The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reddit is Full of Slowlaners

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma
Status
Not open for further replies.

icon8

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 18, 2016
This broad generalization is far more ignorant than they very people it's directed at.

I can understand why you'd say that, but I beg to differ.

If you go to almost any subreddit you're virtually guaranteed to find comments & posts about:
  • How the successful companies/successful people are supposedly pure evil
  • Some guy who can't get laid & is depressed/angry about it
  • Why none of 'my' life problems are 'my' fault or 'my' responsibility

and much, much more...
Trends exist for a reason, they show consistency.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
This quote brightened my day. I need to tape it to my mirror...:p

But to add to the discussion. Thank goodness for consumers. Without them would there even be a fastlane?

Its very interesting to think about what would happen if everyone had the "fastlane mindset". I tend to believe that some will always find a way to rise above the current "average" whatever it may be at the time. I also believe these people that rise above would be largely composed of current fastlaners.

However, if the general population concerned itself with less whining and more of fixing problems (current day fasteners), what would this new breed of "ultra fastlaners" be like?

This is what a fully functional market economy looks like, people are eager to start their own business to solve problems of others, which drives employment and innovation, which spurs human achievement on a much bigger level, which actually creates surplus wealth that can be used to support the weaker part of society that actually need help, which makes the world a much better place. Too bad it is all backwards nowadays.

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
I frequent Reddit. The front page is a great place to get up to date world news as it happens, coming from a tech background I get a good laugh out of some of the jokes on there and there are a few subs that get traffic like nowhere else on the world for me to not only promote my wares but also to get fast answers to problems I have.

Are there a lot of slowlaners on there? Yeah, sure. Isn't that an indication of the world though?

My question to you is what are you doing getting hung up on others being slowlaners? That's energy that could otherwise be spent improving yourself, those you care about or something you believe in.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The front page is a great place to get up to date world news as it happens

Then you're getting a skewed, partisan world view. Like many tech companies nowadays, they actively censor news which doesn't promote their agenda. Sorry to hear this is your source for "news".

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Then you're getting a skewed, partisan world view. Like many tech companies nowadays, they actively censor news which doesn't promote their agenda. Sorry to hear this is your source for "news".
You interpreted my comments to read that I don't have a bullshit filter and that Reddit is my only source of news. No need to apologize, everyone is an individual with unique opinions and personalty traits.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

Isn't this the same as pretty much any news outlet?

Just following the presidential race you can clearly tell where allegiances lie across the whole spectrum of news organizations. One party does a bad thing and it's completely silent on x, y, z major news networks but all that a, b, c news networks are talking about, and the reverse. Or when there is cross-coverage the angle is so different it's like they are telling different stories.

I try not to pay attention much to the news in general but I've never held the believe that any one source of news is trustworthy from an objective standpoint. Some are better than others but many of the major ones people talk about are all heavily influenced in various ways as best I can tell.

Not to necessarily defend places like reddit (shudder at the thought) but the comment section can be quite enlightening at time. A headline may say one damning thing promoting one view and the top comment ends up being a source-filled mini-essay on why the article is horseshit and what they believe is really going on. Often with photo or video evidence.Then the top reply to that comment is a typically a counter point (or further validation, experiences, etc...). I tend to get better coverage of most major situations through the reddit comment section than any individual news outlet.

That being said, it's generally a cesspool unless you stick to highly specific subreddits (hobbies in particular shine on there - I'd argue their homebrewing section is second to none anywhere else on the net, for example).

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015

MJ the problem is that there are almost no successful tech companies in the world nowadays that doesn't do that. The entire world is shifting that way and they are just responding to the consumers. The ones that do not tends to hide in the shadows because they don't want to piss off the majority of the available consumers out there. It's likely only going to get worse as the younger generation in the developed world grow older, I am afraid the good old days is not coming back.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Reddit recently censored a mega-thread on the Purge nightclub attacks. It was pretty bad.

G

Guest34764

You guys have to remember that slowlaners and sidewalkers are the majority in almost every place.This forum and a few others are safe heavens from them, but in other places, they're the 99%.

Is Reddit full of slowlaners?Hell yeah, it is, but that's because it's such a common and public site that's open to everyone.

On FLF we punish and help those types of people, but this forum although public, is not as known and is much more private than reddit.

Everywhere you go you will almost certainly find slowlaners and sidewalkers, there's no helping that.It's just the way it is.That's why we're the 1% ( or whatever you want to call it).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Isn't this the same as pretty much any news outlet?

Absolutely, but that isn't the issue.

It's pretty clear if you go to Fox VS MSNBC you're going to get a bent partisan view.

The issue is when these organizations feign objectivity like it's a free discourse in the public square when it clearly is not. Tech giants like Google, Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit actively censor any opinion that doesn't fit their backroom narrative. Behind the scenes these companies are pushing partisan agendas because they know a decent subset of the population can be manipulated into believing that their distorted lens is one of objectivity.

I know when I hit VOX or Salon what kind of opinion/skew I'll read.

Likewise, when I hit Breitbart or Blaze I know I'll see a different opinion/skew.

However when it comes to Reddit, Twitter, Google, and FB -- they are supposed to be non-partisan and a reflect an unfettered discourse of public opinion-- like a public square-- but they are not. And they are actively deceptive about it.

That's the problem.

Anyhow, in the spirit of censoring conversation (and those who would love to argue with me about it [I know they're out there]) I'm gonna close this thread because it is now political. I have the power to skew my website to my backroom view just like the tech giants.

See, doesn't censoring suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!