The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How did you stay positive considering how bad the circumstances were. I would like to hear your response on this?

Simple. I was on a road that converged with a dream. Just because I was on the shoulder on the road picking up dog-shit didn't mean I was to give up. In other words, my dream was ALIVE. These jobs would have been destructive if my dream was dead.

This is why if you have a passion for something and are on the right road, the garbage jobs can be endured.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest3722A

Simple. I was on a road that converged with a dream. Just because I was on the shoulder on the road picking up dog-shit didn't mean I was to give up. In other words, my dream was ALIVE. These jobs would have been destructive if my dream was dead.

This is why if you have a passion for something and are on the right road, the garbage jobs can be endured.

Thank you for saying this. It is this very reason that keeps me going no matter how difficult or desperate my life becomes.

Qjet50

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 26, 2007
Pearl City, HI
Had a few, but the worst was probably being a trimmer in a Dole pineapple cannery during the summer. Standing on the assembly line for an entire shift wearing an apron, rubber gloves, ear protection and a white cap. Machines were so noisy you could not talk to anyone. Eventually the pineapple juice would work its way onto your forearms and that together with rubbing the inside of the rubber gloves gave you a bad rash that would also break skin. After that summer, I could not eat pineapple for years.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you for saying this. It is this very reason that keeps me going no matter how difficult or desperate my life becomes.

Glad to see this edited =) ... don't want to think about losing one of our Fastlane brothers!

G

Guest3722A

Glad to see this edited =) ... don't want to think about losing one of our Fastlane brothers!

Thank you for saying that. It means a lot to me. I'm ok. I've been dealt one too many bad hands though and just getting sick of it.

I don't know where to turn and being in the position I'm in without much control with my living situation and now getting scammed (and you mentioned it seemed like a scam) but I blindly moved forward anyway because I'm so desperate to make it out of the situation I got myself into.

rxcknrxll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 16, 2008
Space
waiter at sirloin stockade
waiter at steak n shake
cook at vinos
cook at pizza hut
dave's bitch - fixed horribly clogged toilets and sink drains at rental properties for money under the table
usher at movie theater
car wash dude
music store clerk

It's been a while, but I remember like it was yesterday :)

gotbalz

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 2, 2010
New Yawk
cleanup up garbage in stands after minor league baseball game
grocery cashier
pizza maker
car wash attendant
tire changer, oil changer
tractor trailer driver
masons helper
framer
roofer
lawn mowing- I guess that wasnt too dead end because that lead me in to the business I have run for 10 years now.

Like some posters have said before me, all of these jobs have shaped the person I am today and have given me skills that not everybody has. I am glad that I worked every one of those jobs, even though the pay was brutal.

asianist

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 23, 2010
Planet Tokyo
My jobs have always straddled the line between shit and 'respectable', ie: office jobs, by-the-hour temping, the kind of thing most are satisfied with but I always scored the ones with few benefits and no chance for advancement. In many ways they're the most dangerous type of job because life is somewhat comfortable (if not great) allowing you to slip into a groove and pretend you're doing OK. You only notice when you find yourself still on the lower rungs after several years.

If you're the kind who's motivated by hitting rock bottom or by tough conditions, then office jobs are the sugary syrup at the bottom that cushions your fall and stops you from bouncing up to something greater.

Me, I just got really bored.

mesmerized

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Nov 8, 2010
I think I'm in one now.
Students get the worse jobs ever to support themselves.
I work at a grocery store as a check-out clerk and its the worse job ever. I can never use my sick days, even though I have 6 of them, the managers are the most ruthless people ever: I nearly pasted out from dehydration/asthma episode and asked one of my managers to call an ambulance, he refused; told me to call it myself. Then I got chewed out for having to go home after the paramedic told me home or hospital.
I can't wait to graduate so I can get the heck out of this one.
P.S. Can you believe my store has a Union?

RyanG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Nov 25, 2010
West Hollywood, CA
-Dishwasher
-Busser/Bar back
-Pizza delivery
-Telemarketing (good times :smilielol:)
-Selling Persian and Oriental rugs INSIDE Mervyn's (one was $300gs)
-Skip Tracing
-Retail sales
-Catering delivery

These are just the shitty ones, I had some decent jobs that I enjoyed too.

skyhigh

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 28, 2009
--clothing factory: putting tags on the dress, shirts, etc. 10 cents for each dress.

