The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Great books that are NOT best-sellers. Share yours.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Compilation has turned into quite a project as I received 500+ submissions. Sadly, most of the submissions are best-selling books from best-selling authors, so every book needs to be reviewed.
impatiently waiting! Thank you for this list in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tony.vujeva

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 23, 2020
Hope it clarified a bit, @tony.vujeva

Thank you so much, indeed it is!

Compilation has turned into quite a project as I received 500+ submissions. Sadly, most of the submissions are best-selling books from best-selling authors, so every book needs to be reviewed.

Thank you so much @MJ DeMarco! I really appreciate every effort you've put in. Take your time, and really looking forward to the list. Keep being amazing!

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
Listen so other's will talk by Becky Harling. Talk so people will listen by Steve Brown.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was actually going through the list people provided on my internal query... my reading list just grew by 10X. Had over 500 responses. About 25% were auto-disqualified for already being best sellers. Normally I don't read books for the sake of reading, but I found some real interesting stuff.

As for when I'll have the official PDF file for reading, it is still being compiled. Obviously I have a lot of other things going on in my life, so it is a bit lower-priority.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

JustMorpheus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Dec 18, 2021

Book: A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future​

Author: Daniel H. Pink
Genre: Business

Subject/Description: This book explains that those who master right-brain thinking(Empathy, Meaning/Spiritual, Creativity - Storytelling, Design, Symphony, etc.) will succeed the best in the future. Due to many jobs leaving America, those who have skills that can't be easily outsource(those mentioned above), will have a great advantage in the coming years.
(optional) Amazon Link:
Book: The Dhammapada (Easwaran's Classics of Indian Spirituality Book 3)

Author: Eknath Easwaran
Genre: Spirituality
Subject/Description: Nuggets of wisdom from the Buddha. This book is very useful for developing spiritually. Completely changed my outlook on life.
(optional) Amazon Link:

NickVGreen

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jan 22, 2019
Book: Ascendance of a Bookworm (series)
Author: Miya Kazuki
Genre:
Fantasy/Manga/Entrepreneurship
Subject/Description:
Essentially "Entrepreneurship: The Fantasy Manga/Comic Book."

The main character is a young Japanese woman reincarnated as a sickly young peasant girl in a harsh, hierarchical fantasy world who sets on a series of entrepreneurial ventures (using her knowledge from her previous life, lots of trial and error and the people around her) in order get ahold of the books she craves. Just about every one of her executions faces some obstacle, whether due to her imperfect memory of the process, an immediate lack of resources, or societal pressure or lack of awareness of the culture. Her setbacks sometimes bring about despair, but she pulls herself together with the determination to try out whatever she has to in order to reach her goal.

While the setup, the trappings and the main storyline are all fantasy, it is an intensely entrepreneurial story with one of the most entrepreneurial fictional characters I've come across. She is inspiring in how she applies herself toward prototyping, trying out alternatives, pulling herself together and out of a rut, and then continually moving on to the next stage/project with her eye on the prize. Her use of the people around her is also a reminder of the importance of getting assistance if there is something you are unable to do (which is most things for her because of her sickliness). All of her efforts also involve solving problems and improving conditions around her.

And if not for you, then maybe for your kids or younger people you want to make aware of entrepreneurship. I now give it alongside The Millionaire Fastlane (and other books) as a gift whenever I'm attending a confirmation.

Amazon Link: Ascendance of a Bookworm

Rauschmi

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 7, 2021
Oceanside, CA
Book: Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents
Author: Lindsay Gibson
Genre: Self-development
Subject/Description: Helps adults who have had immature parents during their upbringing heal from emotional neglect and other causes. We as children growing up need emotional support for various use cases or events that occur during our lifetime. If this is not provided by our parents when we become adults. It will be hard for us to communicate with others and express how we feel. We also get this huge self-worth problem as if people just don't care at all. This book opened my eyes to what has happened in my upbringing. I was neglected by my parents, I was the kid on the computer. My parents barely checked in with me. I was "straight as an arrow" as they will say, meaning that I always knew what I wanted to do growing up. I was the kid they never had to worried about which thus created that exclusion feeling I felt back then of not being paid attention to. Definitely a good book for anyone who needs self-healing and might I add my parents were the distant parents.

