The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a Giveaway Empire

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Hey Fastlaners

I've never managed to be too consistent in posting here - but I am very grateful for this space and the people I've learned from and continue learning from. Particular shout out to @Lex DeVille for his Upwork content and @Andy Black for being continually supportive and inspiring.

For a number of years, as part of my social media services to clients, I've been using giveaways (which I've set up in a precise way to go "viral") to grow clients' social media accounts.

I operate in a specific niche, so I have built up a decent list of emails within this niche (at one point 25k+ emails) which I can email whenever I do a new giveaway. This is great for the clients because they get real social media followers that are loosely interested in the niche, and it's great for the email users as they always get relevant giveaways that they're going to be excited about in their inboxes.

We've pruned the list down to about 5k users - firstly because of email marketing software costs, and secondly because it's just good practice. You don't want to be continually emailing people who aren't interested.

Anyway - now you have the background, I've got to tell you that, this is something I have knowingly not been making the most of these past years, other things have just taken priority.

I've known that there is something much bigger in this - and now is the time to execute.

Why now?

I'll be completely honest.

1) Times are hard for my current agency clients. Due to the current economic situation in the world costs have gone through the roof. This is a vulnerability for us as a primary income stream.

2) I want to build a more diverse "portfolio" of income streams anyway. This seems like a great opportunity for that.

3) I'd like to move more into the B2C space. The giveaways business actually offers me that opportunity in a number of ways.

What's the opportunity?

From a high level (we can get into the nitty-gritty later) - I see there being a number of opportunities in taking the giveaways to the next level.

1) More B2B business

This is the most obvious one. Doing what I have been doing and charging brands to run a giveaway to our audience for them. We know that this works, we know that clients are happy with it, we do more of it, we make more money.

Obviously, I would like to streamline the process of actually *selling* this - but, this is something I can work on in time and perhaps even get some insight on from you guys here in the forum.

Just so you understand the scale of the opportunity - right now doing this relatively small scale I charge around $500 per giveaway. I know for a fact that larger operators in my niche are offering a similar (and objectively lower quality) service for upwards of $10k per giveaway.

2) Building an email list

We ALL know that there is huge value in having an email list. In my mind, the game is data and information.

For context, the last giveaway I set up (one week ago) has already added 1.2k people to my email list. The top-of-the-funnel opportunity here is absolutely HUGE. Yes, there are going to be some dud email addresses, and yes there are going to be a lot of freebie hunters. However, there is an opportunity to continually warm up this email list, to gather data about which giveaways they participate in (therefore gathering data on their interests), whether they click offers I might send their way, and whether they buy products that I put in front of them.

Building a good segmented email list that is growing at a large rate is going to give me a number of revenue opportunities:

- Selling my own digital and physical products
- Selling other people’s digital and physical products (affiliate marketing)
- Selling sponsored emails (solo ads)

It’s also worth adding that as the email list builds, the VALUE of #1 increases too - as the giveaways will be larger and have bigger impact.

What's the plan?

The plan, in many ways, is very simple.

Launch giveaways...daily.

Up until now, we've only been running giveaways once or twice a month. By doing giveaways on a daily basis we'll get several benefits:

1) Faster growth of our email list and user base.

2) More momentum - by having multiple giveaways live at once, there will be more opportunity for cross-promoting giveaways, giving B2B customers access to a higher amount of users, and giving us the chance to get in front of more people via the viral elements of our setup.

3) A really great way to frame what we have to offer to B2B clients. We're a daily giveaways site, giving brands the opportunity to grow their social media following by sponsoring giveaways.

4) Gives us a great excuse to stay in front of our email subscribers daily. We're promoting something that is of value to them - even if it's alongside some other kind of ad or offer.

Where now?

The website is currently being worked on. I plan to start launching daily giveaways from Monday.

There's an issue in that, right now not all of the giveaways are sponsored, and so, I've got to source prizes.

For now, I've reached out to a load of contacts who I know would benefit from this and offered them a free giveaway on two conditions. Firstly that they provide a prize with a value of at least $200. Secondly that they provide a testimonial I can use for selling this service in the future.

I'd also like to extend the above offer to anyone on this forum - if you're interested just DM me.

OK - so - I think that's everything. I really welcome any questions or clarification on what I am doing. I will give some more detailed info as we go along and offer you guys as much actionable value as I can.

I'm excited to be starting on this journey - and I am excited to be documenting it here.

