The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Packing up to live in Asia

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
First rule of perpetual travel . . .

When the immigration officer asks "business or pleasure?" the answer is ALWAYS pleasure. Always.
Hmm I don't know about that entirely. If you are planning on staying in a country for 6 months to do something like an online freelancing, it may sometimes be better to pay the few hundred bucks for a business visa (kitas in Indonesia) and be able to stay for 6 months and not be hassled by immigration. If you are not working in co working spaces etc and just doing it from your hotel room I suppose it doesn't matter though.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Appreciate all the hints and tips so far guys. I definitely think longer stays is the way to go. And starting off in countries that I know already, at least to begin with, to be able to focus 100% from the get go.

I feel one of the problems I am going to have is with international phone calls. The business I am attempting is going to require me to make a lot of phone calls to companies in the states, US and UK.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
https://nomadlist.com/ seems like a great site for researching potential areas. Although some I have been to and I don't completely agree with regarding their ratings.

Has anyone else come across any similar resources?

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
This.

I have about plenty of coin and an investment property with a load of equity that is going up an extra 50k a year, but I really think I can do it comfortably on 1000 AUD a month if I only move every 3 months. But 500, you are doing well! I don't know if I could get it that low, but I kind of want to try, even though I don't need to so much. The main thing is to have the time to get more involved in my fastlane venture. I truly believe it would speed up my progress 10 fold.

I have done a bit of Thailand and am off to Tiger Muay thai in Phuket in a few weeks (booked ages ago). Have you ever stayed in Koh Tao? I could see myself spending a few months there haha. But I think Goa and Vietnam for the first 6 to 9 months is a better idea when I just want to focus entirely on my startup company. I will definitely have some questions for you in the future if you don't mind me messaging you.

100% dude. The way I look at it, I just wanted the longest runway because these Fastlane ventures can obviously be unpredictable, and I've found myself in some very low points at times!

If I wasn't frugal, I would've been done for far earlier. There was a point I only had one month's expenses left, and a point where I've had only $100 in the bank ROFL. But I've climbed out of the hole multiple times and that said, I started on only 3k or so, so sounds like you're good! This was literally my first experience w/ business or entrepreneurship and I just dove head first so if you've got savings you'll likely be fine.

Tiger muay thai is the best place in Thailand, and I also trained muay thai and BJJ in Chiang Mai. I personally can't do the islands of Thailand long-term, but that's just me. I love to network with entrepreneurs and people working online because it helps move me forward, and there's tons of backpackers/travelers down in the islands. Just a diff vibe..

However, Koh Hub in Koh Lanta is a networking/coworking space and it's legit! Lots of people doing cool stuff there, Chiang Mai, and Saigon. Punspace is great in Chiang Mai, and Saigon has tons of coffee shops as well as Dreamspace where you can find the people crushing their projects.

No prob, lemme know how I can help!

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
Appreciate all the hints and tips so far guys. I definitely think longer stays is the way to go. And starting off in countries that I know already, at least to begin with, to be able to focus 100% from the get go.

I feel one of the problems I am going to have is with international phone calls. The business I am attempting is going to require me to make a lot of phone calls to companies in the states, US and UK.

Gotta get that Skype number and do the all-nighter time difference grind man

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
As of now the 30 day Bali entry Visa is free for most visiting countries. They waived the fee a while ago.

However, I suggest paying the $35 fee for the extendable Visa. This allows you to be in Bali for 30 days, and then extend another 30 days without leaving.

You can also get a 6 month business visa (12 month too I think) but you are still required to leave so often.

It's so cheap to fly to another country and back and you can do it on the same day. At most it's a minor annoyance.

If you overstay your visa it's 300,000 IDR per day.

If you know people you can play some games with your visa - aka bribing, as Indonesia runs on bribes. All they care about is the visa stamp. I DO NOT recommend but be aware that this happens.

I also know that when I overstayed my visa, the visa guard pocketed the money instead of it going to the office. And then he stamped me. Technically it was a bribe...even though I did as I was instructed. I didn't care as long as I was allowed to leave.

Don't drive around bali with a lot of cash. When a cop stops you (when, not if ) he will expect a bribe. Don't pay him more than 100k. Never call it a bribe...ask him what the fine is.

