The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing Warrior/Self-Improvement Brand

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Im starting to think that the best route for me will be to make a few changes, maybe with my content, and give more of a "this is my journey" instead of "here's what you should do" type advice. Or at least be less "guru" about it all. Any feedback on that?

I like that because then you're being authentic instead of just another cheap guru feigning gurudom.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
But with time, I'll gather experience and wisdom and my content will get better
Im starting to think that the best route for me will be to make a few changes, maybe with my content, and give more of a "this is my journey" instead of "here's what you should do" type advice. Or at least be less "guru" about it all.

i like the above! don't quit what you do. change it to your life's teachings. but would that be fastlane?
try and find a need. people have a lot of experienced persons help them into their mentallity change.
no need for another one.
there are lots of ideas out there. i am sure you will find a new one!
if you love what you do continue doing it as a hobby not as your way to the fastlane.
no one in here wants to judge a lot. only trying to being sincere about what they see to help other young fastlaners. no need for insults and emotional thinking! tough love is givven a lot in this forum.
and feel humble to the fact that mj himself replied to your thread twice in order to help you!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
There are several guys mid twenties on this forum that I would put a lot of value on coaching me. They are the real version of what you are trying to front. From reading their stories most of them got there in 3-5 years. They built successful businesses (plural) and could now easily turn around and do what you want to do. They wouldn't have to prove themselves, would offer real value and could genuinely help others.

You can try set this up or you can change direct and focus on yourself first for a few years. Set yourself up financially, mentally and whatever other ways you define success. Then see if you want to coach it to others. It will come natural since you have been in the trenches and got the results. The brand will build itself.

I would recommend The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. You are young and need to solidify yourself first before you turn to coaching.

7habparadigm-copy.png

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Thanks MJ and everyone! Im humbled and appreciate any tough love. To Fox: I have the 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People. If I start focusing on coming out with content with a more "this is my journey" approach I can see how I can add more value. I actually recently did a challenge on my channel where I personally held a couple of guys accountable and they reported that the experience was life changing. It was a 21-day challenge where they had to do things such as meditate for an hour straight, wake up at 3 am for a run, ask 3 girls out, etc. It was pretty rewarding to be doing that and I'm still in contact with them today. I'm not necessarily interested in being a "guru". I just want to add value, keep growing as a man, get better in all areas of life and help men do the same. I guess the point Im getting at is: How can I do this as a business other than just a blog? This is FastLane after all right? I don't want a "pill" type answer though. I know it's not an overnight thing. But the message Im getting sounds like Im being recommended to focus elsewhere and "rack up some wins and losses". Then come back and "coach". However, that sounds a lot like abandoning this project. If only there was a way to keep evolving, to keep coming out with content without coming across as a "fake know-it-all guru" and to be able to profit from it so I won't have to waste any time on other projects. Some of you are saying to "focus on a need" and then fulfill it. Perhaps come out with a product that isn't "guru-esque" and come out with something more tangible like the "workout gear for guys in Colorado" idea. That sounds cool but what kind of product can I come out with that isn't guru-esque yet still corresponds with my field? Hmmm....

TwoSteps

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Mar 30, 2016
Southampton (UK)
Find one person. A friend, younger brother. Anyone who looks up to you (even slightly). Go through your 'coaching' program with them. Dress well. Choose good locations. Document everything. Video everything. Show the enthusiasm & the sweat. Get that person to start their own blog and post their own personal updates & positive results. You'll learn from this. You might even decide you don't like it!

If it works for both of you, do it again until you develop some social proof.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I even seriously considered joining the French Foreign Legion to gain some experience in the armed forces to have more credibility (Mark Divine is a Navy Seal who writes a lot of books on self-development which inspire me).

Please don't do that...

There are better ways to gain credibility.

Remember: before you master other people, you must master yourself.

Try this: http://superdrivepublishing.com/30-days-of-discipline/

And also, here's some food for thought:

Why don't you develop yourself first and document your journey every step of the way?

Pick a niche:

Example: Let's say you want to achieve a certain weight, with a certain bodyfat percentage.
Why not do a snapchat, blog, or w.e. and show people what goes on behind the scenes?
  • You waking up at 5 in the morning.
  • You in the gym.
  • The look on your face after eating the same foods for a week.
  • You showcasing your desire to quit.
  • Showing people your internal struggles.

Here, look at ths -

Gurus always make it look easy. I have yet to see more people showicasing what success looks like backstage.
People love an underdog story / documentaries.

