The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Everything You Need to Know About Sales: Part 1

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you consider yourself a salesperson?

• Yes

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lukebrisbane

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Feb 19, 2014
Brisbane, Australia.
I wanted to ask afew better questions.

So I have the sales job, goal salary is 50k a year 100% commission, it's at a start up and i suppose i'm thankful for the experience.
My 2 questions.

So I remember reading from you the best industries for big paydays are construction, finance and healthcare was it? I'm in technology, I guess I want to focus on that since Scandinavia is sort of known for it. I might work this job for 3-6 months, have some sort of "heres what i did and can do" then hit up the bigger companies.

How do you find out if the sector/industry or company has the ability to provide those huge commission paydays, I'm looking at the position I got now and I really don't see how it can go above 80k even with hustle.

Also, you talked about going to venture capital presentations? what are these? All i can find is like business talks which would be shit for actually meeting the movers and shakers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
How to Sell Anything

Create an irresistible offer that does not need to be sold

This popped up on my YouTube feed.
I think some of the guys on this thread could benefit from this.
Reminds me of the @andyblack "different way to cold call" video.​

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I'm going to a PACE networking function next week. There will be local government, suppliers and commercial landlords present here in Australia. As a complete n00b in this space (I have zero network in commercial real estate/ construction) I am going as suggested with a bunch of business cards printed as "Business Development Professional" and handing them out to the suppliers to get commission based work.
I'm feeling a bit apprehensive since this is the big boy league now, and any tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

wolfie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Mar 10, 2015
Scottsdale
Whats up man. Love the recordings. Im currently selling an IT solution, more specifically in the Security Industry. We have a number of fortune 100 clients and im looking to blow these guys out of the water at this company.

My question is, whats the best script when talking to CTO/CISO etc. How do you talk to these guys? Keep it short and straight forward? I've got some push back from the "experienced" sales guy here in regards to this script. He doesn't like the "did i catch you at a bad time" because he thinks they will just hang up. Also im currently reading through SPIN selling so im not sure if they cover phone scripts later in the book. Thanks!

Hi NAME, its MY NAME from COMPANY, did I catch you at a bad time?

The reason for my call is this. I sent you a few emails within the last week about our PCI and security services and wanted to see if there was an opportunity to talk about earning your business.

Would you be comfortable spending just a few minutes with me on the phone now if I make it quick?

(proceed into some questions about their current solutions)

As a side note, this is a NECESSITY service, not a choice. All big companies need this service and currently have it. We just happen to be more efficient, cost effective and faster.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Whats up man. Love the recordings. Im currently selling an IT solution, more specifically in the Security Industry. We have a number of fortune 100 clients and im looking to blow these guys out of the water at this company.

The recordings work, because they allow me to tap into a stream of consciousness and lace the conversation with the full force of the near 100,000+ hours I have selling. It's not a skill or trinket of knowledge that I can totally communicate with text alone.

I know a guy that would ask me random questions about how to make money (a gym rat pumping himself full of steroids, apparently without concern for the potential health risks). At times, I would tell him that I could help him best by talking about his situation in real-time, on the phone.

His reply would always amuse me. He said he was too busy "hustling" to make time for the call. Yet, whenever @Ubermensch checked in with this guy, he was always broke.

That's a long way of me telling you what type of guy not to be.

Want some real answers? Hit me up, and let's talk like real salespeople do: on the phone.

My number's in my signature.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
This is typical, and calls to mind a response I got earlier in another thread.

@Vigilante may recall it.

Someone commented that, in most sales positions, the top earners make only low six figures: $100,000 - $200,000 per year.

Many sales positions do not allow for extremely high annual earnings. I would define "extreme" as $1,000,000 - $10,000,000+.

The arrangement I exclusively pursue, and would recommend to anyone capable of selling B2B, consists of eating only what you kill, like an actual predator in the wild.

Of the 500,000 people currently viewing this site, probably less than one percent deeply relate with my message. Such people don't post memes on forums about lions; they are lions - and do lion sh*t - in real life.

First, why set your goals so low? Only $300k - $500k... in an arena with five-figure and six-figure paydays, you only need a handful of deals to hit your goal.

What industry do you sell insurance? What types of companies are these c-suite guys running?

