The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

When is it ever okay to comfortable in the slowlane?

G

GuestUserX09

@Sanj Modha its so weird because I've been so convinced that reaching for the 'grand prize' was the only way to live.

I'm starting to think this shine and comfort will wear off within a year or two. I'm not hanging up my hat just yet.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUserX09

@eTox I didn't occur to me until I made this thread but I believe you are spot on. It was seem like a perfect 'finish line' for now.. But I'm sure within a couple of years from now, I'll get the itch to build something and live the life I really am reaching for soon enough.

I'll call it a much needed pit stop for now. Or a mental vacation maybe.

G

GuestUserX09

Also, are you ok with 2-3 weeks of vacation every year? This was probably the biggest reason I hated work. I would have taken 75% pay to work 9 months out of the year. Wasting my years in an office at a job was just eating away at me.

Think that's exactly it- I seem fine with everything besides the fact my time is trapped at one place, little vacation and room to do what I want. And also the fact the company could go upside down at any moment. I think that's where I draw the line in the sand. Those points seem to enough for me to continue to build something of my own.

G

GuestUserX09

To me, the Fastlane is about having the ability to enjoy 100% of your life.

That's exactly it. I think I'm part way there, but I shouldn't be satisfied without reaching 100% of my lifestyle goals. All I needed to do is tally it all up, I see it clearly with no problem now after reading several of these responses.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
@Sanj Modha its so weird because I've been so convinced that reaching for the 'grand prize' was the only way to live.

I'm starting to think this shine and comfort will wear off within a year or two. I'm not hanging up my hat just yet.

I will always be ambitious. It's not about the money for me. It's about the options. I'm currently living and travelling from India. With an internet connection, I can work from anywhere.

I'm happy with being comfortable. I don't care about pools, flash cars or fast women. I like experiences over anything.

G

GuestUserX09

Well, FLF came in the clutch.. to summarize my takeaways to these responses:

The slowlane does comes with a pair of blinders, like a horse pulled carriage. It'll give you nearly everything you want and give you a good reason to forget the rest of your real goals in the peripheral.

With that said, the middle class trap is indeed a trap. A very good one. It creates a false like dream lifestyle inside of reality, just enough so you won't figure out that you're missing something until you're 65 and having regrets. I've heard this numerous times but seeing it in person is shocking.

I'll of course keep and love my slowlane job, but I have a person duty to myself to chase the rest of my goals- time and security. Both of which aren't fulfilled enough for me to take the gloves off just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GuestUserX09

@Sanj Modha exactly, that's how I'd like ideally. It's that freedom factor that got me hooked on entrepreneurship and the facts are that I still don't have it.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Well, FLF came in the clutch.. to summarize my takeaways to these responses:

The slowlane does comes with a pair of blinders, like a horse pulled carriage. It'll give you nearly everything you want and give you a good reason to forget the rest of your real goals in the peripheral.

With that said, the middle class trap is indeed a trap. A very good one. It creates a false like dream lifestyle inside of reality, just enough so you won't figure out that you're missing something until you're 65 and having regrets. I've heard this numerous times but seeing it in person is shocking.

I'll of course keep and love my slowlane job, but I have a person duty to myself to chase the rest of my goals- time and security. Both of which aren't fulfilled enough for me to take the gloves off just yet.

Amazing!!

Go to work excel and when you get home KILL IT and work some more. Because if you do it long enough one day while your co workers will have nice cars a bmw, 2 weeks vacation etc, you'll be able to walk away for months at a time to truly live. Who knows if you love cars you might buy a Lamborghini or two!

Enjoy your success right now but KEEP PUSHING towards whatever your true goals are. Enjoy the process because the process cannot be skipped nor ignored.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
@Sanj Modha exactly, that's how I'd like ideally. It's that freedom factor that got me hooked on entrepreneurship and the facts are that I still don't have it.

Keep pushing. Overnight success takes years.

Every experience is a message. What's the story?

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
At the end of the day, no one can convince you otherwise. If you're happy with your slowlane job, then keep at it and live your life, no judgement here.

Others, I would say most, are not happy with a shitty, static pay cheque with 2/52 weeks a year of vacation time. Job security also, which never concerned me though because finding new jobs isn't hard if you're skilled in a particular industry. What hit me the most is the shitty pay you get out of working full time and wasting 40 hours a week in a miserable office plus 2-3 weeks of vacation a year doesn't cut it. Fastlane = Freedom, simple as that.

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
I like Gary Vaynerchuk's take on it which I were to boil it down is basically yeah go slowlane but don't ever start complaining about any aspect of it. If you are going to complain then you better bust you butt to get back on the fastlane.

I know for me my complaints about the slowlane are never ending so my purpose is clear.

G

GuestUserX09

@HoneyBadger I think the views I had in the original post are just temporary. I can say the temptation is real but it's not a place to truly settle at. I definitely see how some don't realize this until their life is almost over. I'll enjoy it for now but I'll be investing my spare time towards the fastlane (freedom) goals.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
I think you're in the honeymoon phase with the job right now, but if you're happy than by all means! Maybe try a side hustle and dedicate a few hours a day to it.

