The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

NY Resolutions? No, try making a 1/5/10 Planasy

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since it's the New Year, it's a good time to remind people to examine their 1/5/10 Planasy, if they are written.

This plan, coupled with a weekly and monthly reminder of goals is how to realistically achieve goals, unlike most of the world who only makes goals the first week of January.

This concept is explained in The Great Rat Race Escape .

Here is the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKt59HIl8Ok

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdIpa3FLM

Have you drafted your 1/5/10 plan?

Have you adjusted your 1/5/10 plan?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CanadianTrucker

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jan 22, 2020
Canada
I made a 1/5/10 plan last year but a few things have changed, will have to make an updated version. It definitely helped to stay on track for reaching goals

Lyev

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 12, 2016
Spain
That's really helpful, thank you! Honestly, systems like this one create so much clarity, it's just impossible not to get closer to achieving your mission.

On the same line, I'd recommend doing a monthly review so you can set & refine the strategy for the next one, and keep track of that 1-year vision, breaking it into smaller steps. I find it's easier to make better decisions and choose the next actions this way.

Justin L

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jan 2, 2022
North Carolina, US
Since it's the New Year, it's a good time to remind people to examine their 1/5/10 Planasy, if they are written.

This plan, coupled with a weekly and monthly reminder of goals is how to realistically achieve goals, unlike most of the world who only makes goals the first week of January.

Here is the video:

Thanks for the video! This looks like a great strategy, definitely going to try it.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
On the same line, I'd recommend doing a monthly review

Absolutely, my next YouTube video covers this (and NY's Resolutions) -- it merges the 1/5/10 with daily/weekly actions to tie it all together in a nice little bow... that vid should come out Wed or late Thurs.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
I kind of skimmed through this part in the rat race escape so that is a very useful reminder, thanks.

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
Did my 1/5/10 plan with my wife, as Sam and Jeff.
Now every moring I review it, set my goals according to this and get pumped imagining the realisation of my life.
I set my SMART Goals for 2022 according to this 1/5/10 Planasy.
Now next step : determine my escape number !

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whoops forgot to update this thread with the daily planner, and an explanation why I don’t make NY resolutions.

Bert B

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 10, 2018
Ireland
I created my 1/5/10 Planasy today!

Printed out the Fastlane to-do lists - I've decided to do weekly to-do lists and review them before moving on to the following week. I feel that it's more feasible and achievable where I am at, going by my schedule and workload.
Creating the Planasy was liberating. I can't help the inner critic/doubter, but it's time to believe and know that I can achieve anything with a roadmap.

Also, I made other big decisions this weekend: I have been following a sports team all my life, and I realised that following this sports team has taken up so much energy, focus and life that it's time to cut the cord. Yes, it's an "event" at this moment... but this is added to my already going "process", which was in play but now, I can add more process-driven activities with more time and energy. Already, I feel like I've more time and am more motivated.

I hope this helps anyone out there. I want to add more to this forum too. So, I will engage at least once a week with where I am at that particular moment.

Thanks again @MJ DeMarco - and great to see you back on YouTube - already finished your new book. Kudos!

Bert

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Also, I made other big decisions this weekend: I have been following a sports team all my life, and I realised that following this sports team has taken up so much energy, focus and life that it's time to cut the cord.

Nothing wrong giving your mind a break with some entertainment for a few hours to watch a match. I wouldn't suggest going "full cold turkey" on some leisurely things you enjoy.

Things go off the rails when you start arguing on social media for hours after hours about how "your team" is better and "X player" is overrated. What a freaking waste.

Bert B

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 10, 2018
Ireland
Nothing wrong giving your mind a break with some entertainment for a few hours to watch a match. I wouldn't suggest going "full cold turkey" on some leisurely things you enjoy.

Things go off the rails when you start arguing on social media for hours after hours about how "your team" is better and "X player" is overrated. What a freaking waste.
I hear you: I think the fan channels, politics, and drama surrounding the club is more what I mean. I'll keep up to date with the results, highlights, etc. but I'm giving up the big emotional ties and the deep discussion around the club as it drains me.

I do agree, one needs entertainment; I find it more in film and books. Plus, that's my side hustle work (and prospective Fastlane Business) so it's a win-win, be entertained and educated.

Thanks for taking the time to reply @MJ DeMarco

Bert

GIUSEPPE PELL

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 8, 2022
Italia
Dato che è il nuovo anno, è un buon momento per ricordare alle persone di esaminare il loro Planasy 1/5/10, se sono scritti.

Questo piano, insieme a un promemoria settimanale e mensile degli obiettivi, è come raggiungere realisticamente gli obiettivi, una differenza realizza solo la prima settimana di gennaio.

Questo concetto è spiegato in The Great Rat Race Escape .

