The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Has anyone’s battery power duration gone to shit since updating to the new iPhone iOS? My battery would last all day even in heavy use, now I can barely make it to 6pm. Wife reported the same battery issue of reduced longevity, all compliments of a new software update.

I wonder if buying the latest and greatest iPhone would magically solve the problem. ;)

Would not be surprised if this is not a bug, but a feature of the new OS.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Has anyone’s battery power duration gone to shit since updating to the new iPhone iOS? My battery would last all day even in heavy use, now I can barely make it to 6pm. Wife reported the same battery issue of reduced longevity, all compliments of a new software update.
Having the same issue here. My battery only lasts 4-5 hours without me even hardly using the phone.

Granted, I'm using an old 6s. But up until recently, my battery would last all day with no problem.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

This is one of the reasons why I avoid the updates. I’m still using an iPhone XS max.

Throughout updates I’ve notice:
-slower processing speeds.
-diminished battery life.
-slower data speeds.

It may be that the latest software version is optimized for the latest phone. Cause I mean what kind of person is still using an iPhone from 3 generations ago?

I could care less that my date doesn’t see me pull out the latest iPhone with 3 camera lenses on the dinner table. And I’m not gonna upgrade just for some aesthetic feature. I already own pro photography gear and lenses.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Throughout updates I’ve notice:
-slower processing speeds.
-diminished battery life.
-slower data speeds.

Apple is on record saying they do this.

Ostensibly, the reason is to extend your battery life. It has "chemically aged" thus various features of your phone must now be "managed".

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Jake Gyllenhaal is in a movie where he plays a UFC fighter.

3e986c1a199e84f198cd67f6291476b7

Weigh-in
Walk-out
Knock-out

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Apple is on record saying they do this.

Ostensibly, the reason is to extend your battery life. It has "chemically aged" thus various features of your phone must now be "managed".

I never understood why they are trying to make the phones as thin as possible (8mm).
It looks like shit, the battery lasts 4 hours, and I can't even pick it up or hold it properly.

I would much rather use a 20mm thick brick with a giant battery that lasts 7 days straight.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Probably stepped up the spying more - that mic and camera running all day use some extra juice.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

UK_Mike

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 10, 2020
North West UK
Having the same issue here. My battery only lasts 4-5 hours without me even hardly using the phone.

Granted, I'm using an old 6s. But up until recently, my battery would last all day with no problem.
I also use a 6S, my battery life varies but our current cold weather doesn't help. Leaving it overnight will see it down to 1%, but it soon jumps back up to 70-odd after a short charge time. I think 1% covers a lot of actual power levels - it'll still take a photo on 1%, which seems strange.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
I also use a 6S, my battery life varies but our current cold weather doesn't help. Leaving it overnight will see it down to 1%, but it soon jumps back up to 70-odd after a short charge time. I think 1% covers a lot of actual power levels - it'll still take a photo on 1%, which seems strange.
This is a known problem with older iPhones thanks to their aluminum back cover. From 8 upwards, they use more thermally resistant glass cover design.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Is the Myers-Briggs meaningful or meaningless?

From my understanding it's not very highly regarded in professional circles, but at the same time you may find some of the questions / descriptions personally insightful.

Personally I've never been a fan of defining personality types into little boxes. I think "knowing yourself" and knowing your strengths and weaknesses is extremely good, but I've always found that the types of people who love these personality tests tend to lean on them as excuses or crutches a little too often. For example - they'll cancel on a social event and blame their "introverted" type, or they use being a "judging" type as a license to be an a**hole.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
Another noob question from me regarding digital marketing agencies:
Can you work for somebody that's not in your area? In another state? Country? Continent? Like, can it happen fully digitally?
Would help me out, thanks!
Hey Piano, what happened to the window washing gig? Wasn't working out so far?

Imo you have waaaaaay more leverage and potential upside with that physical service business. I have a buddy who started as a power washer when he dropped put of highschool, switched into painting and now runs a multi-million construction company with 40+ employees. You sure you want to trap yourself in one of the most saturated market slices known to man?

I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I do WD but it's something I can do around my job- even then it's been hellish doing outreach and fighting for sales and I'm doing cold calls which less than 0.5% of people are willing to do. Either way best of luck.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

From my understanding it's not very highly regarded in professional circles, but at the same time you may find some of the questions / descriptions personally insightful.

Personally I've never been a fan of defining personality types into little boxes. I think "knowing yourself" and knowing your strengths and weaknesses is extremely good, but I've always found that the types of people who love these personality tests tend to lean on them as excuses or crutches a little too often. For example - they'll cancel on a social event and blame their "introverted" type, or they use being a "judging" type as a license to be an a**hole.
Makes sense to me. I agree with you. I found a few insights from this one, mostly that I"m in the middle on a few of them (50/50 I/E, 50/50 T/F, heavy on the N and heavy on the J) but overall it's not really that useful. I think the Big Five is more useful. It showed me what I needed to work on.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Hey Piano, what happened to the window washing gig? Wasn't working out so far?

Imo you have waaaaaay more leverage and potential upside with that physical service business. I have a buddy who started as a power washer when he dropped put of highschool, switched into painting and now runs a multi-million construction company with 40+ employees. You sure you want to trap yourself in one of the most saturated market slices known to man?

