The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will ChatGPT destroy copywriters and developers in the next few years?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

john09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 19, 2022
Hello friends!

I'm curious about the current trend of chat GPT and whether copywriting will continue to be a high-income skill in 2023.

I aim to make $10,000 in the coming year but lack specific skills.

I'm considering pursuing a career as either a full-stack developer or a copywriter, but I'm unsure which path would be most lucrative in the long term.

Can you provide any insights or advice on this matter?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hello friends!

I'm curious about the current trend of chat GPT and whether copywriting will continue to be a high-income skill in 2023.

I'm considering pursuing a career as either a full-stack developer or a copywriter, but I'm unsure which path would be most lucrative in the long term.

It never was a high income skill and $10,000 is not a high income.

Raise your expectations. You can make $10,000 in the coming year working part time at Burger King.

My opinion is that your current plan is setting you up to spin wheels.

john09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 19, 2022

It never was a high income skill and $10,000 is not a high income.

Raise your expectations. You can make $10,000 in the coming year working part time at Burger King.

My opinion is that your current plan is setting you up to spin wheels.
Thanks for your response, brother.

I'm from India, and here, $10K per year is a dream income for a 23-year-old.

I agree with you about thinking big.

Shono

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Aug 8, 2021

idk to me it seems chatGPT is just parroting mainstream media, and wont discuss hot topics like how to make my weiner bigger, it's very sad

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Hello friends!

If you were a good full stack developer from India I would hypothetically happily pay you $20k a year with even minimal experience.

If you were a copywriter from India with 10 years experience I would still make you jump through hoops to prove that you could write copy to the level I desire and eventually maybe I could pay you $10k a year or more.

See the difference?

Now, I'm not sure I answered your question. Because you asked about the long-term. And if you're on this forum, and that means building a business. And if you're building a business, then you're going to need more skills than just copywriting or coding. So to answer your question I need to know a little more.

What kind of business are you planning on building?

And you probably don't know yet. So it comes down to this question...

What is a problem in the world that you were trying to solve that people will pay you to solve?

If I knew that, I can get better advice on what your long-term prospects are for coding or copywriting. Hope that helps.

john09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 19, 2022
If you were a good full stack developer from India I would hypothetically happily pay you $20k a year with even minimal experience.

If you were a copywriter from India with 10 years experience I would still make you jump through hoops to prove that you could write copy to the level I desire and eventually maybe I could pay you $10k a year or more.

See the difference?

Now, I'm not sure I answered your question. Because you asked about the long-term. And if you're on this forum, and that means building a business. And if you're building a business, then you're going to need more skills than just copywriting or coding. So to answer your question I need to know a little more.

What is a problem in the world that you were trying to solve that people will pay you to solve?

If I knew that, I can get better advice on what your long-term prospects are for coding or copywriting. Hope that helps.

Thanks, brother, for your valuable advice.

I've had one year of experience as a mechanical engineer, but I will never do my mechanical job again, and I don't want to start any businesses in this field. Currently, the pay is very low (I make $200/mo) and there is a lot of competition in business.

I want to change my career path from mechanical to IT or any other path that pays better.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It will destroy anything that is "white collar Manuel routine task". I used chatgpt to screen up grammatical errors and give me proper academic citations for free where other apps charge for a fee. While chatgpt is perhaps not as good as specialized app with increased learning it soon will.

It will destroy anything that is "creative". They can just write poems, essays and do design as well. Information compilation, transposition and presentation could be done with sufficient natural language processing capability.

It has not yet, (not anytime soon), to be capable of deductive reasoning that a 7 year old is capable of. This is the issue that present AI technology could not break through. If you teach a child how to use a small hammer, and teach him that u need to crack open a nut before eating the fruit, the child can draw the link and use the hammer to smash the nut to get the fruit. The present AI is not capable of doing so unless you specifically taught it to do so. It can only rely on existing data and information. That's why u use AI routinely giving answers that is over generic.

It is not going to replace skilled manual labor such as fixing water pipes and household electrical system.

The present AI seems like a "google accelerator' where it saves the 20 min of my own general research via google and give me a quick and good answer. But itself is a good amazing achievement.

As currently I am using chatgpt actively. The hype over it as I can witness is REAL. It probably going to replace the time of you using a lot of other software (free or paid). You can do much work using shorter time. Just for investment research for example, it used to take 20-30 min to understand a company or project (which you never heard of) at a superficial level, and have your brain crashed needing a 10 min rest. you just need 3 min now with chat gpt.

The best product market fit perhaps is in the education industry currently.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019

I'm from India, and here, $10K per year is a dream income for a 23-year-old
From India 23 Year Old.
I would strongly recommend you to learn programming.
It is one of the highest paid Jobs in the world and as a bonus you can always start side projects.

Not a big deal, but I make 16k USD as a SDE1(<1YOE) and plan to get next job within next 6 months with 50k USD Salary.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to change my career path from mechanical to IT or any other path that pays better.
Is this for a job, or to start a fledgling business?

