The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I trust this guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Hi,

I need some input on whether I should move forward with a business partnership.

The guy I'm working with, I have never met, and he is in another state. I found him, in a roundabout way, from this forum. Somebody posted a thread, linking to a thread that HE(the business partner) started...outlining his method of flipping items for profit.

So i noticed that he gave his phone # in the thread, and I called him up. Surprisingly he responded and we talked. I was only hoping to pick his brain, then he mentioned he bankrolls people (fronts the money) for deals their local area. Basically he fronts the cash, i do all the legwork, and we split the profit. I guess he does this with a bunch of people. Totally fine with me, as i need to build capital. Happy to learn and make some cash. The thread was very impressive, and I am inclined to believe he is legit, as far as successfully selling.

We talked throughout the week and last night i found a deal. He agreed it was good, and that we should pursue. He told me he would wire me the money through a moneygram service.

So here comes the main issue:

He then asked me for a copy of my drivers license. I immediately felt...red flag.

Told him i didn;t feel good about that, and he basically wouldn't budge.

I have many more details, but i wana keep this as short as possible. Any opinions? Is this shady?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi,

The guy I'm working with, I have never met, and he is in another state. I found him, in a roundabout way, from this forum. Somebody posted a thread, linking to a thread that HE(the business partner) started...outlining his method of flipping items for profit.

So i noticed that he gave his phone # in the thread, and I called him up. Sure enough he responded and we chatted. I was only hoping maybe to pick his brain. But then he mentioned he will bankroll people (front the money) for deals in your local area, in exchange for half the profit. Totally fine with me, as i need to build capital.

So after talking quite a bit throughout the week, we finally agreed on a certain deal. And he wants to wire me the money through a moneygram service. So here's he main question:

He asked me for a copy of my drivers license, and i immediately felt...red flag.

Told him as much, and as of now it doesn't seem he's willing to compromise. he's claiming it is like collateral, since he's putting money up.

I have many more details, but i wana keep this as short as possible. Any opinions?

Trust

Your

Gut

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Hi,

So i noticed that he gave his phone # in the thread, and I called him up. Surprisingly he responded and we talked. I was only hoping to pick his brain, then he mentioned he bankrolls people (fronts the money) for deals their local area. Basically he fronts the cash, i do all the legwork, and we split the profit. I guess he does this with a bunch of people. Totally fine with me, as i need to build capital. Happy to learn and make some cash. The thread was very impressive, and I am inclined to believe he is legit, as far as successfully selling.

We talked throughout the week and last night i found a deal. He agreed it was good, and that we should pursue. He told me he would wire me the money through a moneygram service.

So here comes the main issue:

He then asked me for a copy of my drivers license. I immediately felt...red flag.

Told him i didn;t feel good about that, and he basically wouldn't budge.

I have many more details, but i wana keep this as short as possible. Any opinions? Is this shady?
If you have to ask then the answer is no.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I'd lean towards no. As in no, I wouldn't trust the guy.

But from his angle, if he's sending you a lot of money and you two have never met, then he probably wants to confirm who you are in case you just steal his money.

Overall: This is a dumb business transaction for the both of you. Too much risk on both your end and his end.

My advice for you: Get a job. Save up some cash. Then use that to flip items. There's no reason you can't save up $5k and keep all the profit.

• Banned

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I'd lean towards no. As in no, I wouldn't trust the guy.

But from his angle, if he's sending you a lot of money and you two have never met, then he probably wants to confirm who you are in case you just steal his money.

Overall: This is a dumb business transaction for the both of you. Too much risk on both your end and his end.

My advice for you: Get a job. Save up some cash. Then use that to flip items. There's no reason you can't save up $5k and keep all the profit.

True, but the incentive is that hes got a dealers license, and we'd mainly be flipping vehicles

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
What?

I need money.

No I'm being serious. Most entrepreneurs just assume you need capital to start up. And most times you don't. What I'm saying is you're looking for a partner, presumably to give up 50% of your business just for some capital to start off your business that you may not even need.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
No I'm being serious. Most entrepreneurs just assume you need capital to start up. And most times you don't. What I'm saying is you're looking for a partner, presumably to give up 50% of your business just for some capital to start off your business that you may not even need.

Thanks for clarifying. Well the margins can be pretty good. It would be totally worthwhile to me, and the idea of getting another job makes me want to vomit

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Thanks for clarifying. Well the margins can be pretty good. It would be totally worthwhile to me, and the idea of getting another job makes me want to vomit

Ok so let's go theoretical here. Say this business goes crazy, takes off, ends up with a $10mill valuation. You now have to give 50% of that, $5mill to a guy who gave you say, $20,000 and had a dealers license. Kind of a bad deal.

For my business, could I get it started quicker and faster by borrowing money or getting an investor to hire an app developer? Sure could! But I don't want to give up control and percent of my business. Just something to think about

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Ok so let's go theoretical here. Say this business goes crazy, takes off, ends up with a $10mill valuation. You now have to give 50% of that, $5mill to a guy who gave you say, $20,000 and had a dealers license. Kind of a bad deal.

For my business, could I get it started quicker and faster by borrowing money or getting an investor to hire an app developer? Sure could! But I don't want to give up control and percent of my business. Just something to think about
I hear you, and i appreciate that perspective definitely. Crossed my mind.