Later on when I got wise cops would try to pull me over on the side of the road but I just pretended I didn't see them. They are looking for easy targets.

Never, ever ride drunk in Bali and always wear your helmet. Uber is so cheap, and there are so many drunk foreigners on the road at times.

Get a Skype out number, very cheap. Could also use google voice.

I think I need to make a blog post on how to run a business globally.

Hati hati!

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Spot on. Have to catch up for a drink one day in Canggu Jason. It looks more and more likely I will base myself out of there for the first 6 months.

As for the requirement to leave every 60 days or so for the day, it's actually quite nice to head to Singapore or KL etc for a night. Although I know of many people who just get the stamp on the sly.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Gotta get that Skype number and do the all-nighter time difference grind man
Yeah, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to use Skype for the calls I need to make. Essentially it is cold calling potential licensees. And just sending an email won't really suffice. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
100% dude. The way I look at it, I just wanted the longest runway because these Fastlane ventures can obviously be unpredictable, and I've found myself in some very low points at times!

If I wasn't frugal, I would've been done for far earlier. There was a point I only had one month's expenses left, and a point where I've had only $100 in the bank ROFL. But I've climbed out of the hole multiple times and that said, I started on only 3k or so, so sounds like you're good! This was literally my first experience w/ business or entrepreneurship and I just dove head first so if you've got savings you'll likely be fine.

Tiger muay thai is the best place in Thailand, and I also trained muay thai and BJJ in Chiang Mai. I personally can't do the islands of Thailand long-term, but that's just me. I love to network with entrepreneurs and people working online because it helps move me forward, and there's tons of backpackers/travelers down in the islands. Just a diff vibe..

However, Koh Hub in Koh Lanta is a networking/coworking space and it's legit! Lots of people doing cool stuff there, Chiang Mai, and Saigon. Punspace is great in Chiang Mai, and Saigon has tons of coffee shops as well as Dreamspace where you can find the people crushing their projects.

No prob, lemme know how I can help!
Was just in Chiang Mai for Songkran but didn't check those places out. Have heard some really good things about Koh Lanta! It is rated as one of if not the best digital nomad place in the world at the moment.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
As of now the 30 day Bali entry Visa is free for most visiting countries. They waived the fee a while ago.

However, I suggest paying the $35 fee for the extendable Visa. This allows you to be in Bali for 30 days, and then extend another 30 days without leaving.

You can also get a 6 month business visa (12 month too I think) but you are still required to leave so often.

It's so cheap to fly to another country and back and you can do it on the same day. At most it's a minor annoyance.

If you overstay your visa it's 300,000 IDR per day.

If you know people you can play some games with your visa - aka bribing, as Indonesia runs on bribes. All they care about is the visa stamp. I DO NOT recommend but be aware that this happens.

I also know that when I overstayed my visa, the visa guard pocketed the money instead of it going to the office. And then he stamped me. Technically it was a bribe...even though I did as I was instructed. I didn't care as long as I was allowed to leave.

Don't drive around bali with a lot of cash. When a cop stops you (when, not if ) he will expect a bribe. Don't pay him more than 100k. Never call it a bribe...ask him what the fine is.

Later on when I got wise cops would try to pull me over on the side of the road but I just pretended I didn't see them. They are looking for easy targets.

Never, ever ride drunk in Bali and always wear your helmet. Uber is so cheap, and there are so many drunk foreigners on the road at times.

Get a Skype out number, very cheap. Could also use google voice.

I think I need to make a blog post on how to run a business globally.

Hati hati!
I really like the idea of your blog post, you should definitely do it. Actually, I am going to start searching for some.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Was just in Chiang Mai for Songkran but didn't check those places out. Have heard some really good things about Koh Lanta! It is rated as one of if not the best digital nomad place in the world at the moment.
I was wondering why Lanta but Koh Hub looks pretty awesome.

The island is nice but I don't think I'd want to stay there for too long

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
I have always done the 30 day tourist visa

If you head to Thailand, enroll in a language course. Not only is it worth improving your Thai (It's actually, "kopb khun k(r)ap") if you want to live there, but you can also get an ED visa and keep extending it for several years. And you'll meet some expats in the process.

Good luck!