If for a business then I suggest providing a B2B service as a freelancer to get an immediate revenue stream, learn how to sell yourself, and to rub shoulders with business owners. If that's the case then what can you make a sale at this week, or who can you help this week?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019

See the difference?

Hands Down, Could not agree more.

PS: Just to make the figure more realistic, for the first year or two (if op is not being smart about it) is looking to make around 5k a year.

Last edited:

john09

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 19, 2022
From India.
I would strongly recommend you to learn programming.
It is one of the highest paid Jobs in the world and as a bonus you can always start side projects.

Not a big deal, but I make 16k USD as a SDE1(<1YOE) and plan to get next job within next 6 months with 50k USD Salary.
That's amazing brother. Can you share more about how you learned it and any specific courses you do?

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
That's amazing brother. Can you share more about how you learned it and any specific courses you do?
Youtube and Udemy suffice for learning.
I did have a formal education in IT however I learned it from courses and youtube.

In programming, googling (finding answers) is a real skill(you need to learn that, so don't ask just google and youtube would work), I would suggest you find on what you need to learn, then where to learn it.

before anything master html css and js. DM me if you need help.

p.s. college placements were terrible, so don't think that college helped me. I took 6 months break (was exhausted after college).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You seem preoccupied with learning. Is your end goal to get a job, or to go freelancing and setup a business?

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
It will be a long time before a competitive business completely replaces someone with this.

That’s just my opinion, but the reason I think that’s the case is because for something like copywriting - intuition is very important.

You want to have a particular impact on a potential buyer. You need to speculate on how reading something will make them feel about your product / business.

ChatGPT can generate things that will make people feel particular ways, but it’s not going to be as selective or nuanced.

What it generates can be refined and curated - and that may become a copywriter’s role (along with other professions).

For example, ChatGPT does VERY well with translations.. but someone who speaks two languages will read a line in a book and understand the author’s goals as more than just the information conveyed.

They would see that the goal of a given line was to elicit a certain reaction in the reader and be able to make a better decision about what words would do the job better.

ChatGPT can translate and then the next person can go over everything and really focus on refining.

So, my opinion is that for at least the next 5 years ChatGPT will lower the work load (and potentially the necessary total work force). It will not be completely replacing people.

People without a lot of skill need to look out for sure though. I can already think of instances where I wouldn’t have made certain hires (just contractors) if I had chat gpt.

I sometimes hire someone lower skilled for drafting and higher skilled for the finished product. For me, it will already sometimes remove that first hire in its current state.

Longer term, who knows? The best position you can put yourself in is someone who is in charge of direction and development.

If you are responsible for deciding what is being done in the marketplace - you will be incredibly difficult to replace.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

I understand. My issue is with the entire discussion over “high income skills.”

Scalable entrepreneurship is not created by making yourself more valuable and selling your time for a higher rate. That is no different than having a job and deciding to go back to school to get a better job.

Develop leadership skills. Be bold enough to try to put the pieces of something bigger together. Let it be so big and outside of your skill set that you have no choice but to reach outside of your own skill set and resources to accomplish it.

This forum is not “the thousandaire freelance forum.” It was birthed out of the Millionaire Fastlane and typically, although not lately, we adhere to the CENTS framework.

Control
Entry
Need
Time
Scale

Much of the advice you have received here egregiously violates this framework.

If you are even slightly worried about ChatGPT, it’s the wrong pursuit.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
There were people about 30 years ago who said the internet was going to ruin this and ruin that. There's still people using the Yellow Pages instead of Google today. There's still people passing out flyers for marketing instead of using the internet.

If you think your job is going to be lost to Ai then it will. If you think it's going to help you then it will.

In one of my favorite books Good to Great there's a chapter about technology and how companies use it. You should go read it.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Haven't tried ChatGPT myself even though I write copy. But the other copy pros I follow on the emails like Kim Krause have tried it out.

Basically they find ChatGP is great for pulling together information, but it's still not very good for simplifying complex information into 'biteable' forms for less-scholarly customers/readers. (If you write copy for health products, some complex medical terms may be illegal to use, or downright difficult for non-doctor readers)

And of course the AI still can't write humorously or adopt our unique human tones.
Can it talk like a cowboy out of a Western? Or sternly like some strict drillmaster? I mean...depending on your market, you do have to consider tones.

I do think ChatGP can actually help with copywriting work though. There is some potential.

Probably we can ask it to do some research or introduce some writing prompts. But for the latter, you might need to try out a few different questions for better answers...and it MIGHT be faster to just hammer out copy the old-fashioned human way.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
ChatGPT has new competitors including one called You (you.com, click the YouWrite link at the top)
I don't remember if it was this one, or another one, that is able to browse the internet in real-time and write articles based on that, something which ChatGPT can't do (ChatGPT is limited to info up to 2021).

