The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
Hello Biophase.
Thank your for your time.
I don't have any specific questions, but a broad one.
What would your advise be to someone who is starting an ecommerce site in the pharma/nootropics niche?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
just to clarify, i will be selling from the uk and across europe, will i just need a EAN code and not a UPC because that only applies to the US? also i will have to buy the EAN code? if so will i be able to use the code more than once on the same product if i have 50 of them? does the code go on the product packaging or inside and will the alibaba manufacturer generally do that fo me ,also with regards to the sku do i make that up myself? thanks @biophase

I think you still need to get a UPC code. It's only about $2, so why skip this step. You need 1 UPC code per product variation. I am recommending people not put UPC barcodes on their actual product now, instead put the Amazon barcodes on them so your product is not commingled.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
So I've got my product up and running on Amazon - yeah! Found someone who was confident - based on experience - that it's OK to use the reseller UPC codes instead of having my brand accepted for apparel. My challenge is, a search on keywords for my product turns up 20 pages of products and I'm near the end. :-( So no one's probably seeing it. Basically, I came up with a design for a t-shirt line that's better IMHO than others out there. Besides having a contest on Amazon and running ads - which I couldn't afford with the barely making a penny pricing I've chosen - how else can I get found? Any ideas @biophase? Others? Thanks. I did sell a shirt on eBay though with no special promotion - hooray!

Facebook? Instagram? Pinterest?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello Biophase.
Thank your for your time.
I don't have any specific questions, but a broad one.
What would your advise be to someone who is starting an ecommerce site in the pharma/nootropics niche?

I don't know anything about that market but it seems like the same as any other supplement. I would 100% stay away from that market unless you are already invested in it. If you run a GNC, already have an online supplement store, or own a manufacturing lab then I'd say you could continue. But if you are planning on private labeling or coming up with your own formula and then selling from nothing, I would choose another niche.

dbx286

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Aug 13, 2016
I don't know anything about that market but it seems like the same as any other supplement. I would 100% stay away from that market unless you are already invested in it. If you run a GNC, already have an online supplement store, or own a manufacturing lab then I'd say you could continue. But if you are planning on private labeling or coming up with your own formula and then selling from nothing, I would choose another niche.

Let's just say I am in a micro-niche which eliminates 90% of potential competitors due to my geographical advantage. I am getting about $5k/monthly sales, and my profit margin is between 40 to 50%. I am trying to increase the sales and the marketing is much larger than $5k/month.

Wisith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 29, 2015
How often do you introduce a new product that compliments your existing ones or enter a new niche?

I still find it amazing that your way is so organic, for a lack of better word. Finding an issue and trying to solve them as oppose to looking at trends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xuyigang

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 15, 2015
Greenville SC
This may have been already discussed somewhere, is there any analytics tool to see sales volume of a product on Amazon.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Guys, stop being lazy and respect bio's time a bit if you want him to keep dropping gold nuggets here.

Most "This may have been already discussed somewhere"-questions are so easy to find just by doing a google search. Check it out.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Hey Bio,

With the recent change in storage fees for November and December, is there anything you are doing differently with your inventory and holiday process as opposed to previous years?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey Bio,

With the recent change in storage fees for November and December, is there anything you are doing differently with your inventory and holiday process as opposed to previous years?

No, I'm not doing anything differently. It will cost me alot to stock product there but I'd still rather have too much than not enough.

My products will cost me $1/unit to store in December.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I just got a new credit card -> Chase Sapphire Reserve (Anyone looking for a credit card - you should really look into it because they have great incentives).

I plan on using this for my orders if I am paying with paypal.

I typically wire money on my very large orders. Has anyone tried paying using their credit card?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
I just got a new credit card -> Chase Sapphire Reserve (Anyone looking for a credit card - you should really look into it because they have great incentives).

I plan on using this for my orders if I am paying with paypal.