✌️

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Fastlaners

I've never managed to be too consistent in posting here - but I am very grateful for this space and the people I've learned from and continue learning from. Particular shout out to @Lex DeVille for his Upwork content and @Andy Black for being continually supportive and inspiring.

For a number of years, as part of my social media services to clients, I've been using giveaways (which I've set up in a precise way to go "viral") to grow clients' social media accounts.

I operate in a specific niche, so I have built up a decent list of emails within this niche (at one point 25k+ emails) which I can email whenever I do a new giveaway. This is great for the clients because they get real social media followers that are loosely interested in the niche, and it's great for the email users as they always get relevant giveaways that they're going to be excited about in their inboxes.

We've pruned the list down to about 5k users - firstly because of email marketing software costs, and secondly because it's just good practice. You don't want to be continually emailing people who aren't interested.

Anyway - now you have the background, I've got to tell you that, this is something I have knowingly not been making the most of these past years, other things have just taken priority.

I've known that there is something much bigger in this - and now is the time to execute.

Why now?

I'll be completely honest.

1) Times are hard for my current agency clients. Due to the current economic situation in the world costs have gone through the roof. This is a vulnerability for us as a primary income stream.

2) I want to build a more diverse "portfolio" of income streams anyway. This seems like a great opportunity for that.

3) I'd like to move more into the B2C space. The giveaways business actually offers me that opportunity in a number of ways.

What's the opportunity?

From a high level (we can get into the nitty-gritty later) - I see there being a number of opportunities in taking the giveaways to the next level.

1) More B2B business

This is the most obvious one. Doing what I have been doing and charging brands to run a giveaway to our audience for them. We know that this works, we know that clients are happy with it, we do more of it, we make more money.

Obviously, I would like to streamline the process of actually *selling* this - but, this is something I can work on in time and perhaps even get some insight on from you guys here in the forum.

Just so you understand the scale of the opportunity - right now doing this relatively small scale I charge around $500 per giveaway. I know for a fact that larger operators in my niche are offering a similar (and objectively lower quality) service for upwards of $10k per giveaway.

2) Building an email list

We ALL know that there is huge value in having an email list. In my mind, the game is data and information.

For context, the last giveaway I set up (one week ago) has already added 1.2k people to my email list. The top-of-the-funnel opportunity here is absolutely HUGE. Yes, there are going to be some dud email addresses, and yes there are going to be a lot of freebie hunters. However, there is an opportunity to continually warm up this email list, to gather data about which giveaways they participate in (therefore gathering data on their interests), whether they click offers I might send their way, and whether they buy products that I put in front of them.

Building a good segmented email list that is growing at a large rate is going to give me a number of revenue opportunities:

- Selling my own digital and physical products
- Selling other people’s digital and physical products (affiliate marketing)
- Selling sponsored emails (solo ads)

It’s also worth adding that as the email list builds, the VALUE of #1 increases too - as the giveaways will be larger and have bigger impact.

What's the plan?

The plan, in many ways, is very simple.

Launch giveaways...daily.

Up until now, we've only been running giveaways once or twice a month. By doing giveaways on a daily basis we'll get several benefits:

1) Faster growth of our email list and user base.

2) More momentum - by having multiple giveaways live at once, there will be more opportunity for cross-promoting giveaways, giving B2B customers access to a higher amount of users, and giving us the chance to get in front of more people via the viral elements of our setup.

3) A really great way to frame what we have to offer to B2B clients. We're a daily giveaways site, giving brands the opportunity to grow their social media following by sponsoring giveaways.

4) Gives us a great excuse to stay in front of our email subscribers daily. We're promoting something that is of value to them - even if it's alongside some other kind of ad or offer.

Where now?

The website is currently being worked on. I plan to start launching daily giveaways from Monday.

There's an issue in that, right now not all of the giveaways are sponsored, and so, I've got to source prizes.

For now, I've reached out to a load of contacts who I know would benefit from this and offered them a free giveaway on two conditions. Firstly that they provide a prize with a value of at least $200. Secondly that they provide a testimonial I can use for selling this service in the future.

I'd also like to extend the above offer to anyone on this forum - if you're interested just DM me.

OK - so - I think that's everything. I really welcome any questions or clarification on what I am doing. I will give some more detailed info as we go along and offer you guys as much actionable value as I can.

I'm excited to be starting on this journey - and I am excited to be documenting it here.