Definitely a great book, a must read. Yes, I've read it. I think @Red recommended this one to me.

This book definitely shed some light on my childhood, and even to this day. I had my wife read it as well. And lets just say she was shocked and could only read it in short periods. It was too emotional for her to realize and deal with all the things that happened to her growing up. And yes, also to this current day.
Absolutely recommend for everyone.

As I have heard: Nobody escapes childhood without some trauma.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
This book definitely shed some light on my childhood, and even to this day. I had my wife read it as well. And lets just say she was shocked and could only read it in short periods. It was too emotional for her to realize and deal with all the things that happened to her growing up. And yes, also to this current day.
Absolutely recommend for everyone.

As I have heard: Nobody escapes childhood without some trauma.

I have another good book your wife can read. It states it's a national best seller, I don't know if it's a New York Best Times Seller.

I didn't do my due diligence on this one, but I picked up a book this past Friday called "Running on Empty" by Jonice Webb.

It's about overcoming emotional neglect. It dives deeper into the topic versus the other book I recommend on this form.

It goes deeper into the different kinds of parents and as well as the different kinds of emotional neglect that was caused.

It also gives you a roadmap to self-care.

I have to say, this book has made a huge impact on me these past few days as if a rock has been lifted off my chest.

The first book gave me the awareness of what emotional neglect is and the kinds of parents.

But this book goes into the "how" and "what" caused the emotional neglect.

It definitely made me reflect on my past childhood and also made me feel/understand the possibilities of how I would act to my own children when I have them someday.

It gave me a new perspective moving forward to understand what kind of person I shouldn't become based on my experience between my real father and real mother.

It gave me the perspective of a totally new direction to become an entirely different parent for my kids than how my parents treated me.

It helped fill the missing void towards how I was feeling for the past two years of emptiness. I am very grateful for noticing this book.

I now realize that it wasn't my fault, but it's this generational cycle that causes emotional neglect from one generation to another. Unless someone becomes aware of it, it will never stop.

Hope this helps!

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
This is a great book on marketing and web design:

Book description​

“While you’re reading Neuro Web Design, you’ll probably find yourself thinking ‘I already knew that…’ a lot. But when you’re finished, you’ll discover that your ability to create effective web sites has mysteriously improved. A brilliant idea for a book, and very nicely done.”
— Steve Krug, author of Don’t Make Me Think!
A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability

Why do people decide to buy a product online? Register at your Web site? Trust the information you provide? Neuro Web Design applies the research on motivation, decision making, and neuroscience to the design of Web sites. You will learn the unconscious reasons for people’s actions, how emotions affect decisions, and how to apply the principles of persuasion to design Web sites that encourage users to click.

Neuro Web Design employs “neuro-marketing” concepts, which are at the intersection of psychology and user experience. It’s scientific, yet you’ll find it accessible, easy to read, and easy to understand. By applying the concepts and examples in this book, you’ll be able to dramatically increase the effectiveness and conversion rates of your own Web site.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Book: The Million-Dollar, One-Person Business
The million dollar one person business.jpg
Author: Elaine Pofeldt
Genre: Home-Based Businesses
Subject/Description (My take...clcik the book link to get the Amazong description):

If you read the Great Rat Race Escape then this is like an alternative REAL WORLD case study addendum you can reference.

It might be useful for others to be able to run through the CENTS filter, and get some ideas going on other businesses you might want to consider.

See how others were able to pull it off and get a sense of inspiration on how possible this really is.

I dunno...

I really found it useful and it's DEF not a best seller.

Useful?

(optional) Amazon Link: → Click here to check it out

clanis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 13, 2020
Italy
Book: The Bottleneck Rules
Author: Clarke Ching
Genre: workplace productivity
Subject/Description: a simplified introduction to the core of the Theory of Constraints (TOC); how to find, tame and manage bottlenecks in organizations
(optional) Amazon Link: Amazon link

In the same series are two other books, one on software project management and the last on problem solving and leadership.

