The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From $60k to $440K sales, importing and logistics

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Hey Guys,

It's been quite some time since I have been on the forum. I've been working like an animal on my customs brokerage and freight forwarding (import/export) business and it has been paying off.

A brief recap.

• Quit my job in 04/14 with some cash in the bank and no customers
  • Set up my own small office (I call it the closet. lol)
  • Started my hustle and was able to land a couple of accounts
  • Closed out 2014 with $60,000 in sales
  • 2015 I kept on grind and (thankfully) became so busy I had to hire some help
  • Closed out 2015 with $400,000 in sales!!!
  • Now we are aiming $1,000,000 in sales in 2016
With all the progress that has been made I wanted to get back online to give back. If you have any questions about the journey of starting up a B&M business, the requirements or process on importing products into the U.S., or general import, export, transportation and logistics questions let me know.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Congrats on the results so far, sounds like you've really put in some hard work.

What problems did you see in the freight forwarding industry that you thought you could improve upon?

How is your company different/better than others?

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Congrats on the results so far, sounds like you've really put in some hard work.

What problems did you see in the freight forwarding industry that you thought you could improve upon?

How is your company different/better than others?

Hey Amp0193,

Thank you. Yes we've been working hard to reach our goals.

As for what sets us apart from the competition. Customer service, communication, and transparency. We go above and beyond to understand our clients needs, educate them on the process and are transparent on all fee's (ours, customs, and third parties), but most importantly we keep them in the loop through out the whole process. We make ourselves available for our clients and take the time to be there for them when they need us.

A lot of new importers are very intimidated about purchasing overseas, or transitioning from a courier (UPS, FedEx, DHL) service to ocean/air freight services. This is where we really shine because we take the client by hand and walk them through everything. In our first meeting we tell them what they are walking into and what to expect. What agencies regulate their items (if other than customs), and the requirements to that need to be met.

Unfortunately, this day in age this is not a standard practice. A large # of businesses (especially in my industry) treat customers as if they are doing the customer a favor by helping them. This is not the case with us. We actually have a client in Seattle, WA (We're in Miami), who came to us because he worked with a competitor and was not happy with his experience. After his first shipment with us, he said we made process so easy he felt it was as if we down the street from him.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I changed the title of your thread to grab more eyeballs. "Getting back online" will not encourage anyone to click and read.

Congrats on the business growth!

Ajita

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 17, 2013
Florida
Great job on your progress so far!

I have a couple of questions regarding exporting from the USA to another country:

At what price point or shipment size is it time to start using an export agent? Say I want to send some boxes of merchandise to Brazil for example, at what weight/shipment size would I use a company like yours, versus using a courier service like DHL, UPS, etc.?

Also, would an export company like yours take care of a shipment from door to door? Taking care of customs, import taxes, etc?

Thanks!

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Great job on your progress so far!

I have a couple of questions regarding exporting from the USA to another country:

At what price point or shipment size is it time to start using an export agent? Say I want to send some boxes of merchandise to Brazil for example, at what weight/shipment size would I use a company like yours, versus using a courier service like DHL, UPS, etc.?

Also, would an export company like yours take care of a shipment from door to door? Taking care of customs, import taxes, etc?

Thanks!

Hello Ajita,

If your shipments are larger than 100lbs that's when you will want to start exploring other avenues of shipping. Yes we can assist you with door to door services.

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Rsimmons016,

Did you start the logistics company by educating yourself on Google or were you working for a logistics firm prior to your own business?

Ben

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Rsimmons016,

Did you start the logistics company by educating yourself on Google or were you working for a logistics firm prior to your own business?

Ben

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I have worked in the industry for more than 12 years.

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Did you get the accounts by cold calling? Do you continue to create new business this way?

Hello Sebastya,

The short answer is yes. Cold calls, knocking on doors, generating leads, networking, etc. These "old school" methods are still effective as long as you are consistent and persistent

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Hey Guys,

It's been quite some time since I have been on the forum. I've been working like an animal on my customs brokerage and freight forwarding (import/export) business and it has been paying off.

A brief recap.

• Quit my job in 04/14 with some cash in the bank and no customers
  • Set up my own small office (I call it the closet. lol)
  • Started my hustle and was able to land a couple of accounts
  • Closed out 2014 with $60,000 in sales
  • 2015 I kept on grind and (thankfully) became so busy I had to hire some help
  • Closed out 2015 with $400,000 in sales!!!
  • Now we are aiming $1,000,000 in sales in 2016
With all the progress that has been made I wanted to get back online to give back. If you have any questions about the journey of starting up a B&M business, the requirements or process on importing products into the U.S., or general import, export, transportation and logistics questions let me know.