--Library: shelve books

--sports card trading for quick cash

--Buy and sell on ebay: buy stuff with rebate, misplaced category items, hot items( PSP, world of warcraft, WII, PS3)

--Website manager

--Started a toy company with a friend: my friend came up with the design and he funded everything. I did everything else: hand coded the e-commerce site, managing the website, web hosting, importing toys from china, filing trademarks, copyrights, file sales tax, social marketing, tracking sales, package the toys, finding storage room, do the custom broker, so much stuffs going on. One most important thing that I learn is you don't want to do business with your friends because there's no friend when comes to business.

--Start blogging on my own and it's not going well.

--U.S census

--Now, just got a project based job as a mover: moving computers

s... is not going well for me. yesterday, I just said to myself, I'm better than this!

Bozigian

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Oct 13, 2010
I do not know if I can call it an official job. But where I live in the sorta ghetto. I did a flyer job which if I knew how it turned out then I would have never tooken the job. Basically I called the number on the flyer and little did I know it was going to be a gangster. Yes A GANGSTER that I would work for. Basically he would give us Carls JR coupon books to sell for 10$ each and he would get 7$ out of every sell we make. Basically this stupid gangster did not want to work and wanted us to work. I basically worked from 3 to 9 for free. He would transport me to various supermarkets and I would have attacked him but he had his other "gangster friends" on the ride too so I couldnt do anything. I didnt sell shit but I got a couple of girls phone numbers:groove:

BigEasy25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 4, 2010
New Orleans, LA
I have had some pretty bad ones. Inflatable spacewalk delivery guy, a/c filter factory, carwash, telemarketer (actually learned some skills from this one), and traveling car sales.

alainn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Sep 6, 2010
All my jobs so far basically have been dead-end jobs haha...

1. pizza boy
2. pharmacy clerk
3. telemarketer
4. busboy
5. busboy
6. housekeeper
6.5 computer lab tech
7. worked on a farm
8. worked in recycling
and more.....

time for the fastlane!

PookDo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 5, 2011
I've worked at every fast food shit hole I can think of.
I worked at a gas station for just under 10 years and was more or less running the place when I left but wasn't getting paid to
Right now I work in the video repair department of the local call center for comcast. I spend my day getting yelled at when people can't watch their televisions.

EdwardWhite

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Feb 27, 2011
Fort Worth, Texas
I go thru people dirty underwear looking for bombs. Aka Im a baggage screener. We then get screamed at for calling in sick one day. And this is suppost to be the dream job(working for the government)!

And here I am throwing it all away to start a businesses! At least, that what everyone thinks at work if I talk about it. If I hear one more story about aunt dean and water filters in their garage, Im going to scream.

lithius

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Mar 3, 2011
New York N.Y
*Construction hole digger for Disney. i was not allowed to talk to the architects(that shitty). got paid $40 a day for 9 hours of work. this was while i was living in someone elses living room i might add.
*Dishwasher
*folded clothes that were coming off fresh off an industrial sized drying machine at a big hotel.
*car salesman(yes they are as big a liars as you have heard) although i did learn some lethal selling techniques on this one.
*Telemarketer for timeshare company. (learned on this too)

ClintonSkakun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Mar 26, 2011
D
Haha, i did bagging as a first job. My second job was stocking grocery shelves. Made $10/hr after a few 10cent raises. Spent my measly earnings on cigars, old cars and clothes.

Jakeybu

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 16, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
All my jobs have been a dead-end jobs.

1. Movie Theater Clerk
2. Then I was "promoted" and became a Movie Theater Assistant Manager
3. Motorcross Safety Flagger
4. Telemarketer... I sold dance lessons.
5. No-tell Motel Front Desk Clerk/Housekeeper... I have cleaned up after swinger parties. Not fun!
6. Then I was "promoted" and became a No-tell Motel Assistant Manager
7. Insurance Sales (probably the least crappy of all my crappy jobs)
8. Loss Prevention
9. Pizza Delivery
10. Fast Food Cook

I have a Criminal Justice degree. I never really did anything with it because I realized risking life and limb for a paycheck really wasn't for me.

In my humble opinion, you're working a dead-end job anytime you work for someone else... No matter how many promotions you earn, no matter how many raises you earn, no matter what job title you earn, if you're working for someone else there will always be at least one person standing in your way.