I typically wire money on my very large orders. Has anyone tried paying using their credit card?

Most suppliers that I have worked with have allowed me to use paypal for sample orders, but prefer wire transfer for large quantities. If they accept paypal for your large order, you'll be charged for the 4%-5% paypal fees as opposed to $50 for a wire transfer. If you are doing small quantities it makes sense, but order $1,000+, I find it better to use wire transfer as the card benefits won't outweigh the 5% fees. The additional protection from scammers may be worth it while you build a relationship with your supplier though.

No, I'm not doing anything differently. It will cost me alot to stock product there but I'd still rather have too much than not enough.

My products will cost me $1/unit to store in December.

My costs/unit is right around the same with my inventory, but this is my first holiday season. I have products coming in early October which should carry me though January/Feb.

I know the warehouses get backed up during the holidays. Would you recommend sending Nov/Dec inventory at the same time and eat the costs for storage, or have two shipments arrive at the warehouse slated for Late October and Late November? Thanks!

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Most suppliers that I have worked with have allowed me to use paypal for sample orders, but prefer wire transfer for large quantities. If they accept paypal for your large order, you'll be charged for the 4%-5% paypal fees as opposed to $50 for a wire transfer. If you are doing small quantities it makes sense, but order $1,000+, I find it better to use wire transfer as the card benefits won't outweigh the 5% fees. The additional protection from scammers may be worth it while you build a relationship with your supplier though.

My costs/unit is right around the same with my inventory, but this is my first holiday season. I have products coming in early October which should carry me though January/Feb.

I know the warehouses get backed up during the holidays. Would you recommend sending Nov/Dec inventory at the same time and eat the costs for storage, or have two shipments arrive at the warehouse slated for Late October and Late November? Thanks!

I try to get all my Xmas stuff there and checked in before November. I don't like shipping things there in December at all, but every year they sell more and we run out.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
Do you have a set strategy for sourcing products? I sell in the power products niche and find myself waking up and looking for new laptop charger models then I'll venture onto power tool batteries, camera chargers etc with no set routine.

I think it would be easier if I set up a specific strategy sourcing by product category or supplier maybe. Then maybe have a set day or time period for looking at competitors products.

If you don't sell in a specific niche I'd assume it would be even more difficult to decide where to start with no specific strategy.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Hi Kenric, When you say no or low competition, how are you gauging this?

I see some widgets that only have 30-40 listings total for say the long tail specific keywords like "long green trench digger" but the top 2 results have sellers who are ranked high in say Patio>Garden. I'm wondering if you can sell if you're not ranking (say rank 10000) or in this case do you have to rely on outside traffic or paid traffic like PPC because I highly doubt those keywords that I could rank #3 for is being searched very much.

I would have a much better product but I don't see how it will make a difference if it means buyers have to filter through 50,000 listings to find mine on page 20.

My friend took one of those AMZ courses and he chose a really really competitive niche but the product got every checkbox they suggested. He sold an item as common as a desk lamps. He was on page 30 when he started and made it up to maybe page 10 at one point but got hardly any organic traffic. He could've had the best lamp ever created with added value and features and priced it 50% less than the top guys but at such a low rank no one would even know that. He did manage to sell it all over a long time and ended up breaking even but continually had to fuel his sales with ppc which ate up his margins.

Question #2:

For your ecommerce store, particularly the one you started a long time ago.. you said you rank on google so that must be a great traffic driver. How does this brand do specific to amazon? Do you have any other form of driving traffic to this brand? I feel like if i can promote the store without amaz, then amz would just be a nice addition.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Do you have a set strategy for sourcing products? I sell in the power products niche and find myself waking up and looking for new laptop charger models then I'll venture onto power tool batteries, camera chargers etc with no set routine.

I think it would be easier if I set up a specific strategy sourcing by product category or supplier maybe. Then maybe have a set day or time period for looking at competitors products.