Also, why don't you develop some people first at no cost and let them be your walking, talking, testimonial?

If you can show proof that you took someone from point A to point B with your methods, they will refer you, they will talk good about you, and you will have proof and credibility.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Please don't do that...

There are better ways to gain credibility.

Remember: before you master other people, you must master yourself.

Try this: http://superdrivepublishing.com/30-days-of-discipline/

And also, here's some food for thought:

Why don't you develop yourself first and document your journey every step of the way?

Pick a niche:

Example: Let's say you want to achieve a certain weight, with a certain bodyfat percentage.
Why not do a snapchat, blog, or w.e. and show people what goes on behind the scenes?
  • You waking up at 5 in the morning.
  • You in the gym.
  • The look on your face after eating the same foods for a week.
  • You showcasing your desire to quit.
  • Showing people your internal struggles.

Here, look at ths -

Gurus always make it look easy. I have yet to see more people showicasing what success looks like backstage.
People love an underdog story / documentaries.

Also, why don't you develop some people first at no cost and let them be your walking, talking, testimonial?

If you can show proof that you took someone from point A to point B with your methods, they will refer you, they will talk good about you, and you will have proof and credibility.

Just my two cents.

Man, that's some fantastic advice and I'm working on being disciplined already. I have an entire system set-up with weekly activities and performance goals.

But, definitely cool stuff about taking on a more "documentary" style approach to my content. Other guys mentioned it too. It's basically switching it up from "im a guru" to "this is my experience and my journey" type content.

I already uploaded a video today where I mentioned that i'll be making content that showcases my struggles and my successes and that Im not trying to be anybody's coach.

And also, I love the idea of working with people and then getting their testimonials as-well so that I will have walking-talking proof.

I appreciate your advice because it's congruent to my purpose as opposed to some guys just telling me to quit and do something else.

Thanks man!

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
No problem, brother.

The reason why you got bashed here is because although you were trying to provide value, you didn't have the experience or evidence to back up your claims.

What you did was based on assumptions. Nothing was real, so there was no trust.

If people don't trust you, they don't buy from you. It's as simple as that.

When you take the "documenting the journey" approach, people develop a sense of empathy towards your cause.
When something is based on reality, you become genuine. You can relate to people and build rapport. That's valuable.

When people see you struggling, they may have gone through the same process or may be feeling the same emotions. They like to know that someone out there really understands and feels their pain.

This allows you to develop a much deeper and emotional connection with your audience.

Just think of the progress threads on this forum. We love to hear about people trying to make it. And when they do, we are happy about it.

I personally would not focus 100% of my energy documenting the journey . I'd pick something and pursue it.

Example: I will become a master salesman and make 6 figures a year before the age of 25.

Then, imagine documenting yourself throughout this journey:

* Landing your first sales job.
* Cold calling business (showcasing the mental struggles of this method, but at the same time, proving that it works if you're willing to put in the work.)
* Driving to appointments (talking about useful things you've learned throughout the week. A lesson.)
* Hidden cam closing sales.
* Book reviews
* Course reviews
* Trade associations + networking
* Showcasing what you learned and how you applied it (copywriting + direct mail for lead generation.)
* Case studies
* Etc

This is just off the top of my head. You can do this with anything. Just be sure to do it.

Here's some more food for thought - http://fourhourworkweek.com/2011/09/29/8-steps-to-getting-what-you-want-without-formal-credentials/

And here's some inspiration in case you decide to document your journey

Good luck.

Last edited:

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Hey guys, I just read through all of your replies. Matter of fact I read through them a few days ago. I gotta admit your responses got me thinking. Im 21 afterall. Who the F*ck am I to be giving advice on being a warrior? It's true that a lot of my subs are friends. And it's true that people might be blowing sunshine up my a$$. In the past few days I've been thinking a whole lot. I even seriously considered joining the French Foreign Legion to gain some experience in the armed forces to have more credibility (Mark Divine is a Navy Seal who writes a lot of books on self-development which inspire me).I dont want to do it though because it would suck really badly. My passion is to learn how to evolve to be the best man I could be and then serve other men to master their lives. I don't know any other way to do so other than creating my brand. Does anybody have any legitimate advice on how I could continue with my purpose? Because advice such as "get a job" or "research workout clothes" has it's truth but at the end of the day I would much rather make Spartan Ownership successful. The other paths don't contain "evolving and helping other men evolve". Either way, I'll consider everything you guys wrote but I figured it was worth elaborating my position further.

