The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Human Longevity Breakthroughs, Resources, and Websites

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I remember this interview i saw recently of Peter Thiel.
He was asked by Tim Ferriss what is a problem he thinks about every day that need to be solved.

His answer was aging.
And he said he is amazed that not much work is being conducted for a problem that unanimously all 7 billion population in the world faces.

Yes, Peter Thiel is on board with defeating death and is quite open about it. He has multiple companies working on defeating death via technology and funds others working for cures for aging. He's not the only billionaire who backs companies dedicated to defeating death or extending lifespan either.

Technically there are a lot of people working on the problem, but overall not that many entrepreneurs.

Most people in the world don't understand how different today is from 20 or 40 years ago.
Most don't understand that aging has already been reversed and human trials are taking place right now.
Most don't think they want to live longer or forever because society beat into their head that death is "good."
Most entrepreneurs don't know much about bioscience or nanotech or anything beyond coding, so they don't bother.

For smart entrepreneurs these fields are ripe for the picking. Don't even need to know that much. All you gotta do is be the guy who starts the company and hires smart scientists and technologists to work on the rest.

When I last talked to Bill Fallon (Founder of Life Extension Pharmaceuticals) his advice to me was "bring smart people together." That's what made him a multi-millionaire.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I remember this interview i saw recently of Peter Thiel.
He was asked by Tim Ferriss what is a problem he thinks about every day that need to be solved.

His answer was aging.
And he said he is amazed that not much work is being conducted for a problem that unanimously all 7 billion population in the world faces.

Here's a video for you.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Not sure if I posted this already (can't see it if I did).

CRISPR Targets Cancer in First Human Trial — What You Need to Know

It’s happening: as early as later this year, the gene-editing power tool CRISPR could be used in its first ever human trial.

On Tuesday June 21, an advisory panel from the National Institute of Health (NIH) green lighted a proposal to use the game changing technique to tackle three different kinds of cancer. Scientists at the University of Pennsylvania (UPenn), who are spearheading the small trial, hope to use the technique to edit genes in a patient’s own immune cells, reprogramming them to recognize and attack cancer at the first signs of growth.

In an eyebrow-raising twist, the trial is funded by former Facebook president Sean Parker. Earlier this year, Parker announced a $250 million foundation aimed at uniting immunotherapy researchers to “solve cancer.”

More in the link below:

http://singularityhub.com/2016/06/2...r-in-first-human-trial-what-you-need-to-know/

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
This video is the full version of the Michio Kaku one I posted previously. Ray Kurzweil is also in it.

If you watched the Michio Kaku part, skip to about 40mins or so to get the Ray Kurzweil segment, and the Q&A at the end.

There are also some business lessons in this video.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
There is a new book out called; "Cracking the Ageing Code". I haven't read it yet, but if these 2 articles below are anything to go by it should be very interesting.

The below article is the preface of the book:

https://scienceblog.com/484749/preface-cracking-aging-code-josh-mitteldorf-dorion-sagan/

And here is another article with some other excerpts in it:

http://3tags.org/article/cracking-the-aging-code-why-aging-isnt-inevitable

Another book added to my increasingly long to buy list.

Side note: My first Longevity/Transhuman business is almost ready for launch. Its just a T-shirt biz though so don't get too excited :D.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
There is a new book out called; "Cracking the Ageing Code". I haven't read it yet, but if these 2 articles below are anything to go by it should be very interesting.

The below article is the preface of the book:

https://scienceblog.com/484749/preface-cracking-aging-code-josh-mitteldorf-dorion-sagan/

And here is another article with some other excerpts in it:

http://3tags.org/article/cracking-the-aging-code-why-aging-isnt-inevitable

Another book added to my increasingly long to buy list.

Side note: My first Longevity/Transhuman business is almost ready for launch. Its just a T-shirt biz though so don't get too excited :D.

That book is on my reading list too.

Lemme know when your t-shirt biz is up and running if you want.

