The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Margaritaville (I've Bought A Golf-Course!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Buying a golf course is a tremendous accomplishment thats put you in league with the 1% of the 1%. Thread title changed to reflect this-- not sure how many people know what went down in here.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013
I feel like real estate is right.

Owner sells a property either he/she is no longer passionate about or wants to profit from, investor buys said property and improves it, then owner profits of property from cash flow (or appreciation) or new client comes in to buy it.

Everyone walks away happy!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Owner sells a property either he/she is no longer passionate about or wants to profit from, investor buys said property and improves it, then owner profits of property from cash flow (or appreciation) or new client comes in to buy it.

My process...

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Owner sells a business either he/she is no longer passionate about or wants to profit from, investor buys said business and improves it, then owner profits of business from cash flow (or appreciation) or new client comes in to buy it.

That works too ;).

D

DeletedUser394

All businesses are 'right' and all transactions end up this way. That's the neat thing about it.

Take something as innocuous as a chocolate bar. I buy the chocolate bar because I'm hungry or want a sweet. My life is marginally improved by the purchase of the chocolate bar. The Hershey company gets my money, which they can then use to either pay their employees (who in turn support their own families) or use that money to improve something about the business to make even better or more efficiently produced chocolate bars in the future. It is a constant progression forward.

I value the chocolate bar more than the money (just like SteveO buying the course), and Hershey wants the money more than they want the chocolate bar (like the dude/dudette that sold the golf course to him).

Capitalism is beautiful, haters gonna hate.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I'm an absolutely terrible golfer, but I'd love to play on the course if I am ever in the area. :)

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Gotta feeling this is going to turn into a legendary thread.

@SteveO got to the point where he could pay cash for his own 18 hole and club-house. If this shit was any deeper into legendary territory Homer would have written a poem about it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Fantastic effort SteveO congratulations, and thanks for sharing with us.

The idea to turn the clubhouse into a fun place for the community is something not enough golf clubs invest in, look forward to following your progress [emoji106]

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
@MKHB
"You must be very real estate savvy. This is very exciting, yet complicated endeavor-you got some big ones."

Nope. All the golf balls are the same size... ;)

So you were able to depreciate over 10M of the 15M purchased assets (not including land) at a faster rate?

I am hoping to do a reverse exchange as well.

That's great. I wasn't sure if it was Ancala in Scottsdale, the Havasu Course or the one in Yuma you were after.

Did not want to ask, until it went thru. Small world! That cost segregation spread sheet I sent you was
the one we did for CNL for Ancala, before they sold it to the new owners ( CF/Fortress) the guys who own the hockey team down there).

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
That's great. I wasn't sure if it was Ancala in Scottsdale, the Havasu Course or the one in Yuma you were after.

Did not want to ask, until it went thru. Small world! That cost segregation spread sheet I sent you was
the one we did for CNL for Ancala, before they sold it to the new owners ( CF/Fortress) the guys who own the hockey team down there).
I was actually interested in the one in Havasu (36 holes). My wife tends to throttle me back a bit. I have played Ancala before. It is a very tough course! Too expensive for me right now. Most of those courses in Phoenix don't cashflow very well. I need the cashflow to make a transaction like this work.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
I was actually interested in the one in Havasu (36 holes). My wife tends to throttle me back a bit. I have played Ancala before. It is a very tough course! Too expensive for me right now. Most of those courses in Phoenix don't cashflow very well. I need the cashflow to make a transaction like this work.

Well said, most people don't understand that really picturesque courses are not big money makers. I know of no less than 5 Pete Dye courses that are absolutely magnificent but are also in "quiet" receivership stage.

Your course is gonna be a monster.

Can't wait to come down there and play it winter of 2016.

Good luck @SteveO

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Congrats SteveO!

Can someone point me to SteveOs original progress thread(s)? I keep seeing hints dropped that he has made some massive progress but I can't figure out how to search for peoples old posts. I am sure its an excellent story.

iAmTrade

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 28, 2015
New Jersey
Really great work- you bought a GOLF COURSE! Sheesh, one can dream or he can make it happen.

Looking forward to see what else you have up your sleeve in the future.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Would have been pretty cool if you picked up the Havasu Course...2 minutes from my house. But I guess the 2 hour drive might be nice just to check it out.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Can someone point me to SteveOs original progress thread(s)? I keep seeing hints dropped that he has made some massive progress but I can't figure out how to search for peoples old posts. I am sure its an excellent story.
I am a real estate guy. I had already had some success when I started posting here but also had a full meltdown during the downturn. There are posts from me dating back to the beginning of this forum. In fact, I may have had the first non-MJ post on the forum.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/first-post.4/

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
We just took over on Friday. It is only Sunday now but it is a holiday weekend. I am embarrassed by the overgrown grass on the course. The greens keeper just let two people go on Friday which seems to be bad timing. I trust that he knows what he is doing. We have new people playing the course this weekend that I am sure will not come back with what they are witnessing.

We are meeting first thing Tuesday morning to discuss. We have a stack of resume's for people willing to take the entry level lawn mowing position. I told the GM to hire the three most aggressive people from the stack immediately. We will move to the next person if they don't work out.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
We just took over on Friday. It is only Sunday now but it is a holiday weekend. I am embarrassed by the overgrown grass on the course. The greens keeper just let two people go on Friday which seems to be bad timing. I trust that he knows what he is doing. We have new people playing the course this weekend that I am sure will not come back with what they are witnessing.

We are meeting first thing Tuesday morning to discuss. We have a stack of resume's for people willing to take the entry level lawn mowing position. I told the GM to hire the three most aggressive people from the stack immediately. We will move to the next person if they don't work out.
Offer anyone who shows up tomorrow 2 for one for their next visit free.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
You bought a golf course... amazing! Congratulations on your new endeavor. I look forward to reading of your progress. Thank you for the inspiration @SteveO !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.