Bro, I know that it was not easy to hear other ridiculing you posting 25+ articles in your website. It must have been time consuming writing all that.
But you missed the whole point.

I will tell you what you should do.

This is not my words, this is from Gary Vaynerchuck. I forgot which video it was.

"Stop creating. Document."

Basically, if you really enjoy self-development you don't have to give advices. Document the learning process and tell what you are going through.
You can explain about books that you read.
Interview people who are successful.
Talk about progress that you made.
You can give advices and attribute it to the actual author.

Thats how you make a personal brand.

And lastly, i think you should get a editor or a person to proof read your articles.

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
No problem, brother.

The reason why you got bashed here is because although you were trying to provide value, you didn't have the experience or evidence to back up your claims.

What you did was based on assumptions. Nothing was real, so there was no trust.

If people don't trust you, they don't buy from you. It's as simple as that.

When you take the "documenting the journey" approach, people develop a sense of empathy towards your cause.
When something is based on reality, you become genuine. You can relate to people and build rapport. That's valuable.

When people see you struggling, they may have gone through the same process or may be feeling the same emotions. They like to know that someone out there really understands and feels their pain.

This allows you to develop a much deeper and emotional connection with your audience.

Just think of the progress threads on this forum. We love to hear about people trying to make it. And when they do, we are happy about it.

I personally would not focus 100% of my energy documenting the journey . I'd pick something and pursue it.

Example: I will become a master salesman and make 6 figures a year before the age of 25.

Then, imagine documenting yourself throughout this journey:

* Landing your first sales job.
* Cold calling business (showcasing the mental struggles of this method, but at the same time, proving that it works if you're willing to put in the work.)
* Driving to appointments (talking about useful things you've learned throughout the week. A lesson.)
* Hidden cam closing sales.
* Book reviews
* Course reviews
* Trade associations + networking
* Showcasing what you learned and how you applied it (copywriting + direct mail for lead generation.)
* Case studies
* Etc

This is just off the top of my head. You can do this with anything. Just be sure to do it.

Here's some more food for thought - http://fourhourworkweek.com/2011/09/29/8-steps-to-getting-what-you-want-without-formal-credentials/

And here's some inspiration in case you decide to document your journey

Good luck.

Man,

You give some solid F*cking advice!

I agree with almost everything you said. The only part that I don't understand is the second one: where you mention picking something else and pursuing it. I would do that but why would I settle to be a salesman instead of really pursuing my dream of building a big brand out of my blog?

Besides, I can come out with products that satisfy needs in my market. Products that aren't based on coaching but more tangible ones like something physical or a video series where I teach people to get a very specific result (for a problem that I have experience with).

I think coming out of the "coachy" mindset and adopting a more "documentary" style approach to creating content is a great step forward. Then the next step would be to identify a need and provide a result. But only with things I have experience with.

The need I could satisfy could be a physical need through some sort of product, etc...

If I do that, don't you think I'll be headed towards success?

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
Bro, I know that it was not easy to hear other ridiculing you posting 25+ articles in your website. It must have been time consuming writing all that.
But you missed the whole point.

I will tell you what you should do.

This is not my words, this is from Gary Vaynerchuck. I forgot which video it was.

"Stop creating. Document."

Basically, if you really enjoy self-development you don't have to give advices. Document the learning process and tell what you are going through.
You can explain about books that you read.
Interview people who are successful.
Talk about progress that you made.
You can give advices and attribute it to the actual author.

Thats how you make a personal brand.

And lastly, i think you should get a editor or a person to proof read your articles.

Thanks a lot for that!

I can definitely see the value in having a more "documentary" style in how I come out with content.

I've actually already interviewed 3+ people and will be interviewing more.

SpartanWarrior77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
May 3, 2016
You want to coach people when it appears you can't coach yourself?

Are we being trolled?

Nope, we aren't.

Turns out, this is becoming a disturbing pattern for 20-somethings. We see it here. Young people marketing themselves as experts when they haven't put forth any effort worthy of an expert. No life experience, no wins, no failures; nothing but a slick website with empty claims and vague credentials.

I commend you on the effort but IMO, it's a little cart before the horse. Rack up some wins, some life experience, and then see if you still want to be a guru afterward. I'm guessing you won't. Good luck.

I agree man.

I've already tried building a few businesses in the website design/video animation field so I've racked up a teeny bit of experience.

I agree that it's a bit "cart before the horse" so I will adopt a more documentary style approach to my videos!