If you don't sell in a specific niche I'd assume it would be even more difficult to decide where to start with no specific strategy.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I don't have a set strategy, I'm just always looking.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Kenric, When you say no or low competition, how are you gauging this?

I see some widgets that only have 30-40 listings total for say the long tail specific keywords like "long green trench digger" but the top 2 results have sellers who are ranked high in say Patio>Garden. I'm wondering if you can sell if you're not ranking (say rank 10000) or in this case do you have to rely on outside traffic or paid traffic like PPC because I highly doubt those keywords that I could rank #3 for is being searched very much.

I would have a much better product but I don't see how it will make a difference if it means buyers have to filter through 50,000 listings to find mine on page 20.

My friend took one of those AMZ courses and he chose a really really competitive niche but the product got every checkbox they suggested. He sold an item as common as a desk lamps. He was on page 30 when he started and made it up to maybe page 10 at one point but got hardly any organic traffic. He could've had the best lamp ever created with added value and features and priced it 50% less than the top guys but at such a low rank no one would even know that. He did manage to sell it all over a long time and ended up breaking even but continually had to fuel his sales with ppc which ate up his margins.

Question #2:

For your ecommerce store, particularly the one you started a long time ago.. you said you rank on google so that must be a great traffic driver. How does this brand do specific to amazon? Do you have any other form of driving traffic to this brand? I feel like if i can promote the store without amaz, then amz would just be a nice addition.

If you had a great Trench Digger or your friend had a Really Cool Desk Lamp, you both could drive traffic to your Amazon listing through Facebook or other social media. If your products were priced 50% lower, they would get sales and eventually they'd creep to the front of Amazon. The problem is that your friend probably had a normal looking lamp and your trench digger was just another digger. You can get rankings on Amazon without using Amazon traffic. You need to get visibility outside of Amazon first to then get visibility inside Amazon.

Because of this, you need to differentiate by alot if you are in a competitive niche.

Or, you can choose a non-competitive niche and slowly make your way to the front. I don't know if people search long tail that much on Amazon. You don't need to be #1 or #2 on Amazon to sell, you really just need to be on page 1 or 2 and you will get decent traffic. If you are on page 2, a simply drop in price can increase sales and boost you to the first page.

My Ecommerce store names are not related to my brand. My store is called Shoes, not Nike. But my Nike stuff sells decent on Amazon. I'm sure people find Nike in my store and then buy on Amazon.

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
If you had a great Trench Digger or your friend had a Really Cool Desk Lamp, you both could drive traffic to your Amazon listing through Facebook or other social media. If your products were priced 50% lower, they would get sales and eventually they'd creep to the front of Amazon. The problem is that your friend probably had a normal looking lamp and your trench digger was just another digger. You can get rankings on Amazon without using Amazon traffic. You need to get visibility outside of Amazon first to then get visibility inside Amazon.

Because of this, you need to differentiate by alot if you are in a competitive niche.

Or, you can choose a non-competitive niche and slowly make your way to the front. I don't know if people search long tail that much on Amazon. You don't need to be #1 or #2 on Amazon to sell, you really just need to be on page 1 or 2 and you will get decent traffic. If you are on page 2, a simply drop in price can increase sales and boost you to the first page.

My Ecommerce store names are not related to my brand. My store is called Shoes, not Nike. But my Nike stuff sells decent on Amazon. I'm sure people find Nike in my store and then buy on Amazon.

Thanks dude. Very helpful thread.

AlexCph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 24, 2016
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Thanks so much for this thread and sharing all your knowledge. I know it must be very time consuming and I hope to be able to pay it all back one day. The biggest takeaway Im getting from this thread is that things dont really have to be very complicated. I love bio's philosophy about simply adding value by improving products or selling products that can fill a certain that need. Its really all that it comes down to and if you focus on this most of all, the rest will follow.

I do have one question. Ive ordered Walter Hays ebook about importing from China. After buying it I saw that he is selling an Amazon Course as well. Did anyone here buy this course or could give me more details about wether its worth it? Thanks.