May be opportunity to work together in the near future.

My goals have shifted almost entirely to matters of life-extension & longevity related business.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
That book is on my reading list too.

Lemme know when your t-shirt biz is up and running if you want.

May be opportunity to work together in the near future.

My goals have shifted almost entirely to matters of life-extension & longevity related business.

Cool! My "to read" list is getting stupidly big now haha.

It's coming along, only put 2 simple designs up so far, you can find it here: https://transhuman.threadless.com/
Might migrate it to my own eCommerce store eventually too, but wanted to get something up and running first. Setting the shop up was my main goal.
I've also registered a related domain name to use for a blog/promotional tool, that's got a theme installed and is ready for me to start adding content.
This can also be switched to the eCommerce store if/when needed.

I want to use this as an awareness thing to begin with. Not entirely sure how to set it up to also give back to the various charities and researchers just yet. I know for sure that the first $30 profit made from that store is going to OncoSENS Ctrl+Alt+Delete Cancer campaign on lifespan.io. Not sure how to work the rest of it yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

That would be cool for sure!

My goals have shifted recently also, my "bigger than myself" goal is now this. The t-shirt business is just be the start.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I want to use this as an awareness thing to begin with. Not entirely sure how to set it up to also give back to the various charities and researchers just yet. I know for sure that the first $30 profit made from that store is going to OncoSENS Ctrl+Alt+Delete Cancer campaign on lifespan.io. Not sure how to work the rest of it yet. I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Shouldn't be too much trouble, especially if you end up migrating it all to your own website.

I worked with SENS in the past for donations and they just wanted them sent by PayPal through the link on their site.

Just be sure to record whatever you donate for tax purposes later on.

I'm running a blog now that's gaining traction, and plan to add shirts too, so I'm sure we can cross promote when we're ready.

I'll probably focus more on cryonics, but have stuff in the works toward longevity too.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Shouldn't be too much trouble, especially if you end up migrating it all to your own website.

I worked with SENS in the past for donations and they just wanted them sent by PayPal through the link on their site.

Just be sure to record whatever you donate for tax purposes later on.

I'm running a blog now that's gaining traction, and plan to add shirts too, so I'm sure we can cross promote when we're ready.

I'll probably focus more on cryonics, but have stuff in the works toward longevity too.

Yeah it shouldn't be too hard. I need to secure better hosting too is one of the first priorities.

What I was initially thinking was doing this:

$10 markup on each product.
$2 goes to SENS.
$2 goes to MFoundation.org
$2 goes to Lifespan.io current projects.
$2 goes to another charity/organisation (not picked yet), or my cryonics fund.
$2 goes to me to run the site, and my own expenses/time etc.

But I'm not sure that is the best way to work it to begin with. I'll probably overlook something and get taxed to the eyeballs, or need to register as a Non-profit / NGO or something in order to do it properly.

I think awareness needs to be first. So I might collect the profits and do what I can with it that way. Maybe do book giveaways, free t-shirts every so often, and some other stuff along them lines. Then further down the line do more donating when more people are aware.

The blog sounds interesting, I'm sure we can figure something out!

I'm not sure where to focus yet, just doing 2 things I know I can to begin with (the other is still in planning mode ATM, but shouldn't take too long to build).

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Found this today via Ray and Terry's scoop.it site. I don't currently own any wearables/smart tech but this article might change that.

Top 10 Healthcare Wearables For A Healthy Lifestyle

There are thousands of devices and gadgets on the healthcare wearable market which could help you live a healthier and better life, although it is not easy to choose. Let me show you my top choices when it comes to health wearables and trackers.

