The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I didn’t think they would make good interview questions either. Any time you ask something where an interviewee knows what you’re looking for skews the answers to the question and your assessment of the candidate. I want solid internal locus. No more external, ever. External locus employees make me want to quit business more than anything else I’ve ever dealt with.

From my list of questions there I landed on what I think is going to turn out to be a great way to identify locus.

Open ended:

Give me three examples of something fortunate that happened to you…

Give me three examples of something unfortunate that happened to you…

It tests a candidate’s ability to think on their feet, and the “happened to you” is the key phrase. We can all come up with unfortunate things that have happened to us in our lives, but if you start hearing a few things that they had control over “happening to them” you know what you are dealing with.

It’s hidden well and it’s not immediately evident to the candidate what you’re looking for and why you’re asking.

By the way my favorite interview question to ask is “What are some things you think I should know about you?”

If I was only going to ask one question, that would be it.

Hope this helps clarify.
I've had so many interviews over the years and mostly aced them, even when I didn't know what I was doing.

In one interview they asked technical questions until I couldn't answer one, just to see how I'd respond. Would I bullsh*t or would I say I didn't know?

I rubbed my chin and went "Hmm. I don't know what that is. I'd guess it's like XYZ for Windows. I'd look it up."

Apparently I got the job because I then said something like "Do you not think I could figure it out?" (That seems a bit blunt for me so I'm not sure what I said and what they heard.)

Another interview was probably my best ever. He asked what I did different from colleagues. I had to sit back and think.

"When my automated jobs run they always create a log file and within the log file I write the date and time and the command that was run for every single command. That way me, or someone else, can follow what was done and when, and see where something might have taken too long, and how to repeat it by hand if it failed."

He liked that.

His next question was "What's been your trickiest challenge in the last 12 months?"

I sat and thought again. "I presume you want one I solved?"

"That would be ideal." he replied. "We'd prefer to hire problem solvers."

I explained a scenario where doing Z took too long and the system ran too slow for users, so I did X and Y first, then Z was an instantaneous switch and users didn't notice.

"Oh, that's interesting. How long did those three steps take?"

"Aha, I have the log file here!" I exclaimed, and proceeded to dig out my portfolio (no other techies ever bring portfolios of work and logfiles btw). We stepped through the logfile together looking at the date-time stamp for each command.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
He sent an email to the discomfort club list that he is not doing discomfort club or posting on the forum anymore, he wants to be outside enjoying himself
I wish him the best, and that he finds what he's looking for.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm amazed at the opportunities little daily posts can bring.

I posted daily short videos to LinkedIn, TikTok, YouTube, and a Facebook page for a couple of weeks last year.

TikTok and YouTube got the most views by far, but LinkedIn and Facebook brought conversations and actual new business. (I suspect people are more inclined to connect and chat on LinkedIn and Facebook... plus I already had connections on those platforms and the daily posts seemed to remind people of me.)

So keep posting daily tidbits - video, images, memes, text notes, whatever.

People see them even if they don't engage.

You'll get better at posting, and you'll build up a history people can look through if they want to "check you out".

If you're stuck with what to post about, put the reader first. Post to help just one person and you'll not go far wrong.

I'm reminded yet again of my favourite business quote:

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person closest to you." (Mother Theresa)

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
Seems like a next youtuber got enlightenment. Thats cool.

One will tell you to grind as you have a limited time to get rich and the second one will say do nothing because you are great already just enjoy life, have memories.

One will sell you expensive courses about how to get rich to get your money and the second one who is already rich will tell you that you don't need to do anything because he dosen't want another competitor to his businesses.

Thats how I see it.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

"The decision, including a fine of 390 million euros ($414 million), has the potential to require Meta to make costly changes to its advertising-based business in the European Union, one of its largest markets."

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I thought his original version newsletter was amazing. Until the issue where he said “what if discomfort is not the answer” and basically it was not the same thing after. I unsubscribed and didn’t see his note about quitting the newsletter.

He's been on a multi-tiered quest (spiritual, business, mental health) since he's been here. Looks like now he's now on the step where you isolate yourself from other people, including the forum, in the name of social media abstinence. I'm all for dumping a lot of social media, however, the forum isn't the same as scrolling endless videos on TikTok, so I'm a bit surprised he came to that conclusion.

Happiness has to come from within.

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Oct 16, 2022
1672853989331.png

IMO this due to the fact that the "middle class" is also disappearing in the job world. Hard-working employees realize they'd be better off building a business so they quit. The employees left are the lazy ones.

I dont think it has anything to do with wokeness though, more with the "everybody is a winner" mentality and the infantilization of people.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
View attachment 46629

IMO this due to the fact that the "middle class" is also disappearing in the job world. Hard-working employees realize they'd be better off building a business so they quit. The employees left are the lazy ones.

I dont think it has anything to do with wokeness though, more with the "everybody is a winner" mentality and the infantilization of people.

