The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Life moves in chapters. People come in, and people fade out. Jobs come, and jobs go. Kids grow up. People die. Babies are born. You are in debt. You're out of debt. You're into religion. You're out of religion. You work out. You get fat. You get skinny. If you look back on your adulthood, you will see that there were beginnings, middles, and ends of distinct periods, or chapters. Nobodys life is static. The day you started doing what you did today was the start of the chapter you're in. Is it interesting? Do you like where you are at? If you could choose it, would you choose where you were at today? Physically? Mentally? Geographically? Would you choose it? Did you know you DID choose it?

What chapter are you writing as you read this? Where are you at? Can you recalibrate? Can you start something new?

Should you move half way across the country because you can?

Anyone that says that they can't write their own ending doesn't get free will. Where do you want to be?

What did you do today? Did you work some suck a$$ job just because that's where the sum total of your choices through today found you?

Are you one of the people I am watching set up your chair on the beach because it's Friday?

I spent too many years of my life being one of the people setting up chairs on a Friday.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Start a chair rental company!!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Not a job .... fund a local kid starting a chair rental company. Write about the experience while sipping spiced rum and pineapple juice.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sunday. Heading off on a boat cruise to look for dolphins. We think we found a house to lock in to. Coincidentally, it ended up being a stone's throw from a horse racing track (go figure). 10 minutes from the beach, a few minutes from the office, close to the health club we are members of, and right by the mall my wife wants to live at. We'd never buy it, but it will make a decent crash pad until we decide where we want to be down the road. It's at least a destination I can point the UHaul towards in June.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So, we leased a house. As usual, we broke most of the rules to do so.

1. We wanted a move in date that was later than the homeowner wanted
2. They asked for financials on us, we passed
3. They asked for tax returns, we passed
4. We did give them credit report access. That's about it.

A funny thing happens when you change the leverage in a negotiation. They wanted to lease us the house more than we wanted the house. There are 1,000 houses we could lease, but there's only one leasee that looks like us. Leverage.

We gave them mostly what they wanted. Most of their concerns center around money (as they should). So, we didn't fight them on money. We demanded the terms we wanted, and refused to play the game most people play regarding their absurd demands.

In the end, they get what they want (money) and we get what we want (a crash pad.) Nothing else really matters in this transaction.

If you can get to the HEART of what your opponent wants in a negotiation, and give them that or something close to that... everything else is just semantics.

We'll sign the lease tonight, and fly back to Minnesota tomorrow.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
A good tenant is priceless. A bad tenant can be hell.

So, we leased a house. As usual, we broke most of the rules to do so.

1. We wanted a move in date that was later than the homeowner wanted
4. We did give them credit report access. That's about it.

A funny thing happens when you change the leverage in a negotiation. They wanted to lease us the house more than we wanted the house. There are 1,000 houses we could lease, but there's only one leasee that looks like us. Leverage.

We gave them mostly what they wanted. Most of their concerns center around money (as they should). So, we didn't fight them on money. We demanded the terms we wanted, and refused to play the game most people play regarding their absurd demands.

In the end, they get what they want (money) and we get what we want (a crash pad.) Nothing else really matters in this transaction.

If you can get to the HEART of what your opponent wants in a negotiation, and give them that or something close to that... everything else is just semantics.

We'll sign the lease tonight, and fly back to Minnesota tomorrow.

Weaponize

Workin on it!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Nov 15, 2014

That's awesome! I'd love to hear a bit more of the details about how you accomplished the 2 points above. What were those conversations like? How'd they play out? Congrats on your new lease!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I just met with my tax accountant, and was reminded of yet another reason to change locations.

There are seven U.S states with zero state personal income tax.

Those include:

• Alaska
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wyoming
In addition, there are states with minimal personal income taxes. Those include:
  • Tennessee
  • New Hampshire

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have friends that in their very young 20's decided they didn't want to live in the Midwest any more. So, with very little but the clothes on their backs, they headed to the West coast, picked an area, and built a life there.