The article covers; sleep, fitness, stress, blood pressure, weight, heart monitors, body temp, meditation, and more.

http://medicalfuturist.com/2016/07/01/top-healthcare-wearables/

From the end of the article:

A mistake people often make when wanting to use technology to live better is rushing to buy a wearable device. Devising a way to optimize your life is up to you. A wearable can only show you data, which won’t be actionable if you don’t know what should be changed. I advise you to start by scoring your mental, physical and emotional health in a simple Excel or Google spreadsheet. Despite my numerous devices, I still use such a spreadsheet every day. It helped me to understand how my body works, and understanding the problem itself is the first step towards the solution. Living better starts with vigilance about our health rather than using technology.

Sounds like good advice to me, you can also use it for your business endeavours.

http://medicalfuturist.com = Another site added to my bookmarks.

He's also got a book called: The Guide to the Future of Medicine: Technology AND The Human Touch, which is bound to be interesting.

NOTE: If you sign up to his newsletter, he sends you a guide titled "40 trends driving the future of medicine" which looks interesting too.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
DARPA-developed next-generation bionic arm hits the market

The next generation in prosthetic arms will soon be helping amputees get a grip in the real world. The LUKE arm, which was previously known as the Deka Arm, was developed under DARPA's Revolutionizing Prosthetics program by DEKA Research & Development Corp. It received marketing approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2014 and is now set to hit the market later this year.

As we've reported previously, the DEKA arm is the first prosthetic arm set approved for commercial markets that translates signals from a patient's muscles into complex motions. Rechristened the LUKE (Life Under Kinetic Evolution) arm by medical device maker Mobius Bionics, which will bring it to market with Universal Instruments Corporation as contract manufacturer, the prosthetic will be the first in a new product category for integrated prosthetic arms.

Full Article: http://www.gizmag.com/darpa-deka-luke-prosthetic-arm-mobius/44267/

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Michael Greve Pledges $10 Million to SENS Rejuvenation Research and Development

This is cool for Fastlaners on multiple levels. Not only is it good toward longevity, but for startups who want to work toward longevity. To bad there's only like 3 people following this thread. Guess that's what it means to be the 1% of the 1%. :D

"Michael Greve is an internet entrepreneur turned venture capitalist with a long-standing interest in aging and longevity, and today he has pledged $10 million in support of SENS rejuvenation research: $5 million for the science, and a further $5 million to fund startups for clinical development. This money will help speed the development of therapies that can repair the forms of cell and tissue damage that cause aging, and thus prevent age-related disease, rejuvenate the old, and significantly extend healthy life spans. Michael Greve runs the Forever Healthy Foundation and the Kizoo venture fund, and has become ever more involved in the SENS rejuvenation research community over the past few years. If you attended any of the recent SENS conferences you might have met him. He was one of the generous matching fund donors for last year's Fight Aging! SENS fundraiser, and this year his venture fund has invested in companies Oisin Biotechnology and Ichor Therapeutics, both of which are carrying out the clinical development of biotechnologies relevant to the SENS approach.

I'm very pleased to see that Michael Greve has now joined the ranks of those who have committed a significant amount of funding to SENS research, alongside Aubrey de Grey, Peter Thiel, and Jason Hope. As more people in the venture community demonstrate their public, material support for this path forward, I think that we're going to see greater interest from that quarter. This is something that the SENS Research Foundation has been building towards since its inception, as it is no accident that the organization is headquartered in the Bay Area. The $5 million that Greve has pledged to research will be the founding donation for Project|21, which is the new SENS Research Foundation high-level fundraising program aiming to pull in exactly this sort of support: millions for specific programs, to complete the first prototype SENS rejuvenation therapies and push this industry into existence. You'll be hearing a lot more of this in the years ahead.

As you look at this important step forward in the movement to bring aging under medical control, consider that we all helped to make this happen, to persuade people like Michael Greve that this is the right place to invest in progress. Without the community of grassroots support and activism, without our voices and our own modest donations, without the writing and the crowdfunding and the discussions, without the simple step of talking to your friends about ending aging, we could never have gained the interest of people who can devote millions to the causes they believe in. A movement is a process, a collaboration. Today we can celebrate, and I think it is clear that this is but the start of far greater growth and success to come in the years ahead."