The gig economy such as Uber driver is often forgotten, 10s of millions using this to survive, maybe not really a business but fuel to form a non-boss life.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
View attachment 46629

People don’t work hard at jobs anymore because most don’t believe they will become wealthy from 40 years saving 10%.

This drives a lot of people to wokeness but some to other higher leverage opportunities

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In the last week, I have witnessed two separate instances of people falling in public.

Just priming you to be useful in a scenario like that. Call 911 right away, don’t ask “are you ok” or “do you want an ambulance” take charge. They always say no. Someone is in clear distress. Your judgement is better than theirs. Don’t be a frozen idiot. Make the call. Get them help and stay with them until help gets there.

Idiots will ask them if they’re ok, no they’re not OK. They just fell.

First guy was in his 20s, probably had a seizure. We were at chipotle. Everyone was just standing around like idiots, and I was like what the hell is going on. They were just watching this guy lay in the floor. I called an ambulance and got down there with him and started talking to him. Let him know help was on the way.

Next guy was 77. Was chasing his little dog and fell hard in the neighborhood. I parked my truck in a way where he wouldn’t get run over, and caught his dog while I was on the phone with the 911. He also said he didn’t need an ambulance. He couldn’t get up and I refused to help him get up because I didn’t want to make a bad problem worse for him. I just hung out with him until, again, the ambulance got there. Helped him call his wife and joked with him about his pain in the a$$ dog.

Folks, take charge if you see this stuff. People are naturally wired to look for a leader. Don’t be one of them. Be the leader. Take charge of the situation. Be smart. Time matters. If it turns out they don’t want to ride in an ambulance that’s on them.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
In the last week, I have witnessed two separate instances of people falling in public.

Just priming you to be useful in a scenario like that. Call 911 right away, don’t ask “are you ok” or “do you want an ambulance” take charge. They always say no. Someone is in clear distress. Your judgement is better than theirs. Don’t be a frozen idiot. Make the call. Get them help and stay with them until help gets there.

First guy was in his 20s, probably had a seizure. We were at chipotle. Everyone was just standing around like idiots, and I was like what the hell is going on. They were just watching this guy lay in the floor. I called an ambulance and got down there with him and started talking to him. Let him know help was on the way.

Next guy was 77. Was chasing his little dog and fell hard in the neighborhood. I parked my truck in a way where he wouldn’t get run over, and caught his dog while I was on the phone with the 911. He also said he didn’t need an ambulance. He couldn’t get up and I refused to help him get up because I didn’t want to make a bad problem worse for him. I just hung out with him until, again, the ambulance got there. Helped him call his wife and joked with him about his pain in the a$$ dog.

Folks, take charge if you see this stuff. People are naturally wired to look for a leader. Don’t be one of them. Be the leader. Take charge of the situation. Be smart. Time matters. If it turns out they don’t want to ride in an ambulance that’s on them.
Okay, so I just wrote a whole thing about my experience collapsing at a beach bar last year, read over it and deleted it. My situation was a combination of dehydration and hypertension meds, but the people at the bar (and my girlfriend) had no way of knowing that and called an ambulance. I was fine and was annoyed that they'd bothered, but looking back it was the right thing to do. So yeah, just call the ambulance. If they need one, it gets there faster, and if they don't, it's just an inconvenience.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL

I've had two relatives fall recently. Both broke their lower legs. They aren't in the best of health but it has made life a bit difficult for them. Thankfully, one is now mostly recovered while the other needs rehab.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Underrated advice.

The bystander effect:

People assume other people are going to take action and thus their action isn't needed. People assume because other people haven't already taken action that action is unnecessary. It's uncomfortable but you've got to internalize the phenomenon so you can overcome it.

On a related note:

In a crisis situation "somebody call 911" will do nothing.
However - "You, sir, in the green shirt, get on the phone and call 911 while I assist this woman".
Individual acountability is the only thing that works.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Underrated advice.

The bystander effect:

People assume other people are going to take action and thus their action isn't needed. People assume because other people haven't already taken action that action is unnecessary. It's uncomfortable but you've got to internalize the phenomenon so you can overcome it.

On a related note:

In a crisis situation "somebody call 911" will do nothing.
However - "You, sir, in the green shirt, get on the phone and call 911 while I assist this woman".
Individual acountability is the only thing that works.
It’s weird for me too. Let me be clear. I’m not used to seeing stuff like that just happen. I got a rush of adrenaline right away.

But I believe I was better able to help the second guy because I internalized the proper reaction on the first guy. It’s shocking and weird to observe. Don’t wait. Just do.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Rally driver and YouTube star Ken Block dies in snowmobile accident aged 55

RIP

Sad, I really liked his stunts.
Ouch, I loved watching his stuff. The guy who really pushed my level on the mountain bike and got me to where I am now physically does some rally racing and used to hang out with Block from time to time.

RIP. A true madman who brought a ton of fun and happiness to the masses.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So for those of you who know me might know that I have some back issues from time to time. I really don't like to take relaxation and pain meds for when it acts up, but it was all I could do to literally not end up in the emergency room, and sometimes they still did not work.