However, this is the fastlane forum at the end of the day right?

Based off some feedback, Im getting here and my own personal thoughts, I think the next step would be to come out with a product that satisfies a need in my market. It could be a physcial product or something. But at least it won't be a "coachy" product where I attempt to give advice.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Man,

I agree with almost everything you said. The only part that I don't understand is the second one: where you mention picking something else and pursuing it. I would do that but why would I settle to be a salesman instead of really pursuing my dream of building a big brand out of my blog?

The reason why I wouldn't focus 100% of my energy on building a personal brand is because it isn't scalable.

Gary Vaynerchuk has said it himself. He uses his personal brand as a means, not an end. It's just a publicity tool for him and Vayner Media.

The reason why I dislike this as a "business" model is because once you reach "success", you still need to put out content. To make things worse, if you're documenting yourself through video, then that becomes even harder (you can't clone someone and make them work for you.)

By picking up a skill, mastering it, and then applying it to build a business, you can have money coming in fairly quickly to pay your bills and to re-invest it into your business venture.

Finally, business happens when a sale takes place. When you build a personal brand, you are a building a communication channel. You're building the medium. An audience. And you are only going to get paid once somebody has identified your channel as something valuable. You'll most likely get paid for guest posting, advertising, affiliate sales, etc. It's long-term, but I think there are better things to do for the long-term.

So think about it for a second:

Guy #1 - Learns web design fair enough to start building websites for local businesses ($500 - $1000 each.)
Time: Less than one month.

Guy #2 - Builds blog about documenting his journey. When will he get paid? Who knows.
Time: Years (It's a journey. It doesn't happen overnight.)

Another problem I see with this method is that everybody is doing it. It's saturated. What makes it worthwhile for me to read your blog out of the millions on the internet about the same thing? Especially with blogs such as bold and determined?

Anyways... since you seem to have made up your mind already, what exactly are you going to help people with?

Whatever it is that you do, I hope you learn and lead by example.

Last edited:

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Yo. I know someone who achieved this feat and he is 21 years old.
And he is from TFF.

Check: http://dareandconquer.com/

I think he got featured in Victor Pride. And he has a Fiverr mastery course and all that.

And a great resource that I recommend you for your journey is https://www.udemy.com/building-a-personal-brand-by-gary-vaynerchuk/
Its a paid course by Gary Vee.

I have the course. The first thing he mentions in his video is .... "I laugh at people who think they can growth hack and do social media and become a personal brand. What I did to build a personal brand is to shut up for the first 10 to 15 years of my career. During those 15 years I was building the businesses that gave me the audacity to create Gary Vaynerchuck brand. Everyone who thinks he can growth hack and become personal super star, I laugh at them"

When I first heard him say it I did not agree with him as well. And so I started my first online course to "Teach people how to start businesses"
It was a scam.
I failed.
5 months went down the toilet.

Lesson leaned.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
What I did to build a personal brand is to shut up for the first 10 to 15 years of my career. During those 15 years I was building the businesses that gave me the audacity to create Gary Vaynerchuck brand.

That's why I think you should master something first @SpartanWarrior77

Prove your worth, then talk about it.

Or document yourself achieving a specific goal.

Last edited:

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If despite all the criticism, you're still totally committed to making your website work, I admire your resolve.

I'll just say this: when you take the stance of someone who's going to be giving other people advice, be conscious that there are people who will take it seriously and follow it. There's a lot of bloggers and gurus who come across as being very knowledgable and they're great at attracting followers, but what they preach is toxic, and it creates more negativity in the world.

Especially the case with these type of hyper masculine and power focused self-improvement circles. There's a lot of anger, and a lot of bitterness being spread, and it negatively effects the young and impressionable.

I myself have held some very cynical beliefs in the past, some of which I've shared with others. On close inspection, I've seen that a lot of these attitudes don't really make anyone's lives better, and just add to their suffering more.

So with that said, I hope you use this role to inspire positivity and enhance people's lives.

It would be worthwhile to work on improving your grammar as well, and articulation with concepts as well.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
if you cant do it better than boldanddetermined.com and dangerandplay.com then I would encourage you to move on and find something else.

This type of thing is beaten to death and there isnt much new to it
It'd be easy to do better than them. A lot of their advice is not optimal and some of it is flat out bad advice.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It'd be easy to do better than them. A lot of their advice is not optimal and some of it is flat out bad advice.