Ecco il video:

Visualizza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKt59HIl8Ok

Visualizza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdIpa3FLM

Hai redatto il tuo pianoforte 1/5/10?

Hai modificato il tuo pianoforte 1/5/10?

Dato che è il nuovo anno, è un buon momento per ricordare alle persone di esaminare il loro Planasy 1/5/10, se sono scritti.

Questo piano, insieme a un promemoria settimanale e mensile degli obiettivi, è come raggiungere realisticamente gli obiettivi, a differenza della maggior parte del mondo che obiettivi realizza solo la prima settimana di gennaio.

Questo concetto è spiegato in The Great Rat Race Escape .

Ecco il video:

Visualizza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKt59HIl8Ok

Visualizza: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdIpa3FLM

Hai redatto il tuo pianoforte 1/5/10?

Hai modificato il tuo pianoforte 1/5/10?
ciao MJ (mi scuso in anticipo per il mio google english), prima di tutto volevo congratularmi con te per il libro "the millionaire fastlane ", a dir poco fantastico!!!
poi volevo chiederti dove è stato possibile scaricare il pdf Planasy 1/5/10...non trovo il relativo link.
grazie mille e ti auguro una buona giornata

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
I once in a while do this, On twitter and Instagram while watching a live game. I guess its my way to vent my frustrations and excitement. Ha ha ha..

EngineerThis

Accelerate your New Product Launch!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 26, 2014
Traverse City, MI
If I may be so bold to add on to this... An easier way to get the ball rolling is to think in terms of skills... What skills can I acquire to help me reach these goals? Skills are easy to master (Usually) and provide a good stairway to goals, not to mention provide loads of confidence, as you master them... Here's some examples..
-Learning to write better, or communicate more effectively
-Learning how to use Excel or other organizational programs
-Learning basic accounting skills
-Learning how to do basic web design, coding
-Learning basic video editing, for making promo's and campaigns
-Learning 3D CAD design
-Learning Real Estate, even becoming an agent!
And infinitely many more! Depending what field you want to enter, these are just a few of things I've tackled.. That I know will benefit me in the future!

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Let's see if it'll help me stay on track.
One of the things I wrote down was "start first Chopin Etude in one year"
I'm already kinda scared haha

BrazenFoxx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Sep 1, 2022
Cambridge, UK
Hi MJ DeMarco, I have the audible books and I've hunted around the forum for a downloads section but I can't seem to find the to-do list / goals planning page to download anywhere. Please can you help? Thanks :)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Check the email in which you received when you registered (or the Private Message) there should be a link there for the PDF printer version.

The online version of this 1/5/10 goal setting system can be found at the provided link. That should be live something this month or next.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

Here is the video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdIpa3FLM

This is very good! This is a way not to get overwhelmed by thoughts and worries about the future but at the same time doing NOW what's useful to each Your goals! Thank You!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

geronalb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2023
Portugal
I have used planning and journaling systems to make progress with art. It is baffling to believe that such concepts could be taken to broader focus and horizons. Quite a catch, I might say.

Thank you for sharing this insight. It is quite late here as I write this, but I will invest in creating my own 1-5-10 Planasy tomorrow morning, first things first. Bless you, my friend.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021
I have a question.
In the older version planner, MY ONE THING TO DO must be done before MY PRIMARY TO DOs.
However, oftentimes I find that my long term goal work happens late at night aftr my 9 to 5 job. This means that it is not possible to do the former before the latter.

Anyone else realise this ?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
In the older version planner, MY ONE THING TO DO must be done before MY PRIMARY TO DOs.

I often tackle Primary Tasks before my Power Task, depending on the Power Task.

The important thing is to get it done for that day.

Another tactic I like to use (Which will be incorporated into GoalSumo.com in a future update) is the concept of 1 goal, 1 week.

I found that focusing on one big goal (which can be accomplished in 3-10 days) above all else, increases productivity and focus, especially if you have 20 different goals floating in your ether.

Peter Abrahamian

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 22, 2020

Another tactic I like to use (Which will be incorporated into GoalSumo.com in a future update) is the concept of 1 goal, 1 week.

I found that focusing on one big goal (which can be accomplished in 3-10 days) above all else, increases productivity and focus, especially if you have 20 different goals floating in your ether.
I don't know if you mind me asking but is there a rough estimate of when the new big update supposed to come out? The update that is going to change the Goal chain system, have target dates, etc? Sorry, just curious.

SSTrey

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
May 24, 2021

Great, thanks MJ. Appreciate the reply.
To date I have been working on getting it done during the day even when not sequence specific.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
@MJ DeMarco, I hope all is well today. Having a hard time differentiating habits from tasks and know I should just focus on goal-related tasks. Can you please provide a 1/5/10 paper filled out as an example?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.