Because less than 1% of 1% is able to take the abuse and deal with that cash flow cycle long enough to witness those pay days. Love the idea of this thread but for most, true hardcore sales is a pipe dream.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
Because less than 1% of 1% is able to take the abuse and deal with that cash flow cycle long enough to witness those pay days. Love the idea of this thread but for most, true hardcore sales is a pipe dream.

@Omega

@axiom

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
@Ubermensch, I often see you talking about the Construction Industry and the vast market surrounding it.

Hypothetically speaking:

From a sales perspective, what areas of Construction would you get into if you had to sell in that industry? Heavy equipment, technology, services, etc... There are so many different sectors; residential, commercial, civil, structural, and industrial. For a newb robot with 15 years of construction experience, does the sector even really matter?

I have said this before, and I'll say it again: Focus on energy efficiency.

Energy efficiency is a subcategory of the construction industry. Under the subcategory of energy efficiency, you have many interesting fields: Insulation, LED lighting, window film, etc.

For commercial and residential applications, insulation installation yields energy reduction of up to 40%.

LED lighting and window also produce double-digit energy efficiency savings.

Construction and real estate are intricately related; without construction, there would be no real estate (besides land). Ergot, when you reduce energy consumption (energy is the highest cost for most commercial real estate facilities), the client enjoys a positively impact on NOI (net operating income), which directly correlates with increased property values.

In my opinion, in an industry like construction, you have to look for innovation, methods of doing business currently not widely adopted. Despite all of the craze about LED lighting, LED is still an immense and rapidly growing industry. The same can be true of most all energy efficiency technology.

The construction industry is a $1 Trillion market, just in the United States. Globally, it is $7,000,000,000,000 in total size, projected to grow to $10 Trillion by 2020. With that massive amount of money flowing around the globe, from owners to architects, owners to general contractors, general contractors to subcontractors, and subcontractors to material distributors and material distributors to manufacturers, how could you NOT find problems to solve, and inefficiencies to exploit?

I currently work as a Construction Engineer in a position where my income seems to be separated by my efforts. I could work my butt off one day, do nothing the next day and get paid the same.

With my hustle and work ethic, I feel as though I could better utilize my time and have my pay directly reflect the effort that I put in.

I work 60 hours weeks at my full time job and it seems like I could bring in a lot more cash if I focused the same amount of time in a sales related position.

... you get the point.

Thanks in advance

You have a great vantage point, because you work on the front lines. I imagine that you see the projects up close, and know the estimators in the estimating departments and the project managers in charge of procurement for materials and labor.

As you likely know, inefficiency is rife in the construction industry, as well as with commercial property managers and commercial property owners. Massive, gaping holes of inefficiency exist in this marketplace, because most of the people controlling the seven, eight, nine and even ten figure projects are employees that don't truly care about the bottom line in the same way that an owner of the project would. Therefore, the people doing the purchasing of materials and selecting the winning bids (for subcontracting and general contracting) often rely on nepotism, pre-existing relationships and "you-scratch-my-back-and-I'll-scratch-your-back" arrangements.

If only Chief Financial Officers knew just how much profit their staffs leave on the table on every project...

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Hey guys, I am new in the forum but have already got some nice reads and insights out of it. Just read a bit of this thread and I am going to check the audio material you guys provided.

Much appreciated, thanks ;)

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
Cool. I reached out to a company today that I found in tech that I think you'll be able to make six figures at which is my first goal. Will post updates about this here.

I've put together a CV and cover letter structure and would be awesome if someone would like to take a look and give specific pointers of improvement.

And maybe post the points here in the forum for others to learn from. I would like to see specific results posted here from testing all ideas mentioned in the recording. That would be really helpful.

Just curious if you ever found a good sales niche career in London?

ANR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 4, 2015
@Disruptor

Don't know what you're up to.

But I wouldn't recommend jumping into various things at the same time.

In my opinion, this works best...

That video just summed up the last 8 years of my life.

You have no idea how much I needed that.

Thank you.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
What's up guys.

I used to be the number 1 D2D salesman for solarcity (tesla) a couple years ago in Texas. Have a solar system donated in Africa and everything.

Had bad health problems and just getting back into it, but now in Phoenix, AZ.

Lots has changed, so it's time to keep scientifically testing my approach until I get that winning presentation again.

Anyone else in solar?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.