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
If I would spend my time on such nonsense, I would wake up and think "Someday I'll have a great body", "Someday I'll be a good singer", "Someday I'll write a good piece of poetry" and other things that are already accomplished in my life. Because instead of living a life to its fullest I would be working from 9 to 5.

People forget that "living a life to its fullest" is not about eating dishes at expensive restaurants or wearing designer clothes, not driving Lamborghini and not "being a millionaire". All of it doesn't worth shit if your life is substantially empty.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
Keep pushing. Overnight success takes years.

Every experience is a message. What's the story?

That hits home. You always get the experiences you need to develop and progress.

Ask the right questions. You'll find the answer why you are comfy and what to do with this insights.

(...even if I believe it will just be temporarily. You once came here for a reason!)

HoneyBadger

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
201%
Jul 14, 2016
Florida
@HoneyBadger I think the views I had in the original post are just temporary. I can say the temptation is real but it's not a place to truly settle at. I definitely see how some don't realize this until their life is almost over. I'll enjoy it for now but I'll be investing my spare time towards the fastlane (freedom) goals.

Yup - I know what you mean man. I have had my first cushy job for the last year and a half. I've received 3 raises and now make more than my parents did combined growing up (my family did not have a lot of money until my high school days and at that point they reached a typical middle class amount).

Anyways I say that to say for the first 6 months of this job I stopped all entrepreneurial activity. Then as my skills progressed and routine set in the same things that drove me to run my own thing since I was a teen showed back up.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
It can be great at first. I remember my first 'big boy' paycheque. But watch the comfort, for it can be a trap, and then all the wealth from the paycheque gets sucked into maintaining a lifestyle, and then you meet someone and settle down, or even have kids, and if you want to get back in the fastlane at that point there is less of a chance that it will happen, because there will be even more psychological pressure of you to be 'normal'. And normal means no freedom. It means an office job. It means 2 a weeks a year of vacation time and weekends numbing yourself with booze and media, and just wishing that if you can’t have freedom, then you could at least get a frontal lobotomy to clear out all the unfulfilled ambition.

This might be the fever talking. I’m at work pushing through it because we only get bonuses if we don’t use sickdays. And that’s money I can use to pay down debt/finance ecommerce initiatives in 2017. After I deliver on a better apartment, of course (though that will ultimately benefit me, as it should mean less spent on rent every month).

What I learned too late is this. Wealth is time and freedom. You can be broke as hell, but if you have time and your health and open eyes then you are a King and the world is yours to command. But if you are wealthy, but have no time to read or enjoy the sun, or have to spend most of life in a beige box then you have lost.

If you don’t feel this viscerally, in the gut, then congratulations! I mean that sincerely. Most people seem content with the 9-5 arrangement and I wish them well. But be sure when you choose it that you know what you are doing, because if you are not suited for this life then it quickly becomes a vision of fluorescent hell. I would gladly throw it away, and drastically decrease my living expenses, and try to learn hustle from the bottom-up, but I am not free. One person even having a partial dependence on you is all that it takes (one person that you love, I should add).

I wanted to be a white-collar professional, and for my sins they made me one.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Books can give you new perspectives on life that have not occurred to you.
That's what The Millionaire Fastlane did for me.
It defined happiness as Freedom,Health, and Family.
I think that's beautiful and have adopted that definition.

I agree 100%. And now, I don't say anything to them, but I look at people in shame when I see them wasting time; talking about video games and TV shows. I no longer have interest in those things.

Hac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 2, 2016
if you are content with YOUR life thats all that matters, i think. Some people don't care for wealth and are just grateful they have a roof over their head and a loving family, and are perfectly happy and pleasant people to be around. i admire them and i hope that happiness sustains them for the rest of their lives, somehow. But some people lie to themselves and say "i dont need money to be happy in life" and go back to watching TV and talking shit about those that are doing better than them. I pray for these people. Don't know where Im going with this, I just know that Im broke and that if i were in your shoes, i'd probably take a minute to let it soak in by taking a break from my extra-curricular activities to celebrate transitioning from the sidewalk to the slowlane. I'd also take the time to ask myself if i can do whatever it is you are doing now for the rest of your life.. or if it fits in with your "life goals" plan. Good luck!

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
@Vitom Im 100% sure that's not me. I do like some conveniences, etc. I never wanted to be very ornate and ostentatious.. But I want free time, seems that's my still missing factor to chase.

This.

It's not even about money or things, it's about TIME. You can't get it back, man!

It's best to be hungry while you are working your plan. Too easy to get comfortable with a paycheck.

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
That hits home. You always get the experiences you need to develop and progress.

Ask the right questions. You'll find the answer why you are comfy and what to do with this insights.

(...even if I believe it will just be temporarily. You once came here for a reason!)
Sounds a lot like Tony Robbins right there [emoji106]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.