I'm a bit of a hypocrite since I do WD but it's something I can do around my job- even then it's been hellish doing outreach and fighting for sales and I'm doing cold calls which less than 0.5% of people are willing to do. Either way best of luck.
Thank you for your message!
I believe that my ability for this kind of side hustle is kind of bad. I can't drive a car to carry around my equipment with me and get my own a$$ around. I have to resort to trains/foot.
Something that also *really* bugs me is the quality of the work that I can do.
I don't have a ladder and only can use a telescopic pole, which is troubling for the quality because I can't really check from down there and also really just can't reach everything (properly).
Store fronts are ok, but residential is seriously hard to do a good job with.

The only way I could imagine this to work is the following:
-Work a$$ off for long time in limited jobs and hire people
-get an adult teammate

But even then, I feel like it's just not worth it going this path.

And me seeing at-first-inexpierenced people who've been doing digital marketing for 1-3 months and already earn 2-5k makes me think "Wow, if they can do that, I sure can as well! Even if it's just half of that, 2.5k sounds awesome!"

I'm a bit conflicted myself on this, but perhaps it's the right decision.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I believe that my ability for this kind of side hustle is kind of bad. I can't drive a car to carry around my equipment with me and get my own a$$ around. I have to resort to trains/foot.
I don't have a ladder and only can use a telescopic pole, which is troubling for the quality because I can't really check from down there and also really just can't reach everything (properly).

-get an adult teammate

And me seeing at-first-inexpierenced people who've been doing digital marketing for 1-3 months and already earn 2-5k makes me think "Wow, if they can do that, I sure can as well! Even if it's just half of that, 2.5k sounds awesome!"

Ah yes, the old... I see that guy doing better than me so I'm going to do that thing instead.

Be careful with this kind of thinking. You might just end up chasing everybody else's ideas and never develop any expertise of your own.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

-get an adult teammate

Ah yes, the old... I see that guy doing better than me so I'm going to do that thing instead.

Be careful with this kind of thinking. You might just end up chasing everybody else's ideas and never develop any expertise of your own.
What the digital marketing folks don't tell you about-- are the midnight-hours they have to spend both looking over the marketing data and firefighting with clients or other departments.

(True story from my side)

So the folks can start out inexperienced. But the more time spent in the trenches, the more confidence that can be gained.

I feel though that my work in digital marketing could be made smoother if I took a job in it earlier. Learnt more of the proper ropes first, from someone who's been there, done that. If I were to take on physical work like window-washing...yes, I would be willing to work for someone first in that area to learn how things are done, so I might be able to make them better.

Keyword here is domain experience.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

-get an adult teammate

So you won’t wash windows because you won’t be able to do it perfectly but you’ll happily blow through someone’s ad budget and run all their marketing with no experience?

Please do not be another money chaser deciding to do smma. There’s enough of these guys F*cking over companies and giving the industry a bad name already.

If you’re young, why not just get a job at one and learn?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The furniture isn't the status symbol. The price is.
This is absolutely true. In my EXPLOIT book I provide a description of how AN OBSCENELY EXPENSIVE perfume was launched in 1930. at the height of the Great Depression. Even though it was marketed as “The World’s Most Expensive Perfume” it was a huge hit, with the price equalling the cost of 700 loaves of bread.
There's lots of definitions of marketing.
This thread provides my detailed definition of marketing, including aspects that are generally forgotten.

MARKETING IS NOT JUST ADVERTISING​

Walter

HOW TO MAKE YOUR AMAZON LISTING INTERESTING.

This is another thread dealing with important aspects of marketing includes details of the way I shocked my direct mail recipients, resulting in a staggeringly high response with orders.

Walter

Last edited:

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I woke up at 4:20am today so I could practise piano before school so that I have enough time after school.
Now it's 6:43 am and I finished practising like 30 minutes ago.
All I've been doing since then was listening to videos of bird sounds (I could just open my windows to hear them irl but it's cold outside)

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
This is absolutely true. In my EXPLOIT book I provide a description of how AN OBSCENELY EXPENSIVE perfume was launched in 1930. at the height of the Great Depression. Even though it was marketed as “The World’s Most Expensive Perfume” it was a huge hit, with the price equalling the cost of 700 loaves of bread.

This thread provides my detailed definition of marketing, including aspects that are generally forgotten.

MARKETING IS NOT JUST ADVERTISING​

Walter

HOW TO MAKE YOUR AMAZON LISTING INTERESTING.

This is another thread dealing with important aspects of marketing includes details of the way I shocked my direct mail recipients, resulting in a staggeringly high response with orders.

Walter
Do you have a Gumroad page or website with your books?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Today's Fastlane Idea:

Can you all send money for me?

Please set up PayPal account for me and compensate fees when you deposit.

I await your response.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Today's Fastlane Idea:

Can you all send money for me?

Please set up PayPal account for me and compensate fees when you deposit.

I await your response.
Please sir, what is your social security so I can send promised funds with all haste.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
First time back on the forum after a couple weeks away (vacation, then the upheaval of moving my fiancee into my house) and the first thread I clicked on is the "You'll never be rich, so don't try, just want less" one. Fired me up to get back to work. F*ck that guy, I'll never be satisfied with a mediocre life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.