The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quick money for Guitar Aficionados

ArcherCarmic

Action, Reflection, Repeat
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 27, 2016
Canada
Hey all,

First off, I've used this process to completely fund my own amateur recording studio with guitars, basses, (e)drums, mics, pedals, outboard gear, recording interfaces and the like. I live in a small city in a small province so I can see this being viable for all walks of life, which is nice. I started with 350 bones and turned it into about 10 grand worth of gear.

On to the details. I'll try to keep this short and simple, because it is simple. Plus you're all busy.
The process is this: Buy low, sell high.

I developed an interest in vintage (read: old) guitars but this can work for newer guitars and other instruments as well. I love vintage guitars though, and people pay a premium for them.

Step 1: Scour local classified ads for guitars, and identify any "older" or interesting guitars. Google is your friend here (I'm not an expert, just an expert googler.) I live in Canada, so this means all local classifieds + Kijiji. In the US, that's + craigslist. Be aware of any local auction houses who do "home contents auctions". You can also hit up flea markets, but that's hit or miss and I like doing the legwork with my trusty computer.

Step 2: If you see anything that catches your eye, or seems older, do a search on reverb.com and ebay.com (make sure you select "sold listings".) Get an idea of what it could sell for. I always aim to double my money or more, plus be aware of packaging/shipping charges that will eat into your profit.

Step 3: When you find a decent item for Y dollars that you know you can sell for Y times 2, buy it and create a listing on Reverb.com. I generally make my listing a little bit cheaper than the going rate if I'm trying to move it fast (within a week.) Take lots of pictures from all angles and be very clear about the condition in your description.

Step 4: Use reverb bump (their ads service) to promote your listing. It's cheap and it gets eyeballs, a no brainer.

Step 5: Get paid. Accept any reasonable offer (the beauty of a 100% markup is that you can give a little discount to move it quickly.) Follow reverbs guidelines on shipping (they have super helpful guides.) Bring it to the post office and mail it out. Send the customer the shipping info.

That's it. Not much to it at all. A bonus to non-American's is that we can buy a guitar for 350 CAD, and sell it for 1000 USD, which at the time of writing is ~1301.91 CAD. The exchange rate pays for shipping and packaging and then some.

Hope this helps at least one of you out there!

Plus if you're lucky, you might find a unicorn like I did :)
24xfehu.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.