Book: Rolling Rocks Downhill
Genre: software project management
Subject/Description: the concepts of Theory of Constraints (TOC) applied to software production

Book: CorkScrew Solutions
Genre: problem solving
Subject/Description: how great leaders solve seemingly impossible problems

PillowMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 25, 2021
Florida
These are all books I have finished and believe are high value to the community. They are all available on Audible and will be linked to Audible. Enjoy!

Book: Confessions of a Real Estate Entrepreneur
Author: James A Randel
Genre: Business | Entrepreneurship
Subject/Description: Real Estate. The author talks about how investing in real estate as a creative problem solver generates the highest returns at the lowest cost. Outside the box approach to being more than a real estate investor but becoming an innovator in real estate.
(optional) Amazon Link: Audible is better so here - Link

Book: Winning Through Intimidation
Author: Robert Ringer
Subject/Description: Negotiating. This books is from the 80's I believe but its an eyeopener to the 3 main types of people you will meet. The author teaches what to expect and how to protect yourself against them. Highly recommend if you ever have to negotiate.

Book: Credit Is King: Transforming Your Credit to Royalty
Author: Will Roundtree
Genre: Personal Finance
Subject/Description: Credit Building. Learn how the credit rating agencies work to fix your credit and maximize your score.

Book: Am I Being Too Subtle
Author: Sam Zell
Genre: Business Biography
Subject/Description: Business Development. Life story and business career of one the greatest living real estate entrepreneurs that created the largest Real Estate Investment Trust at the time of sale, Equity Office. He sold it to Blackstone group for $39 Billion in 2007 before the crash.

Book: The Money Game
Author: Adam Smith (No not the famous economist that wrote The Wealth of Nations)
Genre: Investing
Subject/Description: The Stock market and how you it really works, told as a story.

Book: Business Credit Decoded
Author: TY L Crandall
Subject/Description: How to step by step build business credit and the firms responsible for business credit reporting. *I cant stress how important this book is. If you don't know who Dun and Bradstreet is then this is required reading.

Book: The Gap and The Gain
Author: Dan Sullivan and Dr.Benjamin Hardy
Genre: Personal Development
Subject/Description: Performance and Mindset management by learning how to measure your success and failures with a growth approach. *boarder line at 1,400 reviews but too good not to share.

Last edited:

shashikr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
May 8, 2022
india
None of my books have ever hit the New York Times best-seller list, and yet, I have sold more than most NYTs best sellers. Interesting don't ya say? That means, you were likely RECOMMENDED the book by a trusted friend, or a YouTube channel.

Recently in the Unscripted Text Network, I asked people to share their best book recommendations that are NOT best-sellers. And by BEST-SELLER I mean something from a NON-FAMOUS author that that isn't widely known.

That said, what is a great, "must read" book that is not widely known, hyped, or publicized? If you have a great book recommendation that is NOT widely known, like an underground *hidden-gem* favorite, please post and I will compile the data and share later.

DO NOT SHARE A BOOK THAT HAS OVER 2,000 REVIEWS AT AMAZON.
DO NOT SHARE A BOOK THAT LIKELY HAS BEEN RECOMMENDED OVER, AND OVER.
DO NOT SHARE A BOOK FROM A FAMOUS AUTHOR

If I see anything by Clear, Napoleon Hill, Goggins, Hormozi, Greene, Taleb, I will puke. Then I will delete the post.

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

My intention is to compile this data in an easy to read format organized by subject and then share.
Book:Raja Yoga
Author:Swami Vivekananda
Genre: Spiritual
Description: This book is an eye opener for suffering and pain in life. It shows you how powerful the mind is and how to be conscious. This book is so deep that you may not understand it in a first go.
Amazon link: Buy Raja-Yoga or Conquering the Internal Nature Book Online at Low Prices in India | Raja-Yoga or Conquering the Internal Nature Reviews & Ratings - Amazon.in

Last edited:

Victor Newman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 23, 2022
None of my books have ever hit the New York Times best-seller list, and yet, I have sold more than most NYTs best sellers. Interesting don't ya say? That means, you were likely RECOMMENDED the book by a trusted friend, or a YouTube channel.