Your profile pic is a bit startling.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
I actually first discovered bold and determined when I was feeling like shit, just coming out of high school and thought there was something more. From bold and determined I found TFF. So I do value these types of blogs..

Victor Pride says it himself: Don't be a B&D or Danger and Play copycat. Provide a new angle. There's millions of B&D copycats.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014

This is one of the pointless comments that clutter up the forum and do nothing to help anyone.

Feel free to drop a link to your blog that is better than theirs because it is easy.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
This is one of the pointless comments that clutter up the forum and do nothing to help anyone.

Feel free to drop a link to your blog that is better than theirs because it is easy.
That is your opinion. I don't need to describe why it's bad. A lot of the stuff is good on the business side but recommending steroids, coffee, Kratom, etc. isn't good for health, longevity, creativity, energy, vitality and an overall healthy life. These are short term solutions with long term negative consequences.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That is your opinion. I don't need to describe why it's bad. A lot of the stuff is good on the business side but recommending steroids, coffee, Kratom, etc. isn't good for health, longevity, creativity, energy, vitality and an overall healthy life. These are short term solutions with long term negative consequences.

I think this is what he was merely saying. If you're going to say something is bad, please express WHY you think it is bad. You did so above so thanks for adding that clarity.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
You're 21. Who the F*ck are you going to "coach?" 16 year olds? They don't have any money.
You're wasting your time on this. If you stick with this, you might find a more receptive audience at the Warrior Forum.

who knows ? maybe he is the next Tony Robbins

watch this video showing an incredible early Tony Robbins .

At 20 something, the guy was already a guru of self development with amazing performances

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'll be honest, I got halfway through this thread and my brain hurt, so I figured I'd drop my $.02 in.

First, what is this obsession with "entrepreneurs" and coaching? Every podcast I find is how to coach others in xyz. Every post on entrepreneur pages on FB are the usual guru crap. And honestly a lot of posts we see here from newbies are coaching related.

It all boils down to this. Credibility. When Biophase or Andy say, "hey I'm starting a coaching service" I'll listen, because they have credibility. When Joe blow "parked" new guy says it, what credibility does he have.

That's the thing here, I'm confused how a 21 year old wants to teach me how to be a warrior. Do I know 21 year olds who are qualified to do that? Absolutely. I know guys who had been on their 3rd combat tour by 21. But I'm almost certain that our fellow here isn't one (we stopped heavy combat operations while he was in highschool).

What I'm trying to say is, coaching and mentorship type businesses should be done as a consultant AFTER you create your fastlane business.
If OP had created a successful workout program, trained The Rock to get jacked for his role in a new movie about killing dragons, then done seminars for Navy SEALs on tomohawk techniques, then launched a successful gym clothing brand, yes, he can mentor on living the warrior lifestyle.

Stop focusing on teaching others because you read some blogs and you think you're an expert. Become an actual expert first, then teach later. This isn't 4 hour work week, you can just call yourself an expert. That's a title you earn over years by DOING.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I've skimmed through this thread and there's been great advice given. Thanks, I've learned a quite a few things, and ways of explaining things!

Also, kudos to @SpartanWarrior77 for taking it all on his chin and being open to feedback. Well done sir.

Here's a GREAT Gary Vaynerchuk video that perfectly sums up what most seem to think:

(Go watch it and come back... we'll wait!)

When Biophase or Andy say, "hey I'm starting a coaching service" I'll listen, because they have credibility.

@Scot says he'd listen up if biophase or I were to announce we'd do a coaching course.

Well biophase announced that last week, and people have bitten his hand off. Apparently he's been asked many many times to do coaching.

Why does Scot say we both have credibility?

Are there plenty of other people in the forum who are also walking the walk?

Of course there are, but they've maybe not been "documenting" it as much as we have and gained the same credibility, and trust.

People listen to experts, they FOLLOW leaders.

(I did a wee video on that here.)

If you want followers, then lead.

Do it, document it, and people may just follow, as @Thiago Machado said.

But really, you shouldn't be trying to create a following or audience anyway.

Read this great Article by Justin Jackson:

An example of me documenting a journey and not giving a rats arse about "building a following" would be this Progress Thread. In fact, the whole point of the thread was to encourage others to just start already:

Sheesh, the first video in that thread is all you need, and it's only 2 minutes long.

Personally, I LOVE coaching people - it's in my DNA.

But at this moment in time I have ZERO intention of doing coaching or creating a course.