✌️
Clever. I never thought of getting paid to build email lists you can get paid to give giveaways to.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I never thought of getting paid to build email lists
I’ve actually managed to do this in the past using a FREE+Shipping sales funnel…but that’s a completely different story for another day!

farmer79

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 24, 2013
Saskatchewan, Canada
I don’t know anything about this topic but the subject of email lists came up in a recent This Week In Startups. Selena Gomez raised 5 million dollars at a 100 million valuation with essentially nothing but an email list (and her celebrity obviously). Jason Calicanis the host and well known angel investor thought a good consumer email was worth $50 and a good B to B was worth$100-$300. This was much higher than I thought. The discussion takes place at 46 minute mark.

View: https://youtu.be/6vVDphxzWyE

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I don’t know anything about this topic but the subject of email lists came up in a recent This Week In Startups. Selena Gomez raised 5 million dollars at a 100 million valuation with essentially nothing but an email list (and her celebrity obviously). Jason Calicanis the host and well known angel investor thought a good consumer email was worth $50 and a good B to B was worth$100-$300. This was much higher than I thought. The discussion takes place at 46 minute mark.

View: https://youtu.be/6vVDphxzWyE
This is interesting stuff...thanks for sharing!

Let's see how I can do over the next days and weeks. Current count is at 5,836.

HOWEVER, I am not going to be too precious about this number. I am more interested in an *engaged* list, than a large list.

Hope that makes sense!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Hello gang - hope you're all having a great week!

Few updates:
  • Launched a website earlier this week - it now has 4 live giveaways!
  • Email list is *net* growing - we have a 0.55% unsubscribe rate across the board right now - I'm totally cool with that, I don't have any interest in emailing people who don't want my emails.
  • Recorded a multi-video course which goes through my exact process for launching these viral giveaways. I plan to sell this B2B as another income stream and a sort of "top of the funnel" for our "done for you giveaways".
As I am launching giveaways daily, I am finding it really interesting seeing the appeal of certain prizes over others. Trying to make tweaks to the giveaway modules to get good results across the board. As an EXAMPLE giving extra entries on a *popular* giveaway for people who ALSO participate in a *less popular* giveaway

Exciting times. It's been a good week.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Email list is now sitting at 7595 which is lovely growth. The viral elements of the giveaways is working, bringing new people into the ecosystem.

The latest one month giveaway has finished today…will give a full breakdown of the analytics in that later on.

Been chatting to a freelance sales chap about commission-only sales on this “giveaways as a service” setup.

Open to hearing from anyone else who might be interested in selling packages as a side hustle #justsayin

We keep building!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
As I am launching giveaways daily, I am finding it really interesting seeing the appeal of certain prizes over others. Trying to make tweaks to the giveaway modules to get good results across the board. As an EXAMPLE giving extra entries on a *popular* giveaway for people who ALSO participate in a *less popular* giveaway
Also, I feel like is working well.

I added another action which gives people an extra entry for a daily “visit” to the giveaway module on the website.

I suspect this is leading to more social media actions being taken as a whole due to the fact people are returning to the giveaway module and being “reminded” about the social media actions they have it yet taken.

Obviously the viral elements, especially the referral links are purposefully VERY enticing so that we bring more and more people into the ecosystem.

I’ve signed up a new client who are going to use their giveaway to incentivise User Generated Content on social media - so I’m excited to see how that goes - they’ll also give us budget to run Facebook ads against the campaign which will be a great way to get even more people into the giveaway!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Stats from the latest giveaway to finish (for those interested):

Instagram Follows: 2,551
Facebook Likes: 2,205
Retweets of Giveaway Promo Tweet: 1,690
Referred Friends: 728

Client is thrilled (obviously!)

Thoughts on branding / positioning

I've purchased and am currently using a "generic" domain - casting the net wide for "giveaways" in general.

However, I am in a very specific niche, and if a big part of this is building a relevant email list that's going to serve me ad clients in the future, perhaps it makes sense to stay in my lane and focus on and celebrate being a niche website.

Really appreciate any thoughts or advice on this!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Thoughts on branding / positioning

I've purchased and am currently using a "generic" domain - casting the net wide for "giveaways" in general.

However, I am in a very specific niche, and if a big part of this is building a relevant email list that's going to serve me ad clients in the future, perhaps it makes sense to stay in my lane and focus on and celebrate being a niche website.

Really appreciate any thoughts or advice on this!

With this - have decided to work towards a niche website. I think that's what works best for ME and ultimately my clients - I can always expand this out at a later date. Need to stay in my lane.

