The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rich Dad Poor Dad.. The Wealthy Barber--- Fiction?

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey Guys

For the past 2-3 weeks I have been writing my own book that I wish to self publish. Since the time I have been writing, I have been absolutely crushing it with over 25,000 words in 11 days of work. I had a buddy of mine read some sections and said he loved the way it was written as it reminded him similar to MJ's book "The Millionaire Fastlane " in the notion that it felt like some one was talking to him and teaching him as he was reading. The more he read the more he wanted to find out more. Which is a good sign coming from a first time book writer, when your audience is liking your book, and getting some sort of value out of it as it encourages them to continue reading.

Recently, I have been at a little speed-bump with my book writing process as I have been doing some research with self-publishing vs. traditional publishing. I am pretty set on Self publishing and I have some ideas on how I am going to market and sell my book. As I was doing this, I was thinking about ways I could make my book better existing and thought wrapping a story around it would be ideal. Which comes to the idea of fiction vs. nonfiction.

Now,too back up a little here.... A massively successful book here in Canada that sold over 2 million copies, author David Chilton wrote "The Wealthy Barber". The books story is a fiction, as he is not a barber who cuts hair but rather used to be a stock broker. But yet, it's published under non-fiction...

The same could be said with Rich Dad Poor Dad book selling over 26 million copies, by Robert K. as there are allusions in the book and interviews stating the 'rich dad' does not exist. But yet its non-fiction published.

How could this be, a business book that is based around 'facts' and stories of the author are not true but are published under non-fiction? I have a feeling this does not really matter, but I am curious how this could be? Curious if some one could give some practical advice here, and tell me why this is the way it is?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

"prose writing that is based on facts, real events, and real people, such as biography or history."

I would count Rich Dad as non-fiction because the events aren't flat out false, and it has real people.

"literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people."

If you look at those two definitions, the bottom being fiction, you can tell that Rich Dad Poor Dad is more non-fiction than it is fiction.

Therefore, I'd classify it as non-fiction.Just my opinion, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in this area will correct me.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
"prose writing that is based on facts, real events, and real people, such as biography or history."

I would count Rich Dad as non-fiction because the events aren't flat out false, and it has real people.

"literature in the form of prose, especially short stories and novels, that describes imaginary events and people."

If you look at those two definitions, the bottom being fiction, you can tell that Rich Dad Poor Dad is more non-fiction than it is fiction.

Therefore, I'd classify it as non-fiction.Just my opinion, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable in this area will correct me.

So to emphasize. According to you, event though the characters are made up and the whole story is false under that matter, its still non-fiction because the KEY fundaments or lessons he teaches are non-fiction based?

G

Guest34764

So to emphasize. According to you, event though the characters are made up and the whole story is false under that matter, its still non-fiction because the KEY fundaments or lessons he teaches are non-fiction based?

I'm not sure if all the characters in RDPD are made up, but yes that's what I think.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
When Rich Dad, Poor Dad came out, people thought it as completely true, and Kiyosaki even said it was true. But then when people started doing some research and found that the facts didn't match the story, Kiyosaki subtly said that "Rich Dad" doesn't exist.
About 90% of the stories you've read in Rich dad are lies, as is just about everything else he says. However for some reason it's still widely regarded as a legit business book about real events.
You can fabricate all your experience and claim the stories in your book are true when the yreally aren't, and no one will question it for a long time, but if someone ever finds out you lied, you'll just look like a$$.

Not familiar with the story The Wealthy Barber, but have you ever considered that's just a title, and not really what the book is about?

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Not familiar with the story The Wealthy Barber, but have you ever considered that's just a title, and not really what the book is about?

Haha I am well aware of what the book is about : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wealthy_Barber --- you can read the plot on there....

Looking like an a$$... I don't know, I still think he is widely regarded and respected within the business community, but I can understand what you are saying though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.