The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Dream... My Plan... My reasons...

Plank

That's not sawdust.. it's Man Glitter
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Jul 20, 2016
Tennesse
I have a bit of a problem with spreading myself too thin.
I will try to lay out my plans for a business.
My execution.
My fears.
What I've reconsidered since Listening to The Millionaire Fastlane .

My Idea is fairly straight forward, I am a Master carpenter, I've done other things over the years, but always come back to Carpentry/ Construction.

My Idea was/is fairly simple for those with certain skills
Build a Tiny House on a trailer as cheap as possible without sacrificing Beauty and usability.

Why?

I can build one fairly cheap and sell it for a good profit...
I really believe a self sufficient Tiny Home can help others with freedom! If they have family, or friends with land, even a small piece of land, or invested in there own. Someone could potentially use a self sufficient Tiny home to live without a power bill, water bill, mortgage etc. If someone were to spend the money they pay on rent or on a mortgage toward a small piece of land in the country. They could potentially live bill free once the cheap piece of land is paid off.

This means the slowlane worker could potentially keep most of what they bring home on Friday, rather than having 80% of what they make already spent before they get paid on housing, electric, water, etc.

I plan to make the tiny house energy efficient. "LED Lights, Propane on demand water heater, Batteries that can be recharged by plugging up somewhere or with solar panels. A water tank that will only require having a hose with filter attached tossed in a small lake or pond in order to refill. A nice composting toilet, etc."
So far I have the exterior of the first Tiny House completed "I still have my 9-5 job so I am building it as I can when I can."

Pics of Progress from buying old camper with good frame to current progress.

pm9Pv36mj
pnkFuGQEj
pnHef1SFj
poyX3ymJj
plQS1cmTj
pnRrn9jjj
pnFRAFzKj
pmoocbPxj
plN2BGqxj
plOil7xdj
pnG2ZfJUj
pnvyKx20j
pm2JPIbTj

I really Like the Idea but its kind of scary.
I started this before listening to "The Millionaire Fastlane "
I really love the book and it has changed my thinking.
Now I realize I need to change my business plans in order to make the business work for "Real money"

Pros.
I have the skills and can build one fairly easily.
I will be building someone a dream.
I will be my own Boss!

Cons.
"Time, Time,Time" "Never considered this simple thought till I listened to the millionaire fastlane , but it takes a lot of time from my life"

Don't know really how to sell it, just figured I'd drop the price to below what others charge for similar Tiny Homes, and hope it sells...... "There's that word" Hope...

In order to grow the business I would need to hire other folks and raise the price.

Anyways that's my dream in a nutshell and "The Milllionaire Fastlane" has made me look at things from a whole new angle so now I really have a lot of thinking, and planning to do. Any Ideas are welcome.
Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
That's a great looking project, nicely done. It does present several challenges to meet all of the CENTS commandments, but you can find a way to make it happen if you're motivated. Even if all you manage to do is improve the Scale & Time functions, then you're that much closer to your goal.

Have you considered specializing in a niche of the "tiny house" market? There might be a low cost, no frills segment. Perhaps a high end, top quality segment. You already touched on the efficiency/savings segment. How about the southern buyer vs the norther buyer...specialized heating or cooling needs. You'll certainly learn a lot from your conversations with prospective buyers for this first "tiny house".

You might even consider setting up a series of houses made to predetermined plans that the buyer could pick from on your website. Or, how about letting the buyer custom design their own house with some selections they make on your website? (((How about a website that has a 3D modeling feature with 3D models of all the possible components...let the customer arrange the house by moving the 3D parts around until they've designed their own custom home. Nutty perhaps, but just a thought.)))There are a number of ways to make your offering stand out and have a Unique Selling Proposition.

I say all of that to encourage you not to give up just yet!!!

Plank

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Jul 20, 2016
Tennesse
That's a great looking project, nicely done. It does present several challenges to meet all of the CENTS commandments, but you can find a way to make it happen if you're motivated. Even if all you manage to do is improve the Scale & Time functions, then you're that much closer to your goal.

Have you considered specializing in a niche of the "tiny house" market? There might be a low cost, no frills segment. Perhaps a high end, top quality segment. You already touched on the efficiency/savings segment. How about the southern buyer vs the norther buyer...specialized heating or cooling needs. You'll certainly learn a lot from your conversations with prospective buyers for this first "tiny house".

You might even consider setting up a series of houses made to predetermined plans that the buyer could pick from on your website. Or, how about letting the buyer custom design their own house with some selections they make on your website? (((How about a website that has a 3D modeling feature with 3D models of all the possible components...let the customer arrange the house by moving the 3D parts around until they've designed their own custom home. Nutty perhaps, but just a thought.)))There are a number of ways to make your offering stand out and have a Unique Selling Proposition.

I say all of that to encourage you not to give up just yet!!!
Thanks very much for the advice.
Some of those Ideas sound amazing.
I don't want to say can't, so I'll so I have no Idea how to do some or most of that stuff yet.
I believe I will give it a shot and learn how to do some of those things.
The 3D Modeling sounds awesome....
I should probably start at the beginning and learn how to do a website first though :D
Thanks again I really appreciate the input.

SparksCW

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Dec 14, 2015
South, UK
Slowlane = build eco tiny home for customers

Fastlane = Sell plans to build your own eco tiny home, sell webinars and private content. Blog, youtube videos, social media, sell accessories, components, provide monetised resources to enable others to live off grid and save that 80% of their pay check.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Slowlane = build eco tiny home for customers

Fastlane = Sell plans to build your own eco tiny home, sell webinars and private content. Blog, youtube videos, social media, sell accessories, components, provide monetised resources to enable others to live off grid and save that 80% of their pay check.

I know a lady who (all by herself) built her own little tiny home where she lives with her son. She did this recently, and because of all of the money that she has saved, she was able to take her teenage son on a 2 month road trip all over the U.S.

Anyhow, it's becoming a popular idea, and I agree with the idea that selling plans and an e-book, videos, etc about how to do this yourself would be one way that you could separate time from money. You could have a website where you document your progress and post pictures, how-tos, etc, and discuss different topics related to this. And everything that @SparksCW said (he is spot-on).

I'm kind of jealous... I would LOVE to have a tiny home. But my family is freaking huge lol.

Kudos to you for doing this, and for the reasons behind it, too.

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
In addition to providing pre-built tiny houses, and plans for building tiny houses, another possible income stream to consider is providing kits. I've never built a tiny house, but kits are popular in the experimental aviation and DIY electronics realm. Having everything you need to complete the project ready to be pieced together like lego blocks can make a pile of parts worth a lot more than they would be on their own and add a lot of value to a customer!

Plank

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Jul 20, 2016
Tennesse
Thanks so much for the wonderful Ideas. I will be taking some if not all of this advice in the future. I am a little uneducated when it comes to website building and development. I think I can maybe pick up something like a wix page fairly easily if I invest in my self and buy a domain I won't have the .wix.com name in my address" that looks unprofessional to me... Thanks so much for all the helpful input, you guys rock!

Garyswife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
675%
Feb 18, 2018
San Diego, CA
@Plank
How is your project coming along? I love the Tiny house concept.
I’m also interested in learning about composting toilets. Do you have a favorite brand/company or references where I begin to decipher options?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.