Recently in the Unscripted Text Network, I asked people to share their best book recommendations that are NOT best-sellers. And by BEST-SELLER I mean something from a NON-FAMOUS author that that isn't widely known.

That said, what is a great, "must read" book that is not widely known, hyped, or publicized? If you have a great book recommendation that is NOT widely known, like an underground *hidden-gem* favorite, please post and I will compile the data and share later.

If I see anything by Clear, Napoleon Hill, Goggins, Hormozi, Greene, Taleb, I will puke. Then I will delete the post.

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

My intention is to compile this data in an easy to read format organized by subject and then share.

Title/link: From Predators to Icons: Exposing the Myth of the Business Hero From Predators to Icons: Exposing the Myth of the Business Hero: Villette, Michel, Vuillermot, Catherine, Holoch, George, Kimberly, John R.: 9780801475665: Amazon.com: Books

Author: Michel Villette

Description/Summary from Malcom Gladwell:

Victor Newman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 23, 2022

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

Title/link:

Please use this format:

Book:
Author:
Genre:
Subject/Description:
(optional) Amazon Link:

Title/link:
Why Greatness Cannot Be Planned: The Myth of the Objective Amazon.com: Why Greatness Cannot Be Planned: The Myth of the Objective eBook : Stanley, Kenneth O., Lehman, Joel: Kindle Store

Author: Kenneth O Stanley

Genre: Artificial Intelligence/Life/Evolution

Product Description:
Why does modern life revolve around objectives? From how science is funded, to improving how children are educated -- and nearly everything in-between -- our society has become obsessed with a seductive illusion: that greatness results from doggedly measuring improvement in the relentless pursuit of an ambitious goal. In Why Greatness Cannot Be Planned, Stanley and Lehman begin with a surprising scientific discovery in artificial intelligence that leads ultimately to the conclusion that the objective obsession has gone too far. They make the case that great achievement can't be bottled up into mechanical metrics; that innovation is not driven by narrowly focused heroic effort; and that we would be wiser (and the outcomes better) if instead we whole-heartedly embraced serendipitous discovery and playful creativity.

Controversial at its heart, yet refreshingly provocative, this book challenges readers to consider life without a destination and discovery without a compass.

PillowMan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 25, 2021
Florida
Book: The Bottleneck Rules
Genre: workplace productivity
Subject/Description: a simplified introduction to the core of the Theory of Constraints (TOC); how to find, tame and manage bottlenecks in organizations

In the same series are two other books, one on software project management and the last on problem solving and leadership.

Book: Rolling Rocks Downhill
Genre: software project management
Subject/Description: the concepts of Theory of Constraints (TOC) applied to software production

Book: CorkScrew Solutions
Genre: problem solving
Subject/Description: how great leaders solve seemingly impossible problems
I've run across The Bottleneck Rules before but didn't pull the trigger on it. This pushed me over the line to grab, thanks for the recommendation.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
A big shout out for:
Outbound Sales No Fluff
by R Reisert

Book totally lives up to its name. There is not a spec of fluff or filler anywhere in this book. Just hard won and practical experience.

Progressive Partnerships: The Future of Business
by C. Laing
Written by an experienced pro. This book takes everything you ever thought about marketing an unknown business brand or personal brand on its head. A fascinating and massively under-rated book.

Pitch Anything
by O. Klaff
There are some things which I've always believed to be true about sales which I've never seen in print before. Then I read Pitch Anything and see these thoughts in print. Klaff deftly shows that humans actually sub-consciously interact with each other on an animal-level first rather than suited-and-booted business people. A fascinating read.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Title/link: From Predators to Icons: Exposing the Myth of the Business Hero From Predators to Icons: Exposing the Myth of the Business Hero: Villette, Michel, Vuillermot, Catherine, Holoch, George, Kimberly, John R.: 9780801475665: Amazon.com: Books

Author: Michel Villette

Description/Summary from Malcom Gladwell:

Wuh? Is this book written by you? The book is over 10 years old and has 1 review.