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
1) Little league baseball umpire
2) Bartender (several different times)
3) Temp at ad agency (cold called radio stations)
4) Law Clerk
5) Waiter
6) Waiter for catering company at events
7) Produce stocker
8) Temp at non profit - prepared mailers

Cmon guys ... DEAD END SHIT JOBS!

Property Manager, Realtor, Bartender ... these are respectable jobs! Mopping floors and scooping up turds in backed-up toilets aren't!

gross.jpg

Ok I stand corrected! Sorry!

Nice lists everyone. One has to experience these kinds of jobs to get appreciation for the latter ones. A thing that can make a shit job tolerable are the little extra perks..which I fully exploited at every opportunity. :)

So, from the top:

1. Arby's cashier. Oooh boy. First job ever at 15, hired 4 weeks before I turned 16. I was getting paid $5.60 (got a raise after 6 months to 5.75!) Folks who started at 16 got paid 7.50. So I fully made up for this by eating extra Sbarros and chicken fingers. Working here for a year was enough to never make me consider fast food again.

2. Working at Mall of America at those pay a buck try to get the ball in the hoop games - or make a ping pong ball into a cup thats floating around game. The best part was working the baskeball games because I would just work on my jumpshot all day. Taught me how to work under massive pressure (ever had 30 people surrounding you at one time all wanting something?)

3. Sears men's and women's departments stacking clothes. Men changing room is nothing - but women, they would leave piles of clothes on the floor - like 20 items. I would look at this mess and say "No thanks". Fired after 10 days after I went to lunch and saw a modeling contest. I liked the cute girls who were in it and joined the contest- had to do the walk and interview. Came back from 15 minutes lunch two hours later.

4. Pizza delivery - great money for a kid, pulled over twice within 5 minutes once and got away every time since I am a delivery boy (didn't even have the pizza in the heating bag at the time) Free food, pop. Not bad.

5. Chipotle. Did you know those carnitas (pork) and barbacoa (Spicy beef) meats come in one solid frozen block, and then you have to use your hands to pick them apart so they are nice and shredded for serving? Ever worked in front of a deep fryer and made a day's worth of chips? And all this fun started at 8am 2 hours before the store even opened. I lasted 2 months.. I honestly don't know why.

6. Dominos Pizza driver - nothing new, except that I worked on the college campus (private school at that) Can we say PERKS?! Especially during those 1-2am runs when I was offered such tips as: Shots, weed, makeouts, games of beer pong.. etc. I've also met a stripper who was.. umm naked and invited me in. and a few cool people along the way.

7. Cingular. Sales. Since working as the delivery guy I realized that working is dumb unless you are getting commission or tips. Got decent commissions here, and was making $14/hr average (this is just 2 years after making $6 an hour at Arbys) Learned sales here

8. Bartender. Enter Joy and Bliss. First in a semi- college crowd bar, later at a private golf course. I believe no further explanation is needed. Hot co-workers, great money, fun atmosphere. You learn how to deal with stress and pressure when times get busy, how to keep your cool, how to be witty and how to flirt. And just for MJ - I had to pick up shit off the bathroom floor and clean the toilet once.

I am just 23, and don't even know what to try else - It seems I should just work for myself since there isn't much else that's as fun and makes money. Or I shouldn't work much at all and just go travel for months at a time.

Bartending can be hit or miss. If you're in a decent place, it can be damn good money (Ive pulled as much as $60/hr and my bro has done better than that) but the wrong place can make it a shit job in a big hurry.

NOT SHIT16 - HVAC fab shop - Alright, beat working fast food and so did the money

SHIT 17 - Small Machine Shop - Spent the time running gear cutting machines and deburring parts. Dear christ was it boring

SHIT 18 - Traffic Flagger - Crap job because I was working for temp service where I made slightly above minimum wage and but still got worked like a dog and ultimately, nearly hit. I would work this job for 2 years ultimately.

SHIT 18 - Bouncer - I was bouncing at an underage night spot. Had a gun pulled on me, got to sort recycling at the end of the night. Sucked

SHIT 18 - US Army - Sent to Benning for Infantry, and promptly found myself suffering for other's laziness. I would be sent back after 3 months with flat feet and collapsing arches.