This extract from my INSIDERS Progress Thread explains why:

Why I'm not creating courses

I've been told quite a lot that I should create AdWords courses.

Recently I explained to someone that I was developing a process by which I will generate leads for service businesses and use those leads to signup services business.

He thought that sounded like a J.O.B. Oops... I didn't explain it very well then.

Below was my clarification:

I don't intend to be the person to contact blacksmiths (<--example vertical!). The intention is to develop the process and then have other people do it for me... a call centre or a sales person, maybe on commission.

I also don't consider myself a pro at AdWords anymore. I'm a business owner, and I'm building a business that will have value without me being present.

A repeatable and scalable customer acquisition process that doesn't rely on me is a necessary part of that business.

If I can build a business that doesn't have Andy Black attached to it in ANY way, then all the merrier!

The specific audience for AdWords tutorials are other people who want to be AdWords specialists or Affiliate marketers - ask me how I know! :)

They're just not my target market. They're employees, other marketing freelancers, or guys trying to make money pushing electrons about.

My best clients for my service business recognise I know my stuff, then hire me to do it.

I worked out that people who want to learn how to do something are just NOT my ideal client. They don't value their time properly, and they've taken their eye off the ball. Instead of learning how to do what I do, they should engage me and focus on growing their business.

In fact, I see a lead generation service as the ultimate business networking machine. I get to find true business operators, and get to become their new best buddy. These true business operators have visions and plans and are already executing on it (which is why they can afford to hire me). They also hang around with other operators with visions and plans who can execute.

There's also plenty of AdWords tutorials out there. I just don't see a big need for me to create another one.

I DID see a need for me to create that Maths video for kids about to sit an extremely important exam, who've not been given the best chance to get the best result. I spent a while retaking that and then editing it so it was a short and to the point as possible.

I DO see a possible need to explain AdWords such that the typical business owner "gets" it... and I'll get that honed down naturally over time as I ramble and keep talking to people.

To be honest, I'd rather just make their phones ring - by using the skillset I have, not by teaching others the skillset I have. They just won't do as good a job. They can't - they're not full-time at it, and I've too many advantages over them from 15 years in IT, 6 years doing hardcore AdWords, and 13 of those years being self-employed.

AdWords "How-To" content isn't ever-green (direct response marketing stuff is of course). Mindset stuff and ways to live your life are ever-green.

The reason I'm doing the videos now is to leave bread-crumbs for others to help them live a better life, and that includes my sons and future generations.

It's also so I can point people to them, and not have to keep repeating myself.

Currently my content has done a great job of helping me build a service business with clients. It wasn't my intention - mostly it was so I didn't have to keep repeating myself to clients.

TL;DR?

Rigidly planned (AdWords) videos just don't appeal to me (I've done personality profiling and I do best live and not knowing what I'll say next).

AdWords videos appeal to the wrong market.

Doing tutorials doesn't leverage the ability I have to generate leads for business that don't care where the leads come from.

TL;DR?

Why sell shovels when you can sell GOLD?

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I think this is what he was merely saying. If you're going to say something is bad, please express WHY you think it is bad. You did so above so thanks for adding that clarity.
Thank you. I misunderstood.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I've been hesitant to respond and you may have already left the building... but please take Gary V's advice and go start a product or service based business.

In order to become a worth-while coach... you need to do something worth-while.

Even then it's an uphill battle.

I've had 3 fairly successful businesses, traveled the world, read over 1200 books in the areas of personal development, leadership, sales, marketing, psychology, health, nutrition, fitness, etc. etc. -- I've attended over 200 seminars, got certified in 2 different forms of psychology, 2 coaching certifications, 3 personal training certifications, 2 nutrition certifications, the list really goes on and on... I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished in a short time...

But I've spent the last 13 years trying to be good enough to be a coach.

And every single day I struggle to convince people some of the distinctions I've learned and used from my mentor could dramatically change the quality of their life.

On one side, I can appreciate your drive and desire to help people -- I love it. On the other, dabbling pisses me off.

Everyone with a Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, or Blog now calls themselves an "inspirational speaker", "motivator", or "life coach"...

Don't be that guy.

If you're serious about this here's what I suggest:

Take the next year to flesh out a plan for a big business. Work, enjoy, party, and then for the next 10 years take massive action to make that plan a reality. Don't teach others what you think life should be like. Don't coach people on stuff you don't know how to do. Don't position yourself as a brand. Just work. Work your a$$ off until someone asks how you did it.

Then, and only then, should you become a coach.

Good luck

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.