The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why so much talk about Ecommerce and AM??

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I am curious.

I have seen several threads about the two, and I wondering...

What are some other businesses you guys are generating wealth with?

Does anyone have a business that's not on the Internet? Even a small one like a car detailing company.

2015-12-10-1449752876-7134438-SmallBusinessMarketTips-thumb.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

Yeah, there has been an increase of threads talking about Eccomerce I've noticed.

Just has to do with a low barrier of entry compared to other businesses that are brick and mortar.Much easier to spend a few thousand and make a profitable Eccomerce than spend hundreds of thousands building a B.M business.

Both can generate massive wealth if played right.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
Yeah, there has been an increase of threads talking about Eccomerce I've noticed.

Just has to do with a low barrier of entry compared to other businesses that are brick and mortar.Much easier to spend a few thousand and make a profitable Eccomerce than spend hundreds of thousands building a B.M business.

Both can generate massive wealth if played right.

So you're telling me that there isn't much of a barrier of entry right? I suppose it may not be a fast lane business, but it is a good little business for some experience at a young age perhaps?

G

Guest34764

So you're telling me that there isn't much of a barrier of entry right? I suppose it may not be a fast lane business, but it is a good little business for some experience at a young age perhaps?

I worded it wrong.Eccomerce has a smaller barrier to entry but there is still a barrier especially if there is some competition.

Eccomerce is a Fastlane business and it's great for all ages.I'm getting into it in a few months and I'm 16.Yet I have a friend who is a lot older and clearing a lot of money doing this.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
There really isn't a barrier of entry in eccommerce if you do it the lazy way. Order something from Alibaba throw it up on eBay/ Amazon and have a price war to the bottom is the way that a lot of people are doing and there is very little barrier to entry. If you do it different (change the products, market through different channels, actually know/learn marketing) the barrier to entry is much higher.

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach
I worded it wrong.Eccomerce has a smaller barrier to entry but there is still a barrier especially if there is some competition.

Eccomerce is a Fastlane business and it's great for all ages.I'm getting into it in a few months and I'm 16.Yet I have a friend who is a lot older and clearing a lot of money doing this.

There really isn't a barrier of entry in eccommerce if you do it the lazy way. Order something from Alibaba throw it up on eBay/ Amazon and have a price war to the bottom is the way that a lot of people are doing and there is very little barrier to entry. If you do it different (change the products, market through different channels, actually know/learn marketing) the barrier to entry is much higher.

I really like this answer. Thank you. I definitely have interest in it. Do you have your own Ecomm site as well?

Vitom

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2016
Virginia Beach

I've worked in the job market since I was 16. I started out working as a sound technician, and eventually got into sales. There is no easy way to be successful. Ecomm sounds like a decent business idea, but I feel like there is a LOT of competition. I want to make sure I don't waste my most valuable asset -- time.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
I really like this answer. Thank you. I definitely have interest in it. Do you have your own Ecomm site as well?
Yes I do. I started selling on my own website a year and a half ago.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Well, eCommerce is incredibly scalable and likely the least expensive to get into, so it makes sense that the forum generates a lot of discussion around it.

Nothing wrong with other methods of course but I'm really not surprised at the lack of discussions and enthusiasm they get compared to ecomm.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Yes, there are some of us pursuing other paths...but most seem to be in eCommerce. I agree, it's probably due to the reduced barrier to entry. Besides, this forum only exists in e-reality so it's closer to the world of eCommerce. Perhaps the majority of brick & mortar folks never think to look online for input/feedback/learning???

There are some of us in physical products (like myself), some in brick & mortar, some in real estate, etc. Look at the main forum page for the "Your Roads (Business Paths)" section and you'll quickly find specialized threads.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Ecomm sounds like a decent business idea, but I feel like there is a LOT of competition.

Based on what, exactly?

The competition in one area is completely different than another, regardless of what type of business you're in. I can guarantee you there are in demand niches with little competition within the e-commerce world. Emerging markets are everywhere.

You can't generalize any type of business the way you're doing so here. Anyone can walk into a niche and get slain if they are trying to go after the monster markets. You can't just create a new Ford Mustang or Chevy Camaro and think you're hot stuff and ripe to slam the muscle car niche.

Not gonna happen.