SHIT 18 - Back to flagging

NOT SHIT 20 - Sheet metal forming machine operator/ laser cutter operator/ MIG Welder - Worked for a manufacturing plant cutting forming and welding components for commercial bakery equipment. Did you know that the rack ovens in prisons have special features to keep inmates from locking each other in them and cooking each to death? 3 years

SHIT!!! 23/24 - Auto sales - Worked at a Ford dealer and was somehow talked into leaving my mfg job to join the sales force. After 3 months, I nearly starved.

SHIT 24 - Construction - Work a construction crew for my uncles contracting business which will later go belly up

SHIT 24 - Sales again - Gun shop. Coworkers made it fun. Pay sucked. Owner was jackass. I would tell him to pound sand after a year

SHIT 25 - Runner - I was the one tasked with retrieving stock from the warehouse of a large marine supply. This involved 2 flights of stairs down and back up. I would hold this job for 2 years because they couldn't convince anyone else to do it. I later moved into electrical/engine parts sales. Sales wasn't bad. Might have stayed if they moved me to outside sales.

SHIT 27 - Manager - Indoor firing range. Due to the marine supply refusing to move me into a management role, I seek something else. I end up working for an indoor firing range part time when I get promoted to management after being the one that caught a coworker embezzling money (he was charged and convicted as I recall). I then get to get a$$ chewings over stuff my primadonna employees aren't doing (a couple of the guys were good though). We get to sweep up lead and copper bullet jackets each night. I get chewed for not doing something to secure the scrap brass area on the outside of the building after the scrap is stolen one night (hmm exactly when did external structures become my problem?). And ultimately quit on Dec 26th because the owner is an ahole. Oddly enough, he had the spotlight on him a couple years before as the DC Sniper's rifle was stolen from his shop.

NOT SHIT 28-now Bartend and teach bartending - I actually enjoy bartending and teaching it as well. And bartending can become borderline fastlane. Anyone who doesn't think so should look up Tony Abu Ganim. Not my choice though as i know my fastlane..............

website should be live in a couple of weeks and I'm hoping I can score some free pr for it after i get it to where I need it.......

the domain name is festivalsunlimited.com (hope its sexy enough MJ lol)

Lovecraft

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 24, 2011
Oh man.

1) Data entry clerk

- Cushy in some respects for a 14 year old, as they were lax on me making myself cups of tea and surfing the internet so long as I got the work done. But sooooo boring. I had to spend my entire weekends copying faxed over walls of data. Though the upside was that having money at that age made me popular with the ladies.

2) Charity collector

- Standing outside with a bucket, asking people for money. Nowadays I give money to people doing this whatever the cause, as I know how rude and disrespectful the public can be.
"Spare some change for charity sir?" "Get out of my face you F*cking scrounging leech."
"Do you mind if I collect outside your shop ma'am?" "Get out of here. You'll scare off my customers, and I'll lose my job and be reduced to carrying around a bucket like you."

3) Dishwasher

- Nasty. That's all I can say. And the place was super busy, and I was the only dishwasher there, so I had to work at maximum for the full 7 hour shift.

4) Mcdonalds

- On the cash registers, which I didn't mind as most of the customers were cool, and the ones who weren't directed most of their anger towards my foreign coworkers, which made me feel sort of simultaneous guilt and relief. Unless I got one supervisor who had taken a personal dislike to me, in which case I was scrubbing the toilets, and cleaning the grills.

5) Charity subscription seller

- Even worse than charity collection, as I was now trying to sell people subscriptions. Though the money was much better.

Oh, and I once took initiative, and tried to sell sandwiches to commuters if that counts. I think I worked out that my profits put me on £5.20 per hour. Which is £0.75 below UK minimum wage.

Ben Middleton

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 26, 2011
First post.

I work for my family in a tiny room at the back of a hotel they own. I've been basically running this hotel for around 4-5 years well they've been living the good life in a mansion (cost around 495k) before the recession. I also collect rent from 7 other property's they own.
My Job Involves letting drunks/guest into the hotel at all times in the morning.
Getting up at 7:30 every Morning Monday-Friday Doing Breakfasts for guest for 3 hours.
Then i have to go around to the property's chasing tenants for their Rent, Gas, and electric.
Then coming back to the hotel and restarting over again.