I am convinced that the trappings of life ensnare people. You get a job (or two), a mortgage, your kids are in school... and suddenly you are geographically trapped.

If I could give any advice to my younger self, it would have been to sacrifice rushing into adulthood long enough to figure out what lifestyle I wanted before marriage, kids, "obligations," and more permanent lifestyle choices came into play. Mark Twain was right when he talked about setting sail.

My youngest son is in college. His choices were to do the responsible thing this summer and work a job for college level pay, or cast off for adventure. I am pleased to report that he opted for the path less traveled. There's plenty of time in life to play the role of a "grown up" if you really want to. Granted, he has a bit more of a safety net than most people, but none the less he's decided that there is simply too much of life to experience than to stand in one place for too long.

Do you like the mountains? Do you want to be in Arizona when half of the rest of the world is living in a deep freeze? Does the ocean wind calm your soul? Do you like to downhill ski? Snorkel? Mountain bike? Whale watch?

We had a lot of reasons for staying where we were, mostly as a result of life choices. We are a sum of the choices we make.

We were in a window of time where we saw the escape hatch, and we took it. It's there if you look for it.

A lot of people go on vacation, and wish they could stay. They could, really. Just like MJ talks about trading 5 days of work for 2 weekend days of freedom... so people trade 50 weeks of suck for 2 weeks of playing where they want to play. Why can't it be a full time life thing? If you love California, why can't you move there?

There's a happiness scale. Where are you at on it? The thread about moving to Scottsdale... pick YOUR Scottsdale. It's not about that town. It's about that concept. If you move to Scottsdale because it sounded cool in the book, you missed the point of why his personal relocation was even important. It's not the town itself.

People read the Millionaire Fast Lane, and MJ's journey to Arizona. They then want to move to Arizona. It's not about Arizona. It's about freedom. Your Arizona might be Boulder, Colorado. It might be Latvia. It might be Honolulu. It might be Jamaica. It might be Dallas, Texas.

You're running out of excuses as to why staying in your comfort zone makes sense. When you reach your breaking point, look for the escape hatch and take the exit. Life is short. Navigate yourself to where you want to be.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
@Vigilante I've been searching for the words to explain to friends and family why I'm leaving the east coast (again ) and going back to Arizona(not inspired by MJ). Your last post put it as simple and and to the point as I could imagine. Thank You.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Enjoy your adventure! I am tired of MN as well(high of 45 and low of 36 on Monday!) , screwing around with 3 boats and a jetski, in and out of storage, maintenance etc.. for 90 days of summer getting to be a drag. yeah 1st world problems. Keeping a home on Prior Lake for family/business for now.lightening the load selling a Lake Minnetonka property I was going to build a dream home on, and now looking around for an oceanside home either domestic or international. I'll either move the manufacturing operation or sell it (a multi million$$ customer wants it to be vertically integrated) and retain certain branded & private label marketing/sales product lines contracting w/ the buyer, in order to be more virtual/mobile.

Best wishes to you for making the move!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was talking with my son the other day, specifically about snowmobiles. We have a snowmobile sitting at my place that hasn't been used for several years. We came to the realization that in the south... there has NEVER been a year where you couldn't use a jet ski. That's a novel concept. In Minnesota, I have a few cars we have to store for 6 months during the winter.

It's common here to hear people say "we;;, you can't beat Minnesota in the summer." Apparently those people have never been to Scottsdale in February. Or March. Or April.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I was talking with my son the other day, specifically about snowmobiles. We have a snowmobile sitting at my place that hasn't been used for several years. We came to the realization that in the south... there has NEVER been a year where you couldn't use a jet ski. That's a novel concept. In Minnesota, I have a few cars we have to store for 6 months during the winter.

