The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dealing with stress.

Deri

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 13, 2016
Wales
How do you deal with stress?
I am not major stressed out but at the moment I am really busy on a job and it keeps growing. In the meantime I have other customers that are waiting for me and are probably starting to get impatient. I am understaffed but can't seem to get reliable staff.
I know I can get on with it but when I am waking in the night and thinking about work, I just stress about it all.
Do anyone have any specific ways to relieve this? I'm sure I am not the only one?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Dylan Curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Aug 10, 2016
Ireland
Meditation is fantastic for relieving stress, along with working out and cooking. Take some time out for yourself every now and then just to relax. I have also been really stressed lately and despite an increasingly overwhelming workload I said F*ck it last night and watched 5 episodes of Stranger Things just to distract myself from the worries for a while, and it worked, I'm more determined and more focused today than I would have been had I worked through the night.

Apart from that, maybe start delegating more work? I don't know what industry you're in but you could also look into hiring remote workers.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I've found that the best antidote for stress is action. The more proactive and greater the quantity the better.

What could you do today or tomorrow to address your customers waiting for product? Don't you think it would be nice to go to them before they come to you to complain? Would that course of action simultaneously elevate their opinion of you while reducing your stress?

Personally, I've found that most of the stress I experience in life is self inflicted. Either I have procrastinated, or haven't executed crisply enough, and it comes back to bite me. The cure for that is self awareness, careful reflection, and doing it better next time.

If all that doesn't do it for you, then pick up heavy things and put them back down again. Repeat 3 times a week for optimal results.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
Meditation is fantastic for relieving stress, along with working out and cooking. Take some time out for yourself every now and then just to relax. I have also been really stressed lately and despite an increasingly overwhelming workload I said F*ck it last night and watched 5 episodes of Stranger Things just to distract myself from the worries for a while, and it worked, I'm more determined and more focused today than I would have been had I worked through the night.

Apart from that, maybe start delegating more work? I don't know what industry you're in but you could also look into hiring remote workers.

This. Exercise is a great way to defuse stress.

Taking some time off occasionally is important. There's been various studies done on those who constantly work and those who take a few hours for themselves a day. The breaks help you to relieve stress and you become more productive and focused when you are working.

Working constantly is not good for your health and it's counterproductive. Unless you extremely enjoy what you're doing you'll get less done. This isn't to say slack off, but giving yourself breathing room will help with productivity and stress levels.

https://hbr.org/2015/08/the-research-is-clear-long-hours-backfire-for-people-and-for-companies

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK
Some great advise above, as always on this forum.

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but it did me, this was one of those moments when the penny dropped for me.

While on a management development programme a few years back, part of the course was dealing with stress and how you respond to stressfully situations.

Lets say someone pulls out in front of you while your driving your car along the street, what is your reaction ?

If like me, probably every swear word known to mankind, scream at the top of my voice, raising my bloody pressure, heart rate and adrenaline.

Well its like this, you have a CHOICE how you react, you don't have to react in that way, you are in control you have a choice of how you respond to the tit that's just pulled out in front of you.

YOU are also in control of how you respond to every stressful event in your life, if someone at work pisses you off, things not going to plan, to much work, STOP think, DEEP BREATH and choose how you are going to react, CALMLY! Your mind works better when in a state of calmness, allowing to think more clearly to resolve your issues.

Works for me.

Hope this helps.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
My problem with stress is that it's misdiagnosed. At least in the west.

Most people think stress is the problem when actually it's a symptom. Find the root cause and you will be able to treat it. For most people it's being overworked, tough job, family life, kids, business etc. All these and more situations trigger the stress effect but you talk to most doctors and they will say: "yes, the problem is stress".

The east has really nailed it. Yoga, meditation and breathing can help you immensely. Inhale, hold for 10 seconds and exhale. It's similar to the Buddhist "black smoke" technique but simplified.

I don't get stressed but when I'm feeling the pressure or I feel overwhelmed I go for a walk, read a book, watch a TED Talk etc. Some people swear by going to the gym, going for a swim or taking the dog for a walk. Do whatever works and change that pattern.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
How do you deal with stress?
I am not major stressed out but at the moment I am really busy on a job and it keeps growing. In the meantime I have other customers that are waiting for me and are probably starting to get impatient. I am understaffed but can't seem to get reliable staff.
I know I can get on with it but when I am waking in the night and thinking about work, I just stress about it all.
Do anyone have any specific ways to relieve this? I'm sure I am not the only one?
Concentrate on solving the cause of stress and eliminate a future possibility of its recurrence.
Answer yourself a question - will your problems be gone forever once you sort out the current situation? Will you magically hire reliable staff just because you won't feel any stress? Or maybe you feel stress, because you need to take action?
Sometimes you need to get things done so hard that you feel bad stress. It's an indication of "FFS GET SHIT DONE FINALLY".

Get your diet on spot, workout 4-5 days a week with periodic approach (hard/easy workouts), don't read, watch or listen things that make you sad, don't communicate with people who affect you in a bad way. Get yourself a day planner and get your shit done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.