Anyway, here's some work from the You.com AI:

Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring! There are so many delicious and nutritious ways to fuel your body with the nutrients it needs. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or an elaborate meal, there are plenty of options that will make eating healthy both enjoyable and satisfying. Here are some ideas on how to eat healthily without sacrificing flavor:

1. Make smoothies - Smoothies can be a great way to get in your daily servings of fruits and veggies while also getting protein from yogurt or nut butter. Plus, they're incredibly easy to make! Just throw all the ingredients into a blender, blend until smooth, pour into a glass (or cup), and enjoy!

2. Try out different grains - Whole grain products like quinoa, farro, bulgur wheat provide essential vitamins as well as fiber which is important for digestion health . You can use them instead of white rice in dishes like stir-fries or casseroles – just add some vegetables for extra nutrition!

3. Incorporate more legumes into meals - Beans such as chickpeas , lentils , black beans etc., provide plant-based proteins that help keep us full longer than other sources . They also contain lots of minerals including iron which is especially beneficial if you don’t consume much meat . Try adding them onto salads or using them as part of main dishes such stews/currys !

4 Bake with healthier fats – Instead cooking with oils high in saturated fat try substituting coconut oil when baking cakes/muffins etc., this provides good quality fats our bodies need but still keeps things sweet !

5 Add spices & herbs – Not only do these flavour enhancers bring out the best flavours from food but they come packed full antioxidants too ! So why not experiment by adding cinnamon powder over oatmeal porridge ? Or sprinkling oregano over pasta sauces ? The possibilities really are endless…

Eating healthy doesn't have mean depriving yourself; it's about finding creative ways that work best for YOU—so explore new recipes today!.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Website development has gotten easier every year. Some very solid solutions are available where you can build a full fledged, complex business website in a few days or a week (or less).

Businesses still pay developers 6-figure salaries because problems have to be solved and someone has to have the knowledge on how to get the most of out the tools that exist.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
It will destroy anything that is "white collar Manuel routine task". I used chatgpt to screen up grammatical errors and give me proper academic citations for free where other apps charge for a fee. While chatgpt is perhaps not as good as specialized app with increased learning it soon will.

It will destroy anything that is "creative". They can just write poems, essays and do design as well. Information compilation, transposition and presentation could be done with sufficient natural language processing capability.

It has not yet, (not anytime soon), to be capable of deductive reasoning that a 7 year old is capable of. This is the issue that present AI technology could not break through. If you teach a child how to use a small hammer, and teach him that u need to crack open a nut before eating the fruit, the child can draw the link and use the hammer to smash the nut to get the fruit. The present AI is not capable of doing so unless you specifically taught it to do so. It can only rely on existing data and information. That's why u use AI routinely giving answers that is over generic.

It is not going to replace skilled manual labor such as fixing water pipes and household electrical system.

The present AI seems like a "google accelerator' where it saves the 20 min of my own general research via google and give me a quick and good answer. But itself is a good amazing achievement.

As currently I am using chatgpt actively. The hype over it as I can witness is REAL. It probably going to replace the time of you using a lot of other software (free or paid). You can do much work using shorter time. Just for investment research for example, it used to take 20-30 min to understand a company or project (which you never heard of) at a superficial level, and have your brain crashed needing a 10 min rest. you just need 3 min now with chat gpt.

The best product market fit perhaps is in the education industry currently.
I was wrong to assume that ai is not capable of deductive reasoning, based on old knowledge. Obviously chatgpt could when I tried.

ruzara5

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
May 1, 2011
Currently in Washington State
Hello friends!

Let's take a swing at this one. Been checking it out. Been around since the days that x86 computers started to grow in the late to mid eighties. Some 'high speed morons' those pc systems. They were a great tool designed and configured by smart humans. We tech people. Now do not get me wrong here. Technology is a thing that should help people. People have a real brain. Thoughts. Now step ahead. Internet and other related things. Now step back. Ever seen those animated puppets in arcade standup consoles where it is a game to 'read the future and your fortune' like a Zantar with the genie cap on the head. Now realize it is like the next level of search engine. It is helpful. Yet. Like getting answers in a instant. Chatgpt will help businesses reshape. It cannot answer everything. And that critical human thought will still out fox it in the future. Keep writing. Creative copywriting NEVER dies. Peace.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Haven't tried ChatGPT myself even though I write copy. But the other copy pros I follow on the emails like Kim Krause have tried it out.

Basically they find ChatGP is great for pulling together information, but it's still not very good for simplifying complex information into 'biteable' forms for less-scholarly customers/readers. (If you write copy for health products, some complex medical terms may be illegal to use, or downright difficult for non-doctor readers)

And of course the AI still can't write humorously or adopt our unique human tones.
Can it talk like a cowboy out of a Western? Or sternly like some strict drillmaster? I mean...depending on your market, you do have to consider tones.

I do think ChatGP can actually help with copywriting work though. There is some potential.

Probably we can ask it to do some research or introduce some writing prompts. But for the latter, you might need to try out a few different questions for better answers...and it MIGHT be faster to just hammer out copy the old-fashioned human way.
You could actually get closer to what you want by asking the ai to rewrite the answer in a certain way.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.