Numbers Update

Email list currently sitting at 7,747 - so we are seeing growth which is wonderful. Not as fast as I'd like - but I've not run many giveaways the past 2 weeks.

Want to try to get as close to daily as I possibly can - but that does mean HUSTLING sourcing prizes!

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
You are doing these giveaways on your own social media channels?

I don't think I understand why a company would pay someone, to give something away for them. Why can't they just do it themselves? what do they stand to gain, by YOU giving something away for them?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
I don't think I understand why a company would pay someone, to give something away for them. Why can't they just do it themselves? what do they stand to gain, by YOU giving something away for them?
Companies outsource things for many reasons. A common reason is that it is outside of their domain of expertise. Another common reason is that it is cheaper to pay a business to do it rather hire a new employee and train them just for one specific task.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Companies outsource things for many reasons. A common reason is that it is outside of their domain of expertise. Another common reason is that it is cheaper to pay a business to do it rather hire a new employee and train them just for one specific task.
So, what do they gain by someone else giving something away for them?

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
So, what do they gain by someone else giving something away for them?
Its likely cheaper than them hiring someone to do it. If you are a big company, and you have a small number of giveaways a month lets say it costs ~$60K to hire a full time employee (including taxes, benefits, overhead, etc.) if you are only doing a few giveaways a month its cheaper to pay someone else to do it (lets say $1K per giveaway as a fee, at 2-3 giveaways per month) is cheaper than the $5K per month if they hired someone.

Your question is kind of like: "why don't companies do everything themselves".

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Your question is kind of like: "why don't companies do everything themselves"
No, my question was plain as day and you glossed right over it with an answer to a question I didn't ask. I'll rephrase it, slightly, for you... when a company pays someone to give something away for them, what are they gaining from that other person doing so for them?

It seems like the only person benefiting from a giveaway, is the person giving it away. I can't wrap my head around it.

DawnW

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Feb 2, 2015
No, my question was plain as day and you glossed right over it with an answer to a question I didn't ask. I'll rephrase it, slightly, for you... when a company pays someone to give something away for them, what are they gaining from that other person doing so for them?

It seems like the only person benefiting from a giveaway, is the person giving it away. I can't wrap my head around it.
The company paying for the service should get the email addresses....

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK

Most clients do it because they want to grow their social media accounts.

Doing it through us they get the expertise of running a viral giveaway, the tech setup (with the viral share links etc), and the exposure of us promoting the giveaway to our 7000+ strong email list of people who participate regularly in our giveaways.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
Most clients do it because they want to grow their social media accounts.

Doing it through us they get the expertise of running a viral giveaway, the tech setup (with the viral share links etc), and the exposure of us promoting the giveaway to our 7000+ strong email list of people who participate regularly in our giveaways.
I guess I'll hafta read back through your original post again. I'm just as confused as I can be haha. I plan to do some giveaways to grow some of my channels, but this thread has confused the hell out of me. :(

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
With this - have decided to work towards a niche website. I think that's what works best for ME and ultimately my clients - I can always expand this out at a later date. Need to stay in my lane.
Done a 180 on this.

Gone for a general giveaway site. Don't want to be limited to my niche.

Plan is to try and launch giveaways as CLOSE to daily as possible. Right now I don't mind if we don't get "paid" as long as the cost of the prize is covered. That way we can keep growing the email list and make the giveaways larger and more appealing.

At the moment we can guarantee a minimum of 1000 new followers for each giveaway.

My goal is to get this to 5000 as quickly as possible.

I estimate we need to get the email list to about 30k people to be at that point.

So I need to just KEEP creating new giveaways and making the viral elements of the giveaways as enticing as possible so that we grow the email list and get as many new people into our ecosystem as possible.

In terms of getting new clients - I am planning to primarily get leads via Cold Email - I've created a new thread on that here for those of you interested:

Will aim to keep this thread more up-to-date too!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Cold outreach to my network within my niche has been working well. I'm definitely getting enough prizes through to run 2-3 giveaways a week, which is awesome.

This coming week I am going to launch at least 3 giveaways and make sure that my team all know how to set up the giveaways.

One thing that is SO clear to me is that this year I need to be REALLY good at delegating - so - I need to make sure that my team are trained up and ready to support me with things that I don't NEED to do.

Excited to see how the cold emailing goes this week. Would love to get a giveaway live based off the back of that. Would be a huge encouragement.

We'll see!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.