CDN use it's really bad. I recommend reading my thread on the right approach to websites.
Fair points. I agree with updating all the pages. I have a few clients with large websites that aren't on a CMS. (Not my design.)

I only do this on sites bigger than 20 pages. CMS when I can.

I need to start doing it with PHP.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.