AlexCph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 24, 2016
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Also, can anyone recommend any other threads that would be great to read regarding e-commerce and/or exporting from Thailand or Southeast Asia?

tp55

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 6, 2016
Hi Biophase - thanks for the tremendous insight; just read through 30+ pages of gold.

Had a question about the degree of modifications you've been able to get from manufactures for the product's you've improved upon. What's the most complex change, or series of changes that you've been able to get? And how iterative was the process with the vendor? Could additional, more drastic changes be accomplished over multiple product cycles?

I saw that you've been able to get logos added, alter the designs, etc for your products but I'm curious as how to get slightly more involved. My friend and I have found a niche market that we're into and wanted to design and source a simple product. For example, if we enjoy raising reptiles and wanted to build a custom box for lizards made of acrylic, with a light and humidifier built in, should we source individual manufactures for each component and find those who can custom build enclosures for each component according to CAD designs? Then assembly the whole thing ourselves? (Doesn't seem scaleable). Eventually, I'd want something that could snap together to save on shipping cost..but this would require re-engineering everything?

Thanks for your experience n help!
Jason

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Biophase - thanks for the tremendous insight; just read through 30+ pages of gold.

Had a question about the degree of modifications you've been able to get from manufactures for the product's you've improved upon. What's the most complex change, or series of changes that you've been able to get? And how iterative was the process with the vendor? Could additional, more drastic changes be accomplished over multiple product cycles?

I saw that you've been able to get logos added, alter the designs, etc for your products but I'm curious as how to get slightly more involved. My friend and I have found a niche market that we're into and wanted to design and source a simple product. For example, if we enjoy raising reptiles and wanted to build a custom box for lizards made of acrylic, with a light and humidifier built in, should we source individual manufactures for each component and find those who can custom build enclosures for each component according to CAD designs? Then assembly the whole thing ourselves? (Doesn't seem scaleable). Eventually, I'd want something that could snap together to save on shipping cost..but this would require re-engineering everything?

Thanks for your experience n help!
Jason

Acrylic is chemically bonded together right? How similar is your box to a custom fish tank? So you want to put a heat light on top, so you'd have a custom hood. I would assemble it yourself to start.

The question I would really ask is will people want your custom box or do they just want a glass fish tank with a lamp on top and a bowl of water inside it?

I'd concentrate on a smaller product, maybe make your own humidifier?

tp55

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 6, 2016
Acrylic is chemically bonded together right? How similar is your box to a custom fish tank? So you want to put a heat light on top, so you'd have a custom hood. I would assemble it yourself to start.

The question I would really ask is will people want your custom box or do they just want a glass fish tank with a lamp on top and a bowl of water inside it?

I'd concentrate on a smaller product, maybe make your own humidifier?

thanks for the quick response. sure, any old see through container might work but this one's gunna be the best ;)
i get your point on keeping it simple - goal was to branch into additional- related, axillary, lifestyle products too... instead of blowing out a small niche one by one (as process) - how would one piece together multiple components? ty!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
thanks for the quick response. sure, any old see through container might work but this one's gunna be the best ;)
i get your point on keeping it simple - goal was to branch into additional- related, axillary, lifestyle products too... instead of blowing out a small niche one by one (as process) - how would one piece together multiple components? ty!

Everyone think's their's is going to be the best. Just wondering, how you know? Acrylic isn't cheap and it's not easy to work with.

What do you mean by piece together multiple components? Give me an example.

Last edited:

Denim Chicken

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Jun 5, 2010
California
Have you ever encountered a situation where you see a product you can import but rather than modifying it and making it better, you can add value through instruction or content? I see a product that I can import without really any need for improvement. There are 3 other sellers who are already selling on amazon but their ratings are bad, like 2.5/5 and most of the complaints are due to, in my personal opinion, misuse or ignorance of how to use the product to make it last. theyre complaining it's bad quality but as a user of the product myself, I dont see how it can be destroyed so quickly unless you're not using it correctly or abusing it.