I've not been on holiday like the rest of my family. I can't think of a time I've had more then 3 days off either. To top things off I'm struggling with debts due to my gym/mobile contract which in total cost me £75 a month.

One day hopefully with one of my little side projects I'll be able to move on forward in life and never look back.

Another Job i had which was kinda mad was looking after stuff for certain people getting paid basically £460 a week for holding stuff in my safe. I got paranoid and stopped doing it. A month later my room got raided.

£460 a week to me was living the dream. :)

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
My worst jobs?

1) Construction - I worked for my uncle, who is a general contractor. He was a pretty shady contractor - tell people he'd be there tomorrow, and not show up for a week; have me answer his phone and tell the guy on the other end that my uncle was in a meeting. I was so stupid - he was having cashflow problems, so I worked for him just on the promise of getting paid. I did eventually get paid, but I was such a doormat for his problems. As they say, never work for/with family.

2) Landscaping - This one was only bad because of the weather and the pay. I really enjoyed having time by myself to think, and when you're mowing a gigantic lawn, nobody bothers you. The downside was having to work in the heat of the summer and the cold of the winter (if I wasn't laid off for the winter). I got out of this one by getting married and getting my wife to support me while I finished college.

3) Video store - Worked for a guy from my church. He was pretty shady, too. He got in trouble for renting out copies of the screening videos that the studios send to video stores - they say "SCREENING VIDEO - NOT FOR SALE OR DISTRIBUTION" on the bottom of the screen while you watch them. Plus, I never worked out with him what he was paying me per hour. I just showed up and he would give me some cash every couple weeks.

I don't blame anyone but me for working those crappy jobs. I wasn't ready for anything bigger, so I stayed in the squalor I was comfortable with. Now? I've moved on up to a more comfortable slow lane job working for the U.S. Navy. It pays the bills and then some, but I am not free, and it eats at my soul. That is what motivates me to work to get in the Fast Lane.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
F*ck all jobs especially office jobs they are all dead end. I would rather tend a bar or waiter part time. Jobs serve ONE purpose to me and that is to MAKE ENDS MEET while I am working on something for MYSELF.

Using that definition, the best job gets your minimum living expenses paid in the least amount of time.

That is why you would see my business degree wilding a$$ serving you lobster. Because I am always trying to stay free for opportunities and to work on my own thing.:rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
On second thought I would take an apprenticeship with an more successful entrepreneurial than myself to learn some things. That is about the only acceptable job working for someone else in my opinion. I would still treat it as a temporary job though.

lightweight99

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 13, 2009
Kentucky
1. Dishwasher at local steak house ; 6 months
2. Dishwasher at cracker barrel ; 8 months
3. Sales at Home Depot ; 5 years
4. Stocker at grocery store ; 3 months
5. UPS store ; 4 months
6. Sales & merchandising at Scotts miracle Gro ; 4 months.

Laid off for a total of 6 months

It has definitely been an experience. I can't stand it. Waking up at 5 am to pull 1,000 lb pallets to make $800.00 every two weeks. Horrible. The thought of going back to school is enticing. Getting my Bachelors in Network administration but I know it will never reward me as much as fastlane can.

It was a good learning experience, definitely put things in perspective. :smxF:

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
McDonald's Grill Cook and Cashier in high school - Crappy for obvious reasons. But I got a lot out of it. About half the staff there were ex-cons from the nearby halfway house. Scary at first, but they were all nice to me and I learned a lot more about life from them than I would have from other teenagers. Learned a lot about people in general too. You can tell a lot about a person by how they treat strangers who they have no motive to be nice to. The memory that sticks out the most was the well-dressed guy driving a Cadillac who mocked me in front the entire restaurant for getting his change wrong. I promised myself after that, no matter how successful I become, I'll never, ever treat a cashier or anyone else that way.

UPS Truck Loader and Supervisor in college - The pay and benefits here were actually pretty decent, but the management at my facility was obsessed with putting up big load numbers, at the expense of quality and employee sanity. Learned a lot about how not to manage people, though.

As much as these jobs suck, they really are good for character building. It's hard to appreciate a good thing when you haven't had it that bad. I laugh sometimes at these recent college grads I work with who are experiencing their first job in a cushy chair at an air conditioned office, and find a way to complain about the lack of a premium coffee maker.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.