Also, by title judging, it also sounds like socialist tripe, you know, those "evil business owners" are the source of all the world's problems, despite being the impetus for a massive standard of living advance.

Victor Newman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 23, 2022
Wuh? Is this book written by you? The book is over 10 years old and has 1 review.

Also, by title judging, it also sounds like socialist trope, you know, those "evil business owners" are the source of all the world's problems, despite being the impetus for a massive standard of living advance.
Definitely not written by me or socialist in my view.

The book was never intended for a mainstream audience.

It's not a condemnation of the predatory nature of business nor a celebration of it.

Just story's of people like Ted Turner and Bernard Arnault.

Read malcolm gladwells
article on it and you can probably skip the book.

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
That really is a great book
Book: Personality Isn't Permanent
Author: Benjamin Hardy
Genre: Self-Development
Subject/Description: I am still in the process of reading this book, but I found it at Barnes N Nobles. The cover caught my eye. This book talks about how your personality is not permanent and how one person can change. There are tests such as the MBTI and Enneagram to be exact that people take to identify and learn personality characteristic traits about themselves. These tests in a sense help people understand themselves and who they might be. But Dr.Hardy demonstrates how one person can change through scientific evidence or a study showing one person can change by showing you a step-by-step process that is laid out in the book.

In my personal opinion, these tests are fun to read, but not to be solely relied on. I feel like if you solely rely on these tests, then I believe you essentially are giving up your power to change and are trying to fit yourself in this "box" per se allowing a test to define who you are and what you can and cannot do. I don't like this one bit.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just to update, this report of books that are great reads, but not a best-seller, is still delayed.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands

'THE MACHINE - UNDER THE SPELL OF BOOKING.COM​

1663223269552.jpeg

Booking.com, one of the richest and most successful internet companies in Europe, has been a mystery for twenty-five years. Everyone knows the website, but no one knows the people and the stories behind this deeply Dutch company in U.S. hands. Until now. Three journalists from the major Dutch NRC newspaper present a detailed reconstruction of the dark internet fairy tale of Booking.com, from an idea built by a group of engineering students in Twente in the late 1990s to its development into the largest and most powerful hotel booking platform in world.

This is the never-before told story of Booking's rise, zenith and moral decay; of extravagant parties, runaway internet experiments, duped shareholders, manhandling managers and boardroom squabbles. Above all, it is the story of a company that built the supreme online money-making machine, but in the eternal quest for more, forgot the human beings behind it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any suggestions on what to name this document of compiled books?

Some quick thoughts...

101 Must-Read Business and Self-Development Books Not Hyped on Any Best-Seller List ...
101 Great Business and Self-Development Books You Never Heard Of...

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY

Some quick thoughts...

101 Must-Read Business and Self-Development Books Not Hyped on Any Best-Seller List ...
I think that the first one you listed is perfect. Gets right to the point.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

Some quick thoughts...

101 Underground Business and Self-Development Books The Mainstream Doesn't Want You To Read..

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia

Some quick thoughts...

- Discover the 101 Amazing Self-Dev Books Very Few People Know About
- 101 Great Business Books You're Probably Mising out on
- Fastlane Entrepreneurs Reveal their 101 Hidden Gem Books
- 101 Life-changing Business Books the Mainstream Media Will Never Recommend
- 101 Hidden Gems of Self Development Better than any Bestseller
- Don't read another Bestseller Before you see these 101 Undiscovered Gems
- They Don't want You to Read These 101 Books
- There's a Mountain of Gold in these 101 Little-known Books
- Looking for Your Next Favourite Business book? Here's 101 of Them!
- 101 Undiscovered Business Books Entrepreneurs Swear by

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.