If you're just getting your feet wet, look for a little more dry, boring, and less admirable niches. There's still going to be some amount of demand, but a lot less competition. In my experience, less sexy niches have plenty of diamonds sitting on the shelves waiting for someone to grab them, but they're disguised as coal and nobody wants to get their hands dirty first.

Point being, don't look at a market or segment of business and think, "Wow, that sounds hard."

Go find out for yourself.

Dig in.

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
First think about where we are. An INTERNET forum about MAKING MONEY. Obviously many people will be drawn towards MAKING MONEY on the INTERNET.

Ecom/AM both have a low barrier of entry. To start you don't need much money or knowledge. You have the whole world to advertise to. You can easily jump between multiple verticals with to quickly test out what is working for you. And you don't even need to put pants on. Most of the work can be outsourced to cheap VAs once you have a system in place and money coming in.

Real life, non internet companies require much more to get going in my experience. More money if you need inventory or pay for a location. You are stuck selling to your local market, which can lower your scaling opportunities. You can't get cheap VAs, if you want employees you have to pay actual wages with much more paperwork. And at the end of the day you must wear pants.

With that being said I think all types of business can be great. I think ecom/am type stuff is good for beginners who don't have alot of upfront capital. You can scale at your own pace and build your bank. Once you have money coming in you can start launching other types of businesses.

JordanS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Aug 8, 2014
If you're just getting your feet wet, look for a little more dry, boring, and less admirable niches. There's still going to be some amount of demand, but a lot less competition. In my experience, less sexy niches have plenty of diamonds sitting on the shelves waiting for someone to grab them, but they're disguised as coal and nobody wants to get their hands dirty first.

For example look at the craze of survival tools, primarily the tactical flashlights. Not too long ago you would be laughed at for saying I want to be a flashlight salesman. Now, there have been many people doing 4-5 figures per day promoting these types of products.

Really, these flashlights were an amazing product to sell. Everyone just overlooked them. They are cheap to get, have a high perceived value, and are advertised to fix pain points. You are not just selling a flashlight, you are providing safety and lowering their fear.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The forum moves in cycles over years, paralelling gold mining. At it's inception, it was a lot more Kyosaki influenced REI stuff. MJ told me what the last wave was (before eCommerce) but I am old and my memory is failing. Currently, there's a lot of eCommerce because it generally can be steered towards meeting most of the elements of CENTS. And next? Where ever the wind blows entrepreneurs. There are cycles for those who have watched the forum from the beginning, with topics ebbing and flowing, and people coming and going accordingly. The only consistency through the years is the paradigm shift MJ realized, capitalized on, and then memorialized in his book. Expect the next book to expand and update on that same (now timeless) message... and with it possibly usher in the next wave of forum members and some new perspectives.

Last edited:

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
The forum moves in cycles over years, paralelling gold mining. At it's inception, it was a lot more Kyosaki influenced REI stuff. MJ told me what the last wave was (before eCommerce) but I am old and my memory is failing. Currently, there's a lot of eCommerce because it generally can be steered towards meeting most of the elements of CENTS. And next? Where ever the wind blows entrepreneurs. There are cycles for those who have watched the forum from the beginning, with topics ebbing and flowing, and people coming and going accordingly. The only consistency through the years is the paradigm shift MJ realized, capitalized on, and then memorialized in his book. Expect the next book to expand and update on that same (now timeless) message... and with it possibly usher in the next wave of forum members and some new perspectives.

The "online marketing," "get rich quick," "wantrepreneur" crowd continually cycles between communities and ideas without actually getting anything done.

Digital Point -> WaFo -> BHW -> TFLF -> ???.

This forum has its fair share of wannabes, but the difference between TFLF and the rest is that people here won't hesitate to call out nonsense. Probably one of the biggest gifts your peers can give you is hard cold constructive criticism.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Party bus company and construction company on my dad's side. If you ever want to know more just send me a PM.

*I like these threads, I'm not clever enough to start an e-commerce business.* :p

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
"eCommerce" is not a business. It is simply a channel to distribute products.
My favorites are... "I own a Shopify business", I have an "Amazon business".

I wonder if any company selling product to Walmart says, "I have a Walmart business."

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
My favorites are... "I own a Shopify business", I have an "Amazon business".

I wonder if any company selling product to Walmart says, "I have a Walmart business."

brilliantly put

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.