@Rsimmons016,

Big ups, man!!!!! Kicking that ash!:rockon:

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Hello Sebastya,

The short answer is yes. Cold calls, knocking on doors, generating leads, networking, etc. These "old school" methods are still effective as long as you are consistent and persistent

Great job!!

What was the hardest thing for you in 2014 and in 2015?

Whats your profit margin

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Great job!!

What was the hardest thing for you in 2014 and in 2015?

Whats your profit margin

The hardest thing of each year? That's a good question.

Well 2014 was full of exciting new challenges. Getting the office (signing my first commercial lease), furnishing it, leaving my job, teaching myself the sales process (no sales background here), getting past the nervousness of cold calling (actually watched youtube videos on cold calling), getting my first meeting with a potential client (I failed miserably), and finally after dozens of failed meetings and attempts was able to secure an account. Now I had some work!! Through all this the toughest parts would have to be 1. The emotional rollercoaster of being on your own. The smallest win and you feel like your on top of the world (like getting my first meeting), and the bad days really hit hard(leaving that meeting knowing I bombed). But you can't let the low points take a toll on your momentum or progress. 2. Breaking myself from the "employee" mentality. There were times early on, when I would work from home and felt guilty. It was like I felt the need to report to someone or get permission for not "going into work". It took me a while break free from this.

2015 brought on a different set of challenges. Great ones! Growth challenges! Hiring the right people to be part of this journey. Ensuring the clients experience didn't diminish as we got busier and busier, Keeping an eye on the cash flow and P&L, negotiating with vendors (actually having leverage to negotiate with is awesome). There were definitely many more challenges along the way, but I think you get the idea.

I am excited to see what 2016 has in store for us.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
The hardest thing of each year? That's a good question.

Well 2014 was full of exciting new challenges. Getting the office (signing my first commercial lease), furnishing it, leaving my job, teaching myself the sales process (no sales background here), getting past the nervousness of cold calling (actually watched youtube videos on cold calling), getting my first meeting with a potential client (I failed miserably), and finally after dozens of failed meetings and attempts was able to secure an account. Now I had some work!! Through all this the toughest parts would have to be 1. The emotional rollercoaster of being on your own. The smallest win and you feel like your on top of the world (like getting my first meeting), and the bad days really hit hard(leaving that meeting knowing I bombed). But you can't let the low points take a toll on your momentum or progress. 2. Breaking myself from the "employee" mentality. There were times early on, when I would work from home and felt guilty. It was like I felt the need to report to someone or get permission for not "going into work". It took me a while break free from this.

2015 brought on a different set of challenges. Great ones! Growth challenges! Hiring the right people to be part of this journey. Ensuring the clients experience didn't diminish as we got busier and busier, Keeping an eye on the cash flow and P&L, negotiating with vendors (actually having leverage to negotiate with is awesome). There were definitely many more challenges along the way, but I think you get the idea.

I am excited to see what 2016 has in store for us.

Amazing man, really exciting and good life.

I know it sucks to lose customers. There have been times where I didnt get a customer even tho my product was cheaper, better and faster delivery than the person he was buying from. For some retarded reason they still didnt want to buy. That was pretty frustrating. I just looked at what I could improve and learned from those situations.

How did the hiring process go?
For my next company I will make sure that I have people in place that can join once the biss grows, during the growth there is so little time.

Rsimmons016

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Oct 22, 2013
Miami, FL, U.S.A.
Amazing man, really exciting and good life.

I know it sucks to lose customers. There have been times where I didnt get a customer even tho my product was cheaper, better and faster delivery than the person he was buying from. For some retarded reason they still didnt want to buy. That was pretty frustrating. I just looked at what I could improve and learned from those situations.

How did the hiring process go?
For my next company I will make sure that I have people in place that can join once the biss grows, during the growth there is so little time.

I have been really fortunate with my team. I have found great people who see the vision, believe in the dream, and have taken ownership of their roles. Our clients love the team and we have great synergy. I have been really, really lucky.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Amazing what a simple title change can do. :)

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
I have been really fortunate with my team. I have found great people who see the vision, believe in the dream, and have taken ownership of their roles. Our clients love the team and we have great synergy. I have been really, really lucky.

Great man, really nice to hear. Go grab your dreams and make it!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.