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Michael Greve rocks!

The store is coming along quite nicely: http://transhuman.threadless.com

No sales yet, but I've only just started. I've got the blog setup and have re-purposed an old Twitter account to go with it too.

In other news:

Pomegranate finally reveals its powerful anti-aging secret

Are pomegranates really the superfood we've been led to believe will counteract the aging process? Up to now, scientific proof has been fairly weak. And some controversial marketing tactics have led to skepticism as well. A team of scientists from EPFL and the company Amazentis wanted to explore the issue by taking a closer look at the secrets of this plump pink fruit. They discovered that a molecule in pomegranates, transformed by microbes in the gut, enables muscle cells to protect themselves against one of the major causes of aging. In nematodes and rodents, the effect is nothing short of amazing. Human clinical trials are currently underway, but these initial findings have already been published in the journal Nature Medicine.

As we age, our cells increasingly struggle to recycle their powerhouses. Called mitochondria, these inner compartments are no longer able to carry out their vital function, thus accumulate in the cell. This degradation affects the health of many tissues, including muscles, which gradually weaken over the years. A buildup of dysfunctional mitochondria is also suspected of playing a role in other diseases of aging, such as Parkinson's disease.

One molecule plays David against the Goliath of aging

The scientists identified a molecule that, all by itself, managed to re-establish the cell's ability to recycle the components of the defective mitochondria: urolithin A. "It's the only known molecule that can relaunch the mitochondrial clean-up process, otherwise known as mitophagy," says Patrick Aebischer, co-author on the study. "It's a completely natural substance, and its effect is powerful and measurable."

The team started out by testing their hypothesis on the usual suspect: the nematode C. elegans. It's a favorite test subject among aging experts, because after just 8-10 days it's already considered elderly. The lifespan of worms exposed to urolithin A increased by more than 45% compared with the control group.

These initial encouraging results led the team to test the molecule on animals that have more in common with humans. In the rodent studies, like with C. elegans, a significant reduction in the number of mitochondria was observed, indicating that a robust cellular recycling process was taking place. Older mice, around two years of age, showed 42% better endurance while running than equally old mice in the control group.

Full aricle: http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-07-pomegranate-reveals-powerful-anti-aging-secret.html

Time to eat more Pomegranites (Walnuts too).

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
The first ever dementia vaccine could be trialled in humans within 3 years

Scientists working in the US and Australia have made progress on a vaccine candidate that could prevent and, in some cases, even reverse, the onset of dementia, Alzheimer's, and other related diseases.

This could be a big deal in the treatment of these diseases, seeing as the new drug is able to specifically target the tau proteins and abnormal beta-amyloid that can build up and cause Alzheimer's.

Even better, it could be ready for human trials in as little as two to three years, according to researcher Nikolai Petrovsky from Flinders University in Australia.

"If we are successful in preclinical trials, in three to five years we could be well on the way to one of the most important developments in recent medical history,"

More here: http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...e-that-could-reverse-dementia-and-alzheimer-s

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Man I really hope they solve that one soon.

Dementia and Alzhiemers are the worst!

Hope I never have to go through that either from a spectator position or by direct experience!!!

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
It's already been mentioned, but roguehealthandfitness.com gets my vote. Mangan really seems to understand how to find the right data and interpret it.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
It's already been mentioned, but roguehealthandfitness.com gets my vote. Mangan really seems to understand how to find the right data and interpret it.

I've added his blog to my Aggregator website which is here: http://talfeed.com

Still needs some work (mainly a few paid plugins). I'm taking a 2 prong approach with it, having technology an longevity sites on there.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
amazing info here. thank you all contributors

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Oh nos...if we live longer we'll be overpopulated...won't we?

cool video but man i don't trust bill and melinda gates foundation, lots of conspiracy theories around that shit like infected vaccination in africa etc etc to reduce population.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.