So I was turned on to a combination of CBG+CBD oil, and figured I would give it a try. It was insanely expensive so I almost did not try it, but I don't want to have liver or kidney issues from eating Methocarbamol like candy, which doesn't always work anyways. A 30mL bottle of this stuff cost me $78 CAD which is INSANE! I can get over 100 pills of whatever poison from Costco for less than $20.

So the last week I have been waking up to some sciatic nerve pinching which causes pain to radiate from my lower back down to my foot, and its a sign that things are about to get bad (not good with two toddlers in the house). I take like 0.7mL of the oil, and within about half an hour I feel 0 pain or issues in my back. It has happened about 3-4 times now, so I am past the point where I think it is a coincidence.

THIS IS INSANE!!! I am still early in trying this, and I tried some low dose CBD before that I don't think did anything, but if this CBG+CBD actually does what it appears to be doing, this could be a literal life changer for me. I even went tobogganing with my kids yesterday, and I took nothing today and feel absolutely perfect. It is crazy.

The only issue for me right now is the price. I am pretty sure out dear and lovely government has lumped these oils in with "recreational" parts of the plant, and so they are also taxed too high hell with the "sin tax". Gotta love the government. Can it be used for recreation or entertainment? LETS TAX IT 500% of its VALUE!!!! YAY!!!!!!! Cartel, stealing their piece of the pie since the dawn of time. It pisses me off that what could potentially be a literal life saver gets thrown into that as well.

Anyone here have experience with this helping out pain and body issues?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Anyone here have experience with this helping out pain and body issues?

And who got you to try it? Glad it's working!
Yes, I still use CBD as needed. Especially when I push too hard on some workouts yet need a good night sleep. It's been great and not addictive in any way, which I like. Meaning, I can go on and off at any time and don't miss it when I don't need it.

Thrilled to see you better bud, health issues can really derail the rest of life enjoyment.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
He's been on a multi-tiered quest (spiritual, business, mental health) since he's been here. Looks like now he's now on the step where you isolate yourself from other people, including the forum, in the name of social media abstinence. I'm all for dumping a lot of social media, however, the forum isn't the same as scrolling endless videos on TikTok, so I'm a bit surprised he came to that conclusion.

Happiness has to come from within.

100% agree. It comes form within.

Hope @MTF finds himself and some stability. It sounds too painful to be on multi-tiered quests. Life is short as it is...

I believe humans to be social animals, isolation is good in moderation only.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Unpopular opinion: School counselors are useless and a waste of resources. Such a job exists only to give people something to work at. It's about as useful as gender studies.

Isaac Odongo

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Nov 7, 2022
Uganda
Yesterday I was reading Aesop's Fables. Some serious wisdom in them, and fun too.
I recently read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck, it shows me America had to work its way to wealth and freedom, something many people in other parts miss out.
Somebody trying to convince to take a course called Ghostwriting Income Generator. Have gone through a few terms of engagement and it seems the income comes at a greater intellectual loss than the money earned by light years. It is like giving away intellectual property for a few thousand dollars.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When you share your laptop with a 12 year old gamer...

He's somehow figured out how to get the keys super sensitive. I try to delete one letter and sentences are deleted instantly.

I've tried undoing it but can't figure it out, and I was in IT for 15 years.

Can't believe I have to wait till he's home from school to help me fix it...

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Considering setting up a store on Shopify but not sure it is the right platform for your need ? Here is a little trick: instead of signing up for a free 14 days trial with a credit card, go to shopify.dev, create an account and you'll be able to build a regular store, no credit card required. The store page will be password protected, so of course you won't be able to sell with it, this is just to try it out.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
514%
Jul 9, 2018
The best use of your money

At the start of your wealth creation phase, investing $100/month in your affiliate marketing website will make you more $$$ in 5 years than investing the same $100/month in the stock market.

Business first, investing next.

Above is just an example. You can substitute affiliate marketing with any business.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

He's somehow figured out how to get the keys super sensitive. I try to delete one letter and sentences are deleted instantly.

Disclaimer: the above post had 1,000 words of additional detail about attempts to fix keyboard sensitivity. However, during a routine spell check, most of it was deleted.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

If AI was a woman, I would marry.
She is.
When is the wedding?
What kind of cake are you serving to Fastlane attendees?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

It boggles my mind knowing that while we in the current generation are still experimenting with AI, the future generations (that are still unborn) will come into this world that already has AI running stuff. It'll be so integral in their lives that they can't even imagine a world without it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Unpopular opinion: School counselors are useless and a waste of resources. Such a job exists only to give people something to work at. It's about as useful as gender studies.
Honestly, I agree. I think if they were treated as real therapists for certain students they might have value, but they don't get any real time with any of them. And most of them are not as good as therapists you pay for at private practice.

Some of those kids definitely need help. School counselors aren't helping anybody.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.