The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Exactly what I learned from luxury products and sales...

Anything related to matters of the mind

healzer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 8, 2016
Belgium
Have you ever wondered how some people can ask a thousand dollars for a product or service, that sells $10 elsewhere?
Why is that Apple charges two, three or four times the amount of other computer manufacturers?
How can a hotel cost a thousand dollars per night?

JWCT4yX.jpg

Don't get freaked out, it's not because they are "that" much better.
Most of them weren't just lucky, or had a lot of money to start with.
Because if you do think this way, you're just placing obstacles in your way.

It does not matter if you are selling tangible products or digital ones, because luxury is in demand.
The luxury market will never collapse, it is never in a recession, it will always continue to exist and grow.
Rich people, or above-average spenders will not be poor anytime soon -- but the opposite in fact.
Which is "why", most of us who are from the "working" class, have an ENORMOUS opportunity right now.

The rich are ever looking for new ways to spend their money and get something unique in return.
If they like your product, service or support, then they will spread the word about you like a wildfire.

My secret method *revealed*

For more than a year, I have been selling a software that I developed.
At a certain point I raised the price for $29.99 to the price of $179 per license.
All my competitors were selling a similar software at a price between $40 and $80.
And let me tell you, in that one year I've probably made more sales than some of my competitors did in their entire product's lifespan.

Was there any difference in the software?
Nope. Most of my competitors had similar features that mine had. I did not have a single competitive advantage technology wise. Matter of fact, I even came in the game two years after they have.

Was it your marketing strategy?
Not at all. I sold to the same audience (market segment) that they were selling to.

Then how come you have those crazy sales?
Because I have created a luxury bundle, not just a mere software for automation.

2orGhln.jpg

What I realized was that my competitors were focusing on 'just selling a software'.
Instead, I wanted to give my clients a special treatment, so here is what I did:

1. Provide them the best VIP support they ever had.
    I made sure I was available for more than 8 hours every day on Skype. They could ask me questions about the software, about any methods, about my private life, really anything! I wasn't just some "support technician" with a 9-5 attitude. I was really sending out positive vibes, and they felt it.
  2. Premium content.
    Most of my competitors didn't have a knowledge base, a place for the users to learn something new. So I started a blog and locked 90% of the posts so that only those who bought could read. I didn't lock the entire blog post, but only the crucial parts, so that any visitor could read the first few paragraphs and then they would get a message like this one:

b5od8IK.jpg

As I was just starting, I did these two steps without expecting much.
But I knew these two simple disciplines would get me some extra clients.
I truly never thought it would blow up like it had!

Believe me when I say that it doesn't take much to be amazing. Just a few simple disciplines.

Why the hell did you ask $179 for the software and not $70 to be more competitive?
I've had people telling me that "I'm asking too much", "the price is too high", "too expensive", blah blah blah...
This only means they cannot afford it. And if they want a luxury service, if they want a VIP product, then they better pay good money.

I have never had a single regret for charging that much, and boy it felt good! Most importantly, my clients were extremely happy and were spreading the word about my product / service like crazzzzyyy!!!

The lesson here is that people don't lack money, they only lack motivation to buy.
Of course there are some broke people looking for a cheap fix, but don't focus on them.
If you're passionate and motivated about what you're doing, then have the guts to just be Awesome!

JaU9K67.jpg

What I learned from the luxury hotel industry...

I was reading an article today from Harvard Business Review (source).
And it explained how a company is helping high-end luxury hotels improve their service using big data.
What caught my attention is that they were using data in a very effective way to increase their sales & improve customer's happiness.

There is a line in that article that says:

"A computer can remind you that it’s a guest’s birthday. It can’t tell you what to do about it."

I found this very fascinating. Because it all comes down to the fact:
It is the small little details that make all the difference in the world.

What interests me is how to apply these same principles in A/B testing and CRO (conversion rate optimization). These are not just about improving visuals, graphics and copy, but really the things most entrepreneurs miss out on. Everyone is so busy trying to get new clients, new ventures, more sales, more money,... that they forget the small little things that matter the most.

If you can make one client happy, they will spread the word to their friends, colleagues & family members. Their word is 100 times more powerful than any ad, banner of spam email you will ever send! If you can get them to recommend you to other people then you have literally started growing your business big time!

--
I hope my post has inspired someone to focus on getting big money, rather than chasing pennies.
Have a great day! :)
Ilya

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eric10x10

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 18, 2015
Great read.

You do make a few good points, and the gist of what you're saying makes perfect sense.

