The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[Need Help] Article on online marketing and web design. (Post-Production Stage)

Marketing, social media, advertising

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Recently, I finished an article and at this stage I want to fine-tune all of its aspects and make sure we'll target right people the right way.
First, the Article itself. It's a long read.
Website is currently in production, you are early viewers.

Second, critique the shit out of any line of text you want. We'll move on further to targeting, seo and all the other stuff once we finish with this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I really don't like your website's design. I'd hate it more if I were on a bigger screen.

I love the typography though.

Did... you seriously just shit on Hubspot's front page? It's not meant to be a landing page. It has a specific purpose: for people to learn more about Hubspot's offerings, not to sell people on a specific one. That's some serious hubris, man.

Here's my problem with your article. Your point #1 and #2 is better explained by Avinash Kaushik. The "bury me with my money" was about 50% lost on me. You made a good point about burying a business in expenses, but you said that the bury me with my money website was a better mechanism than most real businesses? Better mechanism for what? Page views?

I dunno, there's not much actionable info on this article. You make suppositions and don't back em up with anything except anecdotes that I can't even verify.

It's not a bad article, but I don't see how it helps me. And I'm a web consultant.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Your page took more than 1 second to load, so I closed the tab without waiting longer.

• Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
I really don't like your website's design. I'd hate it more if I were on a bigger screen.
I love the typography though.
Wow, thank you very much for your response, J. Funny accident, I actually wanted to take a name The J here at Fastlane, because it's my nickname everywhere else, but you've already taken it.

What do you dislike about our website? I ask, because if you like what we tried to avoid - we did it for a specific purpose. Our design will be a turn off for many of potential clients, but not for those who we try to target.
If you dislike the implementation - I'd love to hear more from you.
Loved to hear about typography, was an effort.

Did... you seriously just shit on Hubspot's front page? It's not meant to be a landing page. It has a specific purpose: for people to learn more about Hubspot's offerings, not to sell people on a specific one. That's some serious hubris, man.
Yes and no. Their whole website is so substandard that I would need hours to explain what's wrong, so I didn't even bother, waste of time.
And no, their front page doesn't surve any purpose. They don't have a clue how this page works and who it targets.

Here's my problem with your article. Your point #1 and #2 is better explained by Avinash Kaushik. The "bury me with my money" was about 50% lost on me. You made a good point about burying a business in expenses, but you said that the bury me with my money website was a better mechanism than most real businesses? Better mechanism for what? Page views?
Do you think it's necessarily bad? I read all books by Kaushik, but I'm not sure if I should dig into analytics deeper, because it's not what the article is about.
As for burymewithmymoney - it's a perfect mechanism for serving its purpose and being what it's intended to be.

I dunno, there's not much actionable info on this article. You make suppositions and don't back em up with anything except anecdotes that I can't even verify.
It's not a bad article, but I don't see how it helps me. And I'm a web consultant.
You actually gave me a great perspective on our whole business.
When we worked in Russia, we faced a similar situation with our video that we've used to win clients, locals said how they disliked the video, the narration, the content itself, but it gave us pre-convinced high profile clients with zero effort. So I think it's better to lose those we can't satisfy completely, to win those who we want to win.

Last edited:

SrGio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 25, 2016
This were my thoughts when browsing trough the page:
  • The title font is way to big. On my 13'' laptop, I can't see the whole title on the screen. Personally, I'd prefer to have the introduction (or in this case the purpose) above the fold.
  • I'd rewrite the purpose to make it more catchy (see
    at 7:20 for an example of what I mean).
  • Not sure if this is the best title, I'd try out a few different options.
  • The logo is very small, even smaller than the menu. That makes it difficult to read.
  • Table of content is not clickable
  • I like the text font and its size

• Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
This were my thoughts when browsing trough the page:
  • The title font is way to big. On my 13'' laptop, I can't see the whole title on the screen. Personally, I'd prefer to have the introduction (or in this case the purpose) above the fold.
It doesn't fit the screen horizontally or vertically?
Vertically it's meant to take a lot of space: https://pp.vk.me/c636830/v636830701/26773/c-4AT3AsP0w.jpg
I would appreciate if you post a screenshot.

I considered putting the purpose section first, but decided that it will be a preview exerpt on other pages.

I'd rewrite the purpose to make it more catchy.
Not sure if this is the best title, I'd try out a few different options.
Agree. I'll nail it and show then.
The logo is very small, even smaller than the menu. That makes it difficult to read.
Table of content is not clickable
First we didn't want to put a logo at all, in our case it's a distraction and it doesn't serve any purpose other than redirecting to homepage.
Regarding table of content, making it a scroll-to will make readers act tl;dr and actually use it, which is bad.

Thank you for the input, it's valuable.

Last edited:
  • Banned

devine

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Apr 16, 2015
Russia
Watched this video, idea is good and I'll rewrite the intro part, but this guy is so turned on cheap traffic and low quality audience that it's not even funny.

SrGio

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 25, 2016
It doesn't fit the screen horizontally or vertically?
Vertically it's meant to take a lot of space: https://pp.vk.me/c636830/v636830701/26773/c-4AT3AsP0w.jpg
I would appreciate if you post a screenshot.

This is how it looks on my screen: https://s31.postimg.org/6sqcpurqz/screen.png

Watched this video, idea is good and I'll rewrite the intro part, but this guy is so turned on cheap traffic and low quality audience that it's not even funny.

That's true. But he seems knows a thing or two about page optimization.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.