Yeah, unfortunately I don't think I will be able to use Skype for the calls I need to make. Essentially it is cold calling potential licensees. And just sending an email won't really suffice. I'm sure I'll figure something out though.

I've got a Skype number and an Unlimited worldwide plan. The amount of business it lets me conduct makes it all worthwhile. Plus, the number looks like it's coming out of Silicon Valley, so my US clients don't assume I'm some random from Bangladesh.

It's definitely worth the like 15 Euros a month or whatever. You can write it off on your taxes too.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
If you head to Thailand, enroll in a language course. Not only is it worth improving your Thai (It's actually, "kopb khun k(r)ap") if you want to live there, but you can also get an ED visa and keep extending it for several years. And you'll meet some expats in the process.

Good luck!

I've got a Skype number and an Unlimited worldwide plan. The amount of business it lets me conduct makes it all worthwhile. Plus, the number looks like it's coming out of Silicon Valley, so my US clients don't assume I'm some random from Bangladesh.

It's definitely worth the like 15 Euros a month or whatever. You can write it off on your taxes too.
Some good tips, I am going to have to look into the Skype subscription, have only ever used the free version. How many companies would not have that feature though? If I had to essentially cold call companies in the states. I would more than happily invest an amount like that if it had the access I am looking for. Will have to look into it a lot further, cheers for the tip.

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
You actually buy a US number, through skype. So you pick the area code and state you want to be based in! It's hardly any different than having a real number and you can of course use your phone and data to talk with them from anywhere if you don't want to use the computer

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Well it's officially been one week since I have left my job and moved to "Fight Street" in Chalong, Phuket. No beaches here, just a bunch of sweaty people training. Started learning kickboxing at Tiger Muay Thai and felt the difference after only a few days. Part of the reason to come here was to get fit while working on my fastlane project, but it is turning out that I really need to work on my fitness as a priority first. However, am making some good headway on my project.

Quite funny when I look back at my original opening post haha. It would be such a massive struggle to work on improving your fitness and start up a fastlane venture while moving around asia every few weeks. Not a chance this would work! So am planning on spending the next 5 months here visa permitting.

Having a financial exit plan from my job and actually doing it was the best thing I ever did. Of course it is different for everyone so I can only speak of my own situation. Plan, budget, downsize. You would be amazed at what you could do. I'm paying 10 bucks a night for a nice one bedder hotel with a pool, fridge etc, and meals are only about a buck fifty each :p It's not amazing but the whole point isn't to be on holiday now, is it.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The Desert of Desertion.... ha! Very timely to rewatch MJ's youtube video on this.

A few months ago I had 3D rendered images and CAD work sufficient for a provisional patent application completed on my product I am trying to develop for licensing. Went to some friends who work in the industry (at a low to mid level) and was unfortunately surprised at the response. Only 1 sent back useful feedback, which was in a way shitting all over my product as well, but I didn't mind because it was actually some great F*cking feedback which can help me prepare for when I get the same or similar questions from companies I am trying to license to. The rest... well. After asking them if they would give me some feedback most didn't even reply back after they agreed. And actually, all of them I personally considered friends. Pretty taken back as personally I am the type of person who goes WELL out of my way to help people trying to improve if they come to me. Although it sent me into a bit of a spin and a lot of doubt, in the end it also highlighted to me the difference between people who just want to stay slowlane and the people on places like this forum.

I have a coach who is helping me along now (I won't say the company but I'm sure many of you who are into product development know which company/author I am speaking of). And hearing his comments about how some people just see the world differently to people like us rings true. He was absolutely ridiculed for his product! But is now laughing all the way to the damn bank haha.

As for the move to Asia, I can offer some novice advice to any thinking of doing the same as I get a few private messages about it. The advice I was given earlier about staying in the one place to focus is ENTIRELY true, obviously. However, if you have any hidden desires to do a bit of travel first (even though you say you are only going to focus on fastlane...) just do it and get it out of your system. You will get to a point where you get unbelievably sick of it and it becomes the last thing you want to do!

At the moment I am in Saigon, doing a little kickboxing and returning to working on my product. Have some friends in Hanoi who have offered me a job teaching English for 15 to 20 hours a week for a pretty decent hourly rate which I think I will take up. More than enough to help give me a bit of structure back in my life and be able to spend as long as possible working on fastlane without burning through savings.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.