However, i dont intend to go long term with the guy, it would be super non commital. I have a fastlane business in place, just no money and i just need to make some cash.

Basically i would have zero problem doing it if i didnt fear ID theft or something malicious with my personal info. And i cant think of a way to ease his mind that wouldnt involve my personal info.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Video call + notarized contract for both of you.

Treat it as you would any biz deal or transaction.

What's with all the emotions?

im cool with that. Im not emotional, just sorta wary and paranoid. And i really wana work with the dude based on what i know.

WIth a video though, what does that accomplish? Sincere question, is it just verify identity?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
im cool with that. Im not emotional, just sorta wary and paranoid. And i really wana work with the dude based on what i know.

WIth a video though, what does that accomplish? Sincere question, is it just verify identity?

How much would a cheap plane ticket cost you for a face to face? Meet him, feel him out, sign a legally binding contract.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
There is nobody on an online forum that will vouch for anyone. I don't trust anyone. Nobody is really interested, because it is between you and the other party. Your question is should you trust some undisclosed party that you met online? Is that really your question to a bunch of strangers?

Come on, man. You know the old addage that there are no stupid questions? Well... there are.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Seeing how they present themselves and reading body language.

It's the closes to you can get to them without actually traveling to their location.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
There is nobody on an online forum that will vouch for anyone. I don't trust anyone. Nobody is really interested, because it is between you and the other party. Your question is should you trust some undisclosed party that you met online? Is that really your question to a bunch of strangers?

Come on, man. You know the old addage that there are no stupid questions? Well... there are.

Dont really care if youre a celeb around here. Man i hate forum dudes like you. Feel better?

The question was specific, regarding whether releasing my ID is a justified concern. Seeing as how this is a forum, where, in theory, there's alot of business experience...i thought i'd get some thoughts. Not gonna justify myself to you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dont really care if youre a celeb around here. Man i hate forum dudes like you. Feel better?

The question was specific, regarding whether releasing my ID is a justified concern. Seeing as how this is a forum, where, in theory, there's alot of business experience...i thought i'd get some thoughts. Not gonna justify myself to you.

I think you should do it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
well, don't trust you either.

If I were you, I wouldn't trust me either. Why you would you?

I am just a random stranger on the internet on a forum that you just registered on today.

At least you don't trust me. That's a start. Now start extending that to the other people you randomly meet, and I'll have done you a favor through your disdain, even if you don't realize it (yet).

Or, go through with the transaction and learn that way. As I said... doesn't matter either way to anyone but you and the guy why wants your drivers license.

Good luck!

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If I were you, I wouldn't trust me either. Why you would you?

I am just a random stranger on the internet on a forum that you just registered on today.

At least you don't trust me. That's a start. Now start extending that to the other people you randomly meet, and I'll have done you a favor through your disdain, even if you don't realize it (yet).

Or, go through with the transaction and learn that way. As I said... doesn't matter either way to anyone but you and the guy why wants your drivers license.

Good luck!

As much as i'd love to fall into your frame of schooling me, i'm gonna resist. Let me impart a lesson to you, also. This post has your true sentiment, you could have led with that instead of being a condescending a**hole in your first post. Something to consider, since in a roundabout way, you eventually said something useful after pissing off a forum memeber asking a sincere question.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Glad you are here! Stop by and do an intro at the intro section. You also might want to pick up the book The Millionaire Fast Lane! You can grab the first three chapters free here : www.themillionairefastlane.com

Hope to see you around adding more value like this thread! You also might want to go back and click the LIKE button on the responses in this thread. That's the currency here by which you appreciate anyone that responded to your post, whether you agree with them or not.

Great first post!

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
So you come to a forum of strangers and ask them should you trust another third party stranger....and get upset because someone tells you their opinion? Plenty of people answered your question.

PS: you obviously care.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Glad you are here! Stop by and do an intro at the intro section. You also might want to pick up the book The Millionaire Fast Lane! You can grab the first three chapters free here : www.themillionairefastlane.com

Hope to see you around adding more value like this thread! You also might want to go back and click the LIKE button on the responses in this thread. That's the currency here by which you appreciate anyone that responded to your post, whether you agree with them or not.

Great first post!
Right, saw your original post on my email.. not this edited one.

Jesus, not looking for this high school shit man. Just a guy trying to figure out a situation i havent been in, and looking for a break. I don't get this shit on forums. People act like this space is F*cking sacred, its just an internet post, one of a billion on this large forum. And i guarantee it will be valuable to a similar situation someone is in, at some point. What is so damn sacred? Fed up with these people who just love to talk down to people.

Levitate Robotic

New Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
So you come to a forum of strangers and ask them should you trust another third party stranger....and get upset because someone tells you their opinion? Plenty of people answered your question.

PS: you obviously care.
Wrong dude. Just dont need the condescending attitude.

And no i was saying that because he's just being a child, sarcastically suggesting i go screw myself.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
Wrong dude. Just dont need the condescending attitude.

And no i was saying that because he's just being a child, sarcastically suggesting i go screw myself.

My advice if he wants your I'd get his ID, and everything in writing. If he screws you over atleast you have his info. Not much else we can suggest. The risk or lack thereof is strictly on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!