It's common here to hear people say "we;;, you can't beat Minnesota in the summer." Apparently those people have never been to Scottsdale in February. Or March. Or April.

ha ha, exactly. It'd be cheaper and easier to rent a snowmobile for $200 a day for the 2-3 days you can ride. I'll have to check to see if there is such a beast in the metro then get rid of mine. I think the boating clubs that sell rental memberships aren't doing too bad either, I'd especially consider them if I didn't live on the lakes. I'd pay $500 or more a day plus fuel for a good size cruiser and captain to take me and friends out on Tonka or the St. Croix. Sure beats screwing around with mine.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I had a nice boat on Lake Minnetonka. One year I decided to save a couple hundred bucks and winterize it myself. Apparently you need to get all of the water out of the block.

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I met friends yesterday and i said solemnely " i spent the last 10 years here, i am not going to spend the next 10 in this cold city "
... People ask me " how come you are single ? i respond semi-serious " i live in Ottawa :))
Let the adventure begin soon

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It'd be cheaper and easier to rent a snowmobile for $200 a day for the 2-3 days you can ride.

Another prime motivator to get out of IL was something similar for me. I've always loved convertibles and it just seemed impractical to own one in the Midwest. Between the winters and the humid summers, it just seemed like it's total use would have been a few days out of the year. The first time I sold my first biz, my first purchase was a convertible. The top was perpetually down.

I think the boating clubs that sell rental memberships

They have a few around here around the AZ lakes. Here's one:

http://www.bartlettlake.com/boat-rentals.html

They even have boat club memberships.

http://www.blmboatclub.com/club.html

Definitely the way I'd go.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Why can't it be a full time life thing? If you love California, why can't you move there?
Immigration :(

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
What does that mean?

I'm not a citizen of the US. I can only stay in the country for three months (Legally) before a holiday visa would run out. There are other options available to me such as the J1 program (Through college, when I finish school. Doesn't let me live in the US forever) and getting hired by an American company.

If your aware of any other ways of moving to the US I would be delighted to hear!

Bila

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Dec 2, 2014
Ontario Canada
I'm not a citizen of the US. I can only stay in the country for three months (Legally) before a holiday visa would run out. There are other options available to me such as the J1 program (Through college, when I finish school. Doesn't let me live in the US forever) and getting hired by an American company.

If your aware of any other ways of moving to the US I would be delighted to hear!

Green card ?? It worked for a lot of people i know

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
There's a happiness scale. Where are you at on it? The thread about moving to Scottsdale... pick YOUR Scottsdale.
.... It's about freedom. Your Arizona might be Boulder, Colorado. It might be Latvia. It might be Honolulu. It might be Jamaica. It might be Dallas, Texas.
.....You're running out of excuses as to why staying in your comfort zone makes sense. When you reach your breaking point, look for the escape hatch and take the exit. Life is short. Navigate yourself to where you want to be.

I love this thread @Vigilante. One of the things I am struggling with right now is that I feel like I am doing the opposite of what everyone else is doing. While they are moving to their dream destination as far as geography, climate, and weather....I'm in this strange scenario where I feel like I might have to leave the beautiful weather, seasons and topography of the Carolinas to go to the dry desert area of TX where there is no ocean or mountains or greenery like there is here, and that bothers me.

But, I feel like my life here has become stagnant and that it's time for a change. The business I am working on could be done from anywhere really. But there are reasons why perhaps I should go to Texas (family, friends, no income taxes, the manufacturers I want to use for my business are there, major metro, singles, more opportunities, etc)....but it's not my dream place.

I have been vacillating back and forth about it and trying to make a decision that would be 'good for me'. Honestly what I would prefer right now I couldn't afford anyway, like spending the summer in Santorini, Greece, or going back to Italy to live in Tuscany for 6 months. So... I have to face reality. I can't stay here anymore just for the weather. Something has to change soon. Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I had a nice boat on Lake Minnetonka. One year I decided to save a couple hundred bucks and winterize it myself. Apparently you need to get all of the water out of the block.

LOL, I'm laughing with you, not at you ;)

when i first got my tonka cruiser, i had toilet problems. Damn thing wouldn't work, and it got filled up from a boat full of people.

took it in and the marina told me I had to flip on the accessories switch on the control panel. dooohhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.