However, it is critical to keep in mind that there is a fine line between a luxurious "VIP" product, and something that's just overpriced for the hell of it.

Either way, glad to know you're doing well.

What type of software do you sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
:tiphat:

This is definitely motivating and has some good key points to take away.

Thank you.

healzer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 8, 2016
Belgium
Great read.

You do make a few good points, and the gist of what you're saying makes perfect sense.

However, it is critical to keep in mind that there is a fine line between a luxurious "VIP" product, and something that's just overpriced for the hell of it.

Either way, glad to know you're doing well.

What type of software do you sell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is indeed a line between luxury and just overpriced.
I believe mine was more overpriced than just luxurious. But the same can be said about Apple.
It's not "that" much better than other devices, the packaging is just AMAZING...

The type of software I sold was a Pinterest automation tool.

Cheers!
Ilya

ANR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 4, 2015
Great read, thank you!

Did you have a review section on your website? If so how did you deal with people writing "too expensive" or "overpriced", things like that.

I can't remember the last time I bought something without checking the review first.

ANR

healzer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 8, 2016
Belgium
Great read, thank you!

Did you have a review section on your website? If so how did you deal with people writing "too expensive" or "overpriced", things like that.

I can't remember the last time I bought something without checking the review first.

ANR
I don't have a review section on my website.
But we do have reviews at the places where I promote / advertise my softwares ( = on forums, like this one).
So having good reviews / testimonials is crucial :)

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
great read @healzer
I remember reading an article on how to make your clients feel special. One way was to send out messages saying happy birthday.
Other points they made were:
-Send a hand written letter saying thank you for the purchase
-Send them something free, along with their purchase
=Give them a $10(any amount you want) gift card to a specific store on their birthday. The way a certain company did this was by having their customers fill out the form, at the end of that forum it asked, what do you prefer(coffee, hamburgers etc.) and would send them a giftcard based on their preference.

That was just a couple of ideas I have read about

healzer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Jul 8, 2016
Belgium
great read @healzer
I remember reading an article on how to make your clients feel special. One way was to send out messages saying happy birthday.
Other points they made were:
-Send a hand written letter saying thank you for the purchase
-Send them something free, along with their purchase
=Give them a $10(any amount you want) gift card to a specific store on their birthday. The way a certain company did this was by having their customers fill out the form, at the end of that forum it asked, what do you prefer(coffee, hamburgers etc.) and would send them a giftcard based on their preference.

That was just a couple of ideas I have read about
Wow yes!
Do you remember that article, would love to read it. :)

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
@healzer, I couldn't find the specific article but here is another article that shows more in detail a couple things you can do for customers.

I believe writing a hand written note should be a given to any small business/startup. After that, trying to come up with something unique for your customers is next level. I know the first time I received some candy in the mail, along with what I ordered, I was very pleased. Legitimately told some of my friends about it... I didn't even eat the candy, I just thought it was the coolest thing.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
At a certain point I raised the price for $29.99 to the price of $179 per license.
Why the hell did you ask $179 for the software and not $70 to be more competitive?

There was a thread around here (use the search function) saying that the best thing you can do for your business is raise your prices.

There's no reason for this reply. I'm just bumping for selfish reasons to see what others are saying because this really resonates with what I do.

I believe writing a hand written note should be a given to any small business/startup. After that, trying to come up with something unique for your customers is next level. I know the first time I received some candy in the mail, along with what I ordered, I was very pleased. Legitimately told some of my friends about it... I didn't even eat the candy, I just thought it was the coolest thing.

I despise this sort of thinking. I still love you brother, and I hope one day you will call out my bullshit...

But if one of my contractors takes time out of his/her day to hand-write me a letter, it makes me think they have nothing better to do.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I despise this sort of thinking. I still love you brother, and I hope one day you will call out my bullshit...

But if one of my contractors takes time out of his/her day to hand-write me a letter, it makes me think they have nothing better to do.

I respect your opinion @ApparentHorizon
Maybe I should rephrase, this approach is not for every business. I personally think it could work well for what I will be selling(once I receive my products.) I don't expect my product will be flying off the shelf right away so I believe personalizing things could be helpful. On the other hand, I can also see it backfire if it gets to the point where I would not be able to hand write those letters, due to high demand. Then those repeat customers will feel let down.

A happy medium would suffice. For example, Prada(sunglasses company) sent me a very elegant note with my purchase. A hand written signature at the bottom may work.

Unfortunately it is all speculation for me, as I have not begun my journey and have no real world knowledge of this information. Just theory.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.