The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Defeating Competition

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Hey all.

I am trying to start a new app/website, and I was wondering.. Is it best to focus on what you want to do and the program/website/whatever you want to make, or should I be considering my competition?

I know with things like facebook, there was previously myspace etc. and facebook didn't care, they made something big no matter what competition was around.

Should I be doing research within my competitors, or stick to my own lane and focus on what I think the company should be?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Hey all.

I am trying to start a new app/website, and I was wondering.. Is it best to focus on what you want to do and the program/website/whatever you want to make, or should I be considering my competition?

I know with things like facebook, there was previously myspace etc. and facebook didn't care, they made something big no matter what competition was around.

Should I be doing research within my competitors, or stick to my own lane and focus on what I think the company should be?

You need sales, and for sales, you need a customer. I would focus not on your competitors, not what you think the company should be, or what you want to do, but what the customer wants. If the customer wants/needs something that the competitor is already providing perfectly, then perhaps you can find a way to compete on value, packaging, money back guarantee, website design, better copy, customer service, etc. If the competitor is not providing a perfect product/service, find ways to makes it better.

If you research that the competitor is not advertising/marketing to a certain space, locality, or target demographic, then you competing with them isn't all that important - you just need legitimate value + sales.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016
Look over your competitors, get some ideas from them, and forget about them.

Focus on better your business and don't think about your competitors. You'll beat them in time.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Look over your competitors, get some ideas from them, and forget about them.

Focus on better your business and don't think about your competitors. You'll beat them in time.
Is it a bad idea to create something alike a company that has billions of dollars in revenue?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Is it a bad idea to create something alike a company that has billions of dollars in revenue?

If you can add something extra (that's harder to steal) why not?

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
You need sales, and for sales, you need a customer. I would focus not on your competitors, not what you think the company should be, or what you want to do, but what the customer wants. If the customer wants/needs something that the competitor is already providing perfectly, then perhaps you can find a way to compete on value, packaging, money back guarantee, website design, better copy, customer service, etc. If the competitor is not providing a perfect product/service, find ways to makes it better.

If you research that the competitor is not advertising/marketing to a certain space, locality, or target demographic, then you competing with them isn't all that important - you just need legitimate value + sales.
Effectively this.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners.

Exactly. Winners create, competitors compete.
Commoditized approaches get commoditized rewards.

Use them as inspiration or a reference but don't use them for your approach.

Much better to look outside your niche for what works well in parallel industries and adjust that to your area.

TheGrind

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 20, 2016

If you can do it better than them (or at least position yourself as doing it better than them) then no.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
You could use your competitors weak points as a foundation for your strengths. Google their reviews - look for 1-star reviews and reoccurring complaints. Also have a read of the 22 immutable laws of marketing & blue ocean strategy.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Most traditional guys will tell you to know your competition as if they are your opponents. Guys like Sam Walton going into other people's stores with a tape measure and noting the distances between products.

Then you have guys like Gary Vaynerchuck who says the competition is irrelevant. Listen to your customers and they'll tell you everything they want.

Competition is less relevant with the speed at which technology gives us answers. That's not to say, you can't get an idea or two from the other side.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on winners.

sddefault.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.