I can take this product and spend money trying to make it better but rather than trying to make it out of tougher materials, or changing something, I was thinking of releasing an free instructional video(s) to demonstrate how to use it.

This adds a layer of barrier of entry to this product but if the other sellers really wanted to copy, they can also release videos. It would be a matter of who has better content in that case. I think amazon only allows 1 short product video though (I'm not sure about this) so it may be an Instructional video posted on youtube or privately on a server that people will get with a purchase of the good. But that would come AFTER the purchase, not before which will not help me sell the product.

Thoughts?

I'd also like to add that there are less than 100 total sellers for a specific long tail search, think "checkered pillowcases queen size" instead of "pillow cases". With the top 2 being ranked well in the main category and the 3rd guy is just a normal reseller with bad reviews. Not sure if it'll sell at all

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Have you ever encountered a situation where you see a product you can import but rather than modifying it and making it better, you can add value through instruction or content? I see a product that I can import without really any need for improvement. There are 3 other sellers who are already selling on amazon but their ratings are bad, like 2.5/5 and most of the complaints are due to, in my personal opinion, misuse or ignorance of how to use the product to make it last. theyre complaining it's bad quality but as a user of the product myself, I dont see how it can be destroyed so quickly unless you're not using it correctly or abusing it.

There are some products that you can compete on by just better photos and descriptions. Are the 3 other sellers just bad at listing their product?

N.Entrepreneur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 3, 2013
Boston, MA
Bio - great thread.

Quick question on your product selection mindset. Are you still working with some products that you are simply importing and re-selling via Amazon without much value add / modification? I.E. finding a product with a good margin, low competitive niche, listing these with good photos and trying to gain some market share with a few top sellers?

I'm currently reading everything on importing and reselling on Amazon and it seems there is a split between people who spend their time doing the above vs. people who are only putting an investment in a value add product.

I am looking to do my first sample order btw, so I am wondering which you would recommend for someone just getting on the bandwagon now.

Thanks for your help!

Sevlow9

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Sep 17, 2015
@biophase i believe i have finally found a product i can improve, but its from a purely cosmetic standpoint. From reading the reviews everyone seems to be happy on the functionality.

The ways i feel i could add value is make it look cooler, more aero dynamic, waterproof, offer more resistance settings to name a few. However there is one brand already selling this at 100 reviews which is the highest review rating on page 1, but their model is basically the same generic model everyone else is selling except theirs is branded a bit better.

I believe their is a big market for this product and the competitors are under utilizing marketing/social media. Do you think i should choose this product even though i cant really improve the functionality but only the shape and design and are going against one brand in this niche? kind of hard to explain, would be better if i could pm you a screen shot of the product on amazon and let me know what you think?

any help would be amazing, thanks.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
I want to get un gated for grocery on Amazon. I have a single product in mind with high sales, but heavy competition as well. It is a product without a really clear brand leader. My landed cost on this item is 14/lt, Amazon sellers hover around 50-60+ a liter. My cost is almost assuredly lower than even the large scale importers due to me leveraging a sourcing connection in a different country of origin.

Reading through Amazon requirements, I'm a little confused about the commercial invoice requirements. I was told I need 3 invoices with several items in grocery above standard personal usage amounts. I really only intend on selling a single item, in one size. I already purchase this item in multi skid quantity from the sole manufacturing company of this product. Should I add an additional size to satisfy their requirements or would I be okay? I was told you only ever get one chance to get ungated and if you fail you are done. I would really like to do this properly the first time. I add my own label onto the product , branding it myself.

Mr_Maravish

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Jul 7, 2015
Hey Kenric,

Question regarding the Amazon UPC label, do you ever print the UPC as part of the product label, or do you stick it on to the final product?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.